Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
I'm sure some of you will remember my project car I had going a couple of years ago. It kind of got put on the back burner for a while, as these things tend to happen. I got married, had a kid and life was good. How ever these things tend to take away from the hobbies in more ways than one. But, it's time go get this baby done. jhcain's thread on his 66 gave me the motivation I needed to start a new thread. Things that have happened since my first thread.

The motor is built!

That's about it really. Today I'm ordering the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, hydraulic conversion kit (T56 swap remember?) and a modern digital gauge cluster. This should allow me to mate the transmission to the motor on our rolling rack and start building the front end. I originally wanted to the a fancy tubular K member and suspension, but I don't think finances are going to allow it. I'm going to stick with the stock K member and do tubular A arm's and some other basic bolt ons to keep this project moving forward. I can always upgrade later.

Anyways here's some refresher pictures of what's happened so far.

The stock rear speakers are some funky size like 4x7. I've made a plate that bolts in below the factory pan that holds 6x9's and doesn't require me to drill or cut into the car in any way. I covered it in dynamat so keep noise or rattles to a minimum, I'll also put some in the car around the speaker area.

This is the gauge cluster I ordered.

Link to the old thread if you have archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3231228

EatMySpork fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Aww hell yeah, it's raining B-Bodies up in here.

Glad to see this project back on track man, I'll be watching.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Hooray for the MOPAR B Body!

You've taken on way more body work than I could ever deal with - brave soul.

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Looking forward to watching this one. Nice body work.

I did a '69 R/T resto years ago but compared to this project that one was about as hard as eating a ham sandwich.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes! More old mopars please.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

jhcain posted:

Hooray for the MOPAR B Body!

You've taken on way more body work than I could ever deal with - brave soul.

I think I took on way more body work than I could ever deal with too. There were plenty of days where hitting with a hammer and dolly was more therapeutic than productive.

I learned a lot in the 18 months it took to do though, which will make the next car that much easier. I'm thinking 70 road runner, though I've always been partial to the 69 Super Bee too, and we've never done one. We'll see.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

gently caress yes! More old mopars please.

As you wish, my dad is mostly done with his 68 Hemi Charger. Here's a picture of a plane crash, check out the side mirror on the truck.

Sad story about this car. We had it done, motor in and running but the carbs needed tuning badly. It was on its way to the shop in that picture to get tuned and driving. They got everything dialed in and good when we took it out for a drive. It only gets second gear and no reverse (auto). Well gently caress that's no good. Transmission has to come out. Turns out the guy who rebuilt it did a piss poor job.

While putting it on the rack to drop the tranny we noticed a knock from the back of the motor, but hoped it was the hosed up transmission. We dropped the pan on it to be sure, and to our dismay the #7 and #8 rod bearings were spun from lack of lubrication. A oil channel got pinched from a incorrect length bolt. Motor comes back out with the transmission to get rebuilt.

It's getting broken in on a stand today and coming home tomorrow and back in the car this week, baring any more issues.

And that is a lesson in paying attention to the details. 1 bolt.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Goodies have arrived!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Glad to see this project again, the only problem is now there's 3 mopar threads and I'm insanely jealous of you guys :argh:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Do you still have that awesome flame paint job on it?
Roughly how much do you have invested in this so far? I'm so loving jealous, the 68 is my dream car.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
I do still have that paint job, just realized I didn't add any good ones of it painted, duh. I have maybe 10-15k in it. I don't have the exact number but that's probably a pretty close number.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That is a really sick paint job. It's subtle and not at all gaudy.

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Nice paint job.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
black Charger best Charger

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Beautiful job on the body work.

I had a '68 Charger back in the 80's. It was painted Duke's of Hazard orange and had some minor rust issues (and I was a poor student and could change neither of these things, because all my money went to the engine), but it was a great car with a 440 that made really great rumbling noises.

Would be nice to have it back now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ugh this car is so loving beautiful already...

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Thanks! Here's some more pictures.

Rear stripe, it changes color based on the lighting since it has the same color flake in it as the flames.

Mounting the swing pedals since the car was originally auto.

Dash in.

Rear R/T badge, it actually took a few years to find one. They only make reproductions every few years and all of the original ones I found looked like they were pulled up from the bottom of the ocean. It's a crappy picture.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
More parts arrived, this time it's front brakes.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Gauges from Dakota Digital arrived.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My wallet is having sympathy paints.

That's going to look loving awesome. Are you going to be running a carb or EFI?

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Powershift posted:

My wallet is having sympathy paints.

That's going to look loving awesome. Are you going to be running a carb or EFI?

I decided to run a carb for now for time and $$$ sake. EFI did cross my mind though.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
I've always kind of liked the look of front spoilers on classic cars, however there's not much available for Chargers. All the ones I've seen are people using a spoiler produced for the 69 Camaro and adapting it to fit a Charger. I don't really like the look of that particular spoiler and I have everything I need to make one, so lets do it!

First here's a picture of what I'm talking about, a spoiler on a Charger. Looks like the Camaro one, but some guy sells these.

Looks ok, kinda cheap and plasicy looking for me, and it's $200.

This is a rough sketch I've done so far. I haven't taken any measurements of the car but I'm just roughing out what I want to do. I'd paint this black then put red behind the text so you can read it. I went with the newer Charger logo vs the old because it's easier to read. I might try the old cursive logo to see how it looks though, or drop the text all together. I don't know.

*edit here's the old logo version

Who knows maybe I'll even get a little down force on the front end from it too...

I might go through all the trouble and decide I don't even like it after all, but hey why not.

EatMySpork fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 21, 2014

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

EatMySpork posted:

I've always kind of liked the look of front spoilers on classic cars, however there's not much available for Chargers. All the ones I've seen one are people using a spoiler produced for the 69 Camaro and adapting it to fit a Charger. I don't really like the look of that particular spoiler and I have everything I need to make one, so lets do it!

If you keep moving forward on this, I'm interested. I've been pondering something for my '66. I'd like the factory trunk spoiler and/or, but they are very rare.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

jhcain posted:

If you keep moving forward on this, I'm interested. I've been pondering something for my '66. I'd like the factory trunk spoiler and/or, but they are very rare.

I'll post my results here. At the very least I will build a prototype that makes it on the car.

I think there's a company making reproduction rear spoilers for that car, they're like $475 though...

http://www.superbirdbob.com/acme-products/6667-charger-rear-spoiler/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The old script "Charger" looks much better than the modern version IMO.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Locator posted:

The old script "Charger" looks much better than the modern version IMO.

Agreed:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EatMySpork posted:

I'll post my results here. At the very least I will build a prototype that makes it on the car.

I think there's a company making reproduction rear spoilers for that car, they're like $475 though...

http://www.superbirdbob.com/acme-products/6667-charger-rear-spoiler/

Whoa. I thought that part was long out of (re)production. I'll check it out!

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
I've had the unfortunate responsibility of baby-sitting my dads Hemi car. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Rear brakes ordered.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Tubular A-arms and rear brakes.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Lets put some rubber on the ground.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

EatMySpork posted:

Lets put some rubber on the ground.

:drat:

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
Car looks great. I've been a Pontiac man my self but after I bought my 13 r/t challenger I've been looking to get an older mopar. The price of project cars is whats keeping me at bay for now. Was the car a local find or did you go out of state for it?

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

iamthehans posted:

Car looks great. I've been a Pontiac man my self but after I bought my 13 r/t challenger I've been looking to get an older mopar. The price of project cars is whats keeping me at bay for now. Was the car a local find or did you go out of state for it?

Nice, I wrecked my sisters 92 Firebird more than once as a teenager. The car was a local find. It was rolled in I think 84 (last sticker on the plate) and sat in a field until a buddy of mine grabbed it in the late 90s. It went in one of his storage lots (another field) until I made a trade for it in 08.

We've pulled dozens of cars out of the weeds locally. Back in the 80's and 90's they were a dime a dozen. At one time we had like 10 cars in the back of the family business that got chopped up for parts. Looking back most of them could have been saved, but there was no demand for the small block cars and there wasn't much of a market for reproduction parts, so the torch was as good of option as any.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Got my radio back from being rebuilt by Joes Classic Car Radio. I'm pretty impressed with it. All new guts with aux ins and blue tooth. They did a great job, super clean work. We'll see how she sounds!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

EatMySpork posted:

Got my radio back from being rebuilt by Joes Classic Car Radio. I'm pretty impressed with it. All new guts with aux ins and blue tooth. They did a great job, super clean work. We'll see how she sounds!

Wow this is perfect and exactly what I want to do with my c10!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Valt posted:

Wow this is perfect and exactly what I want to do with my c10!

Yeah, except I wish it had been around ~14 years ago when I cut up the dash of my C10 :(

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's awesome, best of both worlds. I love the way this build is going, keep up the great work!

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Bajaha posted:

That's awesome, best of both worlds. I love the way this build is going, keep up the great work!

Thanks! I'm painting the calipers, I'm done with the rear brakes. I think they came out pretty good.

EatMySpork fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Got a radiator and some tires to go on the rear wheels. Haven't done any more paint due to cold temperatures here. It's suppose to warm up so I might be able to knock out the from calipers. Still working on dropping the rear end also. The U bolts are pretty well fused to the nuts so I need to cut them off. Got the replacements in the mail already.

Grill should start going together soon, and the headliner is mostly in. Windshield can go in soon and the dash can start going together. Then the wiring for that Dakota Digital setup.

• Locked thread