Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Let it not be forgotten that Bret was less than amused over the stuff involving the Canadian flag in the build up to the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

omgomgomg posted:

Also, why is it important that HHH was so invested in the whole situation? Did he already have any political leverage at that point?

HHH was booked as Shawns buddy and partner, the better exposure that Shawn got the better position HHH was in. At the time this was the biggest push he had had in any company, he was working the occasional main events and was a minor but featured player. It wasn't so much that he was looking out for his buddy, more that he knew which way his bread was buttered, and as long as Shawn was in the spotlight some of that light would fall on him. He ended up launching his career as a result of this, springboarding off Shawn's loss at mania (during which again he got a huge amount of exposure in the build). If Shawn was hurt, he was hurt.

quote:

And lastly, why did WCW not care about Bret / why did they want him at such a high price and not do anything with him?

Politics. Bischoff wanted more stars for when Thunder was launched. The established main eventers in WCW (mostly Hogan and Nash) didn't want to give up their spot or even just want to share it with anyone else. Bret was a threat, so he got marginalised and out played. The money match after Sting/Hogan was Bret Hogan, something no one had put on before and Hogan did everything in his power to avoid it happening. Eventually Bret became just another guy.

• Locked thread