Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Shodai posted:

Dogecoins

I get a "you paid your 50$ dollars" from paypal, but it's telling me in game im not allowed to play this game unless im a epic or legendary. Anyone?

E: Nevermind. got my key. forget me.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
When you get your key, download the client, login, and you can enter it after that.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Shodai posted:

When you get your key, download the client, login, and you can enter it after that.

Yea i got . Im in having alot of fun so far. Really wanna see how they handle stealth and rogues. If at all.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Anyone getting a goon guild together?

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
Looks like this alpha phase will be up for [at least] 10 more days.

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/4858-Summer-Alpha-Update/

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

iminers posted:

Anyone getting a goon guild together?

This is going to be sort of hard to do unless we can find a big guild to ally with or we have a lot of goons.

Since territory is owned by guilds, property costs taxes, and it's open pvp, having a small guild is basically like just having a chat box because the guild itself will be useless.

I'm not saying we need 50 people, but ideally at least 10 consistently playing to even pay our taxes.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

This is going to be sort of hard to do unless we can find a big guild to ally with or we have a lot of goons.

Since territory is owned by guilds, property costs taxes, and it's open pvp, having a small guild is basically like just having a chat box because the guild itself will be useless.

I'm not saying we need 50 people, but ideally at least 10 consistently playing to even pay our taxes.

Probably something to think about for the Winter alpha/closed beta. Hopefully the word gets out a lot more about this game.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
aside from the graphical aesthetics how is this game different than archeage? can you own ships? castles, farms?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Glad to see people are enjoying the game. Hope I haven't disappointed anyone by calling it the true successor to Ultima Online 2 but from what I've been hearing, by the time the game launches, it will have a lot of similar mechanics.

badr posted:

aside from the graphical aesthetics how is this game different than archeage? can you own ships? castles, farms?

In general, the format of the game is entirely different. ArcheAge is a themepark with some sandbox elements but Albion is full on sandbox. No "you are the chosen one" storylines, better and more meaningful character progression, focus on community interaction rather than developer made content.

The concept of a sandbox MMO is really difficult to explain to someone who hasn't played a proper sandbox MMO like Ultima Online/Star Wars Galaxies/EVE. The main difference is, the players are the content in general. That's the best way to describe it, there's plenty of videos on YouTube and people are streaming regularly. 10 minutes of a decent stream and you'll notice the difference.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. What's the official world on upgrading Founder packages? I may risk 50 bucks, but 100 is a harder pill to swallow without trying the game beforehand.

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

If I understand what I'm reading, you can send 10 coordinated newbies against a high level character, wipe him out and steal his equipment, then use it against the rest of his guild/sell it in the market. This is guerilla tactics at its finest.

What I mean is that Goons will love this amount of griefing potential. You'll have as many recruits as needed, and then some.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

The only issue with that, is that you DO need the requisite skills to use the gear. You get the skills by just doing stuff, like killing things while wearing plate armor to improve your plate armor skill.

The rest of what you said checks out, though. Getting to Journeyman is easy, and that's where gear starts to become actually good. WIth a large goon presence, a lot can be ours.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I heard about this game in the iOS thread and it looks cool. Reminds me of Mythos when it had an open world.

I'm assuming you can only play on PC for now. Would I have to wait for release to check it out on iPad?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

The Royal Scrub posted:

I heard about this game in the iOS thread and it looks cool. Reminds me of Mythos when it had an open world.

I'm assuming you can only play on PC for now. Would I have to wait for release to check it out on iPad?

You can currently play on: browser, Windows, Linux, OSX, and Android. The iOS client is coming but it's not out yet in alpha.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I grabbed founder for this a while ago and just realized the beta is running now. From the few minutes I've spent in game so far it looks like this is going to be an enjoyable experience.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I bought a founder's pack last night, and proceeded to stay up until 4am slogging(literally, too much weight slows you to a crawl) back to town with a full inventory of iron and wood, murdered several wolves for their cozy pelts, almost got my rear end kicked by a poacher one tier above me because I am a squishy mage, and making more tools with which to get higher tier materials to slog back to town.

Definitely enjoying it. For an alpha, it's already well fleshed-out and they can only continue to improve it.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Now that ArcheAge is dead and gone, I have a reason to pick this up. I was hoping this would basically be a carbon copy of Ultima, and it looks like it's coming close, save for a few things, obviously. Hopefully we can get enough people for a Goon guild.

Can someone in a lesser tier ever beat someone in a higher tier? As in, does skill play a part in the combat of this at all?

v It'll be dead soon when the people who haven't left from the Pedophile Harborers Association realize that ArcheAge is a bad, boring MMO flaunting itself as a sandbox. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 26, 2014

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

zwdzk posted:

Now that ArcheAge is dead and gone, I have a reason to pick this up. I was hoping this would basically be a carbon copy of Ultima, and it looks like it's coming close, save for a few things, obviously. Hopefully we can get enough people for a Goon guild.

Can someone in a lesser tier ever beat someone in a higher tier? As in, does skill play a part in the combat of this at all?

How is ArcheAge dead and gone? The thread died certainly, but the guild and the servers are still packed.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I broke down and bought this a couple days ago. I am enjoying things right now but I am going to temper the UO comparisons a bit. This is just my opinion from the noob areas of the game.

For reference, I loved UO not because of the open world pvp alone but the wide variety of things to do and characters to create. Every game since has basically tried to limit what players could do or where they could go.

This game does have some of the open world pvp but its more like EVE or WOW as there are different levels of pvp based on the zone you are in rather than just a yes/no switch when you leave town. I haven't really explored these areas yet so I'm not sure if this will be the majority of higher level play or not. I assume these are where the better materials are so it should force play there. The world also has a lot of annoying barriers to travel. Lot of rocks and cliffs and rivers everywhere, forcing you along certain routes to some degree.

The biggest hurdle is just a lack of variety. I am assuming this is because its an alpha but I think there needs to be a lot of improvement here to make a lasting and immersive game. Right now, it consists of gathering materials to make your own weapons/armor/tools to gather more materials to make your next level weapons/armor/tools. The items basically consist of plate, leather, or cloth(warrior, ranger, or mage). Maybe there's more at higher tiers? I dunno. There is nothing else yet. No alchemy, tracking, hiding, taming, poisoning, cooking, etc. They've also said stealing is probably not going in due to the grief potential.

The "vendors" in towns are just crafting stations. You bring your raw materials to a "vendor" or station, and craft it. You don't buy anything unless you get it from players at the marketplace. Marketplaces are local, like EVE, I think.

Every weapon and armor also comes with its own spells, which I am not sold on yet. So you build a broadsword. During the creation process, you can pick from several spells. So maybe you add a damage modifier and a bleed. A shield may have a stun and a reflect. Also, with the high decay rate of items, my character has much higher level crafting skills than fighting skills just because I need to constantly gather stuff. This is apparently being looked at so people are not forced to be crafters and also stimulate the economy for those that want to be crafters.

Just so this isn't a downer post, there are things I like. It looks pretty. Wish it was less cartoony but that's a minor quibble. Its also remarkably stable and mostly lag free. Nothing appears broken. It feels like a complete game already, for what's available to do. If they just copied/pasted UO's list of skills, I'd be in love.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I broke down and bought this a couple days ago. I am enjoying things right now but I am going to temper the UO comparisons a bit. This is just my opinion from the noob areas of the game.

For reference, I loved UO not because of the open world pvp alone but the wide variety of things to do and characters to create. Every game since has basically tried to limit what players could do or where they could go.

This game does have some of the open world pvp but its more like EVE or WOW as there are different levels of pvp based on the zone you are in rather than just a yes/no switch when you leave town. I haven't really explored these areas yet so I'm not sure if this will be the majority of higher level play or not. I assume these are where the better materials are so it should force play there. The world also has a lot of annoying barriers to travel. Lot of rocks and cliffs and rivers everywhere, forcing you along certain routes to some degree.

The biggest hurdle is just a lack of variety. I am assuming this is because its an alpha but I think there needs to be a lot of improvement here to make a lasting and immersive game. Right now, it consists of gathering materials to make your own weapons/armor/tools to gather more materials to make your next level weapons/armor/tools. The items basically consist of plate, leather, or cloth(warrior, ranger, or mage). Maybe there's more at higher tiers? I dunno. There is nothing else yet. No alchemy, tracking, hiding, taming, poisoning, cooking, etc. They've also said stealing is probably not going in due to the grief potential.

The "vendors" in towns are just crafting stations. You bring your raw materials to a "vendor" or station, and craft it. You don't buy anything unless you get it from players at the marketplace. Marketplaces are local, like EVE, I think.

Every weapon and armor also comes with its own spells, which I am not sold on yet. So you build a broadsword. During the creation process, you can pick from several spells. So maybe you add a damage modifier and a bleed. A shield may have a stun and a reflect. Also, with the high decay rate of items, my character has much higher level crafting skills than fighting skills just because I need to constantly gather stuff. This is apparently being looked at so people are not forced to be crafters and also stimulate the economy for those that want to be crafters.

Just so this isn't a downer post, there are things I like. It looks pretty. Wish it was less cartoony but that's a minor quibble. Its also remarkably stable and mostly lag free. Nothing appears broken. It feels like a complete game already, for what's available to do. If they just copied/pasted UO's list of skills, I'd be in love.

The devs have said they will definitely be adding more things to do in terms of skills, both combat and non-combat. Farming, potion making, cooking food, more spell variety on combat gear, etc. The current progression is a placeholder, and they will be improving what later tiers of equipment bring to you.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I have been in a lot of early access games and am pleasantly surprised at the route the devs are taking with this one. Everything Kung Fu Jesus said is true, but with release probably a year away I am more than confident they will meet all of his concerns and then some. There will be another closed alpha at the end of the year and then a few months until the first beta so we are probably looking at fall 2015 for an actual release.

The thing to keep in mind, like KFJ said, is the game already feels complete. The devs have stated they are focused on getting the game into a stable, release-quality build. At that point they will really add content to flesh everything out before releasing it. The game as-is would be a great tablet/phone MMO, and it runs great without any crashes on my PC. Once they start adding more content and really flesh out the spells/crafting system like they have said they will I think this is going to be a gem. Death is loving harsh and they have repeatedly said they don't plan on changing that.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I have been in a lot of early access games and am pleasantly surprised at the route the devs are taking with this one. Everything Kung Fu Jesus said is true, but with release probably a year away I am more than confident they will meet all of his concerns and then some. There will be another closed alpha at the end of the year and then a few months until the first beta so we are probably looking at fall 2015 for an actual release.

The thing to keep in mind, like KFJ said, is the game already feels complete. The devs have stated they are focused on getting the game into a stable, release-quality build. At that point they will really add content to flesh everything out before releasing it. The game as-is would be a great tablet/phone MMO, and it runs great without any crashes on my PC. Once they start adding more content and really flesh out the spells/crafting system like they have said they will I think this is going to be a gem. Death is loving harsh and they have repeatedly said they don't plan on changing that.

Died due to overpulling a bunch of a tier III poachers that were congregating in one area, and I was pissed. Getting my stuff back was not only a race to outclick the attack rate of the enemies standing near my corpse in order to put each item back in my inventory, but a race against some rear end in a top hat who died a second after me and was going straight for my items. He fortunately got murdered again shortly afterward. Let it be said that adventuring in mage gear is a pain in the rear end and I recommend plate or leather instead, unless you're in a group. Death is a harsh mistress and I haven't felt that kind of penalty in a game in a very long time.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Broke down and purchased it already. So far I'm having an enjoyable time crafting and killing. The game is veritably smooth and playable even at this stage. I haven't figured out how to add people yet, but I'm in game as Hotbutteredcooter. I'm ready to kill internet people.

e: What guilds are you guys in/what are some good guilds to join in the meantime?

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 28, 2014

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. What's the official world on upgrading Founder packages? I may risk 50 bucks, but 100 is a harder pill to swallow without trying the game beforehand.

If I understand what I'm reading, you can send 10 coordinated newbies against a high level character, wipe him out and steal his equipment, then use it against the rest of his guild/sell it in the market. This is guerilla tactics at its finest.

What I mean is that Goons will love this amount of griefing potential. You'll have as many recruits as needed, and then some.

You can theoretically one-combo a High Tier player with 5 or so Tier 3 archers, which is incredibly cheap and easy to make or buy.

That being said, me and only two others ended up killing three guys tonight running around on their mounts with Tier 5 gear with this setup. None of us can use any of it so we have a mismatch of random Tier 5 and 6 gear in our stashes. It's all about catching people on their mounts because they can't fight back for a long time even after they dismount.

The game is surprisingly fluid and playable for an alpha, I think the only reason it is in alpha is the lack of features implemented in it, but this generally isn't a problem in sandbox games as your main feature is the player on player interaction. I haven't come across any bugs, save for a bug that randomly disconnects me from games every once in a while at the worst possible times.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

zwdzk posted:

Broke down and purchased it already. So far I'm having an enjoyable time crafting and killing. The game is veritably smooth and playable even at this stage. I haven't figured out how to add people yet, but I'm in game as Hotbutteredcooter. I'm ready to kill internet people.

e: What guilds are you guys in/what are some good guilds to join in the meantime?

I just joined a guild named Motion. There's always at least 15-20 ppl on from what i've seen and we have t4 shops/guild hall i believe.
Nice bunch of guys who will help you with your questions and arent afraid to PvP. They also have a teamspeak server. :D

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Their own roadmap says release Q1 2015 so I'd say a year away is a rather poor assumption

Shodai fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 28, 2014

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I'd like to make another recommendation to new players:make yourself a set of tier II gear when you get to that point, and then go find a group of people to dungeon with. It's easy to rack up silver this way so you can buy your tier III gear and focus on saving your crafting materials for tools and your mount. Gear is relatively inexpensive and a few dungeon runs/killing NPCs in the wild will net you some decent silver gains to help you out. If you're one of those "I must solo everything" types, then you should comfortable be capable of soloing single mobs in leather or plate mail up to veteran tier III, but I believe elites will destroy you pretty fast. My experience with caster gear is one of "poo poo poo poo! PRESS HEAL NOW! gently caress" and it's not fun to do solo.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I'm Vitricus in-game.

So far I have just played solo pve. I've gotten to tier 3 gear and tried mage, fighter, and ranger. At this low level, fighter seems the obvious winner for grinding mobs. Is there any reason to wear anything besides plate for any character? Because at the low tiers, the armor spells are mostly the same, with some small differences. I can't seem to kite mobs at all or even fire my ranged weapons on the move. So basically, everything runs up to me and we duke it out. That's where plate wins. Do the differences in armor show up at some point?

Also, regarding horses, they seem to be best just for moving around. Do you guys in pvp zones keep your horses or ride them? Because it seems pointless due to the cooldown any time you switch anything. I would think it'd be best to always be ready for a fight, no horse, and weapons equipped.

Final question. I asked this on the forum but no one answered. Is there any way to tell the silver cost at a particular vendor without going to all of them? I thought the map would help but it doesn't seem to give me that info. I see something about using the station costs 2 silver, for example, but that doesn't make any sense.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
I think the silver cost refers to the cost of individual units of production, i.e. one T3 log -> T3 lumber. Also, I just got murdered by trolls outside of a dungeon and destroyed all my gear in the following attempts to retrieve it. I'm having fun.

e: Haven't been in game yet to check it out so I could be a big stupid idiot for saying that.
e2: Ok, so the the tax on the crafted good is based on the tier, I guess. Tier 3 materials craft at a base cost of 11 silver each, and Tier 4 materials have a base cost of 32 silver. Add the extra tax and usage fees on after. Someone said that the usage fee on the map is that cluster's tax rate, but that didn't add up when I checked it out.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 29, 2014

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

For farming, it seems that using plate armor is the most viable option. The damage bonus from archers and mages isn't significant enough to warrant their low health and defensive stats. If taunt wasn't broken/inconsistent then groups that have archers would be good. For pvp each type of gear has it's benefits, but from what I've seen is that even archers wear plate armor, leather seems to be the weakest right now.

Whenever me and my friends are rolling around for pvp, we're never mounted. The only time we bring horses is when we're in T4 or above. We usually just pvp in T3 leather because its so dirt cheap and effective. We don't even bring mounts because it quadruples the cost of our armor and weapons.

I think the only way to tell the tax on a shop is to actually visit it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Been playing this for a bit this weekend and I'll second what everyone said. For an Alpha, is very stable and feature complete, the only thing the game needs now is content. The little I've seen (up to T3-T4) everything is bit monotonous (same monsters up to tier V, few diferenciation between players), but it seems that the developers are adding stuff at a good clip, so I expect this to change.

Regarding pvp areas, the best policy is to keep your weapons on hand all the time. I think you can outrun most of the unmounted players, but I'd rather not risk someone having a move that lets them pull you off your horse/slow you down. You're very weak unless prepared for battle and with your skills at the ready.

ln206
Sep 29, 2014
hopefully a guild will be formed.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
I learned tonight of unmarked dungeons, and how they can yield a ton of money. I made 1300 silver per veteran mob on my first run. Fast, easy money with a partner. Also, I joined Westport Pirates. They're helpful and they have a decent setup in Westport if any other Goon wants to use them as an interim guild.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ln206 posted:

I'll be up for joining when we hit beta, at least. Hopefully we get some awareness up, because the game is fun. Example:

Last night I was conscripted to act as a bodyguard for a scavenging expedition on pvp lands. 1 dude was gathering resources and us three were waiting quietly a screen away. As soon as someone attacked our gatherer (which was often), we would charge in, kill whomever and steal their stuff.

I upgraded from Tier 3 to Tier 4 armour and weapons in a hurry and without spending a single silver, but even with worse equipment 3 people can tackle a dude a couple of Tiers higher. This makes swarm tactics viable.

I'm waiting for the implementation of stealth, because that will meant that gathering runs have to be organized, multi person affairs. Having a stealthed person get the drop on you will meant death unless there is a huge gap in equipment, so you can do low-equipment fast attacks in order to gather some nice stuff unless there are several opposing players.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

implementation of stealth

I had hope for this game too.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Extra posted:

I had hope for this game too.

ESO gave stealth to everyone and look how that turned out :q:

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

ln206 posted:

Working on it for Alpha 2.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Stanley Pain posted:

ESO gave stealth to everyone and look how that turned out :q:

I don't see how they'd really restrict it with the current skill tree. Maybe if it's really far down one specialization and has multiple levels of effectiveness that are progressively harder to achieve?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Are any of you playing now considering this round of alpha seems to be ending soon? If so, post or message me, in as Ruggan.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

PsychicToaster posted:

How is ArcheAge dead and gone? The thread died certainly, but the guild and the servers are still packed.

The goons are running strong in AA. We dominate the Aranzeb NA server, 2 guilds on west and 1 on east. Also the thread is back up and doing fine.

People keep saying that the game will be dead soon because it is terribly programmed, and is sadistically grindy. It is not worth your money. However its fun atm, if you have time enough to poopsock to max lvl.

On topic, this game tickles our UO nostalgia glands, is full loot and will be playable on any screen tablet thingy.

The SA will honor it, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So what are the endgame sort of goals in this game? I'm all about PvP, but just wondering what other things are in the game.

• Locked thread