Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cute anime girl
Feb 14, 2014

I want to make a special mention of my 100% completed Super Mario World save, deleted in 2002 by my sister, which I now have cut all ties with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

when i was a kid we had a lovely third party memory card for the ps1 that randomly deleted saves and my big bro would force me to replay the game until the point he was in lol

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
makes me wonder how many runescape accounts I made when I was in elementary school

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:pray:

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
One of the first online games I ever played was Phantasy Star Online 1/2 for the gamecube... it was great except that every time me or my brother went online there was about a 1/30 chance that the game would freeze up and delete all of our characters. I don't know why we put up with that poo poo

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i once deleted a save from space quest 1 where i was about ten points away from perfect and it was the only save.
it ruined my childhood

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i attribute the decline of japanese games to their refusal to adopt the autosave.

die to a poo poo fight and lose hours of progress because i didn't want to play menuquest at a savepoint what nonsense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i attribute the decline of japanese games to their refusal to adopt the autosave.

die to a poo poo fight and lose hours of progress because i didn't want to play menuquest at a savepoint what nonsense.
play menuquest = go into a menu for two seconds

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Endorph posted:

play menuquest = go into a menu for two seconds

intolerable

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Mr. Pumroy posted:

intolerable

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I put about 80 hours into an Oblivion character, and my save got corrupted

:negative:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
N64 mem cart got corrupted and lost my 100% Gauntlet Legacy save :rip:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I push f5 every 2 minutes out of habit

it makes browsing the internet something of a chore

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
i have a bunch of old rom saves that i backed up on a zipdisk

1 day ill buy a reader just to see what gems are there (assuming the disk still works after a decade)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

When I was ten or so?I had a pokemon emerald game that had all but six pokemon in the pokedex.

One of my older brother's friends took it and started a new game and saved as soon as he could just to be a dick to a ten year old

My older brother went to his house the next week and deleted the guy's hundred hour animal crossing save and then punched him in the face for me.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 18, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I will not lament the lost saves, for they enable me to game again.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

gently caress snes.carts and how they'd always delete my ff2 saves

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

i've 100% SMW a dozen times

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

My Xbox broke while was playing Def Jam: Fight for NY. Now I'll never beat Xzibit.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

babypolis posted:

when i was a kid we had a lovely third party memory card for the ps1 that randomly deleted saves and my big bro would force me to replay the game until the point he was in lol

your big bro sounds really cool

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
my old best friend's older brother refused to let him play ps1 and would delete his vagrant story save every time he found it, so he played the first few hours like a million times

i think that might be why he turned out to be a douche

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

gay skull posted:

gently caress snes.carts and how they'd always delete my ff2 saves

everytime i come across your username/avatar i laugh myself silly. its one of my favourites.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

one time trying to get the cheese bridge secret exit in SMW when I was 7 or 8 (the one where you had to fly through the stage perfectly not hitting any of the saws or anything and drift under the first exit) and after dozens of attempts I got so mad i pulled the cartridge out without turning off the SNES and chucked it into a neighbor's lawn, never to be found again.

i wonder if their kid picked it up and succeeded where i failed

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I was probably 10 at the time, and my father brought back home SuSe Linux 6.1 and I had to try it. SIX loving CDS, COOL!

I had no clue what partitions were. I sure learned a lot that day. I probably lost a Commander Keen 6 save :(

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I just remembered that the NES cartridge's save files were battery powered.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
RIP my copy of Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

One time I lent my dad (who was divorced from my mom and living far away) my Secret of Mana cart, which had a save with all of the weapons+skills+magic maxed out, all characters at max level, and even had the Mana Sword and Daedalus Spear.

He died before he could return it to me.

I miss my dad. I miss my SoM cart. I don't miss my FF6 or LttP carts for some reason.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

cute anime girl posted:

I want to make a special mention of my 100% completed Super Mario World save, deleted in 2002 by my sister, which I now have cut all ties with.

I remember as a kid accidentally deleting my friend's SMW save, and he had just gotten to the last level. I felt so loving horrible, it upset me for a week.:smithicide:

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I don't understand mourning the loss of completed SMW saves. I just delete it and start new as soon as I hit 100%?

Been gaming my whole life, yet my only lost save was a corrupted Neverwinter Nights save and I wanted to redo my character anyway so whatevs. All six times my GameCube was stolen nobody took my memory cards. It's kind of surreal.

Not quite a lost save, cause I still have the save files, but while I was moving and I had brought some stuff over to my mom's apartment, she had some tattoo artist over to finish her full back tat and he stole some of my games out of a box, most notably Just Cause 2 which was over 70% complete, and Bayonetta in which I was almost platinum on my Jeanne run. Couldn't afford to replace those for like $40 a piece at the time. Now I've restarted JC2 on PC instead.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That feel when you best friend deletes your level 99 Final Fantasy 7 save on purpose and you punch his loving head in. oval office.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
on a vita theres 4 types of games, vita games, psp games, ps1 classics, and ps mobile games

vita games have their saves tied to the game and if you delete the game you lose your save, this is very cool on a system with very expensive memory. you can back up your saves only by either transferring the entire game to your computer or paying ps plus lol

psp and ps1 games have separate saves from their games, so you can freely delete them, but even if you are paying for ps plus you cannot back your saves up to the cloud. because.

as far as i can tell you cant do anything to save ps mobile saves when you delete those games haha

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That feel when you best friend deletes your level 99 Final Fantasy 7 save on purpose and you punch his loving head in. oval office.

some friend

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had to replay Chrono Trigger so many times as a kid because I was only ever able to rent it and every time I had to give it back some jackass would overwrite my saves before I could rent it again.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Lotish posted:

I had to replay Chrono Trigger so many times as a kid because I was only ever able to rent it and every time I had to give it back some jackass would overwrite my saves before I could rent it again.

gently caress the occasional rare game that would have the "copy" function for their save game menu. Some people would just clone their save in all slots to raise the likelihood that one of them survives. Cmon guys, we're all in the same boat trying to keep a save alive! We should be working together!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
My original 3DO is dead and I lost all of my rad Star Control II teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

elf help book posted:

on a vita theres 4 types of games, vita games, psp games, ps1 classics, and ps mobile games

vita games have their saves tied to the game and if you delete the game you lose your save, this is very cool on a system with very expensive memory. you can back up your saves only by either transferring the entire game to your computer or paying ps plus lol

psp and ps1 games have separate saves from their games, so you can freely delete them, but even if you are paying for ps plus you cannot back your saves up to the cloud. because.

as far as i can tell you cant do anything to save ps mobile saves when you delete those games haha

on the plus side, no one gives a poo poo about ps mobile games.

newly released on steam dungeon crawler elminage gothic put out a patch today that deleted not only everyone's saves, but all the game files as well.

• Locked thread