Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just watched the first two episodes of this, and one thing is bothering me; What happens to his clothes? When he dies in the train crash the watch stays behind because he dropped it, but the clothes he was wearing (and presumably anything in his pockets) vanished with him, then he appears naked in the water. Where are his clothes? Where's his wallet? His phone? How does he get them back? He must be able to get them back or there's no way he would still have that watch.

Also I'm not keen on the nemesis thing so far, but I'm willing to believe that it could turn out OK.

Seriously though, what happens to his clothes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

That was a decent episode. I can't help but notice that Henry hasn't died in a while.

If you took the flashbacks out of this episode, you could entirely ignore the fact that he's immortal. And the flashbacks didn't really add anything, they just seemed to be there to remind us of the premise of the show, even though it wasn't relevant this time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Another episode where Henry being immortal just doesn't come up at all. This premise is so wasted. He didn't even kill himself at the end to cure his bullet wound.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Well he did die in that flashback.
The flashback didn't really add anything to the episode though. It seemed to exist just so they could have him die and come back in the episode.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I want more of the Adam plot but they don't need to find a contrived way for him to die every episode.
Yeah, I don't want them to have him die every episode or anything like that, but these episodes where the premise is totally irrelevant aren't any better, in my opinion. They almost made it relevant with him being reckless and not caring too much about being shot, but I'm pretty sure the exact same thing has happened in Castle. He doesn't come across as reckless because he's immortal, just as pretty standard for this type of character in this sort of show.

The Adam plot has potential, but we haven't really got any idea where it's heading yet, and I'm getting the impression that it's kind of on the back burner because the writers haven't worked out where they're going with it. The whole show kind of feels like that. They have a cool premise but they haven't figured out what to do with it,

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm getting really impatient with this show for something to happen. Normally the larger plot arcs in cop shows just annoy me, but him being immortal is the whole premise and they're just not doing anything with it. If Adam's not going to start doing something then Martinez needs to find out that Henry is immortal. If they just wanted to make a new version of Castle I'd be fine with that, but you can't just have your protagonist be immortal and then make that totally irrelevant.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Kind of hoping the season finale has him dying right in front of whatshername (and/or the assistant ME) and then season 2 can pick up with the 'wtf is this Henry' fallout.
Season finale? You want them to wait entire first season before doing anything with the premise?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PaulDirac posted:

I had good hopes for them keeping good pace in the storyline. But after last episode im not so sure anymore. I think there is a big chance we get a castle-esque show out of this where it takes a fuckton of time for the plot to develop whilst filling time with solving random murders noone is really interested in.

Except that with Castle the murder of the week was the whole point of the show and the overarching plot was terrible and unnecessary.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I was suspicious of the therapist from the start, but what sold it for me was something I caught in the interview that Henry missed: when Henry said that he had his roommate Abe as a friend and confidante, the therapist said "yes, but don't you think you should have someone closer to your own age?" and how would he know how old Abe was?
I spotted that but couldn't tell if it was an intentional hint or just a mistake in the script.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm glad they didn't try and hide the identity for another half-season.
I'm still annoyed that he hasn't told Martinez that he's immortal. And the fact that he almost did in this episode just makes it worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Another episode where the premise is totally irrelevant. I'm beginning to think the writers are just loving with us. Either that or they just really wanted to make a generic cop show but needed the immortality gimmick to sell it, but never actually intended to use it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I'm not sure you can really say this when the entire eleventh episode is about nothing except the immortality stuff. That reveal at the end. :stonk:

But it didn't have any effect on anything. One episode later and everything's the same as it was one episode before.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't think you get network procedurals.
I do. My point is that if it only comes up in one episode, then it's not relevant. If it's not coming up in the plot of most episodes then it's not really having any effect on the show.

WarLocke posted:

And while I get that this is a procedural, they don't need to take things as slow as they have been. Shows like Arrow are popular because they jettison most of the procedural filler stuff, while Forever feels like it's trying to fit the Castle mold of mostly filler with the occasional arc tidbit.
The key difference between Castle and Forever is that Castle isn't keeping his thing secret. The fact that he's a writer, not a cop, comes up all the time. Everyone knows about it, it influences the plot of the show fairly continuously. At least in the early seasons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm confused by Abraham. Henry found him when he was a baby, right? So how does he have a concentration camp tattoo? If he even had one at that age, wouldn't it be faded and stretched to illegibility? And how did Henry know his name was Abraham but not what his surname was? And why does he talk like a New York Jew and use words like "mensch"? His backstory just doesn't seem to match his character to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

He was found as a baby whilst liberating a concentration camp.

I know. That doesn't explain anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sober posted:

Eh, I'm kinda wary it's any historical figure because someone would've noticed he up and disappeared while about 2 dozen or so people were watching?

Maybe that's why he was officially declared a god after his death though?

• Locked thread