Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Rejoice, many Wasteland 2 Concern-Havers:

Chris Keenan in the new update posted:

Consequently, a focal point of the combat design team is to find the unnecessary wait times and see what we can do to reduce them. Why be forced to wait for my ranger to reach their final destination (which then unlocks the input) before I can move my next ranger in the turn order? Input queuing, where your control inputs aren't locked out while animations are playing, is one solution we are exploring that will allow the dance of combat to play out more on your time, rather than making you wait for our system to catch up.

This focus on a revamped action system also applies to the types of tactical options you will have in the game. Cover-based shooting is still going to be a component, but we want to expand your available options for problem-solving. Going back to the Precision Strike system from Wasteland 2: Director's Cut, we're looking at expanding and tweaking some of that functionality into more special attack types and abilities that will let you have more control over the combat zone.

One other aspect of combat we want to amp up is encounter design. While Wasteland 2 had a large number of critters and creatures for you to fight in addition to human enemies and synths, we saw the feedback that combat could feel a little stale, especially in some of our larger and more combat-heavy scenes. We're going to be looking at ways to engineer more varied, unique, interesting, and hand-crafted encounters in Wasteland 3 that have more variety or elements that change throughout - such as an enemy vehicle entering the fray in the middle of the battle.

Of course, after combat comes the loot. Never fear, we’ve read your feedback on that as well. In Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut, we went through our loot tables and completely redid the distribution through the game to cut down on the randomness and to have more hand-placed loot drops with unique weapons. In Wasteland 3, we’ll keep moving in that direction, with more deterministic loot drops where you’ll be finding more unique gear that will be more satisfying to either uncover, or claim from the bodies of your foes.
Just "queueing actions to reduce wait times" and "hand-detailing more encounters and loot" alone sound like they could go a long way towards fixing some of the structural issues I heard mentioned about Wasteland 2. I mean, I do truly believe there is something to be said for random loot, but I also love finding a specific awesome piece of equipment on purpose once in a while.

It is hard to argue with "more attention to encounters," though. I am not going to stick up for "here are 20 raiders to take up some time, knock yourself out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm still waiting for confirmation that Wasteland 3 won't be running the worst stat system since FATAL

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the loot system was my main gripe about the game. this is good.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Well, that's all set, then.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

October was loving rough for me, so I didn't get to contribute to the campaign like I'd considered. Any word if they're planning to do slacker backer stuff later? It's what I ended up doing with Wasteland 2.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
"We're coming for you, Fallout?"" I mean, I assume that just means "in game numbers" but it would be interesting if it meant something else. Probably nothing else... probably.

marshmallow creep posted:

October was loving rough for me, so I didn't get to contribute to the campaign like I'd considered. Any word if they're planning to do slacker backer stuff later? It's what I ended up doing with Wasteland 2.
I feel like they already said they would, or maybe it was just that you could back with PayPal and have your number counted in the total? Or I am just completely remembering wrong?

Also, hugs Marshmallow Creep. I hope your November is better. I mean, it gets you one month closer to Wasteland 3, so there is that.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

marshmallow creep posted:

We'll keep late backing open at our Crowdox page

Hope thing will look up for you soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thanks. I'll look into it when things shape up, which hopefully won't be much longer. The company I did some contract work for has promised the check gets cut next week. That should even things out.

• Locked thread