Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Eonwe posted:

So what are the endgame sort of goals in this game? I'm all about PvP, but just wondering what other things are in the game.

Kill everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
The best endgame goal is to be the best.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eonwe posted:

So what are the endgame sort of goals in this game? I'm all about PvP, but just wondering what other things are in the game.

It is whatever you make it. With a proper community, I'm sure it will thrive just as UO and SWG did at "endgame".

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
This looks pretty good, but I guess it's going to be very simplified if they expect people on tablets to play it too. Are there any skill shots at all or is it only right click to attack through the entire game?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Phosphia posted:

This looks pretty good, but I guess it's going to be very simplified if they expect people on tablets to play it too. Are there any skill shots at all or is it only right click to attack through the entire game?

No skill shots, but I think that the skill system sets up very interesting scenarios as far as character builds go. All skills/spells come from the armor you wear. There isn't a huge amount of variety right now, but if they add more (they have said they will) it will open up the door for endless possibilities for interesting character builds. The group PVP is pretty solid as well so I can see the potential for some really crazy group builds.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

They updated their 6 month roadmap: https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/5785-New-6-Months-Roadmap/?postID=61228#post61228

They talk about some of the things people have mentioned in this thread and a lot of other things.

Seems like it should be good if they can deliver.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

madcow posted:

They updated their 6 month roadmap: https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/5785-New-6-Months-Roadmap/?postID=61228#post61228

They talk about some of the things people have mentioned in this thread and a lot of other things.

Seems like it should be good if they can deliver.

Everything was great until I saw that loving crime flag toggle.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

zwdzk posted:

Everything was great until I saw that loving crime flag toggle.

Honestly I don't see what's wrong with that. There's nothing that stops you from playing as hostile, and it's only in the soft pvp zones. I can't say I love it but it could work and it doesn't change much about the game.

I think most of the changes sound great, and they seem pretty committed to keeping an open pvp environment. They're just trying to make the game more newbie friendly. Works for EVE.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Is this thread slow because no one is playing it, because it is bad, or both?

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Dustoph posted:

Is this thread slow because no one is playing it, because it is bad, or both?

Because the game isn't even out yet. Come back next Spring/Summer.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I can spend money and play the game right now from what I understand? That's how the current goons are playing correct? So option 1? Other Alpha/beta phases of games have/had plenty of goons playing them.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Dustoph posted:

I can spend money and play the game right now from what I understand? That's how the current goons are playing correct? So option 1? Other Alpha/beta phases of games have/had plenty of goons playing them.

No, you can't. They had a temporary alpha test going that ended on the 16th of October. Nobody's talking about it because they can't play it until the next test.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'll check in during the next phase.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Dustoph posted:

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'll check in during the next phase.

Stay tuned, because I think we're gonna try to set up a goon guild in the next alpha.

Tagnik
Nov 6, 2009
I'm loving the look and concepts of this game but don't own a tablet. Looks like I'll just wait!

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Tagnik posted:

I'm loving the look and concepts of this game but don't own a tablet. Looks like I'll just wait!

I've only played it on Windows and it runs fine.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

a harpy posted:

I've only played it on Windows and it runs fine.

Same. I actually like the cleaner aesthetic the tablet constraint forces on the game. Feels way less cluttered than the average MMO.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Ruggan posted:

Honestly I don't see what's wrong with that. There's nothing that stops you from playing as hostile, and it's only in the soft pvp zones. I can't say I love it but it could work and it doesn't change much about the game.

I think most of the changes sound great, and they seem pretty committed to keeping an open pvp environment. They're just trying to make the game more newbie friendly. Works for EVE.

I don't get the flagging thing they are going for.

"People can still attack each other freely in PvP zones with the exception that friendly players cannot attack other friendly players."

That seems to me like if you are flagged as friendly, you are 100% not involved in pvp no matter what zone you are in. I didn't read all 16 pages of that thread so maybe I'm missing something. Am I reading that wrong?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

"People can still attack each other freely in PvP zones with the exception that friendly players cannot attack other friendly players."

That seems to me like if you are flagged as friendly, you are 100% not involved in pvp no matter what zone you are in. I didn't read all 16 pages of that thread so maybe I'm missing something. Am I reading that wrong?

From what you wrote, it looks like if you flag up, then you are hostile to everyone. Meanwhile, if you don't flag (are friendly), then your abilities won't hit other friendly players, but would hit flagged players. I assume that the idea is that if a group of strangers is doing an activity together, they can more easily band up to take out aggressors without accidentally killing each other. It also serves as a warning prior to being attacked since an enemy has to swap that toggle on first.

Hostile hits everyone (including friendly)
Friendly hits nonfriendly

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
This sounds interesting so I'm bookmarking the thread until Christmas bonuses hit in.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Unless I am not remembering correctly, the flagging system won't apply in every zone, just certain select zones, the dev/ceo explains the whole concept further down in the thread.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

This game looks great and I might actually be able to get some fun out of it playing casually. Specially with promised iPad support. I hope they can deliver on that promise by release. Has anyone played it on a tablet? I'm curious how well it plays on something around 9 inches.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 9, 2014

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

What does "early 2015" mean? Has there been an estimated date mentioned?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Gameplay looks a lot like league of legends, I dunno.

I'm not buying in early on this after all.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012
Just curious if I ran into any of you guys in the beta. What guilds/Names did you go by?

Vikings - Thantos

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
For those of you who have played it does it control like a DoTA game?

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012
I find the pvp extremely moba like in the top down regard. Also the controls are similar but be prepared to be zerged by factions running a 20 man gank group to your 5 man team. There are no rules that protect you from getting rushed down outside of guild territory. Most people will farm mats in a area controlled by their guild so as to have a limited ability to fall back to a protected zone. Even though you can still and will be caught in the open many times and global'ed to death by a good group with a control mage.

Most guilds have come to rely on using a oxman for resource hauling and running a 5-8 man protection detail around him while farming mats. They all hand off mats to the ox and keep their mobility high while only sacrificing one player ability to be in a combat spec. You will find that this draws attention if seen by a larger guild and they will form up to attack you on the same token though. Adds quite a bit of strategy around the logistics game of getting resources not only farmed but from point A but back to base to store them. I had a real fun time with it though and the open pvp was a really fresh change of pace. That and not knowing if going outside your guild bases was going to mean running into a straight on gank squad and what tools and weapons you are willing to risk on solo travel much less a full on mount. (yes mounts can be looted).

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Customfresh posted:

What does "early 2015" mean? Has there been an estimated date mentioned?

I am curious about this too. All i see is them saying Closed Beta will start Q3 2015.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012
Next alpha is Jan 26th and they have added a second summer alpha with beta testing to follow in fall as I understand it and aiming for a end of year release.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

So i decided i am going to buy a founder pack so i can get into the winter alpha in a couple of weeks. Did anyone else have interest in a goon guild? Or do we want to just hookup with other guilds so we can make sure we see some of the late game stuff?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I'm down for either. I was in some guild last alpha (can't remember which) that ended up being the perfect competitive/casual mix. I could probably get back in with them.

If we have enough people, though, I'd always prefer to play in a goon guild. The average IQ tends to be higher, and I'm less likely to be playing with spergy 12 year olds just based on average age of SA. Thing is, we would need at least 10 or so decently active players to not get repeatedly rolled by other groups AND to get a base foothold somewhere decent.

Edit: if you're hovering this thread wondering if you really want to get in on this next alpha, feel free to ask questions!

Ruggan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 12, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like, what does the endgame seem to be? Is there a lot of crafting/housing stuff, or is it really mostly PvP?

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Eonwe posted:

like, what does the endgame seem to be? Is there a lot of crafting/housing stuff, or is it really mostly PvP?

I would assume endgame is getting top tier gear, capturing cities, and i think i saw something about guild casltes

Ruggan posted:

I'm down for either. I was in some guild last alpha (can't remember which) that ended up being the perfect competitive/casual mix. I could probably get back in with them.

If we have enough people, though, I'd always prefer to play in a goon guild. The average IQ tends to be higher, and I'm less likely to be playing with spergy 12 year olds just based on average age of SA. Thing is, we would need at least 10 or so decently active players to not get repeatedly rolled by other groups AND to get a base foothold somewhere decent.

Edit: if you're hovering this thread wondering if you really want to get in on this next alpha, feel free to ask questions!

I would be willing to put in the grind, but i think you are right in us needing a solid 10 players.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Eonwe posted:

In the first alpha it was mainly capturing territories and reaching the upper equipment tiers. They're purportedly expanding on that though to make it more multifaceted - personal island, crafting / FarmVille type stuff, expanding on the economy (crafting station / building ownership for towns was already in game). I think the end vision is an open world with plenty to do but also full loot open pvp in the non-city areas you'll want to be.

As for the full loot pvp, don't let that scare you off. From the first alpha I can comment that losing a full set of gear sucked but I always had at least one or two backup sets so it never crushed me. Even if I hadn't, there was always gear lying around that guild mates had graduated from, and making a new set would have been doable, even trivial for the first few tiers.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012
If you decide on joining and picking up a founders pack feel free to use the referral link! For every referral you get, you get extra gold added to your account more then willing to give a 60% you - 40% me split to anyone that uses it, and really a win/win situation. No reason not to.

Thantos - IGN just hit me up if you link and I will mail you the proceeds, I keep track of the referals, plus they have a page on the forum that lists referals as well so easy to track who I owe, etc.

https://albiononline.com/?ref=EWK9S1KN42

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
I'll probably pick this up for the next alpha... been following the game for a while. Hate paying for something that isn't coming out for so long but it looks fun. Would be interested in a goon group.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

thantos911 posted:

If you decide on joining and picking up a founders pack feel free to use the referral link! For every referral you get, you get extra gold added to your account more then willing to give a 60% you - 40% me split to anyone that uses it, and really a win/win situation. No reason not to.

Thantos - IGN just hit me up if you link and I will mail you the proceeds, I keep track of the referals, plus they have a page on the forum that lists referals as well so easy to track who I owe, etc.

I will use your referral link. Although i don't like referrals, it just makes the game feel so scammy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thantos911 posted:

Alrighty, bought into this used your referral link. I've played Mortal and Darkfal so I'm not really worried about full loot. glad to hear they are expanding on the endgame

Its not that I don't like PvP, I just think its a lot more fun if there is fleshed out PvP along with lots of other types of activities.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 13, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also if it ends up being good i think i can convince a lot of other goons to play

by the way, is there an IRC, Mumble, etc?

If there isn't a Mumble channel set up, may as well use Camping the Stairs. Thoughts?

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

god, please don't remind me of that failure.

• Locked thread