Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I'm enjoying this new take on a favorite game.

Just finished the Thieves' Fort, and a few minor notes: first, the weather and terrain can affect spells. Bolt is stronger in rain, which is why Miluda took more damage from it than the other two elemental spells.

Second, when Zalbag says "Hi, Anybody there?" -- I suspect the original script must have said "moshi moshi". That's the phrase used to answer the telephone in Japanese, which might lead to the "Anybody there?" translation. However, "moshi moshi" can also be used when you're checking if someone is conscious/awake, which is Zalbag's use of it, here. I'm not sure what a better translation would be, but I can see how we got what we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
In the Lenalia Plateau, you mention that "in FFT's class society, the people who are just barely in the upper class defend the upper class most strongly."

This is true of all of a society's classes - those who barely squeak into a class are the strongest defenders - and appears to be a core dynamic of human nature, seen in modern societies as well as throughout history.

Those who barely make it into a class have the most to lose if a class is threatened/changed; if qualification relaxes, more people join the class, and those who were "just barely" are now also less special and the privileges are watered down. If the class becomes more restrictive, they risk falling into a lower class. (I understand a similar dynamic goes on in cliques, as well.)

This contributes to the timeless aspects of FFT's story, and makes it relevant (to a greater or lesser extent).

I'm enjoying your in-depth analysis; I'm seeing aspects of the story I hadn't noticed previously (such as some of Ramza's complex feelings towards his brothers).

• Locked thread