Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
So I have some random UO type questions since you brought it up as an influence of this game. Not sure if you can answer any of them.

Are there interesting skills like stealing, hiding, herding, animal taming, etc?
It sounds like there is no skill cap. True?
Will I spend my time macroing a character before going out into the world?
I understand you can't build everywhere but what prevents the urban sprawl of UO?
It sounds like items are important. Is it going to end up being an item hunt or can I still be competitive with normal weapons like UO?
What's the role of crafters? Will they make the best stuff like SWG or will they make regular stuff like UO?

I'll say I am cautiously optimistic. It looks really polished already. But until there are a ton of players to expose the shortcomings, everything always seems great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

So I read up a little more in the forums, which surprisingly have a lot of useful info.

Housing: Players basically buy a plot of land, then build a building. I noticed they mention customizing the border to your estate using walls and fences. They you decide who else can build in your estate. So it sounds like the size of one estate is larger than the building itself; it includes a bit of land around it. Housing is also limited to safe areas and player cities. This seems like it would limit the sprawl by preventing every character from plopping down a hundred cheap houses in every available piece of land. However, it also might be hard for a noob to get established after the first week of release. I do like being able to respawn from your home.

I'm trying to understand the destiny board thing. Is it basically like the initial box is for novice swordsman. Then it branches into axes, one handed, two-handed, and something else? It looks like there are nine overall combat paths. Is this like magic, swords, shields, bows? Can you elaborate on this?

Also, I see fame. How does that play into things? Is there any sort of red/blue/grey flagging system? Can I become an old school dread lord like in UO?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

How big does the world feel? Just from screenshots, it looks really small for some reason. Also, what's the general flow of things. Is it like Warcraft where you basically go from one static mob spot to the next along a track or can you wander around and end up in the middle of nowhere?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Shodai posted:

Great info

Thanks for this. I'm probably going to fold and buy the drat game.

I still have a million questions of course. I'll focus on pvp and skills. The destiny thing seems more like Eve's system where going along one branch just gives certain skills along that branch more effectiveness, rather than brand new skills. Correct? Also, since everyone can learn everything, how's the speed of "leveling"? Do you max out your character pretty quick? Is it diminishing returns the further along a branch you go?

Now when it comes to pvp, is the playing field pretty even? I mean, do I need to be maxxed out or use super powerful weapons in order to compete? Also, I asked this earlier but I didn't see a response and can't find anything about it. Is there a flagging system? If I attack someone in the yellow zones, can others who were observers now attack me without penalty? Is there an equivalent to dread lord status ie no town access, kill on sight? How are player "levels" identified? Can I tell if someone might be a bad rear end or a noob when sizing up an opponent?

This is unrelated but one of your paragraphs intrigued me. You mention that auction houses and storage are local. I love that idea. I'm glad its being used and hope it stays. I think it creates a sense of local community and trade. Plus I would think it would make for interesting encounters if someone decided they wanted to make a long journey to another town to sell some goods. Is that what oxen are for? Does this create a bandit/highwayman vs mercenary protection system in the game?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

I broke down and bought this a couple days ago. I am enjoying things right now but I am going to temper the UO comparisons a bit. This is just my opinion from the noob areas of the game.

For reference, I loved UO not because of the open world pvp alone but the wide variety of things to do and characters to create. Every game since has basically tried to limit what players could do or where they could go.

This game does have some of the open world pvp but its more like EVE or WOW as there are different levels of pvp based on the zone you are in rather than just a yes/no switch when you leave town. I haven't really explored these areas yet so I'm not sure if this will be the majority of higher level play or not. I assume these are where the better materials are so it should force play there. The world also has a lot of annoying barriers to travel. Lot of rocks and cliffs and rivers everywhere, forcing you along certain routes to some degree.

The biggest hurdle is just a lack of variety. I am assuming this is because its an alpha but I think there needs to be a lot of improvement here to make a lasting and immersive game. Right now, it consists of gathering materials to make your own weapons/armor/tools to gather more materials to make your next level weapons/armor/tools. The items basically consist of plate, leather, or cloth(warrior, ranger, or mage). Maybe there's more at higher tiers? I dunno. There is nothing else yet. No alchemy, tracking, hiding, taming, poisoning, cooking, etc. They've also said stealing is probably not going in due to the grief potential.

The "vendors" in towns are just crafting stations. You bring your raw materials to a "vendor" or station, and craft it. You don't buy anything unless you get it from players at the marketplace. Marketplaces are local, like EVE, I think.

Every weapon and armor also comes with its own spells, which I am not sold on yet. So you build a broadsword. During the creation process, you can pick from several spells. So maybe you add a damage modifier and a bleed. A shield may have a stun and a reflect. Also, with the high decay rate of items, my character has much higher level crafting skills than fighting skills just because I need to constantly gather stuff. This is apparently being looked at so people are not forced to be crafters and also stimulate the economy for those that want to be crafters.

Just so this isn't a downer post, there are things I like. It looks pretty. Wish it was less cartoony but that's a minor quibble. Its also remarkably stable and mostly lag free. Nothing appears broken. It feels like a complete game already, for what's available to do. If they just copied/pasted UO's list of skills, I'd be in love.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

I'm Vitricus in-game.

So far I have just played solo pve. I've gotten to tier 3 gear and tried mage, fighter, and ranger. At this low level, fighter seems the obvious winner for grinding mobs. Is there any reason to wear anything besides plate for any character? Because at the low tiers, the armor spells are mostly the same, with some small differences. I can't seem to kite mobs at all or even fire my ranged weapons on the move. So basically, everything runs up to me and we duke it out. That's where plate wins. Do the differences in armor show up at some point?

Also, regarding horses, they seem to be best just for moving around. Do you guys in pvp zones keep your horses or ride them? Because it seems pointless due to the cooldown any time you switch anything. I would think it'd be best to always be ready for a fight, no horse, and weapons equipped.

Final question. I asked this on the forum but no one answered. Is there any way to tell the silver cost at a particular vendor without going to all of them? I thought the map would help but it doesn't seem to give me that info. I see something about using the station costs 2 silver, for example, but that doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Ruggan posted:

Honestly I don't see what's wrong with that. There's nothing that stops you from playing as hostile, and it's only in the soft pvp zones. I can't say I love it but it could work and it doesn't change much about the game.

I think most of the changes sound great, and they seem pretty committed to keeping an open pvp environment. They're just trying to make the game more newbie friendly. Works for EVE.

I don't get the flagging thing they are going for.

"People can still attack each other freely in PvP zones with the exception that friendly players cannot attack other friendly players."

That seems to me like if you are flagged as friendly, you are 100% not involved in pvp no matter what zone you are in. I didn't read all 16 pages of that thread so maybe I'm missing something. Am I reading that wrong?

• Locked thread