Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
You should not slay goblins under any circumstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Nasgate posted:

Did the Goblin actually attack you OP? If he fled without attacking, then he broke no law. And not all evil born creatures are evil. So unless he commited a crime and you could prove him evil it would be unjust to kill him.

Though, only Bahamut's priests are pacifists. Not pallys.

He did, but fled afterwards. If the priests can be love-in hippies, I think the pallys can let off some dumb vermin from time to time, right?

Also, no dice with Moonglum. I'm not down with getting some weird from any white wolf.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I think most "Good" Alignment anything will or can have *Mercy as one of its principal traits. Well, maybe with the exception of super bullshit "Mercy leads to suffering" Zealot nonsense.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I never understood worshiping evil gods. If they're helping you, isn't that a good deed? Yeah, you're using their blessings to murder babies or whatevs, but they are performing an act of altruism by giving you power they otherwise could keep to themselves. Wouldn't it make more sense for Asmodeus to just give you the plague or turn you into a worm or something instead of helping you?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

SunAndSpring posted:

I never understood worshiping evil gods. If they're helping you, isn't that a good deed? Yeah, you're using their blessings to murder babies or whatevs, but they are performing an act of altruism by giving you power they otherwise could keep to themselves. Wouldn't it make more sense for Asmodeus to just give you the plague or turn you into a worm or something instead of helping you?

That's why Vecna was like "gently caress y'all, I'm gonna make my own goodhood. With hookers, and blackjack."

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
Uh, when the master feeds its slave, is it noble, or simply maintaining its property

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Berk Berkly posted:

Well, maybe with the exception of super bullshit "Mercy leads to suffering" Zealot nonsense.

It does though, that goblin will inevitably cycle back in and attempt and quite possibly succeed at shanking some new victim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbNwY_QFR1A&t=97s

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

SunAndSpring posted:

the evil gods are drug dealers and the drug is power

what i'm sayin homie is 420 smoke weed erry day :350:

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

is it possible for a good aligned wizard to turn into a lich?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Zombie Squared posted:

The old school Lich was a bit of a self-made monster that you had to do all kinds of hosed up stuff to achieve, and even then there was a chance you screwed up and became a Maggot Lord or just poofed.

So no, unless it was some horrible curse by a really Evil Diety with necromantic inclinations, a good aligned Wiz would likely never achieve Lichdom.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

bonzibuddy64 posted:

You should not slay goblins under any circumstance.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

It does though, that goblin will inevitably cycle back in and attempt and quite possibly succeed at shanking some new victim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbNwY_QFR1A&t=97s

Though perhaps the near death experience will cause the goblin to see the error in his ways and settle down with a nice lady goblin in the countryside.

Then again, if your gaming sessions are getting to the point that you're having these conversations instead of playing the loving game then you should probably stop playing or find another group.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This should clarify things for you, OP:

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

metricchip posted:

Though perhaps the near death experience will cause the goblin to see the error in his ways and settle down with a nice lady goblin in the countryside.

Then again, if your gaming sessions are getting to the point that you're having these conversations instead of playing the loving game then you should probably stop playing or find another group.

Nah, the game is just a vehicle to get from one interesting, morally grey, discussion invoking decision/situation to the next. Otherwise you are just going through the motions. Roll those dice, move those tabs, scribble down incremental upgrades, rinse eat sleep repeat.

Challenging the players, putting them into situations where they have to empathetically cogitate over their avatar's actions and then see the consequences is the core of the roleplay experience.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Buschmaki posted:

This should clarify things for you, OP:

hahaha, i'll never forget landerig

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Berk Berkly posted:

Roll those dice, move those tabs, scribble down incremental upgrades, rinse eat sleep repeat.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress alignment bullshit. Play smart and capture the goblin, torture him for information, let him go and emotionally abuse and blackmail him and his family into providing your party resources for the rest of his miserable life.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Contra Calculus posted:

gently caress alignment bullshit. Play smart and capture the goblin, torture him for information, let him go and emotionally abuse and blackmail him and his family into providing your party resources for the rest of his miserable life.

this.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Zombie Squared posted:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cc/20020401b

:smugwizard:

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Berk Berkly posted:

Nah, the game is just a vehicle to get from one interesting, morally grey, discussion invoking decision/situation to the next. Otherwise you are just going through the motions. Roll those dice, move those tabs, scribble down incremental upgrades, rinse eat sleep repeat.

Challenging the players, putting them into situations where they have to empathetically cogitate over their avatar's actions and then see the consequences is the core of the roleplay experience.

I agree with that until it causes the game/story/collaborative storytelling experience/etc to stop progressing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Zombie Squared posted:

apparently elves do it all the time

elves are loving cheaters, imho

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

if you dont believe in good and evil you might as well be an internet atheist, which believes himself better than religious people and thei're "morality". go back to your reddit, and mine some bitcoisn to buy a fedora for your pony.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

if you dont believe in good and evil you might as well be an internet atheist, which believes himself better than religious people and thei're "morality". go back to your reddit, and mine some bitcoisn to buy a fedora for your pony.

done

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving wikipedia

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how is dumb dnd poo poo important enough to warrant articles when my favorite hentais are not

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm about to be linked a ton of wikipedia articles for hentais now aren't i

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tollymain posted:

how is dumb dnd poo poo important enough to warrant articles when my favorite hentais are not

be the change you want to see in the world

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i'm about to be linked a ton of wikipedia articles for hentais now aren't i

do your own loving search you lazy rear end

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't want to be linked hentais

i find them weirdly offputting

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

welcome to the Lawful alignment

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Tollymain posted:

i don't want to be linked hentais

i find them weirdly offputting

Ok, I definitely won't link you this vast repository of the worlds finest wikipedia hentai.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
hey guys what alignment is batman? lol XD!!!

wow sure feels like D&D in here!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
goblins are sentient beings capable of forming complex societies featuring literature, industrial processes and most forms of spellcasting, slaying one in retreat without at least offering the opportunity to surrender would be no different than doing the same to a fleeing tribal halfling or wood elf

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

zeal posted:

goblins are sentient beings capable of forming complex societies featuring literature, industrial processes and most forms of spellcasting, slaying one in retreat without at least offering the opportunity to surrender would be no different than doing the same to a fleeing tribal halfling or wood elf

Goblins are evil sentient beings capable of forming complex evil societies featuring evil literature, evil industrial processes and most forms of evil spellcasting, slaying one in retreat without offering the opportunity to surrender would be no different than doing the same to a fleeing baatezu or tanar'ri.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

welcome to the Lawful alignment

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

QuantumNinja posted:

Like one that attacked the party and then started running away in fear when he was the only one left alive.

Relevant to winning an argument with my DM.

friend of the family

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SunAndSpring posted:

Goblins are evil sentient beings capable of forming complex evil societies featuring evil literature, evil industrial processes and most forms of evil spellcasting, slaying one in retreat without offering the opportunity to surrender would be no different than doing the same to a fleeing baatezu or tanar'ri.

yes agreed, baatezu and tanar'ri should be given at least a chance to surrender and repent. even baatezu were angels once

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Hoodrich posted:

friend of the family

Bahamut Says the N-Word

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would a lawful good pally of bahamut gently caress a kobold

they're dragonish, bahamut is dragonish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU