Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

:siren::siren:FEMINISM:siren::siren:

:siren:Release dates::siren:
September 20, 2014 :japan:
October 24, 2014 :911:, :britain:
October 25, 2014 :australia:

After the relative success of Bayonetta 1, Sega decided to fund a sequel. However, they ran out of money and Nintendo stepped in to save the day. Subsequently, unless Nintendo ever want to release the game on other platforms, Bayonetta 2 is going to stay on the Wii U, so please don't talk about it. Thankfully, it doesn't look like Nintendo have tried to stifle the creative minds at Platinum Games.

Quite the contrary. Our titular witch returns with a new look and a much brighter outlook.

Seriously. This game is pretty.

What are we dealing with here?
The Bayonetta series are hack and slash third-person action games, in the same vein as the Devil May Cry series. The original Bayonetta was also directed by the man who started the DMC series, Hideki Kamiya. While the sequel is being directed by a different dude (Yusuke Hashimoto, producer of the first Bayonetta), don't worry, Kamiya is still supervising and writing the story, so we won't miss that batshit Kamiya flavour. For those of you who are new to Platinum Games, their standard for games is crazy, over-the-top CLIMAX ACTION. Basically, you play as Bayonetta, a witch who has to kill demons or else get dragged into Hell as part of her witch contract.

Do I need to play the first game before I play this one?
Plot-wise, no, although Kamiya says you'll enjoy the sequel more if you do. Convoluted plot aside, Bayonetta is a game you really need to experience for yourself, as it's one of the best games of the last console generation. Luckily, the original Bayonetta is being bundled with the sequel.

Bayonetta on Wii U is a straight port of the Xbox 360 version, with some Nintendo flavour added. Features:
- Touch controls added for the Gamepad
- Additional costumes added (Costumes revealed so far: Link, Princess Peach, Princess Daisy, Samus)

- THIS
- Dual-audio tracks (English and Japanese)
- Otherwise, it's the same as the original (or they haven't revealed everything yet)

Story
Jeanne's soul gets dragged down to Inferno and Bayonetta has to try and get her back before her body dies. Most characters from the first game return, with the new addition of Loki, a mysterious Yu-Gi-Oh cosplayer and the Lumen Sage, Bayonetta's new rival. Other than that, get ready for some more amazing set pieces as is now expected for Platinum games.

Gameplay
Bayonetta involves chaining together combos using punches and kicks. Being able to equip weapons to your hands and feet means there is a shitload of weapon combinations you can use, with each weapon behaving differently whether it's equipped to the hand or foot. Building your combos will give you magic orbs, which can be used either to kill more Angels better or to help yourself in combat. An important thing for newcomers to the game is that combos can be extended; instead of tapping the punch and kick buttons to perform combos, hold each button down instead. Each weapon has a different charge modifier, so experiment!

Most combos will end in a Wicked Weave, which is Bayonetta using her hair to summon the fists and boots of her demonic contractor. Wicked weaves are important for dealing lots of damage. This concept was expanded on in the sequel, giving us Umbran Climax. Umbran Climax relies on building your magic gauge in order to unleash a massive flurry of Wicked Weaves, which lasts until your magic runs out. For people who've played the first game, it's like Bayonetta's boss mode. Basically, Umbran Climax boosts the amount of damage you do and your range, and tend to end with one of Bayonetta's demon buddies popping out as a finisher.

Alternatively, instead of using your magic for Umbran Climax, you can single out individual enemies and execute a Torture Attack. These cost a whole bar (or eight orbs) of magic to perform, and usually involve some sort of button masking minigame, but will tend to kill the enemy in one hit. It's up to you whether you want to save your magic for Umbran Climax, or for Torture Attacks.

A large part of the gameplay is build around dodging. Being able to dodge attacks at the right moment will get you Witch Time. This is basically bullet time; it slows down your enemies for a short period of time, allowing you to attack enemies freely.

Muspelheim
Alfheims make a return from the first game but with a different name. They're hidden throughout the game and aim to challenge the player by enforcing rules in combat, such as 'attack enemies using Witch Time' or 'use Wicked Weaves'. Bayonetta 2 seems like it'll be adding new challenges.

Multiplayer
Bayonetta has a multiplayer mode, known as Tag Climax. This online play mode allows you to compete with either a friend, stranger or computer controlled partner. You fight against enemies encountered in the main game, and you can bet Halos, the amount you bet dictating the difficulty. If you do better than your friend, you get a large return on Halos, and you'll get more if you bet more. It's basically a fun way to grind for Halos. Characters other than Bayonetta are playable in Tag Climax, with Jeanne and Rodin being confirmed.

Accessories
Acessories are equippable items that aid combat in one way or another. Accessories confirmed to have returned from the first game are Pulley's Butterfly, Infernal Communicator and the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa.

Weapons
Nintendo have already revealed a lot of the new weapons, which makes me wonder what is left to discover.

Love is Blue
Bayonetta's new signature handguns to go with her new look. Scarborough Fair was what she used in the first game.

Rakshasa
Dual-wielded Indian curved swords, equippable on both hands and feet.

Alruna
Spiked whips, probably a reference to W101. Equippable on both hands and feet.

Kafka
A bow that fires poisoned arrows. Hands only.

Chernabog
A triple-bladed sythe. Hands only.

Undine
The switching elemental weapons, similar to Durga from the first game. These can switch between fire and ice. Equippable on both hands and feet.

Takemikazuchi
A big fuckoff hammer with the lightning element, the name being that of a Japanese thunder god and possibly a nod to Okami. Hands only.

Enemies
Bayonetta 2 expands on the first game by introducing Demonic enemies. So on top of beating Angels into submission you get to play around with the Demons too.

Of course, this game wouldn't be complete without a rival. Be prepared for the most amazing spectacle fights.

Videos
E3 2013 trailer
E3 2014 trailer
Nintendo Direct
The Time Has Come trailer
Did You Miss Me? trailer
Nintendo Treehouse (gameplay video)
Nintendo cosplay

Other media
Scans from Famitsu
Follow the Bayonetta tag on the Platinum games developer blog for more information about everything
There's Digital Foundry's take on the game, if you care about such things.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This game is basically the entire reason I still have my Wii U plugged in at this point. I didn't even realize it was gonna come out that soon! stooooked

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm excited

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I checked on the Wii U store last week and the game will be clocking in at a whopping 17 GBs (not sure if that's both games). Assuming you want to buy it digitally like I do you'll either want to clear a lot of space from the default hard drive or just get a nice big USB stick to stuff in the back (God help you if you got the launch 8GB Wii U).

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I like bayonetta's new look and hope to pick this up and a wii u sometime before the year is over

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's gonna be ages till I get to 2 since I'll have to play through 1 first once they come out. But its great that they're bundling them since I never got to play the original. Definitely looking forward to this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WeaponBoy posted:

I checked on the Wii U store last week and the game will be clocking in at a whopping 17 GBs (not sure if that's both games). Assuming you want to buy it digitally like I do you'll either want to clear a lot of space from the default hard drive or just get a nice big USB stick to stuff in the back (God help you if you got the launch 8GB Wii U).

They're both around 17GB each, you're not gonna be able to fit both games on the internal HDD.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm pumped for the long drawn out discussions these games will spark between me and my feminist girlfriend :v:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I am pumped for the severe amount of judgment and disdain my fiancee will be throwing at me as I play this. Off-TV mode is probably gonna be a godsend.

Though I too will need to play through 1 first. I hope I'll be better at it this time around. I couldn't get it into it at first, but I think watching Chip Cheezum's LPs of Platinum games has really helped me twig onto how they work.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

So pumped to rock the poo poo out of this game just as long as no one is around to see me play it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I hope the world can see me play this game especially ISIS

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bayonetta 1 was, as far as I'm concerned, the pinnacle of its genre until Revengeance came out, and I can't wait to see how they will have improved upon the original from what they've learned in later games. Time to put it on order, specifying that it be delivered in a nondescript brown box that I will only retrieve from the hallway once I have made certain that nobody is around to see, so that I can close all the blinds in my apartment and sever all connections to the outside world while I play it, lest anyone know of my shame.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I would play this game if it expanded upon the original more, but eh

costumes are cool though, Fox one especially

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The first game had absolutely perfect boss progression.

In the first boss fight, you suplexed a dragon.

The final boss fight ends with Bayonetta summoning Satan so he (she?) can punch God SO HARD that his (her?) soul flies into the sun.

I am not sure how they can beat that, but I look forward to seeing them try.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hopefully the boss fights are better than the first Bayonetta's. For as much as I liked the game, I could not get over how it felt like a chore fighting every boss that was not human-sized or Sapientia. anything could happen really, but the 8-minute trailer from a week ago has me excited and I can't wait to play as Rodin in his Santa outfit.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Fortitudo is fine imo

Temperentia and Iustitia as well as the last boss had very annoying aspects to them though tbf

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Pretty psyched for this, I missed the first game so this is gonna be a great deal for me
For those interested, the game doesn't manage to lock down 60fps at all times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8btNuuCY90
Still a pretty solid framerate and it only occasionally approaches 30fps. Good enough for me.
One thing I wondered about was her lack of reflection when running across the water, is that a purposeful decision because she's a witch?

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I was kinda indifferent to this game because I never played the first one and then I found out it's made by Platinum Games and that the first one is gonna be included with the sequel so I'm now I'm definitely psyched for it. And it comes out around my birthday too so that's neat.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

I really hope that Enzo is a co-op character.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

conceitedguy posted:

I really hope that Enzo is a co-op character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiHjOX8LWtg

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I have this cool little leather-bound notebook that I'm going to use to keep track of how many shameful boners I get playing this game. Once the pages are filled, I'll beat myself over the head with it.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
So, the latest Famitsu revealed a new unlockable weapon: http://i.imgur.com/vt35cNb.jpg

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm pretty stoked for this game despite knowing nothing about the original. It coming bundled with the first game sealed the deal. My previous experience with Platinum games consists of Okami. Pretty much. I've got a copy on order. We're doing this!

Also, OP, you forgot about the Fox McCloud costume! It was revealed at the Bayonetta Direct last week.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

New blog post on the character designs http://platinumgames.com/2014/09/19/character-design-pt-2-luka-rodin-and-enzo/.

Anyway, Bayonetta 2 is getting released in Japan tomorrow, and I hear that some people got it early as well, so if you're trying to avoid spoilers, watch out. It's interesting that there was no demo for Japan, makes me certain that there isn't going to be one for the rest of the world either :(

Princess Putout
Aug 10, 2004

HI, I IS DAISY
I didn't realize how much I wanted a Bayonetta 2 until I found out it existed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I get my holiday bonuses, I'm seriously considering getting a Wii U and replacing the TV my daughter broke so we can play this. Otherwise I think I have to wait for tax returns before I consider it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't know if this is the case for mainland Europe, but here in the UK the first game is not being bundled free with the second. The bundle edition costs £10 more than the one with just the new game. :(

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

E: apparently my phone has decided that today is Double Post Day

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 19, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
That's true in the US too, the game is cheaper unpacked on the eShop.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The usual sites have started to stream some early release copies.

Looks good. Nice music too.

[e]: Cool little non-spoiler, demons drop red orbs like in DMC.
[e2]: Lumen Sage fight is pretty awesome too!

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 19, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LemonAIDS posted:

So pumped to rock the poo poo out of this game just as long as no one is around to see me play it.

Same. My gal thought I was a not-so-secret gross perv for liking Bayonetta, but equipping Lt. Col. Kilgore on the feet and showing her some sick nasty combos made her realize that it's a great game. She bought me a Wii U just for Bayonetta 2.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sorry to double post, but I just read the bummer news that Platinum couldn't keep a stable 60FPS rate on the game... :(

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/09/bayonetta-2-performance/

Still getting it. Of course.

Edit: Ok, according to Digital Foundry, Wonderful 101 had worse framerate variance than this game, and I barely noticed W101's framerate changing at all. And Bayonetta 2 has no screen tearing at any point, so I'm making my peace with this.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 19, 2014

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
This game is going to be absolutely nutsssssssssssss. I am beyond stoked. poo poo like this is just next level

http://platinumgames.com/2014/07/04/figuring-out-damage-motion/

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you forgot to mention the best revealed costume for it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I got excited there for a little bit, then shook my fist at Japan.

Speaking of Japan, Famitsu gave Bayonetta 2 a 10/9/10/9, or 38 out of 40. Is a high Famitsu score at all indicative of a great game anymore?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Suaimhneas posted:

I don't know if this is the case for mainland Europe, but here in the UK the first game is not being bundled free with the second. The bundle edition costs £10 more than the one with just the new game. :(

I think it's the same everywhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

enojy posted:

I got excited there for a little bit, then shook my fist at Japan.

Speaking of Japan, Famitsu gave Bayonetta 2 a 10/9/10/9, or 38 out of 40. Is a high Famitsu score at all indicative of a great game anymore?

Not at all, but it doesn't change that the game is incredibly good, probably.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I can't be sure if this video is legit, because if it is, then Bayonetta on the Wii U looks like a very disappointing port. The colours look really washed out and the reason the 360 version looked so great was because the blacks really popped. No clue whether the gameplay is as smooth as the xbox though, it's just a comparison between the 360 and the Wii U versions of the first cutscene of the game.

Also, I dunno if famitsu scores mean anything, but the first game got 40/40, so that might be saying something.

And I know for a fact that the Australian version of Bayonetta 2 comes with the game. Then again, Australians do pay a lot more for their games so :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

yoshesque posted:

I can't be sure if this video is legit, because if it is, then Bayonetta on the Wii U looks like a very disappointing port. The colours look really washed out and the reason the 360 version looked so great was because the blacks really popped. No clue whether the gameplay is as smooth as the xbox though, it's just a comparison between the 360 and the Wii U versions of the first cutscene of the game.

Also, I dunno if famitsu scores mean anything, but the first game got 40/40, so that might be saying something.

And I know for a fact that the Australian version of Bayonetta 2 comes with the game. Then again, Australians do pay a lot more for their games so :v:

I'm skeptical, it really looks like somebody just applied a darkening effect over the whole game and I can't think of a reason why they'd do that for a more recent port.

• Locked thread