Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I'm so tempted to buy in to this, but, I think I can just wait until 2025 or whenever it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jhorphear posted:

god, please don't remind me of that failure.

yea maybe the worst game ive ever played

you could just glitch into a cliff face, set up a macro to mine in 100% safety, and your friend could come by every 10 minutes or so and take all the ore off of you

but since its a new page, do you guys have a Mumble server you are using? If not, we can use Camping the Stairs. (Info in PGS)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Eonwe posted:

you could just glitch into a cliff face, set up a macro to mine in 100% safety, and your friend could come by every 10 minutes or so and take all the ore off of you

but since its a new page, do you guys have a Mumble server you are using? If not, we can use Camping the Stairs. (Info in PGS)

I say just use CTS. It's not like there will be the numbers to warrant a dedicated Mumble like Archeage. :mmmsmug:

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Agreed. We still need a pretty solid player base to get super organised. Might want to find a guild that would take us in and we can slowly take it over or destroy it when the time is right.

So i just vote for CTS right now.

Eonwe posted:

Or you could glitch into your enemies fort by just walking into it before the ramparts loaded...

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 13, 2015

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

jhorphear posted:

Agreed. We still need a pretty solid player base to get super organised. Might want to find a guild that would take us in and we can slowly take it over or destroy it when the time is right.

So i just vote for CTS right now.

Or you could glitch into your enemies fort by just walking into it before the ramparts loaded...

Yeah, that is a good plan unless we get a bunch of goons.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alexander DeLarge
King Fu Jesus
Shodai
a harpy
Gargoyle
jabro
D-Pad
hundredseven
comaerror
iminers
Pendent
PsychicToaster
zwdzk
Ruggan
jhorphear
thantos911
Eonwe

these are the people who implied (or confirmed) they have bought a founder's pack in the thread

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
$100 for head start alpha access...

Man I haven't been here before. I mean, how could I say no?

Quick question: will this game also function as a support group for people who preorder games?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
of course, all of us have obviously made a terrible life choice to be in the alpha

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Eonwe posted:

of course, all of us have obviously made a terrible life choice to be in the alpha

I'm strongly considering also being a big idiot and buying it. I just wanna play uo again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Schwack posted:

I'm strongly considering also being a big idiot and buying it. I just wanna play uo again.

join us, friend

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

I'd like to see a goon who makes good life choices...

But that is a solid list. Maybe a goon guild isn't a terrible idea.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Alrighty, bought into this used your referral link. I've played Mortal and Darkfal so I'm not really worried about full loot. glad to hear they are expanding on the endgame

Its not that I don't like PvP, I just think its a lot more fun if there is fleshed out PvP along with lots of other types of activities.

Cool shoot me a IGN name when you decide I use Thantos in the beta. Game is fairly entertaining if you run with a group. Solo play is more about running away from everyone you come in contact with in the wild, which is a lot les fun :).

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012
Also when you buy in you have to actually go in and apply your code to your game account or you will not get beta access.... I know it seems like something that should automatically happen but it does not. Just log in and go to your account you will see a code in your account which you have to apply using redeem a code. Then you get founders rights and beta access. I did not understand this at first and assumed you just got beta added to your account automatically but no.

edit: I guess they could do this so that you can give the code to a friend or something so they don't apply the code automatically to your account.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thantos911 posted:

Also when you buy in you have to actually go in and apply your code to your game account or you will not get beta access.... I know it seems like something that should automatically happen but it does not. Just log in and go to your account you will see a code in your account which you have to apply using redeem a code. Then you get founders rights and beta access. I did not understand this at first and assumed you just got beta added to your account automatically but no.

edit: I guess they could do this so that you can give the code to a friend or something so they don't apply the code automatically to your account.

Yep, code is applied so I'm set!

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

jhorphear posted:

I'd like to see a goon who makes good life choices...

But that is a solid list. Maybe a goon guild isn't a terrible idea.

I would pug this time around honestly. Most power guilds that are in game at the moment are around 200 man guilds to 300 man guilds. Vikings was 300 with a sister guild last beta before it ended and was allied to 4 other guilds, 2 of which had 150+ people. That held till the very end of the beta which saw Vendetta break away. Point being 30 people might hold a territory or 2 max but no way they can hold a zone or in the Vikings case 2 high lvl material zones which to farm mats from. The end game becomes all about the guilds ability to keep other guilds out of it's turf and keep it's crafters and harvesters safe from getting constantly farmed/ganked.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I never got rolled by Vikings (in fact I ended up killing a bunch of them), only Vendetta. They were definitely the strongest on the server. Didn't they only have 30 or so people? I swear numbers were never that high, bc I recall seeing max 20 people in a zone at any given time. Regardless, you're probably right - maybe we should just pick a pub guild and all join that one, that way it isn't just us during Alpha. I'm fine with whatever.

For those of you that didn't play the first Alpha, Vendetta was "that guild" - the one with a forum presence and real application process. Tryhards to the highest degree.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I'm considering buying a founders pack, based on what you guys have seen so far how much time do you estimate a person would need to put into this to be able to survive in pvp, maybe not top tier but at least competitive in a group? I don't have time in my life to grind MMOs anymore but this looks like it might bring back some of that old school UO full loot action.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

Ruggan posted:

I never got rolled by Vikings (in fact I ended up killing a bunch of them), only Vendetta. They were definitely the strongest on the server. Didn't they only have 30 or so people? I swear numbers were never that high, bc I recall seeing max 20 people in a zone at any given time. Regardless, you're probably right - maybe we should just pick a pub guild and all join that one, that way it isn't just us during Alpha. I'm fine with whatever.

For those of you that didn't play the first Alpha, Vendetta was "that guild" - the one with a forum presence and real application process. Tryhards to the highest degree.

Well Vikings figured out that we could not add new members after 300 members. So a second guild had to be started, Vendetta was our ally guild and they had at the end of the beta 150 members total. Maybe not all active at once mind you. I know even at the end weeks Vikings could barely manage a 30 man raid group because so few people where online. Vendetta are the strongest guild around currently not taking away anything from the other guilds out there, just stating the fact.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

Mavric posted:

I'm considering buying a founders pack, based on what you guys have seen so far how much time do you estimate a person would need to put into this to be able to survive in pvp, maybe not top tier but at least competitive in a group? I don't have time in my life to grind MMOs anymore but this looks like it might bring back some of that old school UO full loot action.

Well might not be the game for you then honestly, would love to see more people joining but it is a grind fest when it comes to building shops, houses, equipment, furniture, etc.... Tier based system like UO's, the more you build bronze hammer the better you get at it etc... then you can build metal hammer(just a example). Master craftsmen can build some decent gear and proc. upgrades on the gear based on the skill of the smith and smithing that tier of gear. Fighting has the same flow behind it, more you fight with a staff the better you get allowing you to use higher tiers of staves etc. Each tier has better abilities and more damage. Same with all armor, items all go by a use based system.

If you do decide you want in feel free to use my referral and I will pass along 60% of the referral bonus gold.

https://albiononline.com/?ref=EWK9S1KN42

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, this game still looks fairly interesting to me, but I'm still put off by the unknown testing periods.

Do we have any indication this time around how long the testing period will be, and when it might start? I'll need to see if I will have time to spend on this game, before I pay to play.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

inkmoth posted:

So, this game still looks fairly interesting to me, but I'm still put off by the unknown testing periods.

Do we have any indication this time around how long the testing period will be, and when it might start? I'll need to see if I will have time to spend on this game, before I pay to play.

The next testing period starts on January 26th and should last about 2-6 weeks ( have heard 4 weeks by most people ). There is going to be one more closed Alpha in the summer, followed by closed then open beta at years end.

Just scrolling through guild recruitment threads, i found a guild named "Genesis empire of fluffy kittens" i think we should join them.

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 15, 2015

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
This looks interesting. Will probably buy the Founders Pack.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

thantos911 posted:

Well might not be the game for you then honestly, would love to see more people joining but it is a grind fest when it comes to building shops, houses, equipment, furniture, etc....

Hmm unfortunate... I guess my next question is how much are people required to craft and grind out trade skills themselves? UO for example I could just farm gold on monsters and buy crafted gear without having to GM blacksmithing myself. Does it look like such a player economy will exist in this game? Or am I literally gonna have to make everything myself to stay in it. I'm not expecting no grind, but I just came off of archeage and I'm kinda suffering from farmville shock.

I'll be sure to use your code if I jump in, thanks.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

I understand that AO isn't made for smartphones, but is it possible to log into the game with one? Or is it just not recommended?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

SamEyeAm posted:

I understand that AO isn't made for smartphones, but is it possible to log into the game with one? Or is it just not recommended?

I played on mine. I wouldn't recommend leaving town on it but you can do town-like things.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

You can grind silver and buy your items off people. Since there are no items to buy from npcs the economy is suppouse to be 100% player driven.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

jhorphear posted:

You can grind silver and buy your items off people. Since there are no items to buy from npcs the economy is suppouse to be 100% player driven.

Can I make and sell steamed buns to starving goons?

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

jhorphear posted:

The next testing period starts on January 26th and should last about 2-6 weeks ( have heard 4 weeks by most people ). There is going to be one more closed Alpha in the summer, followed by closed then open beta at years end.

Just scrolling through guild recruitment threads, i found a guild named "Genesis empire of fluffy kittens" i think we should join them.

There are safe cities that host UNLINKED auction houses. Each major city has one, the point being that getting goods to the Auction house is not guaranteed. Most crafting caravans will be one ox with 6-8 mounted riders for protection, as the ox allows you to carry 2200% weight. But they are drat slow with the legendary one topping out at 90% run speed. Horses start at 150% movement speed and go up from there. So yes in short you can acquire gear and materials from the AH or off of dead bodies of those trying to move gear to the AH :).

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Can I make and sell steamed buns to starving goons?

hmmm not yet in game. Farming is in game, and food is in game and buffs from food will be in this alpha wave for testing. Just nothing fancy as UO's cooking yet.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

jabro posted:

I played on mine. I wouldn't recommend leaving town on it but you can do town-like things.

All the keys can be mapped yes, and can be played on tablet but would I recommend trying to pvp on a tablet.... no.

spacemarine1999
Nov 26, 2013

The memory
of this experience
will fade
i'll be playing aswell and answering questions here later.

currently most of the guilds are in preperation mode for the test.
As it looks like its going to be a minimum of 4 weeks this time starting on jan 26th/27th(last time they extended 2 more weeks)
The next alpha is around may/june before they plan to move into closed beta

if you want to use my reflink, you can do that.

for fairness sake I offer the same deal like thanatos911 - 60% of the currency I get per referral goes back to you

https://albiononline.com/?ref=R1A3VBQLCZ

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea im good with joining an already existing guild for this test, and maybe for open beta/release we'll try to get a bunch of goons together for a guild

still though, do those guys have 300 members in the same way that 300 members signed up on their site and are on their member list, or 300 members reasonably actively playing the game?

like in Darkfall before release there were guilds that claimed 1000+ members but there was tons of overlap because some of those members had joined 4-5 guilds before launch

eonwe fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 16, 2015

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ugh, so i decided to try and get into vendetta, although they seem like a bunch of turds. But on the bright side, they seem like a good target for infiltrating in the long run.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

thantos911 posted:

All the keys can be mapped yes, and can be played on tablet but would I recommend trying to pvp on a tablet.... no.

We were talking about smartphones, not tablets. But now you suggest no PvP on tablets?? That concerns me. Anyone else able to share your experience playing AO on a tablet?

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

SamEyeAm posted:

We were talking about smartphones, not tablets. But now you suggest no PvP on tablets?? That concerns me. Anyone else able to share your experience playing AO on a tablet?

Well it is quite a lot like playing LOL on a tablet if you are good with that then there is no issue honestly. I mean you can do most things fairly well but competitive pvping is not one of them for me on a tablet.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

jhorphear posted:

Ugh, so i decided to try and get into vendetta, although they seem like a bunch of turds. But on the bright side, they seem like a good target for infiltrating in the long run.

I joined Vendetta as I was a Viking last go around and allied with them. When Vikings decided end of beta not to reform I hoped over to Vendetta, mostly to get some solid end game experience as they had all the end game crafting huts up that no one else had last beta but them.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'll get in on this I guess. Looks cool.

Schwack posted:

I just wanna play uo again.

tuscany
Apr 13, 2007

This looks awesome. Surprised I haven't heard of it before. Definitely gonna be playing this when it releases.

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012
Who all is in for certain this go around? Post IGN's if you have one already and any guild affiliation currently as there is no goon guild up yet.

Thantos - Vendetta

Also:

Looks like I just got my first 2 referrals approved Legendary is going for 4k gold bonus total and Vet's are 3k total bonus so offer still stands.

If you do decide you want in feel free to use my referral and I will pass along 60% of the referral bonus gold.

https://albiononline.com/?ref=EWK9S1KN42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Eonwe - no guild yet

• Locked thread