Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, the Blood Sword is great... when you can steal it from Gafgarion back in Chapter 2. By chapter 4 it's pretty lovely. It does heal you for 100% of the damage you deal, but that damage is pretty low so it's usually not worth it. And of course, it only works on melee attacks; it doesn't turn swordskills into draining attacks, which would be awesome.

Bahamut, Cyclops, and Zodiac are typically non-elemental. Leviathan is actually one of the few attacks that's Water elemental, which is a separate element from Ice in this game.

And move-find items only disappear if someone collects an item on that square. It doesn't matter if someone steps on that square (and sets off a trap) otherwise. Conversely, the traps never go away. If the item has already been collected from a tile, even someone with Move-Find Item will set off the trap there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, the Blood Sword is great... when you can steal it from Gafgarion back in Chapter 2. By chapter 4 it's pretty lovely. It does heal you for 100% of the damage you deal, but that damage is pretty low so it's usually not worth it. And of course, it only works on melee attacks; it doesn't turn swordskills into draining attacks, which would be awesome.

Bahamut, Cyclops, and Zodiac are typically non-elemental. Leviathan is actually one of the few attacks that's Water elemental, which is a separate element from Ice in this game.

And move-find items only disappear if someone collects an item on that square. It doesn't matter if someone steps on that square (and sets off a trap) otherwise. Conversely, the traps never go away. If the item has already been collected from a tile, even someone with Move-Find Item will set off the trap there.

Oh okay, so many errors! I guess they made those summons non-elemental so as to make them more viable in the late game, but then having Bahamut, Cyclops, AND Zodiac just seems a bit redundant. Oh well I guess they are the flashiest thing in the game, so the devs might have just been having fun with them. I was also always wondering about whether or not water was actually a separate element or just a typo...since there are no lack of those in the game.

EDIT: New video is up!

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 11, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Wow, that battle was crazy. I liked them themed battle of a bunch of flying "Valkyries" on the Valkyries level. But I can't believe the modder gave them those crazy stats and equipment, gave them Maintenance so you can't steal it, and completely forgot about invite. It's pretty clear the player wasn't meant to reap that huge harvest. Not only did you get the Genji stuff, the Chantage perfume, and a Holy Lance, but you got both of the good items from Nelveska Temple you missed (the best spear and the best shield). The other Lancers all had super-rare stuff as well.

But yeah, for future battles, remember that your chance to find the good items is 100-Brave. So when you left Lavian at 56 Brave, you only had a 44% chance of getting the good items; no shocker it didn't work out so well. Personally I'd take your item finder down to the teens in Brave stat if you actually care about the item. Just imagine how tedious that was in Vanilla FFT, where brave-lowering skills had about a 50% chance to hit, and you had to raise Brave by FOUR loving POINTS at a time, instead of 100. It sucked.

Word of warning: if you take your new Valkyrie into battle, lower her Faith before the battle ends. If characters have about a 93 or 94 permanent Faith at the end of a battle, they will leave your team permanently. Between 84 and 94, I think, you get a warning at the end of battle where the character gets all preachy. The same thing happens with a super-low Brave character, although no one would really do that, since the character would spend the first several turns of every battle as a chicken if you got close.

Also, each Deep Dungeon level has five potential exits, I think. So if the guide you're using doesn't show them all, you might want to find a backup guide.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unless this hack changed the formula, yo0u actually have less chance to get good move-find items with high brave. That's pretty much Rafa's only job in vanilla.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

New video is up! This was a rather strange group of enemies to be fighting.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hmm, either you just had bad Move-Find luck, even after taking careful preparations, or the modder switched the good/bad items (so you find the good item Brave% of the time instead of 100-Brave% of the time). Guess time will tell...

And that fight was in the original game too, and it's so silly. Trees have such bad Move and Jump stats that they can't even traverse the level.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Hmm, either you just had bad Move-Find luck, even after taking careful preparations, or the modder switched the good/bad items (so you find the good item Brave% of the time instead of 100-Brave% of the time). Guess time will tell...

And that fight was in the original game too, and it's so silly. Trees have such bad Move and Jump stats that they can't even traverse the level.

I ran into the same bad luck to some extent in the next level but I also managed to pull off another legendary haul of loot! My items are getting really strong.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And another episode is up! I finally dealt with those pesky undead...

EDIT: Episode 60 is up now, didn't want to do a triple post.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 15, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Looks like the Move-Find items still work like in Vanilla, and you just had a run of bad luck for a while back there.

If you plan on keeping your Summoner undead, you may check to see if Moogle will still heal her. Whether healing abilities will heal or hurt undead is hard to predict in FFT (for example, I'm pretty sure Chakra, Wish, etc. still heal undead), and I don't remember which ones work and which don't. I also didn't notice if this mod prevents undead from Crystal/boxilizing or not (I skipped a lot of the undead fight). In vanilla, undead had a 50/50 chance of reviving or turning into a box/chest when their counter reached 0. Some mods seem to make them always revive at 0, or a 50/50 chance of reviving or staying at 0 and checking again every turn, etc. So depending on how it's done, an undead unit might be more or less immune to permadeath.

That Bow you found also had a range of 8, which is the same as a gun and not as hampered by line-of-sight since it can arc over obstacles. That's pretty good. On the other hand, it doesn't have innate Concentrate on regular attacks, and will lose range going uphill (as you're usually doing in this game).

The Grand Armor has Always: Regen - Reraise in this mod. So it's super-beefy armor with built-in Chantage. This mod actually made most of the end-game equipment much better than it was in Vanilla, which is weird.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

The Grand Armor has Always: Regen - Reraise in this mod. So it's super-beefy armor with built-in Chantage. This mod actually made most of the end-game equipment much better than it was in Vanilla, which is weird.

I think the mod creators must have buffed the equipment to balance against some of the most difficult encounters they added. Whether or not this was really a good idea is kind of an open question.

Also, the next video is up! Only one stage to the Deep Dungeon left!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I think FFT only has two ways to handle enemy levels: Fixed levels (which it seems like Rebirth still uses in story missions; you frequently seemed to outlevel storyline enemies by quite a lot), and scaled levels. Scaled levels are based on the highest-level unit in your entire party, not just who is brought into battle. So if you have a bunch of level 50 units, and one level 90 unit, you will encounter level ~90 units in most level-scaled battles. Some battles also add levels to that (e.g. highest-level unit + 20 levels), which you mostly see in the Deep Dungeon and some rare difficult battles. So after inviting the level 88 Veronica, all your missions were being scaled off her level, since I think it was the highest on your team.

Good luck on the next mission. My strategy usually involved bringing in a couple teleporting dual-wielding stat-breakers to take his MA down on the first turn.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I think FFT only has two ways to handle enemy levels: Fixed levels (which it seems like Rebirth still uses in story missions; you frequently seemed to outlevel storyline enemies by quite a lot), and scaled levels. Scaled levels are based on the highest-level unit in your entire party, not just who is brought into battle. So if you have a bunch of level 50 units, and one level 90 unit, you will encounter level ~90 units in most level-scaled battles. Some battles also add levels to that (e.g. highest-level unit + 20 levels), which you mostly see in the Deep Dungeon and some rare difficult battles. So after inviting the level 88 Veronica, all your missions were being scaled off her level, since I think it was the highest on your team.

Good luck on the next mission. My strategy usually involved bringing in a couple teleporting dual-wielding stat-breakers to take his MA down on the first turn.

That is a clever way to do it, I might consider that. Given how much work I have to do today I don't know if I'll have the video up until tomorrow because I assume it's going to take a while to get Zodiac. I don't remember having any real problems with it in Vanilla, but that's probably because I just ignored the item pick ups.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I wouldn't try to get the item pickups on the same run as getting Zodiac. If you go back to that stage later there are (were?) easy battles, such as a bunch of pig enemies, making getting the items easy.

And getting Zodiac on one character is probably not that bad, at least in Vanilla. Since it's the easiest way to get the spell, I would usually bring in 5 summoners, which made things a bit trickier.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I wouldn't try to get the item pickups on the same run as getting Zodiac. If you go back to that stage later there are (were?) easy battles, such as a bunch of pig enemies, making getting the items easy.

And getting Zodiac on one character is probably not that bad, at least in Vanilla. Since it's the easiest way to get the spell, I would usually bring in 5 summoners, which made things a bit trickier.

Good point. I'll do a Zodiac run and an item run then.

EDIT: I've been working on getting MP Switch, and I'm almost ready to do my run.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 20, 2014

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Sorry for the delay, but I've finally completed the Deep Dungeon! I think this is by far the longest video in the series, so it might take a while to process, but I'll post a link in the OP once it's up and ready!

EDIT: And it's good to go!

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 21, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Congrats on getting it all.

So yeah, the reason MP Switch didn't activate is the same as when any reaction doesn't activate (and why you were doing damage to that Dragoner half the time, and draining MP half the time): it activates Brave% of the time. Your summoner only has 69 Brave, so there's a 31% chance of it not activating, even if she has MP. The amount of MP she has doesn't matter, as long as it's >0.

And yeah, the sword situation for Samurai is kinda messed up. There's only one each of the two best katana, and if you have it equipped you can't use it for Draw Out. Plus, the chance of a katana breaking is equal to its WP, I believe. So the best katanas have the highest chances of breaking when you use them for Draw Out, and are basically irreplaceable (you can theoretically catch them from Ninjas at like level 98 and 99, but gently caress that). Plus, as you said, they don't offer much compared to a knight sword (then again, almost nothing does. Knight swords are pretty overpowered compared to all the competition).

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

The series is finished! Thanks to all of you for following along with me through this game and providing interesting comments in this thread! This was my first LP but you all made it a good experience. Hope to see you around the forums in the future!

EDIT: I also forgot to apologize for all the verbal ticks I have in the final video. Sorry for so much "obviously...", "so...", and "uh..." in the videos, I have a lot more appreciation for people who can improv Youtube commentary without falling into using those all the time after having gone through doing this series!

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 22, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hey, thanks a bunch for doing this series of videos for an awesome mod of an awesome game. It was really great. I'd definitely watch another LP of yours if you ever did one.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey, thanks a bunch for doing this series of videos for an awesome mod of an awesome game. It was really great. I'd definitely watch another LP of yours if you ever did one.

Thanks I appreciate it! :hfive:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks for doing this Let's Play and pretty thoroughly showing off what the mod had to offer!

It seems like Rebirth really was focused on "rebalancing" the classes, and managed to steer clear of trying to just plain pump up the difficulty. Hard to say how well it succeeded (it seemed to buff up a lot of classes that were really strong already), but adding all the innate support abilities and such added variety to the gameplay. This seems like a good mod for relatively inexperienced players, since I didn't see anything come up that I really thought was bullshit as far as difficulty goes.

Anyway, thanks again! Good luck on your future endeavors.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
I really enjoyed following this LP. I wish I had something more eloquent to add but I hope you'll do more in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Thanks again. I agree adding the innate skills was a huge part of the addition of variety that the mod offers. It's one of those things that's so big I forgot to mention it in my final thoughts!

• Locked thread