Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
:siren: To join GRC send a friend request to GutBomb303, MacClay, Captain Howdy 0, or Whatcubed3. Once you are friends with one of them you can join :siren:

That's right, folks, Forza Horizon is back and this time it's for money.

What is it?
An "open world" driving game based on the Forza Motorsports game engine that takes place in a music/car festival in southern France/Northern Italy. Open world is being generous though because I think in the first Horizon game you could drive from one side of the game landscape to the other in about 5 minutes.

Why should I care?
Because I'm a sucker and I'm going to buy it and I want people to gently caress around online with

So what was Forza Horizon 1 like?
If I have to sum it up with one word I'd say "brief." You could blast through the single-player portion in a couple of weeks and multiplayer was lacking in modes.

What's new in Horizon 2?
They've added weather to the mix now which in the videos looks pretty awesome. They also claim the environment is larger than the first game. They've also added the ability to drive off-road, through fields and stuff. They have also added the full tuning options of Forza Motorsport 5 unlike in Horizon 1 where you could add parts but not tune them.

What systems is it for?
XBox One and there is also a scaled down version for the XBox 360.

Scaled down?
There won't be weather on the 360. The environment might also be scaled down. The AI on the 360 version is the standard AI where the AI in the XBox One version is drivatar based. The XBox One version is being developed by Playground Games, the guys that made Horizon 1. The 360 version is being developed by Sumo Digital. The XBox 360 version plays at 720p while the XBox One version is 1080p. The XBox 360 version allows 8 people to play together online, while the XBox One version allows 11.

What the gently caress is a drivatar?
Introduced in Forza Motorsport 5, Drivatar technology analyzes the way you drive in Forza in single-player and multi-player races. This data gets massaged into an AI driver that any of your friends playing single-player will get to race against. In theory it sounds pretty awesome but in practice the drivatars all drive like online pubbies.

So what can I drive?

These are the cars that are available at launch, and there should be more available in DLC packs over the coming months. (click the image for a list)

Where can I drive?
Here is a look at the whole game environment

It looks a little sparse if you ask me.

When can I get it?
It's released on September 30th for both systems and a demo is available for the XBox One on September 16th :siren:That's today:siren:

Game Editions
There are 4 Editions of the game.

Regular Edition:
Nothing special. Base game

Day One Edition:
This edition includes the full game of Forza Horizon 2, along with the Day One Car Pack. The Day One car Pack features three amazing cars: the 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T, 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, and the 2013 Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG.

Day One Deluxe Edition:
This edition includes the full version of Forza Horizon 2, the Day One Car Pack, and VIP membership. The Day One car Pack features three cars: the 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T, 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, and the 2013 Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG. VIP membership gets you access to exclusive benefits in Forza Horizon 2, including the five-car VIP Car pack (2012 Lamborghini Urus, 2014 Tesla Model S, 1967 Ferrari 330 P4, 1949 Mercury Coupe, and the 2013 Donkervoort D8 GTO), 2x player reward acceleration, access to exclusive multiplayer events, in-game gifts from the Forza community team, and special in-game recognition.

Day One Ultimate Edition:
This edition includes the full version of Forza Horizon 2, the Day One Car Pack, VIP membership, and the Forza Horizon 2 Car Pass. The Day One car Pack features three cars: the 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T, 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, and the 2013 Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG. VIP membership gets you access to exclusive benefits in Forza Horizon 2, including the five-car VIP Car pack(2012 Lamborghini Urus, 2014 Tesla Model S, 1967 Ferrari 330 P4, 1949 Mercury Coupe, and the 2013 Donkervoort D8 GTO), 2x player reward acceleration, access to exclusive multiplayer events, in-game gifts from the Forza community team, and special in-game recognition. The Forza Horizon 2 Car Pass gets you access to six monthly pack add-ons (5 cars each). Plus, Car Pass owners will receive an exclusive bonus car for free, the 2010 Noble M600. That’s 31 cars to collect, race, and customize in Forza Horizon 2!

Preorder bonuses - XBox One
Microsoft Store : $10 xbox gift card and an Audi RS 4 Avant.
Amazon : 2008 Ferrari California
Gamestop : 2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
Best Buy : 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Preorder bonuses - XBox 360
Yeah, right...

Can I see some videos?
poo poo yeah, here are some videos.

Official trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l_lclrnWTI

Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAfywmkjnIQ

More gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqb1bWJsyNk

Even more gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dmGcZtWZY

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
poo poo, I nearly forgot about this game haha. What are the different pre-order options? I want to know where to buy to get the best bonus car.

Also, since they are using real life city names, I did some work on Google Maps. Sisteron to Nice is 179km and Castelletto (which is difficult to determine EXACTLY where in Italy it is to me, but it appears to be near Genoa) is roughly 195km to Nice.

It will be interesting to see how big it is, and how it's scaled. Because the airstrip at the top of the map is as long as the city of Nice! So it's either scaled weird, or that is, in fact, the longest airstrip...IN THE WORLD.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Anyone played the demo yet? Mine is about halfway downloaded. Pretty excited to give it a go soon.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

What are the different pre-order options? I want to know where to buy to get the best bonus car.

I updated the OP with all of the preorder bonuses I could find.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
drat, there's a Deluxe edition? I couldn't find any info about that prior to reading this thread. And now that I know it exists, I can't find it for sale anywhere. I need my VIP crown yo!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

WienerDog posted:

drat, there's a Deluxe edition? I couldn't find any info about that prior to reading this thread. And now that I know it exists, I can't find it for sale anywhere. I need my VIP crown yo!

I think you can only get it from Microsoft.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WienerDog posted:

gently caress yeah! I gotta have my burger king hat.
Let me know if you find it. I'll cancel my Day One pre-order and order the Royale with cheeze instead.

Holy poo poo this game is beautiful. If you didn't tell me it was 30fps I would not have guessed. This poo poo is quite honestly exhilarating. I just wish my home theater was working so I could heat it properly (already turned the music off).

loving awesome.

Maybe it's just the honeymoon period, maybe I'll come back down; but right now I'm elated with it.

Minor gripe: Gear up/gear down is opposite of motorsport. I'll look at the options again later, but I didn't see the same layout I use in FM5.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 16, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Let me know if you find it. I'll cancel my Day One pre-order and order the Royale with cheeze instead.

You can preorder the deluxe version directly from the demo

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
no demo for 360? gently caress the xbone

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

There's a new news post up on FM.net that mentions VIP is 50% off for FM5 vip's!

It says: "Current Forza Motorsport 5 VIPs receive a $10 discount on digital purchases of Forza Horizon 2 VIP membership or any Forza Horizon 2 digital offer that includes VIP membership. (Note that this discount only applies to digital offers of Forza Horizon 2.)"

So I think that means we can grab our Day One edition pre-orders and add on VIP from the marketplace @ 50% off.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Gonna do this.

Goddamn. Never thought I would give a poo poo for weather effects, but I just did the 1st circuit race in the rain, with the fogginess and the event lighting and checked out cockpit mode. I've never seen anything like it. I need the full game, like now.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 16, 2014

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
They had me when the headlights turned on in the launch race........the race in the rain was incredible.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Gonna do this.

Goddamn. Never thought I would give a poo poo for weather effects, but I just did the 1st circuit race in the rain, with the fogginess and the event lighting and checked out cockpit mode. I've never seen anything like it. I need the full game, like now.

I need to drive a rear wheel drive car in the rain to truly judge it. With all the assists off the rain didn't seem to affect the grip level much if at all. Certainly is visually impressive though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

I need to drive a rear wheel drive car in the rain to truly judge it. With all the assists off the rain didn't seem to affect the grip level much if at all. Certainly is visually impressive though.

Agreed. The grip didn't seem to be affected much. Maybe it was the Evo, or the demo. We'll see. I definitely noticed the same thing you noticed.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Well, at least I won't feel bad about missing exclusive pre-order crap (that I'm sure they will port and try and sell me later) since I'm still going to be rocking the 360 version. Anyone else still around and planning on grabbing for ye olden xbox?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Pre ordered the stupid expensive version digitally on the Bone. This will be my favorite game of the year probably besides MCC. I also play way too much Forza 5, and I need more goons on my leaderboards for both GT: Unseen Grub. I'll probably grab the 360 version as well in the future when it goes on sale.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Gonna do the same.

Remember I complained about the shift up/down buttons being reversed? I have no loving clue what happened, but after I switched controllers it works the way it does in FM5. Don't know if it was user error or something else.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Demo seems pretty neat but I have to go back and drive the other two cars, as I only spent a little time in the Bowler, which is cool.

Initial thoughts:
- In cockpit view, it's really fun to drive through the plants and trees.
- I had a lot better traction in the wet than I thought I would. It'll be fun to see how a RWD car handles.
- I finished last place in the 1st race and my car felt like it kept bogging down. When I set my assists, I went the wrong way on the brakes and accidentally set them to "assisted" instead of "abs off" so that was user error but man, that SUCKED haha.
- Visually the game is pretty impressive. However, I do have a slight concern that the map is a little small based only on driving around the demo map.

Also it will be interesting to see to what degree tuning will play a role. I know they made it so that you can tune just like in regular Forza, but dialing in a track setup is a lot different than making something that drives on roads and offroad. I guess we'll see. One of the things I enjoyed about the first Horizon was that I could just throw parts on a car and drive it without too much thought. Hopefully I don't miss that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also it will be interesting to see to what degree tuning will play a role. I know they made it so that you can tune just like in regular Forza, but dialing in a track setup is a lot different than making something that drives on roads and offroad. I guess we'll see. One of the things I enjoyed about the first Horizon was that I could just throw parts on a car and drive it without too much thought. Hopefully I don't miss that.

I think you can still do that. Just add the parts and skip tuning them because I think that horizon 1 just kept the parts at their default tuning values.

Tuning gearing will be more difficult without telemetry to determine max torque rpm and redline.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Can someone post the link to the Xbox.com 'Buy this silly thing' digital deluxe pack, preferably with the FM5 VIP discount? I am either idiotic or being hampered by being in Europe and cannot find it on the store.

It could also be that microsoft's websites are f'n horrible.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
GutBomb!

When the main guy said that 'The guy in the Focus is coming after you', did that feel right? Like you deserved it?

Also, were you mad when you saw that you get a bonus for clean driving?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Atmus posted:

GutBomb!

When the main guy said that 'The guy in the Focus is coming after you', did that feel right? Like you deserved it?

Your drivatar was driving the opposite direction that I was and crossed into my lane for no reason other than to hit me head on.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
OUCH

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

GutBomb posted:

Your drivatar was driving the opposite direction that I was and crossed into my lane for no reason other than to hit me head on.

It Knows.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Can someone post the link to the Xbox.com 'Buy this silly thing' digital deluxe pack, preferably with the FM5 VIP discount? I am either idiotic or being hampered by being in Europe and cannot find it on the store.

It could also be that microsoft's websites are f'n horrible.

Does This work?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Oh man I really like Horizon 1 and was planning on getting it for the 360, but I'm going to wait and see if that version turns out to be a complete poo poo show.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Do we know if there are going to be any good mountain passes? The lack of Fujimi in Forza 5 has me really itching for a good mountain pass area to drift and play around on.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

Do we know if there are going to be any good mountain passes? The lack of Fujimi in Forza 5 has me really itching for a good mountain pass area to drift and play around on.
That race against the jet formation was mountain-y. Not Fujimi-level snakey but still very pretty with lots of tunnels and sharp-ish turns that are hard to see coming.

I'm so with you on Fujimi withdrawal.

I can't wait to get this game next week.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

It does. Thanks much!

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Hrrm... all my friend's Drivatars are driving in against traffic in the wrong lane -- intent on getting me head-on.

So... spot on.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I wish the demo included cars other than the seemingly easy to drive AWD cars. I know that Horizon is supposed to have more relaxed driving physics than FM itself, but the driving in the Horizon 2 demo feels very arcade-ish.

The first Horizon felt closer to the FM physics. It was a good blend of sim and arcade. Sim enough to make the driving feel believable, but arcade enough that you can shut the brain off and enjoy driving freely around the map. Horizon 1 was a really fun game to play. Usually, I quit playing a game once I beat it. But even after beating the game, I still fire up Horizon, hop in my old school M3 and just blast around the map.

In contrast, the Horizon 2 demo feels like a straight arcade racer in comparison. During wet races, your car still has an insane amount of grip, hydroplaning is barely a thing. It also feels like braking is optional in the game. You can let off the gas in any car and it practically slows itself (I wasn't using the assisted braking). And if you do decide to use the brakes, you can brake impossibly late, let the car drift and magically, the car will clear the corner (I had the traction/stability aids off). I'm not asking for this game to be a street racing version of iRacing, just for it to have the same balance between sim and arcade like the first Horizon. As it stands, the driving is not that fun in the demo.

I wish Turn 10 would release a second demo with RWD cars so we can really see what the driving is like. Guess I'll have to wait for trip reports.

P.S. Turn 10, please let us skip intro videos and cut scenes! I hate waiting for 5 minutes worth of opening cut scenes to finish before I can play.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ugh. Cut scenes to start a game are the worst. The only exception is the inane and surreal eurotrash ketamine party at the beginning of TDU 2. A game that would have been amazing if only they'd remembered to test the savegames so they didn't all get corrupted 40 hours in.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yes, they are definitely super annoying. Just like the last one, it starts you out in a "race" to the event, and I don't think you can access any assists or options until after the whole introduction "Hey, this is where you buy new whips! This is where you rev em up! This is where you add your style! Hey there are radio stations! Here are the races, go win some!" So the intro to the game is obnoxious for a host of reasons: non-skippable, annoying voice-acting, racing line/assists on, etc.

The good thing is that it's only the first ten minutes of the total game, then you are free to set things up the way you like. I really enjoyed being able to copy vinyls directly over from Motorsport, I hope that's still in.

Like Dolemite, I pretty much was done when I beat the top guy even though I hadn't maxed my level out or anything. Unlike Dolemite, since I couldn't get into the multiplayer I never felt compelled enough to launch it again after that. I even skipped the rally expansion because it apparently didn't add to the full game, it was separate.

I think we all agree the physics in the wet race was a not really noticeable, but it was at least truly gorgeous. At 1080/30 I found it incredibly compelling, visually. Seeing so many drivatars I knew driving around still adds that cool feeling I enjoyed in FM5. It made me more invested in winning when it's *kinda* like racing with my friends (even though it's really not).

To be 100% honest, the thing that's been keeping me from launching the demo after the first three times was the intro. The full game is less than a week away, so I guess I'll just wait. Probably.

As far as userbase feedback is concerned, I feel like Turn10 tried to add/adjust features of the game based on user input, e.g. the economy/rewards, free cars from every car pack (saved me a LOT of in-game $). Stuff like that, so maybe we'll see them addressing stuff like grip in the rain? I dunno, but I have hope.

The free car pack is nice. Free GNX, like that. Thanks to whoever posted that over in the other thread.

Hey, here's the link for anyone who hadn't seen it already:
https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Games/Launch-Bonus-Car-Pack/2ac948b6-8714-4fa9-8309-a0b46c348bcd

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 25, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

First reviews are out. Eurogamer gave it a 9 - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-25-forza-horizon-2-review

quote:

It's going to be a busy season for racing games, with sim hopeful Project Cars, ambitious online "CarPG" The Crew and the social score-attack of DriveClub all jostling for attention. Horizon 2 sets an intimidatingly high bar for those games to meet on every front, but in one aspect it seems unbeatable. I can't imagine any of them are going to feel this happy.

Has an 85 right now on Metacritic. Really looking forward to Tuesday.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 25, 2014

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think we all agree the physics in the wet race was a not really noticeable, but it was at least truly gorgeous. At 1080/30 I found it incredibly compelling, visually. Seeing so many drivatars I knew driving around still adds that cool feeling I enjoyed in FM5. It made me more invested in winning when it's *kinda* like racing with my friends (even though it's really not).

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - the graphics are amazing. This is one of those games where "photo realistic graphics" is actually true. Physics complaints aside, there's something magical about hauling rear end down coastal roads during a sunset to be greeted by a sleepy, seaside Mediterranean town bathed in golden light. This is one of the few games where I actually stopped to admire the scenery.

Which is why I think I'll wait to get the game until the reviews come in from actual gamers and not games sites paid to give good scores to games. I really, really wanted to like the demo. I was hoping Horizon 2 would be Horizon 1 with way better graphics, a bigger world and overall just improved game play.

gently caress, who am I kidding. I'll probably pick this up on launch day anyways.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Are we making a list of people playing the game by console or is this thread just going to be representative of that. I know the Forza 5 thread is still pretty active but I wasnt sure if people were going to be migrating over since FH2 is a much different game.

The online aspects of FH2 sound fantastic and it would be cool to play with some goons.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'll be pretty surprised if the majority of FM players don't also pick this one up, unless it turns out to have some sort of hideous flaws that haven't been revealed yet. Most of the players over there seem to enjoy DRIVING, as well as RACING, so hopefully there's lots more stuff to do that just celebrates the fun of cruising the open world than FH1 had.

Although I do count some of those FH1 "Get 8 people through a section at 220mph within 2 seconds" type achievements among the most fun ones I've gotten.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just realized I have next Tuesday off from work.

:getin:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I loved Horizon to the point where I'm seriously considering an Xbone just to play this.

Havent heard or seen a single peep out of the 360 version yet and thats not... comforting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Since Car Clubs are back in with FH2, what do you all want to do about creating a goon club?

• Locked thread