Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

:siren:WHOOPS, IGNORE ALL THAT, JUST SCROLL DOWN AND FORGET YOU EVER SAW THIS:siren:

quote:

NEW AMSTERDAM centers on a brilliant and enigmatic New York homicide detective unlike any other. And he has a profound secret -- he is immortal.

In 1642, JOHN AMSTERDAM (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), then a Dutch solider in the colony of New Amsterdam -- later to become New York City -- stepped in front of a sword to save the life of a Native American girl during a massacre of her indigenous tribe. The girl in turn rescued Amsterdam, weaving an ancient spell that conferred immortality upon him. Amsterdam will not age, she told him, until he finds his one true love. Only then will he become whole and ready for mortality.

Starring:
  • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as John Amsterdam
  • Zuleikha Robinson as Eva Marquez
  • Alexie Gilmore as Dr. Sara Millay Dillane
  • Stephen Henderson as Omar York
  • Susan Misner as Detective Sergeant Callie Burnett

:siren:WHOOPS, IGNORE ALL THAT, JUST SCROLL DOWN AND FORGET YOU EVER SAW THIS:siren:

SPOILER ALERT: he dies in the first episode

Forever premieres at 10pm EST on Monday 22 September and then again in its regular timeslot on at 10PM on Tuesdays starting on 23 September.

quote:

Doctor Henry Morgan (Ioan Gruffudd), New York City's star medical examiner, has a secret. He doesn't just study the dead to solve criminal cases, he does it to solve the mystery that has eluded him for 200 years—the answer to his own inexplicable immortality. This long life has given Henry remarkable observation skills which impresses his new partner Detective Jo Martinez (Alana De La Garza), but piques her curiosity about who he is. Each week, a new case and their budding friendship will reveal layers of Henry's long and colorful past. Only his best friend and confidant, Abe (Judd Hirsch) knows Henry's secret.

Forever was written and executive-produced by Matt Miller (Chuck, Las Vegas). Dan Lin (Sherlock Holmes, Gangster Squad) and Jennifer Gwartz (Veronica Mars, Cupid, Party Down) are executive producers. Forever was directed by Brad Anderson and is produced by Warner Bros. Television.

Trailer | Full pilot preview

Cast

• Dr. Henry Morgan played by Ioan Gruffudd - New York's star medical examiner. Over 200 years old and can't seem to die or even age. When he is killed, he returns, completely naked, emerging from a body of water. SPOILER ALERT: he dies in the first episode
  • Detective Jo Martinez played by Alana De La Garza - One of the youngest of NYPD's homicide detectives, but one of the best. She recently lost her husband.
  • Abe played by Judd Hirsch - Henry's oldest friend and the only one who knows his secret.
  • Lieutenant Joanna Reece played by Lorraine Toussaint
  • Detective Hanson played by Donnie Keshawarz
  • Lucas played by Joel David Moore

I hope you didn't read the beginning of the post. Funny story, that ...

SPOILER ALERT: he dies in the first episode

Sober fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Bumping this because it's airing tonight. You can watch the pilot still I think that's linked in the OT. It's actual timeslot is tomorrow on at Tuesdays.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah I'll make sure to edit it in. I just realized it airs Monday last week too. Well, I guess here is this week's episode.

quote:

"The Art of Murder"

Memories brought on by an investigation into a wealthy matriarch's death torment Henry.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

quote:

"The Pugilist Break"

A former junkie --now a community activist -- turns up dead of an apparent overdose.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

If you took the flashbacks out of this episode, you could entirely ignore the fact that he's immortal. And the flashbacks didn't really add anything, they just seemed to be there to remind us of the premise of the show, even though it wasn't relevant this time.
Well, very loosely relevant. Wonder if that's a thing they're gonna keep doing or they'll drop it unless it's a little stronger, I didn't really feel much about it this time around.

Last week's episode was alright. This one sounds pretty interesting though.

quote:

"The Frustrating Thing About Psychopaths"

Henry and Jo investigate homicides that mimic those of Jack the Ripper and the Black Dahlia murder.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I've seen a few episodes here or there, how is this doing in the ratings?
Doing solid enough it got a full season order.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tonight is the fall finale for the show.

quote:

Skinny Dipper

As the anonymous caller tries to frame Henry for murder, Henry contemplates revealing the truth.

Also a spoiler I guess: they tell you who Adam is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Abe knows the whole time so I assumed he was just careful not to show pictures of his father to anyone.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's back this week. Caught the Canada airing. Really good episode this week, probably one of the better ones, though for a first season most of them are pretty on-point IMO considering this is supposed to be a procedural.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I'm confused by Abraham. Henry found him when he was a baby, right? So how does he have a concentration camp tattoo? If he even had one at that age, wouldn't it be faded and stretched to illegibility? And how did Henry know his name was Abraham but not what his surname was? And why does he talk like a New York Jew and use words like "mensch"? His backstory just doesn't seem to match his character to me.
Sure, it probably would stretch almost away, but it's done more as a visual cue from the pilot where they hold the baby and you see that tattoo, then it cuts to present-day Abraham's forearm tattoo. Presumably they could've just gave him a name on the spot as well, but I liked what they did. Fiction, how does it work?

And obviously he was raised in New York, and he would've had questions really early when he realized no one else probably had numbers tattooed on their forearm, so someone if not his adoptive parents, would've told him about all of it, and he decided to make it part of his identity.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I feel like other than a few average episodes early on, especially the last few and this week's (blame Canada :canada:) are very strong, and the writers have really found their step. I hope they can keep it up, I really do.

I know a lot of people poo-poo on the show not reaching harder into Adam and the bigger IMMORTALITY mythology of the show (I do sometimes wish they used the immortal aspect more often but I feel like the show is mostly about Henry coming back out of his shell and seeing the world differently than he has in previous decades of life.) but I do like that a lot of the cases tie back into Henry somehow, if not directly, then at least it seems to tie in very well to each episode's theme/message, and I feel as it's gotten better at it, especially with incorporating Henry's flashbacks into it. I know for some it might be a little too on the nose, but I certainly find it much more entertaining than most other cop procedurals where they don't do it or do it particularly as well as Forever is doing, especially considering on top of that most of their cases have been pretty entertaining on their own. Granted those other shows generally still have banter to fall back on (and I'll admit banter is hard to do sometimes), but I can definitely see how much more care they put into writing this show.

I do hope that case a while back where Henry got shot in the arm comes back to bite him. Cause in the few weeks since then he actually had Adam kill him, so the bullet wound is gone. Wonder if that's what gets Jo on the trail, honestly. Cause she's seen it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

wayfinder posted:

After the recent hints in that direction, they better not make him Brutus. In fact, it would be completely bad if he turned out to have been any historical figure.
Depends if they want to do that, I mean you can compare the actual bust of him. I mean, it might not be a completely terrible idea if they can pull it off. Colour me excited for bringing him out on rare occasion though, I mean, they don't have to spell it out but I didn't realize that's what they're probably going for until you pointed it out.

I'm guessing there's a wealth of "historical figure immortal and lives into present day" has flopped more than it has done well though. I dunno, we'll see.

Despite the sticky for tonight I don't believe it's actually airing an episode tonight.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

No, I don't think so. I believe she did run off but around '91 or so was what I think I heard, but they don't know what happened to her as far as I remember.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It already aired in Canada :dance:

Kinda glad they're just gonna go for broke with the cases being tied to Henry lately. I might be wrong but I feel like most of them have been, or they've gotten good at tying them back. Show's on the bubble though, I think, even with a full season order.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The only real way to even get a glimpse of Jo knowing Henry is immortal (or something is up) is if she sees him shirtless. Because the bullet wound he took earlier in the season is straight up gone after Adam had to kill him. And even then, he could just explain it away.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

I'd love to see another season but if everything gets resolved in the finale it's kinda hard to see where it might go next. I think I'm OK with a single season that comes to a satisfying conclusion vs the dangling hope of a renewal leaving plot threads trailing.
I'm kinda glad they're sorta just going for broke in case they get canceled. Though I hope they get renewed but also have enough for another season. Cause the second half especially (I feel like I'm repeating myself) is really strong because of it.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So Adam is Caesar then, roman dagger?
Eh, I'm kinda wary it's any historical figure because someone would've noticed he up and disappeared while about 2 dozen or so people were watching? Someone else also suggested he might be Brutus but a quick wikipedia check says he committed suicide, so that probably doesn't fit either (or with them burying him), but I'd be surprised to see what they do either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I can only assume Henry made his way back to England by dying and resurrecting his way back across the Atlantic. Yikes.

• Locked thread