Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Hands up! Who's wearing their goon shirt and/or buckle?

:wave:

Darkrenown.. I have a spare key I can trade for your key when you get it. Was going to give my spare key to a friend but won't be doing that any time soon. PM what type and I'll shoot it over.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

double nine posted:

wait, have the physical rewards arrived yet?

I was referring to the goon-led limited edition and ultimately far more valuable custom shirt and buckle. These will be worth millions.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I don't have PMs, but if you could hit me up with standard key via darkrenown at yahoo.co.uk that would be great :kimchi:

Email sent!

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Salutations my friend. May your handle never be taken in vain.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I don't know if it's that I haven't played a game in 20 years or I am on a game high but, I think this game is great. Fallout 3, FO3:NV, and Borderlands mechanics bored the hell out of me after half way through. I haven't done any Skyrim so I can't say anything about that. I also waited for the DC after about a year or so of not being able to play because I had nothing to play it on so I've missed a ton of updates. This is so much better than first release and I find nothing confusing about it at all. I even just hobbled together a party with no real concern of overlapping skills or min/maxing and I walked through Highpool this time like it was butter. Even the one bug I encountered managed to fix itself (Garoof and having a bunch of chickens following me around).

I love that it is random, I love that I can't do everything, and I love that I'm going to come back to this time and time again to see things I've had to miss.

I agree AG is too difficult and it should be pointed out as such when you make your first real decision. They did propagandize it a lot as "you have to make a decision early on that will branch the story and there's nothing you can do about it" and should have also stated that one is loving hard and one is easy and if you're new - go that way. Since this is like my 10th start on the game as a whole I just went Highpool to make things faster. I actually don't remember it being this easy.

Here's what I like:
+You will not always be able to open that safe
+You will not get ALL THE ITEMS on a single run through
+You don't need the same 4 drat pre-planned min/max characters every new game to win
+You will have people die mid-game
+The mechanics are loving simple compared to those Jagged Alliance 2 mods that made turns take forever and yet still this game feels as in-depth as that game
+This game never ceases to surprise me with sheer luck and I mean real luck - not in game luck. -
e.g. I got Vulture's cry (my first time taking her) and found she comes with no weapons JUST after I sold all my spare guns. Only after going to buy them back did I find we could pressure the tradesman to give her real stuff back for free (and it was a better gun)
+Exploding chickens are hilarious
+NPCs actually do have a mind of their own. Since NPCs in games usually have history I always hated games that allowed me to say - make them kill their best friend - with no repercussions
+Every skill seems useful in some way although I do not have to take any skill if I don't want.
+If your save-scumming, you're basically just fighting the repercussions of your past sins (or your newbness)

Most of the complaints I read on here (besides bugs) is just stuff I feel is what would make the game a boring, single run game.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Lol if you go Highpool and are not walking around with a flock of useless chickens.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Zore posted:

where the gently caress are these chickens????

seriously i would settle for a chicken. or a dog that isn't an rear end in a top hat who refuses to come with me

Find Alexey the hippie dude. Always about 4-5 hanging around there. They can also be found up in Highpool between two houses. They give +1 Luck - non stacking but if you have a half-dozen it'll last awhile.

The Insect Court posted:

The problem is that sometimes it's because you crit failed that 80% chance to open safe despite having a character with maxed lockpicking/safecracking.

A system with a simple pass/fail skill level test is superior to that. Or one that gives a % chance to open with crit failure being the loss of a lockpick the availability of which serves as a check. Or even some annoying minigame.

I disagree. Simple pass/fail with potential loss of a lockpick is just an annoyance to an inevitable success. Might as well just make them all unlocked because with that type of system no one is going to not max their locksmith/safecrack.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Zore posted:

I can only seem to get 3 animals total following my party at once :( Even with my rudimentary save editing, putting an animal in will bump the oldest out while keeping the buff around.

Sadly it is 3. :( i confused you. Abetforth bit it early on for me so I've been carrying nothing but chickens around highpool and replaced the ones lost rather quickly from the half dozen wandering around. I am about to head to raider camp and AG so we'll see how long I can keep them going.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I see a lot of people dumping Luck and I wonder if it has a more negative effect than players realize. Like, does low Luck contribute to weapon jams? Because I try to keep everyone in average stats and rarely encounter jams. On the other hand, I hear a ton of people complaining their weapons jam a lot.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

The problem with Luck as a combat stat is that all of its effects are either random or negligible. Critical hits are more dependent on your weapon skill than your base critical chance, and a few extra points of evasion don't change much. Extra Con and AP are nice, but there's no reliable way to trigger them. So you can either invest in Luck to potentially get small bonuses, or you could put those points into other stats and get the same bonuses permanently.

Thanks for the info. This makes sense. Personally, I like a bit of randomness and now I know if I really, REALLY want the points in other attributes, I can lower this without much consequence. I was always afraid to go down to 1 so I've always kept it at 2-3. It hasn't really affected me as I am currently on Seasoned. Next run I might fiddle with it.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Quarex posted:

I keep meaning to ask about this; is the number of animal companions you can have following you a function of Charisma or something? Or of the skill itself? Oh. Never mind. I just realized the skill might explain why I always fail to get new goats and it is because you can only have one animal of a particular type. Welp, this changes everything

I can confirm I have multiple chickens. They do not stack though.

When I get back home today I will attempt to verify how many exactly I can have at any one time.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
It would certainly be nice if discovered mines were flagged to pathfinding AI of the party and no one (including NPCs who go rogue) would step on them.

Does having a high perception on a guy at the back of the formation mean the guy in front has the same chance of seeing something? Because I gave my tank melee dude high perception thinking he'd always be closer to mines and stuff and see them before the party stepped on something.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Zore posted:

You have to turn perception on to be able to detect things. It'll appear as a white circle surrounding the dude who has it.

Click on it on the toolbar.

My question was more directed at perception distance and who uses it and not so much on how to use it. I forgot about the circle thing so maybe turning that on will give me my answer visually.

For example, you put perception on a low HP character with many other skills and he is running in the back of the pack... since skills are now potentially "party wide" does the guy in front who doesn't have perception (and is closer to the mine) see it sooner? Or could he potentially walk over a mine because the guy in back hasn't moved close enough to detect it yet?

That was my question.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

EricFate posted:

Yes. Once the 'perception guy' has the circle around him, anyone and anything outside of that circle remains invisible. If one of your characters strays outside the circle, he can hit landmines that have yet to be discovered (though he can just as easily hit landmines that have been discovered because there is no mechanic to force a pause when a discovery like that is made).

Well, now I am glad I put perception on my melee guy with lots of Health who walks ahead of everyone else.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
This is my own personal opinion but, I say just play it out until you are bored or dead.. All the restart posts I see are because people are trying to play their own concept of a perfect run or disappointed with their stats. Which is fine. Problem is after every area you learn something new and you'll just want to restart every single step of your progression. I say play it out (have crazy weird fun with it) and when you've made it through some more areas or even completed it, THEN reroll your dudes and go for it.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
They are a carry over from WL1. I personally was hoping they'd expand on Outdoors skill a bit more with regards to map travel. Like using it for fast travel or introducing a food/camp mechanic or something.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Quarex posted:

Edit: Mind you, I also love those games. Well, moreso Jagged Alliance 2 than X-Com, but I think they all have stuff to offer. I just think Wasteland 2 should if anything have combat be even faster still (though I think the pacing is pretty solid, personally).

Are we twins?

Combat in WL2 is fine by me so far. Although, I do wish we could see some type of enemy vision or there was more stealth available. (Maybe there is? IDK). I do not enjoy that I attempt to sneak my guys into better placement only to have the enemy walk one step and catch several of my guys walking out in the open because I can't physically move 5 guys individually at the same time.

Also the jump into turn-based mode and suddenly the guy I tried to sneak up and knife instantly tells the whole map where everyone of my dudes are.

JA2 was awesome at that as slow as it was. The talking into a radio animation to call buddies was my favorite because I felt - ok, I was too slow in killing him and now he's calling his buddies for help AND only to that position (so I could have another hidden team sneak behind everyone)

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I am the idiot that constantly wastes 2-3 med packs on a character after a fight when they only have 20xp until next level.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
^ I like your style.

Safe Driver posted:

Is there any real replay to the story? It doesn't seem like anything will be that different if I go different routes .

I think the post between us answers that to a degree.

edit: Has anyone here or elsewhere confirmed that Delta team can be beat? I wanna try because the comment they make as you pass them in HQ suggests they need to be brought down a few notches.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 31, 2015

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Sperging over min/max is like working real hard for an extra fraction of performance gain. As long as your team is well-rounded, the game is not super complicated. You could average every team member with 4-5 points in all attributes and still be ok. It seems the most important points of the game are weapons distribution, skill distribution, and having NPCs that fill gaps. I'm not going to lose sleep because I took 6 Int and 6 Coordination instead of 8 Int and 4 Coordination and now I'm -1 Kiss rear end than I need for a dialog option. Min/Maxing also assumes you will never ever never ever ever dear god never let one of your starting team die early on.

If that's your game, then ok, I guess run with it.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Wait. Are we talking Bioware/Bethseda games or are you still talking about Wasteland 2?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Wasteland 2 has separate skills for Lockpicking and Safecracking, which are functionally identical mechanically,...

lol no

I see your points but, all I hear is that things aren't as aggregated into the simplest form for you.. Look, I'm a die hard Fallout fan since 1 and I never progressed further than 60-75% of FO3 or FO3:NV and I'm certainly not going to jump on FO4 immediately because I was so bored with them. It was nothing but combat littered with robotic unemotional characters with story plots that were pretty much Go There, Shoot/talk/find this thing, (hard PASS or FAIL result) drudge your rear end back for XP.... NEXT... for drat hours and hours and hours

I like this so far because at least there's grey areas in terms of quests.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Well maybe it's semantics to me but, I thought Skills were things that you performed skill checks with and modifications to a characters abilities (radii, carrying limits, and such) were Attributes. I thought it was very clearly defined in the character system. I also haven't played Pillars of Eternity but. I'll take your word on it.

I'm not saying things can't be removed or refined ever but, I don't see one skill that isn't defined to do one unique thing. Can you use multiple skills to open door? Sure. But that's just giving a breadth of options depending on your multiple character party makeup and their progression dynamics. Can't pick lock your way in this time because you spent those 4 points on Pistols? Knock it down instead! It also provides a way to advance characters as you see fit instead of that same one dude always opening the drat door with his magic lock picks and advancing beyond everyone else at the speed of light.

I don't see anything terrible about this system except that the animations could be twice as fast (at least) and there could be more objects that utilize these skills for different purposes. This isn't necessarily a design flaw. It's just a content limitation.

Lotish posted:

Yeah you really should be able to invite someone to the rangers without having to kick someone else out of your active party. Just say include a button during the dialogue screen that says, "You're hired--head to base."

Or at least leave a "I'll think about it" option where you can come back. Not exactly sure I'd like a head to base option as it seems no one would do the opposite. Or just make it automatic all together and they're always like "Thanks dudes for being super cool people I'm going to head to Ranger HQ right away and sign up!" and you could just eventually find them there.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Trilobite posted:

My heavy-weapons doctor blew up a couple of weapons with bursts from her minigun out in California...although since she also turned her targets into chunky beef stew at the same time, I can't say that it was all that useful.

(The heavy weapons perks are pretty loving amazing, really, especially the one where you get precision shot effects from your bursts. You still spend most of Arizona with crappy machine guns that don't have nearly enough range to be useful in a fight, but once you get out West and get better equipment and get that skill up, holy poo poo.)

I've finally made it to California myself. I was having fun with all the other weapons in AZ and really disappointed I couldn't find any 7.62 weapons (except one I found just before leaving). Day 1 of California I find out all my super cool guns are pea-shooters compared to what's for sale in the crappy markets. I drained my wallet as soon as that one weapon trader showed up. Now I can't afford bullets for all the 7.62 weapons I just bought and everyone's dragging their feet because they are so heavy.

Basically every fight is my sweaty asthmatic team huffing their way to a position, leaning on trees and broken walls because they are so tired, while my buff guy runs up and waves his arms to get the enemies attention. Then my team volleys a bullet or two each while the one waving his arms swings his blade around like a human windmill. Rinse and Repeat.

I guess I'll be picking that carry perk next time around.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Great. And I just sold my cache of 500 rounds of .38 for few measly rounds of 7.62.

I don't mind certain guns outclassing others but yeah, linearity of weapons in games is my big pet-peeve. It'd be like if cars used in rural Bumfuck, AnyState only reached 25mph but out in New York they sold cars that traveled at 2500mph. That's not how things work.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Let me go on and on about all the things I enthusiastically have planned to do in the immediate future. We have to make it quick though, before: (the kids come home / I pass out on the couch).

Did I also mention I am restoring a bunch of broken poo poo I own or bought at a flea market? e: And I estimate it will only take a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I still play although, I only play when I get a chance to. I have not sat down and poured 16 hours into it in one sitting. I will also probably play again once I complete it because, I feel I missed a lot.

• Locked thread