Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm at level 1800ish now, max distance currently showing 18.1 and my pow is at 3000ish and spd at 4000ish. Although I haven't really tried to make a useful build lately, I've just been leaving my deathmarch/golddigger combo on and respawning myself at the start every time I die and gathering enough gold to buy out all the weapons and armor in the latest shops. Then I just switch to the exp farmer/deathmarch build and autorun through the training tunnels until I get leveled up enough to move over another few screens. One the one hand, I keep advancing. On the other hand, I'm not exactly playing the game any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

Boy this game is a fun time waster. How important is proper stat allocation or is just a general ratio good enough? Like should I be putting value points into Vit or Luck or just dump it all in Pow and Spd?

Vit is kind of worthless after a while, because the enemy damage output increases faster than you can realistically keep up with it. Spd is really the better defensive stat since avoiding all the damage is the only viable way to deal with it. Luck you should pump up to some big number, until you find all the rare pets you want, and then probably focus all on pow and spd.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shwqa posted:

:hellyeah: I took down dumbo. I'm now more than half way through the bosses. I think I might need to put more points into vit because just random mobs hitting me is what stops me. There is just so many of them that will roll a d20 soon or later.

Depends how much you have. It might be worth putting a couple hundred in there so you can survive a random hit, although it might be more effective in that case to use a pet that gives you scapegoat, which kills the pet when you would die, or guts, which makes a deadly hit take you down to 1 hp instead (although presumably with some kind of internal cooldown so it doesn't just make you immortal, but the mechanics are never well explained). That would give you an extra hit too. Pumping vit still isn't going to do much past a certain point, because they're always going to be able to one shot you anyway. I got my HP up to 1800 before I realized how useless it was, and that seems to allow me to take one random hit, and that's it. Anything more and I'm toast. The latest awesome combo I've been using is scissors / invcloak / berserker which gives you armtwister (power increases dodge), no guard (lowers defense, increases damage), and spdup30. It hits like a truck full of trucks, dodges almost everything, but of course one hit and you're dead.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I recently got the afro armor, allowing the afro / bouquet / zomble combo for deathmarch, exp farmer, expup20 and I'm wondering if anyone has found anything similar for gold, or if the thief / bouquet / zomble set for deathmarch and golddigger is the pinnacle of afk gold farming. Some of these later shops are ridiculously pricy when you still only make 10 to 20 gold per kill.

Edit: I guess bouquet / thief / mimic and resting a metal object on the screen is the best way to do it. That gives golddigger, goldup 30 and treaup 30 for an extra bonus. Just hard to find an object around my work desk that has a metal bit and balances on my phone very well. :v:

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 17, 2014

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Virtue posted:

What do the EXP10 and SPDUP30 buffs actually do? Is it a flat bonus to each stat or something more complicated?

I'm pretty sure all the numeric buffs are percentages. So spdup30 for example gives you the equivalent of 1.3x your speed.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Bide is nice but its one-less-hit effect doesn't really help with bosses. I mean even if it does have some effect, one less hit out of 30 or 40 hits isn't much to write home about. I guess if you wanted to, you could use the vampcape up to the last house/toilet and then swap to the invcloak right before the boss so you trade bide for armtwister for the extra dodge chance.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

By semi afk running alternating xp and gold farming, I have apparently managed to buy all the armor and weapons now. Although I could keep getting upgraded versions as nothing is maxed out yet. I decided it was time to start pet farming so I got out a discovery set and put my trusty metal object on the screen, and a few minutes later glanced over to see that I'd just nabbed an oreslime. Apparently that's ridiculously rare, at least if the moaning on the reddit page is right. So, hooray.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kin posted:

Do higher * versions of items lead to better bonuses or is it basically just higher def/atk values?

As far as I can tell it's just def/atk. So pretty much just upgrading weapons is worth it, since I don't think def has any impact on dodge. (Not sure on that though) But upgrading atk is still useful since the attack value is multiplied in the equation that gives your final damage, so even increasing atk by one point results in a noticeable increase in damage output.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shwqa posted:

Price evens out at 20k for the most expensive stuff while gold has no cap. Gold formula is somehow tied to your luck and the enemy's level. I get a few thousand gold on my normal runs now.

My gold build is bouquet / thief / mimic with a spoon or quarter on the screen.

If you have it, golddice / diviner / genie gives golddigger, chance, goldup40. An extra 10% over bouquet / thief / mimic, but you don't get the treaup30. I'm not sure what impact that would have overall, since some chests can be full of gold too, although usually I only see a couple hundred gold in them. But then randomly I'll see one with 20,000 gold in it. So yeah, figuring out how any mechanics work in this game is hard.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Do TreaUp skills help with spawning an oreslime or mimic?

I can definitively state ... dunno? I know that the discovery skill does, which I believe is monk / lexicon. I think that if a mimic or oreslime spawns, it's guaranteed to drop a chest when it dies, but that chest isn't guaranteed to actually drop the pet. You could just get coins out of it. I killed like 5 or 10 mimics before I finally got one from the chest.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Opal posted:

Should I really give up on Vit/Luck/Int completely?

Yes/sort of/probably. Vit sucks, don't pump it at all unless you want to waste your points. Bosses will still one shot you after a certain point, and regular enemies will never touch you anyway. My furthest distance is 32.9 and my vit is at 400 and that's only because of an OCD desire to make it a nice round number after I found out that it was worthless. If I take a hit I die regardless. Luck is worth putting something in, because you'll want to get some drops and it also has some bearing on crit damage. I got mine up to 1000, then later decided to push it up to 1500. Haven't really noticed a difference either way though. Int is worthless unless you're going for an int specific build, which probably means using the fire rod and nothing else all game. Not much fun. I leveled up with 1 pow 2 spd 2 luck for a while until luck was high enough for my taste, then went to 2 pow 3 spd. My pow is now around 8600 and my spd is around 12000, and the boss at 32.9 still downs me on the first hit, even with two spdup30s and armtwister on. He's a beast.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The boss, King, at 32.9 is a ridiculous brick wall. Currently I'm at level 4800ish with power just above 9000 (if you feel the need to make a stupid meme related joke here, please don't breed), speed at 12.5k, using a scissors 9 / invcloak / oreslime setup which gives spdup30 x2 and armtwister. And he's level 999 (whatever that means for monsters) with 40000 pow, 45000 speed and 2 million something HP. I can barely nick his HP bar before he one shots me. Going to be afk running the training tunnels for a long long time.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

nexus6 posted:

drat. If the games has to be active anyway, I might as well be holding it. Don't really see the advantage of deathmarch

Leaving your phone doing stuff while you do other stuff. i.e. watch videos, browse websites, play games. On a device that's not your phone, that is. Your tablet, your PC, your laptop, your WebTV (tm). Whatever.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

nexus6 posted:

Wouldn't that still require the screen to be on though? It kills my battery as it is (can't stop playing)

It would, yeah. I leave mine plugged in to a usb port while I'm at my PC doing other things.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

I don't understand this game. I beat the first boss but now it seems like I just cannot make any progress. Normal monsters two hit me...

Try different weapon armor and pet combinations, most of your killing and survival ability comes from the various buffs that different combos give you. Focus on leveling speed more, ideally monsters shouldn't be hitting you at all. Outside of that, just grind away.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Stealing more good combos from reddit, try mimic, pirate, longswd. This gives treaup30 x2 and a treaup20. And the result is more chests than the numbers would suggest. I'd say I'm averaging one every 3 or 4 screens, and sometimes streaks of several in a row. I almost feel like this obsoletes grinding for gold, because it's quicker to just get all the loot handed to you directly instead of saving up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Longsword/Pirate/Lamia got me 2 chests by the time I was around 15km, which seemed pretty good, but as soon as I switched to a power combo to finish out the space to a 20km store, and on to the 25.3k boss, I got two more. To be fair those second two were just pets I hadn't gotten yet.

600 VIT lasted me into the 20s. I'm at 25.3km now and bumped my VIT up to 800, probably going to take it all the way to 1k soon.

Counterpoint, I'm at 32.9 with 400 vit. And I really don't need even that much, if you could respec I'd take it down to 1. Speed is just such a better stat all around, and 10,000 vit still isn't going to let you tank a hit from king or dossboss.

• Locked thread