Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Albion Online is an isometric open world sandbox title created by Sandbox Interactive that is currently in the very polished alpha stages. When I said it in the title, I meant it. It really is the closest thing you'll ever get to a proper Ultima Online successor.

It's also completely cross platform. You can play on your iOS/Android phone or tablet, jump onto your Mac/Linux/Windows PC or even play it through your browser. The devs really want you to be constantly connected and once you've played it, trust me, you want to be. Each version plays fluidly so it really doesn't feel like an Android MMO, unless you're playing it on Android.

Introduction to Albion Online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJg2-P3ESjI

September 15th update video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymRz-iKZpfE

Cross platform demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4LcwqzoEw

What happens when you die? This game is full loot. Don't worry though, people are finding a happy medium between cost to performance as they always have. Also your character's destiny board progression.

Destiny board? This thing is your character's progression and the progression is permanent. If you were to die with your most valuable gear, it might take you a while to get it back but it's really not that bad.

How does the class system work? There are no classes. It's Morrowind-style leveling. You get better as you do something more and more so potentially you could be perfect at everything. You basically complete objectives to progress in your destiny board.

How do skills work?You bind your skills to the weapons and armor you craft. There is a lot of customization here.

How do player owned structures work? Player owned structures can't be placed just anywhere but the majority of the game is constructed by the players. Players run the blacksmiths, players own the castles and players own the houses.

This looks amazing! How do I get in?You can buy in for the low price of $49.99 over at http://albiononline.com and clicking the big button. The test will last at least a month and there will be another test in December along with a closed beta phase that you can get into starting early 2015.

Subscription or F2P? Free2Play without a cash shop. Optional "premium account" status and there's purchasable currency which could be used to pay your property taxes. Not pay2win but pay to not be a little annoyed... Everything I've played in the previous two tests, it really is achievable to play the game without premium or the in game currency as long as you're playing and you'll definitely want to.

When does the game release? Early 2015

But what if I prefer Star Wars Galaxies to Ultima Online? Go play The Repopulation. I'll make a thread for that too.

Does Albion Online have a Goon guild? Not currently, but I'll make one during the next testing phase once there's an interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

So I have some random UO type questions since you brought it up as an influence of this game. Not sure if you can answer any of them.

Are there interesting skills like stealing, hiding, herding, animal taming, etc?
It sounds like there is no skill cap. True?
Will I spend my time macroing a character before going out into the world?
I understand you can't build everywhere but what prevents the urban sprawl of UO?
It sounds like items are important. Is it going to end up being an item hunt or can I still be competitive with normal weapons like UO?
What's the role of crafters? Will they make the best stuff like SWG or will they make regular stuff like UO?

I'll say I am cautiously optimistic. It looks really polished already. But until there are a ton of players to expose the shortcomings, everything always seems great.

As for the urban sprawl problem, villages and cities will always be extremely active but the PVP areas and "guild villages" are not safe. Since it is quite possible to build anywhere you want as long as it's within the confines of a lot or a guild village, there's a bit of a risk factor and I've seen places there one week and gone the next. I think the sieging systems will keep remote areas fairly isolated and to anyone who attempts to change that will be punished greatly.

Once you max out your destiny board, I don't see how you'd be able to progress further. I may be wrong but I believe the developers have spoken about ways for players to improve their characters through improved gear, which may seem a bit overpowered but remember it is full loot and it's very dangerous to be walking around with a +10 greatsword of death

Stealing isn't in since it is full loot already, hiding isn't in (yet, they're working on some interesting stealth mechanics),

This is a "you are what you wear" sort of game but a tier 2 player can still beat a tier 4 character given that they know what they're doing. The destiny board progression will definitely help but you won't be spending hours before you start doing sandbox things. I mean if you're going to PVP and remain competitive, there is a much higher risk that you'll lose everything and you will have to invest your time into your gear again if you don't have backups or the coin to purchase stuff but it isn't as tedious as it sounds.

It's definitely a game where you can become known for your wares and sell them but they're still making normal items from what I understand, it isn't like Star Wars Galaxies in that way to my knowledge but there's always a constant demand for customization since the runes play a major role in the gear being worn so there's always transactions taking place. In my experience, there's a constant need for items and gear so the economy is extremely active. I'm not completely knowledgable about the crafting and the developers aren't quite sure either, they're always making improvements and I think it is quite possible that we might see a Star Wars Galaxies-like crafting overhaul in the future since they're always referencing it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

inkmoth posted:

So, how does the founder's system actually work - it looks like each test lasts for a month or so. Do they plan on shutting the server down between them? Or am I just totally reading this wrong.

Tests last a month up to 6 weeks and they close/wipe. However, the game is coming out really soon so it isn't that bad.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

So I read up a little more in the forums, which surprisingly have a lot of useful info.

Housing: Players basically buy a plot of land, then build a building. I noticed they mention customizing the border to your estate using walls and fences. They you decide who else can build in your estate. So it sounds like the size of one estate is larger than the building itself; it includes a bit of land around it. Housing is also limited to safe areas and player cities. This seems like it would limit the sprawl by preventing every character from plopping down a hundred cheap houses in every available piece of land. However, it also might be hard for a noob to get established after the first week of release. I do like being able to respawn from your home.

I'm trying to understand the destiny board thing. Is it basically like the initial box is for novice swordsman. Then it branches into axes, one handed, two-handed, and something else? It looks like there are nine overall combat paths. Is this like magic, swords, shields, bows? Can you elaborate on this?

Also, I see fame. How does that play into things? Is there any sort of red/blue/grey flagging system? Can I become an old school dread lord like in UO?

Fame is essentially your experience bar for certain actions. As for the trees, there's crafting, resource gathering, combat and the character overall. Each of these items have their own objectives in order to unlock the destiny board piece and once you have acquired that piece of the board, you will get a bonus relevant to that particular skill and you will also unlock the next piece.

They don't allow me to see the bonuses until I've upgraded but the ones that I have now and I can see, they're things like 5% damage increase with *insert weapon type* and the ability to craft improved versions of an item. Even after death, your character will retain these traits and they'll certainly come in handy when you combine them all together.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Glad to see people are enjoying the game. Hope I haven't disappointed anyone by calling it the true successor to Ultima Online 2 but from what I've been hearing, by the time the game launches, it will have a lot of similar mechanics.

badr posted:

aside from the graphical aesthetics how is this game different than archeage? can you own ships? castles, farms?

In general, the format of the game is entirely different. ArcheAge is a themepark with some sandbox elements but Albion is full on sandbox. No "you are the chosen one" storylines, better and more meaningful character progression, focus on community interaction rather than developer made content.

The concept of a sandbox MMO is really difficult to explain to someone who hasn't played a proper sandbox MMO like Ultima Online/Star Wars Galaxies/EVE. The main difference is, the players are the content in general. That's the best way to describe it, there's plenty of videos on YouTube and people are streaming regularly. 10 minutes of a decent stream and you'll notice the difference.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eonwe posted:

So what are the endgame sort of goals in this game? I'm all about PvP, but just wondering what other things are in the game.

It is whatever you make it. With a proper community, I'm sure it will thrive just as UO and SWG did at "endgame".

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eonwe posted:

last alpha they were 24/7

Last two have been 24/7 for about 2-3 weeks. I'm expecting an October launch.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

TheFace posted:

drat it... I couldn't take it anymore. I'm signed up and fully prepared to be disappointed by yet another sandbox MMO

Go into it without nostalgia goggles on and I guarantee you'll really enjoy this one.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Nurel posted:

goons saying that this game is fun are confusing me

i'm still not there, it still looks like league of legends gameplay-wise

That's part of the appeal, the game is extremely accessible and easy to control/navigate but the mechanics remain extremely in depth.

A lot of people are turned off by the whole idea of "being able to play on the go". If the control scheme works, why not? It's not some mobile MMO garbage. It's a MMO that happens to be playable on mobile in addition to desktops.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Shodai posted:

There's a lot of promising aspects to this game, but saying the mechanics are in-depth is laughable as far as the last iteration of the game goes.

Well I mean it's more in depth than you'd expect from some MMO that's playable on tablets and smartphones you know? Based on their recent devlogs, they're developing mechanics that mesh well with other mechanics to remove some of the flaws that I expected in the live version too.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just go under LLJK or tenbux or something. Don't even mention the word goon because everyone will collectively gently caress us in the beginning.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

forge posted:

I decided to pick this up since the tree of life game looks like a knock off of this. Something has to fill the horrible that was salem.

I'm playing Tree of Life too and it's great. If you want something to play while you wait for this and The Repopulation, get Tree of Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Try not to turn people off to the game, it's hard enough launching a sandbox that people want to play without pubbies being corpse camped lol

• Locked thread