Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

well, did you talk to red about the rad suits? You'll need those to accomplish your top flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

The character/actor graphics on this game are pretty bad. I'm perfectly happy about everything else though.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Catts posted:

Are they going to be making a balance pass for weapons/skills and whatnot? The way the skills turned out in this game (lockpicking, critical failures, heavy weapons, Bad/Kiss/Smart rear end) turned me off pretty much day 1 and I still haven't finished it.

I'm sure they won't bother at all because... what

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Brother None posted:

Divinity: OS is on its own engine which may handle file size better than Unity. That said, PoE measures at 15.5 GB on my HD, WL2 measures at 17-20GB depending on platform. It's not that different, and really has more to do with the type of assets we use and how we compress them. Game sizes can rarely be compared by comparing install size. PoE and WL2 are probably both 50-80 hour games? Really depends on playstyle

(all that said, I will note the current build of Game of the Year I have installed is quite a bit smaller than the old version of WL2, I can't guarantee it stays that way but it's encouraging!)

Wasteland 2 is also fully 3d rendered and not in a fixed camera position. That would add a bit to the graphical asset size.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Upmarket Mango posted:

After the GOTY update is released later this summer. Maybe.

Yes. They mentioned this in the original GOTY announcement, I believe.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Is it just me or are they taking a cue from Shadowrun on that?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Quarex, did you do your own voice?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/1335105

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Is there an up to date party optimization guide anywhere for the DC? I was bummed my first playthough after 10 hours to learn I needed skills I never specced for, etc.

It just came out. So, probably not. I spent a lot of time in spreadsheets planning out my party in the original, though.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Four Star General George S. Patton and His Fightin' Kung Fu Action Force
starring in:
WASTEOIDS MUST DIE!

I really hope this works and isn't completely unplayable.

Patton should have Pistols you heathen.

But seriously, why do you not have an edged weapons ranger as your samurai and a blunt dude as your baton ranger?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wait is there anything I have to do to unlock my backer stuff or should that have been included when I entered my keys? It's been a loooooong time since the campaign.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

moot the hopple posted:

In your Ranger portal there's a code you can use on an NPC that gives you an extra backer skill for added flavor text in descriptions. I forgot to use it the first time I played, don't know if I missed out on anything.

I couldn't even remember that the Ranger Portal was a thing. Thanks!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

I played through to Titan Canyon with a party of seven custom rangers. Did any one encounter any issues with this in the second half of the game?

Not very interested in npcs.

How did you make and get the extra 3?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Speaking of Animal Whisperer, the animal husbandry quirk is awful. My Int 10 guy has some pretty crappy stats that I can improve with animal buddies. But they blow up, blood sausage style, after a while with that quirk. Not long enough to really take advantage of the enhanced bonuses the quirk gives you.

Time to edit the XML file.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hooked up my Steam Link and Steam Controller yesterday. Spent more time trying to get a configuration that felt good than playing. Back to playing on my PC. I don't know how you console people put up with this.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ddraig posted:

The problem is you're using a steam controller and not a 360/Xbone controller which is the gold standard as far as PC controllers go.

I have both. I was frustrated by the lack of free aiming in combat with shotguns because...

Ddraig posted:

You're not being a very productive member of this team, Scotchmo.

71% chance to tear the raider a new rear end in a top hat, turns out I was actually aiming directly at the skull of Hex.

100% of my fatal and near-fatal incidents on my team has been caused by.. my team.

Which is why free aiming is a big deal.

I'm pretty stoked to get obliterate though.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I know SMGs get a lot of hate. But, I made a Speed & Awareness character with SMG, Edged, Demolitions & Perception. I just got to level 12 and the skill and perk synergy is pretty great, especially with Tactical Positioning. The CLASSIC spread is like this:

C 4
L 3
A 6
S 4
S 6 +1 (10), +1 (20, eventually)
I 4
C 1

AP: 8 (9 @ lvl 20)
Initiative: 14 (15 @ lvl 20)
Evade: 10 (11 @ 10, 12 @ 20)

Q: Twitchy
Perks: Tactical Positioning, Hit the Deck, Long Arm. Next up are Self Defence & Samurai

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Crigit posted:

Rocket launchers and thrown explosives. They aren't associated with a skill so you don't need to worry about bad skills causing a miss.

This and an energy weapon. A pistol-sized one would probably be best.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Have you always been able to be the robot whisperer if you tried computer science on robots in combat?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Xander77 posted:

If by that you mean "could you always use computer science to charm robots in combat, the way Animal Whisperer works on critters", the answer is yes.

Well poo poo. I wish I had known that in march.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Larsen's an big hurt-y rear end in a top hat. 1 shot from the rocket launcher, however, cleans him up real quick.

Or some crits from Ace's wrench. If he gets more than two turns before you kill him, you're doing something wrong.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah. but I have to kill this guy to finish the quest right?

Yep. What's your team? It should be doable, especially if you have Angie

Edit: whoops, my team is naked now. Stupid Davy Crockett

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 18, 2015

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Brother None posted:

Linux uses OpenGL, not DX9, so that fix does not apply to you. Feel free to mail us at support@inxile.net and we can look into it, but it may be something we need to patch (working on it!)

Lot of posts while I was out over the weekend. Any outstanding questions I can help with?

Is there a general workaround guide for the current bugs anywhere? Mainly thinking about the companions disappearing when dismissed bug when I ask.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Brother None posted:

No, other than force DX9 for some of these bugs. I do believe companions reappear when you transit to the second part of the game?

That's what I hear.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ddraig posted:

I wish there was some button for "Just loving stop walking, immediately"

Honestly, switching to a controller has fixed all my movement system gripes. They only thing I miss out on are mouseover tips for bad guys and skill attempts (you can't see the critical fail %).

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

jfood posted:

Three clowns and an rear end in a top hat.

I went 2 clowns, an rear end in a top hat and a late bloomer.

That said, I think I'm going to start over with a guy with leadership. It's important to keep NPCs under control in supreme jerk mode. Armor piercing seems really goddamn important in supreme jerk mode, unless I'm interpreting the damage wrong. I know you basically do half damage. But it also appears that all enemies have armor, which they don't on the default difficulty.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 23, 2015

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Quarex posted:

I am a little sad that nothing happened.

Nice. But, how do I get the orion slave girl nice mutant lady?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Zore posted:

No that's about it.

You need a combined 22 Charisma across your party or she won't even show up at the end though.

Jesus that's a lot of Charisma, even with Ralphy.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

homullus posted:

Or not as much, if you take the Radiant Personality perk.

Yeah I know. Mostly considering my Supreme Jerk plan. Doesn't allow for a lot of Perk wiggle room.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Zore posted:

Remember too there's some fairly common trinkets that add+1 to Charisma.

And you can have Ralphy (4) Takayuki (3) and Vulture's Cry (4) really easily which only requires 11 across your built Rangers. I usually have 8 (5 for the Leadership one, 1 for the rest) and pad it out with the spiked collar trinkets.

That's a good point. I'll math it up with trinkets in mind. I hadn't been thinking in that direction.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I just found out about Toxx Claws and now I'm sad I don't have a brawler.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Assault Rifles are still the best overall weapon. Even with the under pressure penalties, it's not such a big deal to move 1-2 squares away and then get a burst off anyway. The only way this is a real problem is if your Speed score is 2 or less. But, if you did that, you're dumb.

Heavy Weapons are much improved; but, I still think you should be able to modify Heavy Weapons with stuff that makes jamming less of a thing since the AP cost is huge to clear them.

But why the gently caress does the "Hollow Point" perk provide an Armor Piercing bonus? That's backwards as all get out.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Was just going to say, FMJ would be a better name for it.
Hollow point could be "additional damage against targets under X armor level, reduced against higher"

Yes, this.

Is it just me or are Armor Piercing bonuses toothless? +1 AP vs a 15% damage bonus on something that does 10-15 damage is fairly equal. But later rifles do 30-60 damage and are all of the sudden 4x better than an AP bonus, right?

Unless I don't understand how armor and armor piercing works. Which is possible.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 26, 2015

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

If the weapon's penetration rating is above or equal to the target armor rating, the weapon deals 100% of the damage.

If the weapon penetration is below the target's armor rating, though, the damage is reduced. How much damage is dealt is determined by dividing the weapon penetration score by the armor rating and multiplying the result by 100%.

Here's the actual formula I guess

Okay, cool. That's way better than the way I thought it worked.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Brother None posted:

I think that was just a naming flub which'll get patched, not 100% sure tho.

Yay. So... there's a patch coming soon? :D

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

I haven't even gotten to a point where the Ranger fucks will let me in the Citadel yet, but am I the only one who buys a rad suit first thing by selling a few of those painkillers and then goes off stash hunting? I'm sure if I knew which skills to take etc I could have a full party before even touching the drat tower to find the repeaters. I only know where a few stashes are, but even a couple pieces of non-poo poo equipment make the early game far less terrible and the rad suit is only $200 base.

E: plus a few encounters around the Rail Nomad area will usually net you some solid assault rifles

Honestly, that's the hard way of getting upgrades. The radio tower question is really well balanced and tends to give you useful upgrades right away. Enough to get further and not struggle while moving on to the next quest or scrounging in hard areas, like Rail Nomads.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Is there a Z key equivalent for consoles? I'm playing this on the Xbone and, for some reason, never thought to search for this thread. Just finished my second run of AgCenter after getting very frustrated with my character that had shotguns with the Opportunist perk, now I'm thinking of restarting again after reading those creation guides and learning that Rose will stay with me.

It's much better to edit the save file (make a backup first) so that you continue playing rather than suffering from restart-itis.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

RVWinkle posted:

That sure saved me but I assume console players don't have that luxury.

Oh right. Derp.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wasteland 2 is an excellent example of turn-based combat happening efficiently, if nothing else. Many turn-based games have exceedingly slow animations, followed by animation resets, that slow everything way the gently caress down.

For example, run up to cover with corners. You'll back up or crouch down against that cover immediately, no slower than you would if there was no cover in that space. Then fire of a shot with a low AP weapon. You'll flip around and stick your arm out and immediately fire off a shot. No extended aiming animations.Then the animation will stop. If you can fire off another shot, you just squeeze the trigger again without having to watch the character pull out of cover again. When you end the turn, the camera peels away to the next Ranger while the finished character resets to their "in cover" stance. All of that is excellent and has been a huge problem in a lot of turn-based games. Even the last X-Com. If you want to see an absolutely horrible example of turn-based combat being slow as gently caress due to flourished animations that are only cool the first couple of times, play The Temple of Elemental Evil, where a kick takes 5 long seconds to set up and execute.

That said, some non-combat based stuff is slow for no reason. Show me a skill result immediately so that I can examine the result rather than making me wait for the skill icon to fill up with light. Do the longer part of the animation after the results float over as flavor. How much time to I spend watching the shovel icon, for gently caress's sake?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Lotish posted:

Oh my god the mutants in Darwin take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to take their turns.

Yeah. But that's on purpose due to their movement. It made me want PoE's fast mode as an easier option (you can speed up combat in wasteland 2 in the menu settings).

jfood posted:

Shotguns and pipebombs rock on that map. Kinda sucks that playing murderball with aoes is so antithetical to the 'best outcome' though.

The AoE perk for explosives is extra handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

quote:

Reduced the Improvised Explosives salvage chance slightly

But I've only gotten 2 sticks of TNT off of about 20 traps. drat it. At least energy weapons are still garbage.

Doesn't anyone know the to hit calculation for melee weapons? Coordination is only supposed to affect range. So, I gimped that stat for my melee dude. But she can't hit poo poo.

• Locked thread