Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just got this from a friendly goon. A couple of questions.

1. Is there a limit on how many NPCs you can have join the party?

2. Apparently those NPC's that require a Charisma check take into the total charisma of everyone in the party, including other non-core party members. Is there a properly spergy guide of some sort along the lines of "start with Ace, recruit those NPCs that don't require Charisma checks, now you can get NPC X, and with that added to your total charisma value you can get NPC Y and so forth"?

Oh and "once you've recruited all possible NPC companions, you don't need any of the core-party to have the following skills".

3. Do you only get additional attribute points every ten levels, or can you get some via perks / special items / whatever?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are there any mods that makes the game... less butt ugly?

For that matter, any recommended mods in general?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Just out of interest - If I managed to justify my civilian killing to ranger HQ without getting a "next time" warning, does that mean I'm not on probation and can go on to keep slaughtering settlements as long as I can come up with plausible excuses?

As I go through one of the starting places getting attacked, I keep getting radio messages from the other. If I run off before getting the final message, does that mean I can go and save the other place, and the initial spot gets destroyed instead?

Edit - took me a bit of trouble, so anyone who doesn't feel like messing around with editing - stick this file into <steamapps>\common\Wasteland 2\Build\WL2_Data (after backing up sharedassets0.assets) to skip the intro logos.
http://depositfiles.com/files/3x2hkpqfo

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 5, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

fennesz posted:

It's my understanding that you can only save one of them.
Yeah, I got that much. It just seems as though you might have an opportunity to change your mind (and possibly check out limited parts of both places before one is destroyed).

Any use for the "Synth parts" you get out of robots by using Computer Science? Mercaptain won't take them.

Ditto the Ragged Overalls you get out of Harry's grave in AG Center.

I assume the Ranger Citadel museum keeper calls you "children" if you save Highpool? Because the dialog references him calling you children, except... he doesn't?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dragged Vax back to the Ranger Citadel (and keeping him alive was pretty hard without a Mechanical Repair girl... until I figured out I could just NOT fight the Slicer bots :facepalm: ) only for absolutely no one to react in any way. Huh.

Edit - Throwing a grenade moves your primary weapon into the secondary slot. Because that makes sense and/or is in any way helpful.

Editx2: Someone in a different forum mentioned going up several levels thanks to the recruit bonus at the citadel. Quite the change to the current "100$ or 50xp".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 5, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You have 4 real-life hours to finish the main AG center quest before before the transformation starts to seriously affect you. It's not a huge issue.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mad Monk: Blah blah blah, "All have taken the Mark of the Titan".

Ranger: "What's a Mark of the Titan?"

Mad Monk: "What?"

Edit - So you've got a map for the huge game areas... but you can't focus on any area from the map. Brilliant.

Editx2: I hit the "sell all junk" button (which is a nice concession to modern design). The trader doesn't have enough to buy it all, so I try to put some of the junk back in my inventory... except I can't. I can't transfer the junk into the inventory of the character interacting with the merchant - each piece of junk has to go back into the inventory of the person it came from (or the shared party inventory). Jesus gently caress. This game was programmed by retards and playtested by imbeciles.

In other (other) obvious poo poo that no one apparently thought of - right clicking on a item while selling things doesn't add it to the items you're selling - you have to click and drag each item one at a time.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 6, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How do I talk to the Diamondback Militia? The only seemingly possible encounter is their "HQ" behind a false wall, but if I try to access it, I either trigger the alarm and the all go hostile (I don't have a monk with me) or get a top difficulty code panel that I'm pretty sure no one gave me.

fennesz posted:

Two things. You can sell/buy anything by holding control and clicking. You don't need to double click or drag, just control and click. Second, when you "unsell" something and control click it, the item will go back into the character's inventory that you sold it from. So if two people have HK33's they're selling and you decide you want them back, they go back into the same inventories if you control click them.

I actually really love the inventory system in this game, it's well designed.
Does the game tell you that at any point?

I will have to disagree.

Ddraig posted:

You just have to know what questions to ask, I guess.
And literally "click on a code word the guy just gave you" is apparently not an appropriate question.

Hauki posted:

I had a 90something% skill check critically fail, was already annoyed at failing easy skill checks repeatedly and sloooowly watching the skill icon animate over and over again, so I ended up savescumming it because I didn't want to come back later after leveling again.
Yeah. I assume it's there to prevent savescumming (or out of sheer rank stupidity, which I'm not ruling out with this game) but the in-combat speed of skill use would have been much more appropriate/less stupidly annoying.

AxeManiac posted:

Enemies sometimes attack them, but they don't put them on priority. You can keep them alive pretty well, except around things with a damage radius. The bonus only applies to the person who whispered them.

I think the first time you're likely to have a bunch (or more than one) animal follower is around the prison area - at which point you're having a bunch of grenade throwing raiders / area damage robots coming at you. Since animal followers only have 1 hp, I never kept them past any serious fight.

At least they're better than NPC followers (not the ones that join your party) insofar as they don't rush to engage an off-screen enemy in meelee combat. That one robot you get from Demonta is downright suicidal.

On that note, the robot turrets can accurately shoot you not just from off-screen, but from several screens worth of running away. Which would be fine tolerably dumb if they didn't focus on NPCs.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 7, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Am I missing some tricks about melee, or is the miner NPC (the T guy you get from clearing the honey badger mine) straight up terrible at everything?

Oh, and Lexicanum looks straight up more useful from the get-go, but is there anything I can do to improve his combat abilities?

Platystemon posted:

Use a key you could have received earlier in the canyon or have very high perception (either eight or nine required; I forget which).

I think you can also just shoot them a for a while and they’ll invite you in when they’re low on health, but I haven’t had to do that.
That opens the fridge to reveal a code panel - and I don't recall getting the code. Getting the code wrong doesn't even trigger the alarm, so that actually eliminates the other possibility you brought up.

Editx2: I just got back to the prison and Jobe (the guy who poisoned the dogs) is nowhere to be found, possibly because I killed everyone else on the farm the last time I was here. Any console commands to spawn him or something? (Oh, he's on the way there. If there was a time for an automatic "hey rangers" conversation trigger... but as we established, this game is programmed by retards)

Am I seriously going to have to use the cure on each and every dog, going through the longass animation each and every time?

I am. I absolutely am. What. The. poo poo.

Oh hey - curing the dogs and signing a treaty with the scorpion leader THEN killing them all forces you to give Jobe the "it's complicated" dialog option, only for him to rush into the prison and die... to absolutely nothing. See above re: playtesting and programming. (The game totally does not recognize all those guys are dead in any way)

Editxwhatever who cares vvvv

You want to aim for 10 action points (if I can get 14, I'll be extremely happy). That's 2 sniper rifle / assault rifle shots per round. 9 gives you a crouch and a headshot / burst. But generally speaking more action points = more better.

I really can't recommend going with 4 int (well, maybe on just one person). Skill points are so goddamn important in the starting stages.

If you're having a lot of trouble, with the starting parts, here's my recommendation. Head a bit past Highpool, down and to the right. You'll be hemmed in by radioactivity, and at the very lowest and right most non-radioactive corner (a bit below the prison) you'll find an abandoned freeway. It has two robots encounters that you don't want to mess with, but if you follow the railroad tracks you'll avoid the fights and come to a container. Inside is a robot follower (not companion or NPC) you can awaken with Computers. He's hella overpowered for early game sections, and you can get him without fighting anyone or taking a long time and sacrificing both starting areas. Get Mechanical Repair 1 on someone, and you can fix the robot as well.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 7, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

In terms of other NPCs, Pizepi is drat good, especially in the second half of the game. She starts out with really high Smart rear end, Energy Weapons, and Perception and was the #1 damage dealer of my party by the end of the game. Low INT, but since her skills start out high they're no problem to max and add an additional one. Lexicanum and Chisel are pretty good too IMO. I ended up swapping back and forth between them for a while before finally settling on Lexicanum. (I ended up regretting that choice a little bit very, very late in the game, but that was just a speedbump and spoilery to say why)
So before Lexicanum betrayed you for the robots, what did you do to make him combat effective?

GlyphGryph posted:

I started replaying, with the mods that make the game significantly more fun, but then I found I could no longer go back to the chore of playing without them, and since they never introduced any sort of mod support, the mods needed to be completely rebuilt after every bugfix release which... took forever to happen, when it happened at all.

I asked about mods earlier to no avail. What's good?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

The Ag Center is a painful slog when you have to clear out all those drat poison plants and panic when the mutant bomb plant guys come running towards you to explode into crazy damage.

The best mods are the ones that reduce cool down on skills and speeds up the tedious stuff about game play. It really makes the game a million times better. It also tweaks the failure rates to make them less stupid and painful. It just saves times and eliminates save scumming.
So... which ones specifically would you recommend?

Massacred the Ranger Citadel before the flight to California. Fun, but no reaction from anyone. Wandered the wasteland for a bit, came back to the citadel... no Delta Team, no special game over screen, nothing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Aren't you supposed to have a mutant NPC join you once you're done with Darwin village? I saved the place and promised not to tell, but killed a number of mutants along the way - should that matter?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So she never shows up if you don't have the charisma? (The other guy with the same requirement showed up but didn't join) Would she show up if I went back with a more charismatic party?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Taear posted:

Thankfully you can type the response you need at the end of the quest line no matter what you've done - I think the only example of being able to type it in being useful!

Well?

Babby Formed posted:

I play both the new and old X-Com's regularly and love the hell out of Jagged Alliance 1.13. My problem with Wasteland 2's combat isn't that it's turn based; it's that it's really simple, on the level of Shadowrun Returns, but it takes about as long to get through a random encounter in WL2 as it does to get through a boss area in Shadowrun. It takes forever to do really simple encounters and is just incredibly boring to go through over and over.

This.

As to combat and xp levels - I think I've done every single sidequest in Arizona, more or less, and my rangers were in the mid-20's by the time they flew to California. I only fought a single random encounter throughout.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 11, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How does Ambush work, anyways? Occasionally you'll have enemies charging well into its range with no reaction, or rush into the past the ranges of several staggered ambushes, only to stop at the end and trigger them all at once. Is it a matter of where you're facing, or what?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Did everyone here play Wasteland 1 and have fond memories of it (and bought the second game looking for a true sequel rather than a generic old-school RPG)? I was under the assumption that is was nowhere near as popular / influential / good as the Fallout series?

I wonder how much the writing impact changes if you recognize each and every bit of background as a callback to the first game? Until browsing through some wikis, I just thought the game had a very intricate backstory and setting as such.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

When you first arrive in California, your mandatory quest is to fight 5 groups of 4 dogs. You also have to patch 5 holes in the fence. That's where I stopped playing for a while.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

California is so buggy. Half the door / chests / items in the Mannerites base don't have a description, ambient conversations keep restarting at the halfway point.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The religious fanatics are massacring people at a brothel. The murders are grizzly and disgusting. What kind of sick fuc- by the way, the prostitutes are all really hot and really into boning.

In other news, the only female antagonist in the entire game so far is a gold-digging bimbo that gets executed by her betrayed husband before the fight even starts.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 14, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

For some reason Rose won't move in combat. She's not overburdened - she runs fine on the regular map - she's not crouching, I don't get any messages... nada. It's not a particular map or a particular weapon either. What's up?

Correction - she CAN move, but moving a single square takes 10 AP. ???

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 15, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

AG3 posted:

Are you using a movement reducing armor and/or backpack?
She has a combat speed reducing power armor on, and a military backpack trinket, but everyone else are wearing the same armor.

LotsBread posted:

I'm replaying the game after the finishing it in past September. Is CA still buggy or can I walk around now without fearing weird shifting shadows or reviving enemies?
Next to nothing has descriptions (even generic descriptions for generic stuff), the ambient conversations are constantly restarting, people have a bit more trouble going through doors than they have in Arizona (though alt+tab stops them from running in circles forever, which is annoying because I can't Fraps it). But nothing major.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rodia has a really good quest collection that's capped off with "go to a place, get a microscope. Run across the town to a well, and click and item on it. Run back to me, run back to the well, click another item on it".

Going to disarm the red sensor line traps generally results in blundering right into them, regardless of how you're positioned.

Even 10 in Perception isn't enough to spot a bunch of traps in Hollywood / similar skills don't pass skill checks in the same area. I wonder how less optimized parties fare?

Hah - the art direction is so great doors that you can enter literally need glowing beams of light bursting out of them for anyone to know.

"Misunderstanding" is a reply by the rangers going "there was no misunderstanding, we're done here". "Same" apparently indicates "but that isn't the same at all". Keywords stop indicating your response, is what I'm trying to say here.

The brothel comedy sequence (fade to black, boogie music, goat baaaaas) is probably the first time the game made me laugh. Faint praise, come to think of it. There's a bunch of "wacky" spilled all over the writing, but very little actual humor.

"I already wiped out Rodia". Except I just killed the Leather Jerks, which... is apparently enough? Bug, or feature?

Weapon costs are a terrible indication of how good the weapon is (and yes, I am used to RPG's that are pretty good about that sort of thing). Gamma Blaster is still a mainstay in Hollywood, despite costing 39$.

Shame you can't actually buy weapon mods. Annoying.The entire party waving around weapons with laser pointers is kinda funny.

Yay, a fullscale sewer dungeon, with nothing but skill checks and combat encounters. What fun.

So the "gauntlet" which is lovingly described as three-staged by the guardian... mutants, monsters, the works... is one minefield with a bunch of animals in it.

A minefield through which the NPC follower rushes facefirst to get at the very last enemy left alive, only to be eviscerated on the spot. Yay.

Multiple solutions to the big Children of God quest. Nice. Though it kinda feels as though the climax was supposed to involve a big fight the NPC dialog still references.

Do any of the Arizona NPCs have major conversations in California? Do any of the California NPCs, for that matter? I kinda neglected to take Brother Thomas along for the Holywood missions, which was probably stupid of me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How do I get the "Kill the Robbninsons leader" quest once I've supported the Mannerite leader? Is it not triggering because I have more than enough cat litter bags?

Ditto the giant scorpion quest. (Edit - got it just after writing this post. Disappointing.)

KPC_Mammon posted:

I kickstarted this game and really want to like it, but the character creation system is too byzantine for me.

Are there any goon recommended mods that make stat allocation balanced or meaningful and skills less overwhelmingly punitive?

Things like Intelligence only having an effect at certain levels or multiple skills for opening objects (some more useful than others, guess which one with no prior knowledge!) really sticks in my craw.

I also wouldn't mind a flattening of weapon tiers / enemies.
Here's the big character creation spiel. Follow it, and you'll get along fine without mods (at least long enough to figure out the system):

* You really want 8/10 intelligence on all your characters. Skill points are hella important (since half the pre-gens don't even have 4 int, they're kinda terrible). The breaking points for new skill points per level is 4/8/10 Int (just for your information when leveling up NPC's)

* A different weapon skill for each character. Assault rifles, shotguns, snipers, and one person who splits their points between SMGs and energy weapons, since those have separate specialized uses. Handguns kinda suck throughout.

* One person with high Charisma and the Leadership skill. (Doesn't have to be the first person you create - no one in your team is "the leader"). This could be the only character with only 4 Int if you're short on points. Leadership stops additional NPC followers from following their own stupid AI initiative ("going rogue") and boosts your entire teams accuracy. Very useful in the beginning levels.

* Each character should specialize in 3-5 skills (including the weapon skills). The only overlap should be in Field Medic / Surgeon - everyone can use a point or two in those just to be able to heal each other (but that's not very urgent)

* Perception (which spots traps) and Demolitions (which disarms them) go on the same person.

* Animal Whisperer dispatches or charms animal enemies. Computers does the same for robots.

* Aim to have 12 CI (combat initiative) on all your rangers. Having them all go in combat before the enemy does is very useful.

* Ranger Citadel has a high level NPC who is happy to join your team right off the bat.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 16, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

fennesz posted:

Have you spoken to the prisoner and then found him? His wife will spill a bunch of pertinent information about Mr. Manner and Tori Robbinson that forces to to choose sides.
Mr Manners actually wouldn't send me to kill Toni once she ran off. I guess I had to leave the location and come back for that quest to trigger.

The voice actor reads this in the most perfect "I have absolutely no idea what this little aside means, but I'm just reading what's in front of me" voice

Thoughts on the final battle:

Oh man, not Rose (now known as GenericFemale in the combat messages)

I like the idea of all the various factions you've helped during the game showing up to help you out, but the AI is so goddamn braindead.

Here's a very basic AI routine that wouldn't be infuriating:

Stick to cover. Don't advance farther than the farthest party member - certainly don't go chasing off people who are screens and screens away (this also means you advance along with the party). Concentrate you fire on the closest enemy. Certainly (certainly) don't waste five turns running back and forth between arbitrary parts of the screen. Is that so hard? Is "rush face first into bullets and waste time doing jackshit" that much easier to program?

SHUT THE gently caress UP VARGAS. I think I conclusively established this game was programmed by retards, but still... this is the equivalent of a unskippable cutscene, except it's not even a cutscene - just some moron droning at you outside the conversation menu so you can't skip his blathering. What complete moron thought this was a good idea?

Moments later

Ahahaha, the game still thinks the Red Scorpions are alive. Like, there's some sort of trigger in place to make sure I wasn't aided by zombies during the Citadel assault (not counting the mutants), but apparently nothing else consults that.

Though to be fair, apparently there's a different thing for every participant living / dying, which is a lot of effort I approve of. Wonder if all that's compiled somewhere? Really - if anyone has a link, let me know. Kinda seems as though every guide for this game was made back when it was in beta and end-free.

Was there a way to find Angela's ashes?

Aww, GenericFemale. That's actually fairly touching.

Kekkabah and Schotchmo actually have an ending slide for theRailway Nomads camp and another for dying in the blast - in the same sequence. Hah.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 17, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'd stick Alarm Disarm and Machine Repair into the useless slot as well. There are very few places where you have an alarm in a spot where you won't be killing everyone anyways. The Railway Nomads camp is probably the one place where an achievement and one way to solve a quest depend on that skill. Repair has next to no applications in and of itself - it's there to fix locks and safes you've jammed, which you don't want to do to begin with.

I found my 4 Int character lagging far behind everyone else in terms of skill points. If most of my party had 4 Int, I'm pretty sure I'd have had to give up on several skills for a while. Also, you can always (well, every ten levels) put up another point into speed or awareness for the extra initiative / action point, but you're not going to dump 4 points into Int.

Animal Whisperer gets the most use in the early game, and the AW trinket can actually substitute for skill investment here (and if not, 3 points will do you for the most, which is one level on a smart character)

quote:

if you make a rogue char give then both lockpicking/safecracking
Any reason for doing that? I can see trying to build a perception / demolitions / safe cracking / lockpicking / computer science character just to handle all the container stuff without switching characters, but why lockpicking and safe cracking specifically?

Edit - any other issues with that guide? Kinda want to stick it on steam as a part of my "what you want to know before you play" series.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 16, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

EricFate posted:

I keep hearing this. I look forward to them eventually releasing a fully patched GOTY edition with all DLC bundled in it for $15, so I can check it out.

You know what? I'm going to assume that you meant that seriously. Because that's the funniest possible interpretation.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edit - I'm stupid.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 17, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Martello posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm just too used to old-school RPGs, but I still prefer front-loaded over those options. I've played Oblivion and I found it boring, and part of it was that I didn't like the fact that my character wasn't already good at certain things. I like my characters to have history, and part of that is giving them skills before they "go live," so to speak. Also I think in 1) you meant "transparent" instead of "opaque." To me, the skills in Wasteland were all pretty self-explanatory during character creation. Assault Rifles...let's see, that's probably to make them more effective at ARs. Safecracking? Why, that's to open safes! I'm being a bit sarcastic, but honestly that's how I felt about it and it didn't give me any problems. I put this game down a while back, not because I don't like it, but because there were other games I'd started earlier that I needed/need to beat before I get back into WL2. But at least up until saving Highpool/investigating Ag Center and getting back to the Citadel, I really enjoyed it and my characters were very effective.
The Elder Scrolls style (which I prefer to think of as the Quest for Glory) style, when properly implemented, means you don't have to invest in preknowledge.

In Wasteland 2, for instance, if you thought that making a thief character meant emphasizing Alarms, that's a bunch of points wasted. And on the other hand, if you decided that Rose can handle all your Computer needs... well, hope your team has a bunch of spare points when you get to the end game, otherwise you better reload a save from before you went to the citadel!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Wait what?

The door to the nuke you have to open after you defeat Matthias can only (as far as I can tell) be opened by using Computers.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 17, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

That's the part you spoiler? You've been posting huge logs of endgame events for the past few days, including the final boss, his motivations, and a ton of huge plot points willy nilly, and that's the bit you spoiler?

Not... really? The only part that goes into specifics is a screenshot, which is linked in a section that specifically has the "thoughts about the final battle" headline (it's linked just to point out a typo). I guess I could have spoiled the guys name, except you should figure it out the moment you hit California proper? (While going through the oh-so thrilling "kill 4 dogs, fix a hole in the fence, listen to a radio broadcast, repeat 4 times" section)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

fennesz posted:

^ I was genuinely surprised that I didn't achieve a good outcome when I was really trying. Rail Nomads or Canyon of Titan for instance. Really refreshing to come up short when going for the "Good Option" instead of just choosing that option in a conversation and knowing it's locked in.
Titan doesn't have "good" outcome by design, but I have no idea how you could gently caress up Rail Nomads unintentionally. If you just follow the standard RPG disarm/loot/talk/kill protocols, you don't even need to pass any checks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

evilmiera posted:

I have a spoilery question, what are the results of the various choices in Angel Oracle's main quest? As in, what eventually ends up happening to the town?
On a more general note, if anyone has a compilation of all the various endings, for characters and towns both, I'd love to see it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Brother None posted:

Heavy spoiler warnings obviously, but they (the texts and requirements) are all compiled over on the wiki (that'll answer your question too evilmiera)
Thanks. Seems to be missing most of the character specific stuff, but still a good start.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Disco De Soto posted:

The last few battles put the final nail in the coffin for me. My surgeon/computer expert was ripped from my party in one of the final battles, with no option to save her, and the only way out of the map needed the computer science skill. Ugh.
I went on about my dislike of the game at length earlier in the thread, but: Matthias drops a floppy disk, which acts as a door key. I think it's a unique item, dropped form a boss, and the description mentions it can be used to open the door.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

rocketrobot posted:

Have you always been able to be the robot whisperer if you tried computer science on robots in combat?
If by that you mean "could you always use computer science to charm robots in combat, the way Animal Whisperer works on critters", the answer is yes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

So Im about to try this game again (DC version), I only played a few hours after release.

Any handy charcater creation guides/tips? I remember being quite lost on it the first time around. I dont care for min/max, I just dont want to miss important stuff or waste points in useless stats/skills.

Also, how stable it is right now? Should I wait for another patch?
On that note - which parts of my guide should be thrown out, and which can be copy-pasted as newbie advice for the DC?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Quarex posted:

Xander77 will clearly update his guide in 5...4...3...

I'm not sure why you care so much about my guides, but I will update it if / when I get around to playing the Director's Cut myself.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Got an ending slide that her body was never recovered, so she is assumed dead, and they give her a ceremonial funeral with "Angela Deth - Death Called His Daughter Back" on her headstone

Let me guess - all the other stupid dangling plot threads, useless seemingly important items like synth parts etc are still there in the final final final version of the game? Fucks sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Some questions I forgot to ask:

Does Vaxx get any reactions from people when in your party? Specifically, people in the ranger citadel?

Do you still need the leadership skill to stop people from going rogue?

Does throwing a grenade still switch your main weapon?

Are there still bunches of random items that aren't labelled as junk but have no story or gameplay purpose? (Synth parts, Harry's trousers etc)

Do you still need to heal every single one of the Red Militia dogs, one at a time?

When you arrive in California, is your first task to find five wooden boards, to patch up five holes in the fence, while fighting off five "nuke dogs" encounters?

Do all / most of the plot important NPCs have their own portraits?

Kinda of assuming I know the answer to this one - are there still half a dozen skills dedicated exclusively to "get stuff out of containers"?

Edit - can you buy weapons mods?

Is the Hollywood cult 'gauntlet' actually expanded, or does the description at least edited to match the contents?

Is the AI for the final combat at least halfway competent?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 31, 2015

• Locked thread