Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slanderer posted:

one of kowloon walled city's biggest industries was illegal dentistry. i have no idea why.

it was basically a libertarian dream come true since you had everything from noodle shops to doctors operating without any government oversight.

a guy made a map of the place:

https://imgur.com/9lHD8YX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THS posted:

drat that owns

This is one of the better documentaries on the city:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lby9P3ms11w

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Neukoln19 posted:

I'd like to learn more about its eviction. I bet people were pissed!

Basically it existed since it was in a legal no mans land, neither Hong Kong nor China wanted to claim jurisdiction over the city.

Eventually in 1984 is was decided that Hong Kong would have responsibility for the city, residents did get offered a multi-billion dollar buyout plan but people who tried to hold out were forcibly evicted by HK.

Eventually the megablock was razed and it's now a city park named Kowloon Walled City park.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nutsngum posted:

Kowloon is a pretty amazing thing that im almost sad is gone.

I watched the documntary about it a while back and the big thing that struck me was the amount of respitory deaths they commented on. So much mold and moisture everywhere meant you basically just died at 50 from something

Plus it have every sort of pest problem from rats to roaches.

It's probably another reason why HK bulldozed the place since less scrupulous HK restaurants loved buying cheaper noodles and other unregulated goods from the city.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

I don't know if this makes much sense, but one of the oddest things about this for me is how it kind of disintegrates the difference between "inside" and "outside". Was this a building, an entity, or a spontaneous combination of buildings/entities?

Was there a "Government" of some sort inside Kowloon?

It was basically anarchy since neither Hong Kong or China even ran basic government services such as police for the city.

The only sort of "government" was the local triads and also a collection of various community organizations that provided services such as education/mail delivery.

The megablock evolved naturally over time as people more and more levels, with the more well to do people occupying the upper levels.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

kowloon was a libertarians paradise complete with a shitload of drugs, organized crime, hookers, and barter economy

also plenty of mold, mice, roaches and also people working with missing fingers thanks to zero workplace safety regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On another note here's a gallery by photographer Greg Girard:

http://www.greggirard.com/work/kowloon-walled-city--13

• Locked thread