Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I just got done watching the pilot, and I know this show is going to get a lot of comparisons to New Amsterdam, in the same way that show was compared to things like Highlander, Forever Knight, etc. But I think right off the bat it sort of is a different enough show than the others, though.

A lot of the ending narration and the Sherlock-levels of deduction got really annoying to a point, but right off the bat I think it did something that I think New Amsterdam needed to do and never did: It gave the main character a Moriarty/Joker/Mr. Glass figure to challenge him.

I don't know why, but I felt that way about New Amsterdam. It needed someone who was similarly immortal to provide a skewed counterpoint to the lead's condition. It throws a new wrench into the character's existence that can pop up now and then to maybe help move a long-running story arc along between stand-alones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I get the feeling that the show might not last unless you can get people on board for it. It doesn't seem like a lot of the "crime show plus sci-fi/fantasy element" shows fair very well on network TV, but I might be wrong. Of course, I'm thinking and stretching definition way out to include stuff like Brimstone, I think a couple of different vampire and werewolf cop shows, New Amsterdam, John Doe, Almost Human, a few different procedurals with a SciFi setting, etc.

I'm sort of curious how Gotham and Flash series on network TV will eventually fair.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 24, 2014

• Locked thread