Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

With all due respect, Fargo one of the best game designers, Mr British?

Now to make 30 gigs of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Linking the exe through steam (beyond the default link) should be fairly trivial and solve the issue, right? Even if it's a bit inconvenient.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

First the portraits and now the overlay?

WASTEGATE 2014

Tbf, it's more of a failing/oversight of Steam.

Though the fact that the steam drm is optional at all, is really cool.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If it makes you feel any better I'm stuck in bed with pneumonia unable to properly sleep for the better part of the week because of all the congestion in my face, which would probably prevent me from getting much enjoyment out of W2 even if I had the mental wherewithal to make enough disk space for the installation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Ahahaha energy weapons are awesome against the right enemies.

How early can you get them?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's pretty good right? For a game whose production had already been funded and with so many extra copies of the game in the wild?

Don't know how good that is, but it should translate into around 25k sales.

e:Though I guess the math gets tricky if that counts the $60 beta.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just jumping in for trouble shooting, sorry if this was just asked. Is there a fix for one of the squad portraits changing into that of another?

Also is the mouse cursor supposed to move when pressing the RMB to change camera angle?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Funnypost Collabo posted:

You can edit a character's portrait in the .xml file in the save directory under /documents/my games/wasteland 2/

Check out Magnificent's post two posts above yours, but specifically what you're looking for is "portraitName" which will have a value that coincides with the filename of the custom portrait, minus any file extensions - e.g. my first character is using a custom portrait named m_015.png and his value for portraitName is m_015

However, if you're using a default portrait the names will be a little harder to find, the easiest way would be to open up a save/start a new game where the character has the correct portrait and pull their potraitName from there

Thanks, but it looks like the portrait no longer exists (they were all screenshots). I checked in the "Custom Portraits" folder - they're all there save for one (one actually has two, though not the one that's being duplicated).

However, I exported the character sheets when putting them together, so I can probably make a new screenshot portrait w/o much issue.

E:yup, it worked.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 24, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Aberforth was back following my party as soon as I entered a new map - now without the devil's eye bonus - after a gruesome death in a random encounter. Goat haunting or a bug?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sell broken weapon parts without a second thought, right?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 24, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is "weighed down" just there to let you know you're getting there or does it have its own penalties?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do you lose Angela somewhere down the road? She's been a powerhouse to the point of feeling like cheating.

I'm trying to decide whether to give my dedicated shotgunner AR or energy weapons training. With Angela I already have 2 AR squad members, but like I said I'm afraid of eventually losing her. I already have one member focusing on EWs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tippis posted:

Yes, pretty much as soon as you enter Titan's Canyon, which signals the second half of the Arizona part of the game.

that is going to be rough, thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wish characters auto-avoided stepping on revealed mines

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not sure why my surgeon lock picker with the highest charisma in my party is at least a level behind everyone else. I guess she died once or twice in a few big engagements but I don't think that affects xp gain.

Are armors worthwhile investments? I'm not really clear on how armor penetration works in this game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress, I hadn't realized you got xp for breaking down guns. I had Angela do it instead of my original weaponsmith for no particular reason.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Picked up Ralphy just as most of my team is turning 10. I guess I can check out the few toasters I still remember about?

Also surprised you can have 3 followers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Huh Katy recognizes her brother is dead after the fight w/ pitbull, but her response when you interact w/ her doesn't.

Also: don't put your two surgeons under the same line of fire.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

^little bit sad.

Another thing: is killing one of your animal followers accidentally (friendly fire) supposed to turn all your other animals on you?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Thus far, pretty much. It's a shame that fallout tactics was better at combat, too.

Much better. This doesn't even have sneaking.

The Rail Nomads feel the least like a straight forward combat dungeon w/ some locked containers along the way, so far. Hopefully there's more of that down the road.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've had no issue w/ egregious jamming myself

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

As many (many) faults as the game has, I'm not going to deny it's pulled me in good.

Turns out crpgs make for good games, even the mediocre ones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm hoping for a complete reworking of the attribute and skill system when modding gets started. Of course a lot of the problems are inherent to the design of the game. You can't easily mod away the fact that half of the non combat skills are just lock picking w/ a fancy label 90% of the time.

Chunnel was saying it's a questionable callback to 90s design, but this is miles behind any classic RPG of that era I can think of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Verviticus posted:

rockets are skill-independent, along with grenades.

I don't get this decision. The combat skills are incredibly granulated, but for some reason these come free. Rocket launchers as HW would at least give a little bit more incentive to try them out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Verviticus posted:

rocket launchers are actually kinda poo poo because they dont have good armor pen except the RPG so eventually a 150 damage rocket will do like 60 or whatever. grenades are literally better than most of the rockets by california

all the more reason to dump them with heavy weapons...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Verviticus posted:

the ai wasting move points to run back and forth between two dudes to hit them once with a machete is another amazingly dumb ai thing. why do you need to hit everyone once? just hit the dude you want to hit, for fuckssake

I assumed that a was a difficulty setting thing (I'm playing seasoned). The mysterious stranger does the same thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

Don't bother bringing Sunbrellas to California, they quietly ditched the water mechanic in the second half.
It seems to have been designed by a completely different team :psyduck: that density of action.

Was it really ever relevant in the first half?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lugubrious! posted:

I'm feeling the same way, though I'm still enjoying my play through. My biggest beef though is the tone and art direction - They didn't really capture the campy comic book charm of the original, everything looks so drab and there's been no standout characters thus far. I think Fallout was still a better homage to the original than the official sequel is...

I agree but I'm mostly let down by the design issues, because those shouldn't be as hampered by a low budget. I can understand uninspired art direction (much of it is crowd sourced) in a ~4 million dollar project. Awful mechanics (like 5 flavors of lock picking, all w/ random failure checks) less so. I don't think the writing has been stellar either.

It's really not fair to blame the genre, though - these are faults of the game. That said, I'm happy the game exists, and although I'm a fair bit disappointed I don't regret backing it at all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

True, but I'm not sure what other similar game really does it better?

Fallout Tactics is the natural comparison.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Regarding Darwin: the plague victims don't seem to trigger the wall mounted bombs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ddraig posted:

So this is certainly a thing. You know that Snake game in the Ranger's Citadel? There's slightly more to it.

Go to your Wasteland 2 folder in documents, and check that Drive1 folder. Open the file... you'll understand why when you do.

That's really neat

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bobtheconqueror posted:

That's their rank, which changes as you level up. Game doesn't really have classes.

Kinda disappointed Darwin Village wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, but it does look like they fixed a bunch of little things in Titan and beyond.

What's the issue with Darwin? Strict skill checks?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bitcoin bastard posted:

I've been getting a lot of use out of Alarm Disarming so far (just got to the Prison last night)

How many situations have you been in where you really cared about not setting off the alarm? I can think of one so far.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Somehow the number got omitted in my original post. Yeah, I have it at 10 and level 10 should be at 60%. I assume they added higher levels (the percentage would probably be appropriate for level 12 safe) but then it doesn't make any loving sense to have the skill capped at 10.

I could've done without any RNG based skill checks, personally.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is the math for critical successes known yet?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I never liked or understood RPGs' insistence on tying skill points to an attribute, and to intelligence in particular.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do blunt weapons get the same strength/level modifier as brawling?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Never accuse me of being good at math, but if you say "you have a %16 chance to win, but a %45 chance to critically fail and never have a chance to win again..."

Then you roll dice to determine the critical failure before you bother rolling to check that %16 chance to win, it's not actually a %16 chance of winning.

How did you check? (That's pretty stupid if true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

the lying percentages

Again, do you have something to back up this claim?

• Locked thread