Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I was really close to giving up on this show, to be honest. I love the premise (frankly, liked the idea more when it was New Amsterdam), but don't understand why we've only gotten normal procedural poo poo since the pilot. He isn't just Sherlock Holmes, but you wouldn't get that from most of what's aired.

It seems like they actually do have an A-plot, finally, though. A chess game between immortals seems great...certainly better than a dozen added episodes where Henry mansplains how Martinez should do her job.

Someone (erroneously) described this show as, "if Gregory House was an immortal who solved crimes instead of medical mysteries." I so wish it was that, though. Because right now, Henry is a condescending rear end, but nobody really challenges him on it, and it's all so civil. We have plenty of Holmes-ian geniuses on TV, but what made House great was how obviously a dick he was, and how confrontationally his staff dealt with that.

If, for instance, his ME assistant wasn't just a chinless nebbish, but a Foreman type who actually calls him out on his poo poo. Or at least refuses to take abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

What's the range on his respawn deal? The coastline is right there in New York, but what if he was in the Sahara or something? Just, nearest neighbor? The Mediterranean?

What if he became an astronaut? Went to Mars or something and died. Would he bounce back 140 million miles? And more to the point, would he wake up instantaneously, or would it take ~15 minutes for the signal to get back to earth?

I DEMAND ANSWERS, WRITERS OF FOREVER!!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Tiggum posted:

I know. That doesn't explain anything.

Right? The tattoo's the least of it.

Haven't we seen where Henry raised Abe? Various fairly nice areas in Manhattan, it looked like.

Which makes sense. He's a German-born Jew who was adopted during infancy by a wealthy English couple. At no point in his life would it make sense to live in Jewish Brooklyn because he has no family there; if anything, he'd sound affectedly English, or just like a generic NE upper class white person.

I call bullshit, Forever. I call bullshit.

Edit: In defense of his name, though, what I understood from the last episode was that all he figured out was his parent's names. They didn't name him Abraham...they perhaps didn't name him at all, or that name wasn't on record. He just appended their surname to his given name, Abraham. I guess he figured it out because they were the only ones to have a baby at that particular camp, so it must have been him?

Xealot fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 10, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

wayfinder posted:

After the recent hints in that direction, they better not make him Brutus. In fact, it would be completely bad if he turned out to have been any historical figure.

Goddamn. Now I'm concerned this will happen and hate you slightly for suggesting it. That would suck terribly. Like Dracula 2000 all over again.

Adam is interesting, though, because he's basically Hannibal Lecter crossed with the Highlander. He's mostly a sociopath, but not all the time because certain human dilemmas affect him (such as Abe's search for his family.) I'm guessing he has some bizarre honor code behind his actions, and is used more as an anti-hero at some point.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Sober posted:

The only real way to even get a glimpse of Jo knowing Henry is immortal (or something is up) is if she sees him shirtless. Because the bullet wound he took earlier in the season is straight up gone after Adam had to kill him. And even then, he could just explain it away.

I'm 99% sure the way Jo will find out is that some confluence of events will see Henry in the line of fire to protect her, and he'll get shot or stabbed again.

They'll have a tearful final conversation before he dies, but then his body disappears and she finds him back at Abe's place intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Shows don't get a chance to properly find their feet anymore.

Yeah, I hate that reality. The amount of immediate success a property needs to have just to survive is simply not realistic most of the time.

The MO for network TV seems to have increasingly been to get gun shy and cancel things that aren't runaway hits right out of the gate. Totally reasonable numbers aren't enough; it needs to be Empire or Glee levels of huge immediately...after which they run their successes into the ground and hope their new crop of pilots produces a new wunderkind.

Movies are even worse. Like, a film can earn $500 Million and still be regarded as a failure. If it doesn't earn back more than its entire production budget in the first weekend, it's a failure. If it doesn't end it's run with several times the budget, it's a failure. It's untenable, and why studios increasingly invest in a small handful of extremely gigantic films in hope of Avengers lightning striking.

Daler Mehndi posted:

I only now just watched the finale. Goddamn, that was pretty stone cold. What a grim fate for Adam, even if it was deserved.

Though, he probably doesn't have a high life expectancy in that state. And man, when he finally resurrects, he'll be pissed.

• Locked thread