Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I believe it was a work as well.

Let me show you the narrative of what happened, if it was a worked shoot.

First look at how Wrestling With Shadows frames the backstage "shoot" footage. WWF offers The National Film Board of Canada unprecedented access to their backstage to document Hart. During this time a company under the creative direction of Vince Russo just so happens to have the biggest shoot angle in wrestling history. Seems pretty shady to me. The circumstance that Vince allowed a kayfabe breaking documentary crew backstage for the first time, and it was during the Montreal Screwjob is too big of a coincidence for me to buy.

The documentary crew catches Vince and company going to speak to Bret in his locker room. They do not follow. On the way back, Vince is sporting a black eye, and walking in a daze. That seems like a bluff to me. A magic trick.

Look at the character of Bret Hart since his feud with Austin. Multiple times before Montreal, he flips out and curses, throwing fits in the ring, incensed by WWF management. If you look at the Montreal Screwjob in booking terms you'd see it was designed to take the focus of Bret leaving for WWF, and place the heat on McMahon. That is a big introduction to put over the Mr. McMahon character. This character had been ready to go since Vince's heel work in Memphis, and Montreal was one giant leap to make him the most over heel in wrestling. Financially, WWF needed a very over wrestler they didn't have to pay.

If you are to believe the contract negotiation footage of Bret leading up to Montreal, he was loyal to WWF, but offered too much money to leave and Vince couldn't compete in wage matching. This seems to me like the perfect scenario for a wrestler to put someone over. And a wrestler who wouldn't mind putting over the promoter himself. Since Bret hated Shawn, I believe he agreed to put over Mr. McMahon himself on leaving instead.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling With Shadows was only scheduled to be filmed until Summerslam. When Vince told Bret he was breaching his contract Bret contacted the filmmakers that this might be worth covering. Beyond that Bret and Vince would never lie under oath during the Owen Hart trial, your conspiracy falls apart from the beginning because the documentary was supposed to be long over.

Furthermore Vince thought he would come out of the screwjob as a babyface. He very clearly portrayed himself as one, tried to lie to the boys about it (this is where the Bret was going to Nitro the next day story begins) and sell it to the fans as Vince being the good guy. Your entire narrative doesn't work.

Yeah, probably. I'm unfamiliar with the Owen trial. But I don't think they would lie in that situation.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

There were a lot of people involved in it (at least HHH, Hayes, Russo, Vince, Shawn, and Hebner and I'm probably missing a few), and even more working for the company at the time (any wrestler bio where the guy was working for the company at the time has at least a chapter on what the locker room was like that night, including guys with no incentive to lie and ones that continue to defend the screwjob), and all of them have kept kayfabe on it? Not to mention, Michaels' story has changed over the years, from "I didn't know anything about it" to "Oh yeah I definitely planned it". The most recent episode of Monday Night Wars has all of the WWE version of events (McMahon did what he had to do to save the company and protect the wrestlers) instead of the actual events as chronicled by Dave Meltzer in the first post, which definitely establish McMahon as almost definitely the bad guy. How does that fit into the work?

Well. A promoter lying to his locker room? A wrestler working the boys? Neither of those are that rare.

Still. Yes. It was definitely sold as entertainment by both Vinces before, during and after it happened. The black eye was make up. So even if Bret didn't know about it, I feel Vince was seizing the advantage to work the documentary crew to turn reality into an angle. So even if Bret not knowing about the Screwjob itself was a shoot, it was worked to death by McMahon. Everything is Philip K. Dickian in the reality of wrestling, as you must know, the parameters of what's real or not are hard to define for us as much as it is for the people involved sometimes. Crying fowl and suspecting a conspiracy in WWF is not the same as it is in the rest of the world.

I will maintain that the whole situation was fishy. If it was worked, it was a brilliant way to screw over WCW on Bret's exit. It was a brilliant way to work the smarks. I'm going to remain undecided on it. How could I know what exactly is real in a kayfabe business?

• Locked thread