Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Loving this game so far. I'm still relatively early in the game but I had a couple questions-

1- Is it a bad idea to get weapons that are too good too quickly? I finished Ag Center and have been exploring for a while now, and have 3 $500 weapons in my party so far that makes most combat fairly simple, though at times challenging. I did run up against two encounters that were impossible (high level raiders and higher level robots) but I'm worried if I buy the best gear too early it'll trivialize the game.

2- Is there any way to boost XP for a single party member? My close combat dude with just bladed/smg/hard rear end/brute force is about 500xp behind most of my party (I realized the importance of charisma a bit late) and its slightly problematic as most of my party has disparnumerophobia. Any way to get his XP up closer to the rest of the party? Give him 1 field medic and have him heal everyone between battles?

1. Get the best gear that you can when you can. The only consideration would be if the random encounters aren't dropping a new ammo type yet, maybe hold off on the upgrade if you cant top afford to buy ammo refills. Otherwise, even with the combat running impressively fast despite being turn-based (good job devs), the less damage you do, the more time you spend in combat. The more combats you skip with outdoorsman or whatever the survival skill is called, the less skilled and equipped your whole team is, unfortunately. So the best way to speed up random encounters is to make your attacks hit and hit as hard as they can.

2. Having one guy behind a little bit isn't a deal-breaker. You can give him a +Cha trinket and spend his every tenth levels stat point on charisma or whatever, but unless you did that along with giving him another common xp generator skill or two in addition it field medic, it won't really make that much of a difference unless you're using 10 of the crappy med kits after every fight. Personally, I'd just live with it, give him stat ups for combat stuff and work on making him a focused badass. If you limit his skills and role, being a couple levels behind won't matter when he's the first one to max out a weapon skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I wouldn't say combat initiative is linear, they've got some stupid equation hundreds of lines long for the drat thing. I'd say at twice the CI you'd probably get 3 turns to every 2 of theirs, it's just that with how lethal combat is that most practically works out to 2:1 in most situations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The big difference here with skills is that you have access to a large team, like in most tabletop roleplaying games. The skill load is meant to be distributed in a manner more closely resembling reality.

Picking a lock, cracking a safe, disarming an alarm and bypassing security software all do the same thing in basic function, yes; they give a player access to something they would not have otherwise. In a party based game going for verisimilitude, none of those activities have much real world overlap. In a primarily single player game, that form of redundancy is often just frustrating to a player and handicaps them by encouraging weak, unfocused builds.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

nerdz posted:

What actually makes me mad about the skill bloat is that you have to compromise between having chars that can unlock containers and chars that can hit something with more than a 50% chance.

Just to try my luck again I created a party of full on combat dudes and won't put a single point on any of the unlocking or speech skills. I'm actually not missing the utility skills at all and finishing most battles in the first round. I noticed that I don't really miss the locked containers that much, Especially since they only have bland random equipment that's almost always under your level. Once you know how to make your money and which items you need, you can just go back to the HQ, buy the OP weapons and all the ammo you can afford.

I'm also sad at how melee is useless. They really got it right in Shadowrun. Melee chars had crazy mobility, shared AP between attacks/movement and hitting enemies with melee disabled their cover for the entire party. It was very useful to have at least one melee party member, sometimes two.

I feel like the biggest overall problem with wasteland 2 is that it tried to do a whole lot of everything: too much skills, ridiculously long sections, too much steps for every quest. I will give it one last try once I'm done with all current games, but that's it.

Yeah, the actual pro strat is to make your core team pure combat from the start and only add mild utility like leadership as needed. You can do a lot worse than giving everyone rank 4 in a gun and spending the other two skill points on surgeon or medic. Or just have one surgeon to start and everyone else saves their two spare skill points for Rank 5 in their weapon at level 2. Angela can actually crutch you through a good chunk of the early game, though if you're quick about picking up party members, you might not even notice that you were missing non-combat skills for the first few levels as you 360 no scope your way through every early fight.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm still going to give my Robert Cop run my full attention once I beat the game once. With stacking as many armor bonuses from traits as possible, damage from early game enemies like flies has actually been reduced to zero on my tank.

To try out my advice above though, I put together a wrecking crew that had two weapon skills at 6 by level 2 (two ascetics) and I've only been hit in combat twice, once by the loving toad and once by friendly fire on an 86% shot. I'm almost done with Highpool.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

I feel like making 4 combat characters would practically trivialize the game. In my game I had two jacked up fighters and two characters who were almost entirely useless in combat (one with 10 charisma, one with 10 intelligence), and it didn't really matter because the two fighters with high CI would smash half of the enemy force before they even got a turn.

Regardless of the genre or origin, it's always extremely hard to balance a stat that gives you more turns in a turn-based game.

This is true. I do tabletop rpg rules as a sort of hobby and anything that has an effect on action economy is incredibly hard to balance.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Krinkle posted:

I thought speed was how quickly your turn order came, or how quickly it came again. If you load up on speed can you move two squares per action point?

2.8 at 10 speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

crashdome posted:

Great. And I just sold my cache of 500 rounds of .38 for few measly rounds of 7.62.

I don't mind certain guns outclassing others but yeah, linearity of weapons in games is my big pet-peeve. It'd be like if cars used in rural Bumfuck, AnyState only reached 25mph but out in New York they sold cars that traveled at 2500mph. That's not how things work.

That's how things work in most video games though, especially RPGs. It's just really jarring when applied to real world equipment you might have some familiarity with.

• Locked thread