Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I just bought this game as a digital download. The first Theatrhythm title was one of the first games I had for 3DS, and compared to New Super Mario Bros. 2 (the other game I got with my 3DS), Theatrhythm was an incredible game. Now there is a sequel, "Curtain Call", which contains all the DLC from the first game, a new adventure mode and new game mechanics, and even more songs and characters from obscure Final Fantasy games like Mystic Quest.

I just checked out the DLC, and so far the only DLC character is Yuffie from FF7, but they are giving away two free DLC songs - "Roses of May" from FFIX and "Battle 2" from FFV. All the characters and songs are 99 cents a pop, which is a pretty good deal IMO.

So far, my party consists of Onion Knight (FFIII), Cecil (FFIV), Cloud (FFVII) and Terra (FFVI), although my goal is for my final party to be Locke, Edgar, Terra and Celes (all from FFVI).

Have any of you guys picked this game up? It just came out today. Maybe you're considering purchasing it? Let's chat about it and have a discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's real good. I only just started playing it but I just unlocked the quest mode and am pretty interested in that. As much as I loved the first one I did get a little bored just selecting songs and playing them, it's nice to have a more unifying mode than 'here's everything from FFXI'.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
this game is the poo poo couldn't stop playing the original

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This game is pretty good so far from the little bit of it I've been able to play since downloading it.

The free songs are a nice touch so far.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My party right now is Zidane, Galuf, Jecht, and Ramza. I'm going to stick with it until one of them turns level 99, I think, when I will cycle him out for somebody else I like. I like this game a lot :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i bought this and its the same game but with way more songs and little improvements everywhere so thats cool

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
How do I get to the dlc to get? I've never had a game this coy about me throwing money at it. I don't give a gently caress about the characters but I saw FFXIV's King Mog song was in and I must buy it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How do I get to the dlc to get? I've never had a game this coy about me throwing money at it. I don't give a gently caress about the characters but I saw FFXIV's King Mog song was in and I must buy it.

You have to unlock the dlc menu, which you probably do within the first 4 or 5 songs you play.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

EVENT: Fat Chocobo

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I told myself that the game has like 200+ songs so I didn't need DLC songs. Then I looked at the DLC menu and the Triple Triad theme and Crazy Chocobo were there.

They're fun songs to play, just fyi.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I told myself that the game has like 200+ songs so I didn't need DLC songs. Then I looked at the DLC menu and the Triple Triad theme and Crazy Chocobo were there.

They're fun songs to play, just fyi.

gently caress there goes money that could have been used to feed starving children

Oh well

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I guess this game has Online Multiplayer too, which I did not know until i unlocked versus mode just now. Thats cool, the original did not.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Quests are kinda long but you can save and quit in the middle of them, seems ok. They use the same charts as playing the songs outside of quest mode so your score and stats all save just like if you played the song normally. There's a guaranteed reward at the end of each of them instead of a few secret drop possibilities. Sharing quests with friends makes more sense to me than the dark notes. I think this is dark notes done right.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i dont think i really got what they were going for with dark notes in the first place, i dont think they knew either

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think I'm gonna get this game

RME
Feb 20, 2012

gonna get it because i have a crippling weakness for rhythm games and really what i wanted from the first one was to just have more songs in it

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I really like the FFXIV event song.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think I'm gonna get this game
i wasnt going to but i think i might. working a poo poo load of overtime this month so why not

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
The dlc songs have custom backgrounds like if you buy the FF8 triple triad music it has the card background .. Cool

RME
Feb 20, 2012

tetra master was a better card game when you figured it out (because it was obscured in the game so that you could GO ONLINE AND FIND OUT MORE AT PLAYONLINE)
but triple triad def had the better song

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I just found out that if you get someone to level 99 you can call of duty prestige them and reset them to level 1 and they get a gold star, and their maximum CP is increased.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I just found out that if you get someone to level 99 you can call of duty prestige them and reset them to level 1 and they get a gold star, and their maximum CP is increased.

omfg i just thought you reset them for no reason

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

RME posted:

tetra master was a better card game when

look at this incorrect opinion

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

RME posted:

tetra master was a better card game when you figured it out (because it was obscured in the game so that you could GO ONLINE AND FIND OUT MORE AT PLAYONLINE)
but triple triad def had the better song

your a fucken idiot

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

even if you know how to play tetra master, there are like eight hex variables involved in any one 'battle' between cards, and they are affected by rng, potentially causing huge chain of events that flips entire field of cards to one color, guaranteeing u victory or loss due to dice roll

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Awesome! posted:

i wasnt going to but i think i might.
i did, by the way and i do not regret it at all

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Awesome! posted:

i did, by the way and i do not regret it at all

i felt both of your posts entirely

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the one handed control method is really bad, maybe it would work on a real controller but its awful on a 3ds

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
stylus is really good and is my preferred control scheme

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the stylus control seems the most suited to the game to me. the buttons are probably better for hard songs but since you can just hit any button for any lane it feels kind of cheesy and boring. the stylus seems more fun and engaging.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I find the button control setup harder because I have better reaction time with stylus

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Won't buy it till they add King K. Rool.

Also no characters from Tactics Advanced? poo poo roster.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ive been using the button controls since i already did stylus in the first game

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

My only real problem with the controls is the hold-and-slide parts on FMSs. When they end with an arrow my first instinct, which I'm having a lot of trouble getting over, is to get my cursor over it then push the direction which causes me to have trouble getting critical on then. It seems like you can just stop moving the cursor entirely after you're through the intermediate points and just hit the direction without being lined up.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Bump!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
how much dlc is there

kinda tempted to get it, but I don't think I'd play it after smash comes out, and I think Xenoblade might fill a bunch of time until then. Maybe I'll wait for some sale or some kind of DLC pack to get released

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

right now there are only like 10 songs and 1 character but they say that's the first set so there will be (much) more

e: forgot to say that you get two of the dlc songs for free if you grab them within the next couple weeks

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 20, 2014

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
what is the adventure mode like? i played the demo of the first game and seemed like it might get repetitive

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Minrad posted:

how much dlc is there

kinda tempted to get it, but I don't think I'd play it after smash comes out, and I think Xenoblade might fill a bunch of time until then. Maybe I'll wait for some sale or some kind of DLC pack to get released

they're all already out in japan: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy:_Curtain_Call#Downloadable_Content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the medley ems you unlock at 10000 rhythmia is really cute

• Locked thread