Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Reminder that the eSports Speedrun Scene is alive and well on Something Awful and you should join in too. Myself and GNU Order hold fourth and fifth respectively (with more respect to me). If we don't get first we're letting both Beta Testers and France win. The trick is to go fast and not die, unless you want to die.

DeliciousBees posted:

I patched it out of the 100% completion in the 9/22 update because I felt some weird sense of empathy or something.

Also, just pushed a new update! Fixes the audio sliders bug, some crazy PhysX issues that goons reported, and includes a HUGE performance gain for people who were having slowdown issues.

Next week's patch plans: eSports suggestions, more performance improvements for people below min spec, an option to switch to a lower res/faster video player, and hopefully finally putting this AMD 5xxx series bug to rest. Depending on when our next batch of test controllers arrive, maybe also more controller support too. Please keep sending me bugs if you see them!

This patch has made everything waaaaay nicer in the mountains :waycool:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If you turn on one hit death it will make the deathwarps in the speedrun faster. :getin:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dr. Stab posted:

If you turn on one hit death it will make the deathwarps in the speedrun faster. :getin:

Taking Damage To Save Time is a time-honored eSports tradition, sir. :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Is there any place where non deathwarp damage saves time? I thought damage in the run was just from mistakes.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Is there any place where non deathwarp damage saves time? I thought damage in the run was just from mistakes.

Destruction Derby

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I will maintain that there are multiple death warps despite having evidence to back it up

Dying just takes way too long to justify death warps most of the time

And the fact that you get repaired after every mission (which is amazing don't change that) means that dying takes a bit longer

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 1, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm doing IL time trials, and it's a little annoying to me how if you blow up, you have to wait for the car to respawn before hitting retry ride, or else you'll have to spend the start of the next run waiting down the respawn timer.

e: also for my power to recharge.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 1, 2014

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Alright: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SovietWaffle/stats/appid/303430/achievements

Do I need to do those locked achievements for 100% (Minus Desert Bus)?

Also is there a way to easily check IL progress? I think I've 100%d them all, but I don't know for sure.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Just got this game yesterday and it is most certainly a Good Game that everyone should buy. I knew goons made it/were in it, but I laughed my rear end off when I saw Eric Pope the farmer, also anything involving Jeffrey the Skeleton is probably my favorite part of the game. :allears:

I only stopped playing last night when the game crashed (I have an AMD 5770 which is apparently an issue already being looked at?), this game oozes so much hilarious charm and I need to get better at it so I can be a competitive eSports enthusiast. Haven't tried out Desert Limo yet, either. I hope I can stop at the stop sign for an extra point!

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

DeliciousBees posted:

Next week's patch plans: eSports suggestions

Please tell me this means 100% Speedrun mode.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DeliciousBees posted:

Next week's patch plans: eSports suggestions
No Powerups, Limo Only, Final Fare Destination

And a Crazy Taxi mode please?

Croccers fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 2, 2014

DeliciousBees
Jul 15, 2001

GNU Order posted:

I will maintain that there are multiple death warps despite having evidence to back it up

Dying just takes way too long to justify death warps most of the time

And the fact that you get repaired after every mission (which is amazing don't change that) means that dying takes a bit longer

Ragny and I disagree on this - I think it's faster to deathwarp for the last three missions in City, but Ragny thinks taking the tunnel shortcut and jumping is faster. I'd play the dev card, but his time is seven minutes faster than mine :)

Dr. Stab posted:

I'm doing IL time trials, and it's a little annoying to me how if you blow up, you have to wait for the car to respawn before hitting retry ride, or else you'll have to spend the start of the next run waiting down the respawn timer.

e: also for my power to recharge.

Added "start fully respawned on restart" to the fix list, thanks for the reminder.

Studio posted:

Alright: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SovietWaffle/stats/appid/303430/achievements

Do I need to do those locked achievements for 100% (Minus Desert Bus)?

Also is there a way to easily check IL progress? I think I've 100%d them all, but I don't know for sure.

Yep, to get 100% you need all achievements except Desert Limo and 100%. I'll probably take I've Covered Wars off in the next patch too, since that's a similar time sink to Desert Limo.

We had a good beta suggestion to put %'s on the pause map, but it's one of those things that's gnarlier than it looks so we held off for launch. I'll take another look once we're out of performance tweaks mode and back into feature adding mode.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

DeliciousBees posted:

Added "start fully respawned on restart" to the fix list, thanks for the reminder.

Just to add to this, a couple other restart bugs I've noticed: If you blow up and restart the mission while the camera is mid-pan back to the respawn point it will keep panning once the mission restarts; If you restart while on a lower z-axis then where you start, you'll restart under the ground and blow up (especially noticeable in the last Jeffrey mission, if you get down to to Popes farm and restart). Of course you may have already fixed these I've only been doing speedruns for the past week so I haven't been restarting much.

DeliciousBees posted:

We had a good beta suggestion to put %'s on the pause map, but it's one of those things that's gnarlier than it looks so we held off for launch. I'll take another look once we're out of performance tweaks mode and back into feature adding mode.

Have you considered having the star icons on the map fill when you 100% the mission? That might actually be harder depending on how you structured everything but I think it would look better than having percentages on the map.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Is there some place to go to see all of the leaderboards, or do you have to go from place to place on the map?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Gonna pick up this game after watching Vinesauce Joel doing a brief LP of it.

I didn't even realize it was goon made until this point in a different longer LP where I said "What the hell, is that Psychadelic Eyeball's voice!?"

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this! (I'm leezard)

My times started going down pretty dramatically once I figured out that the right stick controls the camera zoom. :v:

There's still a couple minutes I could pretty easily shave off this just by not making as many mistakes and having the caskets behave a little nicer. I'm feeling pretty good about this, considering how little grinding I've done on it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 8, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It wasn't until my second playthrough that I realized that the water limo upgrade lets you dive if you press CTRL while embarked. Are there collectibles out there?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I've been streaming Roundabout speedruns off and on on Twitch for the past week (about 2 hours per session) and last night I finally broke through and got the WR time. Unfortunately, I didn't have video archiving turned on so that run is lost forever. However, earlier today I beat that old time and recorded it, so here's the video of my current WR time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzndirciWAA

Still plenty of room to improve of course, but this post is less about this run and more about what happened during the Triathlon section. I felt like I wasn't ready to abuse glitches, so I decided to cancel the permanent car shrinker effect and finished the run. Of course, I had to try and recreate it. Here are my findings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGfdK2ip13c

It looks like pressing the power button right before entering the garage (I'm using the ticking of the power bar draining as an audio clue) triggers the effect. Dying doesn't knock you out of shrinker mode and you can use your other power just fine, but entering another area or re-triggering the current active effect knocks you out of it. It appears to work for the pedestrian attractor, car shrinker, and slow mo (though it only slows down the music, everything else moves at full speed) but I didn't really spend much time messing around with it

So, having said all that, what's the ruling here? Are we going to embrace our glitched car future?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

GNU Order posted:

So, having said all that, what's the ruling here? Are we going to embrace our glitched car future?

I am in favor of declaring it a feature, because speedruns use these kinds of things all the time to shorten their final time.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Pyroi posted:

I am in favor of declaring it a feature, because speedruns use these kinds of things all the time to shorten their final time.

Yeah, true. I'm basically bringing it to the attention of the devs and letting them decide if they want it to be a bug or a feature

DeliciousBees
Jul 15, 2001

GNU Order posted:

Thanks so much for the video. Some thoughts and a question below!

So, there's a small (but unlikely) chance this may be input device specific. If it is, we'll definitely fix it.

If it's something that's doable by anyone on any input device, then I'm a little torn. One of the cool things about speedrunning is seeing the rad glitches people find. I was originally thinking of nerfing shrink, but after trying to beat Ragny's time and failing by half his time again, I decided not to since you clearly needed skill AND shrink to get the best times.

This seems like that same thing again, but you guys are some of the top tier speedrunners for Roundabout. Do you guys think this removes any challenge of getting a top speedrun time, or is it still skill based even with infinite shrink?

Edit: Ah crap, saw that it breaks some challenges too. We'll definitely fix it for challenges/main game, but I'll keep an eye on responses to see if we fix it for speedruns or just leave it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's not input device specific.

I don't know about the challenge, but it makes the speedrun better by having infinite music box through 2/3rds of the game.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

DeliciousBees posted:

This seems like that same thing again, but you guys are some of the top tier speedrunners for Roundabout. Do you guys think this removes any challenge of getting a top speedrun time, or is it still skill based even with infinite shrink?

Well there are two ways to answer your question.

As far as gameplay skill is concerned, there's definitely a skill to conserving your shrink in order to get a good route through a section, and I personally happen to enjoy that part of running the game. Having not messed around too much with trying to do shrink glitched runs, I can't say for sure if it makes the run any easier, but it would seem pretty clear that shrinking would make a lot of the game trivial because it was designed for a large car in mind. So, this combined with the fact that getting the glitch is really hard (took me 30 seconds or so in the video i linked, but I just hopped on now and spent like 2-3 minutes unsuccessfully getting it) would take a lot of fun out of getting the best time. It would basically come down to resetting till you get the shrink glitch fast, then racing through the game in basically a straight line. And, of course, you have to redo the glitch in every section so it would kill a ton of runs if you don't get it fairly quickly. I'd rather see the best times come down to pure performance, rather than quick glitch execution.

As far as routing skill is concerned , this would trivialize that decision even further. As it stands there are still some deviations from the "fastest path" based on how much shrink you have to spare. There's also the decision as to whether or not to use shrink or inflatiboat to do The Memorial and the Demo Derby/Ice Floe/Mountain Climb/Rest of the game stuff. This would also trivialize that choice and make permashrink + inflatiboat the go-to combo.

So I guess I've basically come to the decision that I'd like to see it fixed because I think a no-glitch run is more fun and resembles more how the game was meant to be played.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

gently caress that it's speed runs no take backsies

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GNU Order posted:

getting the glitch is really hard (took me 30 seconds or so in the video i linked, but I just hopped on now and spent like 2-3 minutes unsuccessfully getting it)

Really? I haven't had trouble getting it. There isn't really any timing involved, other than getting through the menu fast enough before the meter runs out, which shouldn't be an issue if you're doing runs.

e: as for the menu route, there isn't a whole lot of menuing, for the first area, start with shrink, then glitch shrink switching to music box, then glitch music box into shrink. Second area, you've got shrink equipped so at the first garage, you glitch shrink to music box then glitch music box to boat. After the triathalon, switch to shrink. Then, in the third area, at some point you glitch shrink to boat and that's it for the run.

I'm pretty sure music box saves time in both areas. In the first area, it's free, since you'd have to switch back to shrink anyways. In the second area, I'm not sure. It's only a couple seconds, so it's probably worth it.

It's not like the perma shrink is a straight upgrade. Stages like the baseball stage lose time with perma shrink, due to the extra distance that you have to travel to hit the waypoints while small. As skill goes up, the shrink management gets better, and the non permashrink route might even pass the permashrink route, at least for certain sections.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 14, 2014

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Oh my god i didn't realize just holding down the button the whole time guaranteed the glitch works

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

DeliciousBees posted:

Edit: Ah crap, saw that it breaks some challenges too. We'll definitely fix it for challenges/main game, but I'll keep an eye on responses to see if we fix it for speedruns or just leave it.
I'm not on the level as some of the other people in here (although I do have a sub-20 time, so I figure that at least slightly qualifies me to speak on this), but I feel like it would make things easier but not so easy as to make it pointless.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The glitch would make 100% speedruns cool. You glitch the multiplier to get enough money to buy everything. You still have to grind out a bunch of other stuff, but at least there's that.

I don't even know what 100% is, though. My number went from 99.1 to 99.4 to 99.5 and I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything. If it requires the rotate a bunch achievement, then I'm pretty sure that's the limiting factor by far, so it's kind of a moot point.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I really like the resource management with the car shrinker. It adds a lot of depth and skill to the run as you're constantly balancing between timesaving usage and usage for safety/emergencies. While you could crank out some faster times, negating this part of the run would make the the run itself much more bland as options become the only competitive choice (Town Shrinker + Crowd Attractor, City/Mountains Shrinker + Boat).

I'm trying to think of an easily comparable game, but right now I can only think of ALTTP. Any% has one major trick and afterwards has a few optimizations and is really more about the novelty. However, a non-Save and Quit run for ALTTP is a lot longer, more interesting, and cooler to see and do more than once.

I feel like Roundabout follows a much less extreme, but still comparable situation. You strip a lot out of the run itself by negating the Car Shrinker, and while it's faster it's just a lot less interesting. A lot (all of them?) of the gameplay challenges weren't designed with a shrunk car in mind, so having that perma-shrink makes huge chunks of an already short run ignorable.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Also Dan I saw you join the "The Spook Masters" on Steam via Twitter, and there's totally going to be a an article 10 years down the line calling you racist because of that.

DeliciousBees
Jul 15, 2001

Studio posted:

Also Dan I saw you join the "The Spook Masters" on Steam via Twitter, and there's totally going to be a an article 10 years down the line calling you racist because of that.

Oh great, ANOTHER thing I'll be embarrassed about 10 years later. I miss the days when I could just take a group about skeletons at face value :(

Also, thanks for everyone's feedback on this. I'm hoping to have a build out in the next few days that'll fix the "oops I set a bad resolution" bug, and I'll let you guys where I fall on this for that build once we've made up our mind here.

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't even know what 100% is, though. My number went from 99.1 to 99.4 to 99.5 and I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything.

Last patch removed the spinning achievement from the 100% requirement, which would have bumped up your percentage automatically. If you send me your save (dan at nogoblin dot com) I'll take a look at it and see what you're missing.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh, how do you feel about keeping passenger dialogue on for esports mode, preferably as a toggle. Would be pretty nifty if someone wanted to hastily show the game off at some sort of Awesome or Summer event.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm a day late on noticing this, but here's Rock Paper Shotgun's "Wot I Think" for Roundabout.

Also, since I haven't posted in the thread before, just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed the game, from the cutscenes through the puzzling to rooting round for all the collectibles, and I've recommended it to a few friends.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Finally got around to playing Roundabout and yeah this is a pretty rad game. For how weird it is in concept it's amazing how smooth it actually is to play. Just got up to the city and then spent the next half hour jumping all over the place collecting poo poo and doing challenges.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

I'm a day late on noticing this, but here's Rock Paper Shotgun's "Wot I Think" for Roundabout.
:psyduck: What is going on in the comments there with that Hex guy?
I giggled at No Goblin because if you added a B it turned it into a silly word then went on my way.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Everything about that is gamers.txt as gently caress.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Maybe he's a goblin or dates a goblin.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Croccers posted:

I giggled at No Goblin because if you added a B it turned it into a silly word then went on my way.

:psyboom:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Croccers posted:

:psyduck: What is going on in the comments there with that Hex guy?

DeliciousBees could probably explain this better but I'll take a stab. An article went out sometime last year about where the name "No Goblin" came from. It came from a colleague of theirs referring to very, very common video game tropes as "goblins". When someone would try to run an idea past him like a cover-based shooter or a retro-styled side-scrolling platformer, he would reply "No. No goblins." They took this as their company name because they want to try to make games that are different and driven by fresh ideas.

Of course, people took this the wrong way. Instead of interpreting it as "There's already a ton of great games coming out with these tried-and-true mechanics so we want to try new things so we don't get lost in the crowd," like a rational person, they took it as an attack on popular games-- probably imagining him saying "Man, those games suck. My game ideas are way better. gently caress, I'm gonna make my company name an insult about how lovely those mainstream games are. That'll show 'em."

Long story short, Dan Teasdale is a pretentious rear end in a top hat and you shouldn't support his company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No Goblin is just about the most innocuous company name ever people are idiots.

• Locked thread