Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Beardless is moving to the SouthWest and It's always the right time to do the wrong thing. So he was nice enough to send me some goodies just after my birthday Thanks, generous little flatlander buddy.

A nice selection of 22 caliber pellets for all my pewpew needs.

And a Crosman Optimus to shoot them! One which will get a golden trigger and has a far smoother firing cycle than it has any right to. There was also a 4xwhatever Centerpoint scope that will propably wind up on something else after this gets nicer glass.

And knives The OTF is hilarious gimmick and HOLYFUCKINGSHIT A PONY SHOE KNIFE!!!!!
My mother-in-law is visiting and raised an eyebrow when I started grinning like a fool and babbling about ponyshoes once I unwrapped the cute little bugger

A tin of Ankh-Morpork's "finest"

Some Pratchett is always welcome 'round these parts. It looks like a fun read, unsurprisingly

Beardless may be my long-lost twin. Slings are a drat good time and this is decidedly the best part of the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

I'm glad you liked it, and glad that it had such good timing! The pipe tobacco came from Federal Cigar in Portsmouth, I don't remember what kind of blend it is. Also your link is borked.

Edit: Haven't you read Wee Free Men before? You're in for a treat. And you'll appreciate the tin even more.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 16, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Right Time

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Ponyshoe! You son of a bitch!

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

OH MY GOD Jolly Sailor I'm so fuckin jealous right now.

also, "pictsies" may well be one of the best puns ever.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Bummey posted:

Ponyshoe! You son of a bitch!

Did anyone else end up getting a Ponyshoe when that guy's website was posted in the knife thread, or was I the only one?

Also, this was the result of some trading between Butch and I. One of the things I got was a Duluth Scout pack, seen here in its natural habitat:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm glad to see it getting use. And nice whistle/cider selection.

E: I am pretty sure Parts Kit got a ponyshoe.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Beardless posted:

Did anyone else end up getting a Ponyshoe when that guy's website was posted in the knife thread, or was I the only one?

I wanted one so badly! I don't know why I didn't buy one!

That is some good cider.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Chronied ten 14.3 grain Crosman Premier Hollowpoint pellets through the Optimus:

802, 750, 734, 736, 740, 734, 733, 733, 728, 737

Just looking at that string (and ignoring the new condition/intact box/complete paperwork/cleanliness of innards/unmounted scope) tells me that Beardless never broke this rifle in. Let's dork out:

Average muzzle velocity: 742.2 feet/second

Which doesn't say anything meaningful with a 74 feet/second maximum spread.

But the standard deviation works out to 20.52 feet/second when rounded to the nearest hundredth. And 9/10 shots were within one standard deviation to leave 802 fps as a decided outlier.

And getting back to the average velocity, it gives a crude F.P.E. of 17.4 after rounding down to the nearest tenth. Plenty enough to sack, say, a rabbit or convince a raccoon to stop pestering your chickens within a reasonable backyard range.

After a couple tins of pellets, I plan to re-chrono ten of these same pellets and expect the average velocity to drop 10-20 feet/second and the extreme spread to narrow. I don't think the standard deviation will be much affected, however. And the FPE will only lower to a degree appreciable on paper with no real life change. Be interesting to see at any rate.

Also interesting will be finding a preferred pellet once it is broken in and gets a nice bit of glass and golden trigger. My money is on tighter groups than its decidedly budget price implies.

Oh, and the firing cycle has gotten a little bit of springer buzz within the hundred pellets I have put through it but is still thumpy rather than Gamo-twangy. Finding out how hold-sensitive it is will also be fun.

Thank again, Beardless. This is a very neat rifle and I am having a great time with it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

Chronied ten 14.3 grain Crosman Premier Hollowpoint pellets through the Optimus:

Just looking at that string (and ignoring the new condition/intact box/complete paperwork/cleanliness of innards/unmounted scope) tells me that Beardless never broke this rifle in. Let's dork out:

But the standard deviation works out to 20.52 feet/second when rounded to the nearest hundredth. And 9/10 shots were within one standard deviation to leave 802 fps as a decided outlier.

And getting back to the average velocity, it gives a crude F.P.E. of 17.4 after rounding down to the nearest tenth. Plenty enough to sack, say, a rabbit or convince a raccoon to stop pestering your chickens within a reasonable backyard range.

After a couple tins of pellets, I plan to re-chrono ten of these same pellets and expect the average velocity to drop 10-20 feet/second and the extreme spread to narrow. I don't think the standard deviation will be much affected, however. And the FPE will only lower to a degree appreciable on paper with no real life change. Be interesting to see at any rate.

Also interesting will be finding a preferred pellet once it is broken in and gets a nice bit of glass and golden trigger. My money is on tighter groups than its decidedly budget price implies.

Oh, and the firing cycle has gotten a little bit of springer buzz within the hundred pellets I have put through it but is still thumpy rather than Gamo-twangy. Finding out how hold-sensitive it is will also be fun.

Thank again, Beardless. This is a very neat rifle and I am having a great time with it.

Yeah, I shot one pellet through it, and then decided that it was a little too loud for my decidedly suburban backyard. Plinking with a 1377 or Pioner is one thing, but I felt like that might draw complaints from the neighbors. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The first shot out of my old 0.177" Titan dieseled and went supersonic. And the first shot out of my Sumatra was :tinnitus: Actually, every shot was until my Clague LDC came in. But I think the neighborhood was just glad that it wasn't my at one time ~quarterly, half-cocked gently caress IT, I HAVE LEFTOVERS FROM MY LAST PARTY, TIME FOR TUESDAY NIGHT FIREWORKS!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

As a little comparison, I just chronied a beat up Gamo Shadow 1000 in 0.177":

Pellet - 10.5 grain Crosman Premier domed

High - 700 feet/second

Low - 669 feet/second

Average Velocity - 680 feet/second

Standard Deviation - 7.88 feet/second

Average FPE - 10.78

I had expected the Gamo to require a heavy pellet, but the numbers look like I should try a midweight like a RWS Superdome. Which I will do tomorrow, as wellnas group each while using the famed Crosman milk carton pellets as a standard.

And then put together an ad and sell the Gamo because it aas free and can help fund nice glass for my BSA Lightning gas ram.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 25, 2014

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm glad to see it getting use. And nice whistle/cider selection.

E: I am pretty sure Parts Kit got a ponyshoe.
I did indeed!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The pony shoe is impressively small and is now my official letter-opener on my desk

Anyway, decided to chrono some 8.3 grain RWS Superdome pellets through the Gamo Shadow 1000 while nerding over air rifle velocity numbers:

High - 830 feet/second

Low - 814 feet/second

Average - 820 feet/second

Standard Deviation - 4.46 feet/second

Average FPE - 12.39

This does not mean that the Midweight Superdomes will group better than the heavy Premier domed, but holy poo poo can pellet selection make an impressive difference on paper.

Can't wait to have the Crosman Optimus broken in to give some glass and do this poo poo.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Butch Cassidy posted:

And knives The OTF is hilarious gimmick and HOLYFUCKINGSHIT A PONY SHOE KNIFE!!!!!
My mother-in-law is visiting and raised an eyebrow when I started grinning like a fool and babbling about ponyshoes once I unwrapped the cute little bugger
Forgot to mention that little leather sheath is neato and I'm going to punk it for my ponyshoe and the knife I got from a friend at the last gunshow.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

Forgot to mention that little leather sheath is neato and I'm going to punk it for my ponyshoe and the knife I got from a friend at the last gunshow.

You could just order a sheath.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Or I could take advantage of the fact that I have probably 20 square feet of leather, pricking chisels, and a poo poo load of thread on hand

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

Or I could take advantage of the fact that I have probably 20 square feet of leather, pricking chisels, and a poo poo load of thread on hand

Yeah, that too.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Post many pictures and a tutorial

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Butch Cassidy posted:

Post many pictures and a tutorial
Can you feel if there's more than 2 pieces of leather there? Usually I see sheaths that have a thin strip so the knife can't poke into the thread but I can't tell from the pics alone.

If there isn't it'll literally be 'cut two pieces of leather, copy stitch pattern (adjusted for your new knife), trim up edges so they match nicely, dye if desired' and that's about it. But I can take pics.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

Can you feel if there's more than 2 pieces of leather there? Usually I see sheaths that have a thin strip so the knife can't poke into the thread but I can't tell from the pics alone.

If there isn't it'll literally be 'cut two pieces of leather, copy stitch pattern (adjusted for your new knife), trim up edges so they match nicely, dye if desired' and that's about it. But I can take pics.

There's a piece that covers the thread. On the stock sheath it's big and sticks out, it's designed to hold the sheath in your pocket when you draw the knife. There's actually three layers on the other side as well, it's not folded over.

not my picture

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I don't know where else to put this:

Griswold #8 for any nerds curious.

Also, the little pocket fixed blade is neat and makes a dandy paring knife. It got a lime slice for my tonic right quick and will probably wind up living in my small game bag.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Beardless posted:

Haven't you read Wee Free Men before? You're in for a treat. And you'll appreciate the tin even more.

I just finished The Road and started your book to rebound me from horrible literature depression.

It's already a fun read and the note is a handy bookmark.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

I just finished The Road and started your book to rebound me from horrible literature depression.

It's already a fun read and the note is a handy bookmark.

I'm glad you like it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Any plot prominently featuring an unflappable protagonist dispensing justice with a cast iron skillet while always toting a length of string is alright by me.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Would you still be interested in a box of chilis?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gently caress yes! Toss me one and I'll steal the return address to smuggle some maple syrup to you. Grade A dark amber good for you? May even be able to score some maple sugar for you.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

gently caress yes! Toss me one and I'll steal the return address to smuggle some maple syrup to you. Grade A dark amber good for you? May even be able to score some maple sugar for you.

Sounds awesome. You'll have to roast and/or dry them yourself, but that shouldn't be a big deal. A dark amber sounds fine. Same address that I sent to Crosman to?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If it will get here before Halloween, yes, same address. If not, PM me and I'll give you a new address.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I'll try and get it out tomorrow or the day after if possible.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Reaper Man is still the best Pratchett, but I finished Wee Free Men and it kicked all sorts of literary rear end. And my kids want to read the whole book now after I read the scene with Jenny Greenteeth to them

Pipe tobacco, drunken brawling, sheepdogs, cast iron skillets, freshly churned butter (probably cultured being on an olde-tyme farm ), and general hard headedness made for a light read straight up my alley.

Now back to more nihilistic literature in my backlog to remind me that life sucks and then you die. Followed by maybe some Dresden Files to chipper things back up.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

Reaper Man is still the best Pratchett, but I finished Wee Free Men and it kicked all sorts of literary rear end. And my kids want to read the whole book now after I read the scene with Jenny Greenteeth to them

Pipe tobacco, drunken brawling, sheepdogs, cast iron skillets, freshly churned butter (probably cultured being on an olde-tyme farm ), and general hard headedness made for a light read straight up my alley.

Now back to more nihilistic literature in my backlog to remind me that life sucks and then you die. Followed by maybe some Dresden Files to chipper things back up.

You know there's 3 more books in that particular subseries, right? A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, and I Shall Wear Midnight

Bummey
May 26, 2004

If you're reading on a kindle make sure to grab this custom dictionary so you can look up names, places, terminology, etc. that you might have forgotten or just want more information about.

http://thefictionary.net/terry-pratchett/

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm too much of a curmudgeon to dosh out for a kindle

I read Monk on one and it fit the spacey short-story well, but isn't really my thing. Especially when library sales and used book stores keep my shelves sagging under my addiction to musty old paper.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Also, in the later books the Lancre witches play a big part as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Butch Cassidy posted:

I don't know where else to put this:

Griswold #8 for any nerds curious.

Also, the little pocket fixed blade is neat and makes a dandy paring knife. It got a lime slice for my tonic right quick and will probably wind up living in my small game bag.

CAST IRON BROS GRISWOLD 8'S FOREVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yorkshire pud' or Dutch baby? Not that there is much difference, all popovers are delicious

E: Made a couple Budget Bytes pan pizzas with mine, today. Her sauce is fine, but I like to bump up the chile flakes and replace the sugar with a finely grated carrot sweated before the garlic goes in. Thick sliced pepperoni and thin sliced green pepper with fresh mozzarella and some Parmesan grated over once out of the oven.

And to keep this TFR, I gave my daughter a Gamo Little Cat, this morning.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 15, 2014

• Locked thread