Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Chrono Trigger was awesome, and I think everyone should have the chance to play it--so here it is!

I have the cartridge with me right here.

Unfortunately, I don't have a controller, so I'm going to reconstruct the game from memory.

And, sadly, the game is supposed to run in DOS, and MSPaint doesn't emulate the sound correctly.

The game starts off with one of those clock thingies ticking against a black screen.*

When it stops moving, the title card appears on screen and you are prompted to start. Ominous! We'll be playing the New Game+++++++ option. This allows us to keep all items and levels from previous playthroughs, but ramps up the difficulty while unlocking extra areas and bosses. This is necessary if you want to view all 30 of the potential endings.

The opening track is one of my favourites of all time. It's a brilliant jazz-fusion opening, reminiscent of simpler times.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Opening Theme :megadeath:

Anyways, Chrono Trigger doesn't waste time boring the player with a lengthy intro. No, it tosses you in right away to start having fun, leaving it up to the player to discover the storyline by exploring the environment and reading description on items. But first, it asks you to name your character. The default name is supposed to be "Chrono", but because of limitations in the Super Nintendo cartridges, they had to conserve memory, and they did that by limiting how many characters you can use in a name. That always annoyed me, but hey, what are you gonna do?

There he is, our hero.

Well, shall we keep the default name or call him something else? If you want to call him something else, please specify. Also note that "something else" will not work as a name because we are limited to only four characters.

Like I said, straight into the game. Your mom wakes you up in time to hear Lean's bell ring and you're kicked out the door to enjoy the Millenial Fair. Interesting thing to note: the game deals with a lot of hard-hitting sociological issues. You might not catch this if you don't pay attention to the environmental details or read item descriptions, but the two major cities in the game are called Lean and Poor on purpose, as a commentary on homelessness and poverty in major metropolitan areas. But we'll get into that later.

A particularly laid-back track plays as we are awoken.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Morning Sunlight :megadeath:

What shall we do some exploring, or head straight to the fair?

A) Explore your house.
B) Explore the town of Lean.
C) Go to Luca's house.
D) Man, don't mess about--go straight to the fair.

*All updates appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to a real LP, live or archived, is purely coincidental.

courtesy of FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

My name is Gato and I'm hear to say
Fighting robots is the only way.
Don't do drugs or go to school
Beat up robots and you'll be cool.
People say you should learn to read
Fighting robots is all you need!

Level Seven posted:

He's a metal cat
And a big robot
It's time to say
You fought a lot

courtesy of nine-gear crow

courtesy of poorlywrittennovel

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I Am Just a Box posted:

God, I remember playing this on a bunch of 3.5" floppies. If you can't get the emulation right, make sure to link the best tracks when they come up. This game's soundtrack was ahead of its time.

Ha, almost forgot this. Will go back and add in appropriate soundtrack links when they pop up. First post will be edited accordingly shortly.

nine-gear crow posted:

Really? You didn't even have the sense to pick the "Repeat" thread tag?

0/10. Disliked. Unsubscribed.

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one thread tag worth using :colbert:

This is goin' in the OP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Double-Post. The OP is updated, though, with musical links and other stuff.

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 21, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It was a close vote between the default name, Cron, and Goku, but Goku edged out the win, so that shall be our character's name! Fitting, given that this game was originally intended to be a DBZ RPG before Square lost the rights to the license. Also, by a vast majority of votes, we shall explore our house before going to the Millennial Fair.

Anyways, we look around our bedroom to start with:

Goku doesn't have many belongings. Aside from a bed and dresser full clothes (not pictured), all you own are an old wooden practice sword and pedestal you've reserved for the life-sized life-like statue of yourself you plan to purchase. It is not a purchase you make likely. You have dreamed, ever since you were Lil Goku, of owning a statue of yourself. In fact, your father helped you build that pedestal for the explicit purpose of displaying it before he died in a tragic combine accident.

Anyways, if this were a New Game we would collect the Wooden Sword at this point. However, this is New Game+++++++, so we're not going to bother. I've already acquired the strongest weapon in the game, the Northern Regalia, in one of my earlier playthroughs. We're just gonna play through with that so we can enjoy the game without worrying about grinding or getting stuck on bosses.

Strike a pose.

We go and feed the cat and Goku's mom gives him some money to spend at the Millennial Fair. This is a point where the translation into English wasn't perfect and winds up creating an inadvertent bit of dissonance with Goku's back-story as a poor boy from Lean. See, the original Japanese version of Chrono Trigger had his mother giving him 1000 Yen for doing his household chores. When translated for North America, it now seems as though Goku's mother is a crazy lady who is giving her son a small fortune for feeding the household cat. Heh, it's no matter anyways. We've already got the maximum of $9,999,999 since this a New Game+++++++. Money will never be an issue in this playthrough.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Peaceful Days :megadeath:

This is the world map of the continent Lean rests on. It may seem like we have a lot of locales to visit, but most of it is blocked out this early in the game. The ferry is in service at the docks, the bridge to Poor is closed for repairs, the castle is under strict guard, and Mt. Erebor's paths have grown over. The shops in Lean are mostly closed because every one has gone to the Fair. Though we can visit the town, there isn't much point. We can go to Luca's house, but there isn't much to do there either, except go through her belongings.

So let's go onto the Fair!

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Millennial Fair :megadeath:

The Fair is flooded with colourful balloons and stalls. It is a bustling place. Nearly all of Lean and Poor have come to celebrate. It's a brilliant move by the dictators who rule these towns: throw a giant party so the impoverished populace and forget about their troubles. You still have some time before Luca's presentation is ready, so we should look around. You do note that there seems to be a heavily armed person standing around with a crossbow. It might be a good idea to keep a wide berth from her.

What shall we do? There are a lot of options and we have some time, so pick three!

A) Fight Gato The Fighting Robot
B) Gamble At The Races
C) Test Your Strength
D) Watch The Disembodied Face Circus
E) Get Drunk
F) Dance In A Rave
G) Steal Someone's Lunch
H) Visit Mlcr The Weapon Smith's Shop
I) Against Your Better Judgement, Talk To The Woman Walking Around With A Lethal Weapon

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've had a shite day and now I'm feeling saucy. So let's see--

Goku only has limited time before he needs hustle on over to Luca's presentation, so he only has time for three activities on the fair. But what will they be?

ArchWizard posted:

Do everything on the list in whatever order you think is best.

Aw sheeeeit.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Aw Yiss :megadeath:

For better or worse, Goku decides to begin his trip around the Millennial Fair by binge drinking. A local lush challenges you to a "drink-off" and you astound him by drinking all of the beer. ALL OF IT. (Note: in game, you drink beer faster by mashing the "B" button. For the sake of convenience, we will be using the "AUTO" option to crush our opponent and drink beer faster).

You then decide to go gamble at the races, seeing as your decision making abilities have been heightened.

GorfZaplen posted:

Piss all our cash away on the races, I realize we have max cash, just spend it all.

You bet all of your money on the Steel Runner, a man dressed in a full replica suit of armour. For whatever reason, you felt this was a better choice than lithe dinosaur man, the cat, and trained military officer. Yup, Goku bet on the fella jogging around in his own body weight worth of metal.

You have lost all your money!

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Gato's Theme :megadeath:

You go to fight Gato. The alcohol is really starting to affect you, though, and you pass out before Gato can even finishing singing its battle theme. For shame.

You win no silver points.

In a haze, you drag yourself to the weird circus thing going on. At least you think you got their of your own accord. For all you know, someone helped you there. You blacked out for a bit. It was probably Gato. Good ol'Gato. Gonna have to thank it afterwards. Anyways, you sleep through the show and miss whatever happened. You're sure it wasn't anything important and whatever was going on will have no bearing on the plot whatsoever at any point in the game.

Afterwards, you stumble around the fair. You're no longer black-out drunk, but you're still pretty out of it. You're beginning to feel pretty hungry. There's an old man settling down to enjoy his lunch, and you manage to persuade him to part with it. You don't recall what exactly you say to make him give it up--you remember repeating your name a lot, talking about something-something-super saiyan, yadda, yadda, spirit bomb--you don't know, you don't remember, it's not important.

You scored a sandwich. Your hunger is satiated for the nonce.

Afterwards, you bumble over to the weird caveman rave going on in the back stage. They're playing some gobshite music, but whatever. Some short guy hooks you up with some of the good stuff. You are now absolutely and irrevocably out of it.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Burn! Bobonga! Burn! :megadeath:

MartianAgitator posted:

Visit Macklemore the rapping weapon smith.

In a haze, you find yourself before Mlcr the famed weaponsmith. You no longer have any money, so his wares are useless to you. Also, you have the strongest weapon in the game, so again, his wares are useless to you. Ah well. You mumble something and totter off.

You make your way towards the heavily armed woman, now armed with so much liquid and synthetic courage that you are confident you will be able to impress her by testing your strength at the fair booth. All the crap you've ingested is really starting to take its toll, though, so you collapse mid-sentence. Through the haze, you hear her say something about losing a pendant.

From your perspective on the ground, you see the glint of gold in the grass. It looks like a pendant. Probably the one she lost. She leaves, looking for it. What will Goku do?

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 23, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Brony Hunter posted:

>Take pendant and use it as a wager to gamble on the guy in armour again.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Get the pendant and use it to pay Gato for its services. Go on adventures together.

tlarn posted:

Take the pendant, don't return it, proceed to the presentation alone with it. It's time to make this the sequence-break run.

Unfortunately, there are a number of hidden flags that prevent us from sequence breaking too heavily early on. Attempting to use the pendant as cash-money ultimately winds up in a rejection of services: no merchant will accept it as legal tender, claiming they don't work on the barter system; Gato is programmed to only respond to combat and offers his services pro bono; and betting it isn't accepted because its value is unknown and the people running the games are trying to keep it "legit".

There is an interesting bit of conversation if you try and sell it to Mlcr, the Famed Rapping Weapon Smith. He recognizes the pendant and chastises you for foolishly trying to part with such a "priceless heirloom". Still, he refuses to take it for himself, suggesting he is afraid of it for some reason. Spooky.

Visiting Luca with the pendant breaks the machine, causing strange portal rifts to open up. You are unable to go near the portals, though, because Luca declares them a hazard and blocks your access to them. In this way, the game cleverly prevents you from progressing without giving the pendant back to the heavily armed woman in white. Still, since we've spoken to Luca finally, we are given the option of changing her name:

Shall we rename Luca, or go with the default name?

AJ_Impy posted:

Stage a coup.

Rexides posted:

Give the pendant to the old guy as payment for the sandwich. Then tell crossbow-girl that you know which scumbag stole her pendant.

You direct the woman's attention elsewhere. When she isn't looking, you pocket the pendant for yourself.

Unbeknownst to many players, this route is actually one of the games 30 endings. It is difficult to complete on New Game, because it involves fighting off many soldiers in Lean's castle, including the Chancellor, who is revealed to be a wicked bug monster. In New Game+++++++, we are able to easily dispatch them and claim victory.

Congratulations! You've unlocked the "King Cron" ending! 29 to go!

As you can see, the King Cron ending makes reference to events that will occur much later in the game. But that's for later, so we wont get into it now.

IPvSH6T posted:

You've had a lot to drink, and there are important things to do before bothering with any pendants. Drop trou, take piss.

Air is lava! posted:

>Eat pendant.
>Vomit.

You attempt to eat the pendant. Unfortunately, it is not edible and you vomit in response. The ensuing force of your vomit causes you to lose control of your bowels, and you urinate yourself. Oh, Goku! Your actions have caught the attention of the heavily armed woman, and she notices that you have the pendant.

Crud. Well, the pendant has been returned to the girl, whether Goku likes it or not. She ignores the fact that you are covered in your own bodily fluids, and thanks you profusely for finding her pendant. It seems to be very important to her. She introduces herself as Marl, and insists that she follow you around. She seems to think that her company is enough of a reward for finding her priceless family heirloom, or something. Rather arrogant of her, but whatever, you're not about to argue with someone holding a large crossbow. You're amazed to have found a person who will put up with you after encrusting yourself with vomit and piss, so you take it as a net win.

Still, we have the option of keeping Marl, or renaming her.

Anyways, there's nothing left to do now but go to Luca's presentation. If you show up without the Pendant and without Marl, you can freely go through the teleporter and it works fine. If we bring both Marl and the Pendant, the machine again breaks down, but because we have Marl now, she gets sucked into the blue portal rift that opens up. Uh oh!

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - A Strange Happening :megadeath:

The Pendant is left behind and Luca identifies it as the problem. But what do we do now? We are given control of Goku again. You'll note that there is also a red portal on the machine. This only appears in New Game+ modes.

Decide on what Marl and Luca will be named, and decide what to do next!

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 23, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Silly me, I forgot to include Gato's theme in the third update. I have rectified that: :megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Gato's Theme :megadeath:

Also, w/r/t naming characters, if you don't state the character's name, I will take that as a vote that you don't care what they are called. If you use their name (i.e., push Luca into the red portal), I will count that as a vote for "Luca" as the name.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Marl has already been sucked into the Blue Portal, if that wasn't clear. It's just Goku and Luca now, deciding what their next step will be.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:siren::siren::siren:Tie-break alert! Next person to post will break it::siren::siren::siren:

I've counted the votes and LUCA will (unfortunately) be named GOKU. However, because there was some indecision over whether MARL should be LNCH or CHCH, there is now a tie for MARL's ultimate name.

Should MARL be renamed to CHCH or GOKU?

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Thank goodness.

LUCA is renamed to GOKU, and MARL is renamed to CHCH.

Workin' on the next update at present.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ratoslov posted:

Tell Luca to forget this, let's get high and make out.

Having been GOKU's friend for years now, GOKU has seen GOKU drunk/high and knows that it usually ends in urination and vomit. In fact, GOKU swears she can smell piss and vomit on GOKU now--

GOKU politely declines GOKU's suggestion.

Gildiss posted:

Take the red pill and fight 1000 Mr. Lavos' in an empty city during a rain storm.

GOKU suggests to GOKU that GOKU investigate the portals. GOKU decides to check out the Red Portal first.

This is actually a route to one of the 30 game endings, though it is only accessible in a New Game + mode. This will seem a bit odd to newcomers to Chrono Trigger, but what we are about to do is take a shortcut straight to the game's final boss, Lavos. We're going to miss all the story, heart-ache, and celebration, but hey, it grants us a unique ending, so we'll take it.

It isn't quite the rain-soaked city you imagined, but at least there's only 1 Lavos, rather than 1000--

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Lavos' Theme :megadeath:

You get ready to kick butt! In New Game+, this is actually quite a challenge taking GOKU against Lavos 1-on-1. Since this is New Game+++++++, it's rather easy. GOKU leaps towards the monstrosity and--

--pokes it right in the weird sphincter-mouth-eye thing. GOKU tries desperately not to think about where he just put his hand--whether it be in a sphincter, mouth, or eye (though he secretly hopes it was more eye than any other part)--and the creature roars, hideous beak shattering before his eyes.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - World Revolution :megadeath:

That is not all, though, as this was merely Lavos' shell. GOKU enters the now cavernous maw, entering a strange realm neither part of time nor space.

It is there that GOKU encounters the Lavos Core--though what exactly it is, he knows not, as he has skipped the entire backstory and plot of the game.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Final Battle :megadeath:

As far as final bosses go, Lavos in all its forms is rather easy, and even now, in New Game+++++++ it goes down in a single hit. Yay!

Congratulations! You have wasted no time in finished the game, and have unlocked the Git'er Done Ending!

Probably one of the better endings, though bittersweet, as the world as a whole doesn't suffer undue strife. CHCH has to be sacrificed, sending Lean into a bit of turmoil, but all is well that ends well, as a strange figure takes command of the southern city-state of Poor and works to unite the two realms into a prosperous new Republic.

Considering the whole Telepod malfunction and missing Princess Nada, GOKU gives up her dream of being a scientist and settles down GOKU. However, because GOKU is actually kind of a slacker and has no skills besides hitting things with sticks and swords, they wind up living a continued life of poverty in a trailer park outside Lean's outskirts. They live a happy life, however, for they need and want little. They ultimately die in obscurity with no children to carry on their line, because going into the Red Portal rendered GOKU impotent.

Ah well.

Let's continue on, shall we?

Fister Roboto posted:

Go through the blue portal, throw LUCA through the red portal

nine-gear crow posted:

Push Luca into the red portal. :byewhore:

GOKU pushes GOKU into the portal.

Before you have a chance to anything more, like say, push the two Telepods together, you feel a strange presence behind you. A menacing voice demands to know what you have done. You recognize the voice as TABN's, GOKU's father. That's GOKU's father, and not GOKU's father, who is still very much dead thanks to the aforementioned combine accident.

What does GOKU have to say for himself?

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 25, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Whoops, forgot OST links for the last update. Went and fixed that. A bunch of new tracks come at you fast and furious in the end game run, but they're pretty rad to listen to.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TravelLog posted:

Also, Goku immediately shouts, "Oi, you w0t m8?!"

This sudden outburst startles TABN--

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Throw TABN into the portal. And if any guards show up to investigate, throw them into the portal too. Basically throw everyone into the portal.

--and GOKU uses this opportunity to throw TABN into the Red Portal after his daughter, GOKU. Seeing as the presentation has already been barred off from the earlier mishap with CHCH, there is no one nearby to hear TABN's screams, and so no one comes to investigate.

You are certain throwing TABN and GOKU into the Red Portal will not have repercussions later on in the game.

Welp, it's time to go after CHCH. You enter the portal and step out into a dreary land, with a pungent odour all about. The Blue Portal closes behind you, seeing as there is no Telepod on this side to keep it open. This troubles you--if GOKU were here, she probably could have created some device, some "Gate Key", to open closed portals at a whim. Haha, too late now! You're on your own.

Wait--something steps out of the bushes and approaches you.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Battle 1 :megadeath:

Tiny green men with butts for heads!

Whatever will GOKU do next?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Why has the default response for every prompt in this LP suddenly become "throw it into the portal"?

Well, you're certainly not helping, mister. :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rexides posted:

Kill one in the most gruesome and inhumane way imaginable, so that the rest will follow your command unquestionably out of sheer terror.

Gildiss posted:

Since we traveled in time, it is most likely a new day. So time to wake n bake. Smoke the dank imps.

Materant posted:

You missed your morning crunk, you've gotta be craving by now. Smoke 'em.

You kill one of the imps in the most horrifying and inhumane way you can think off: by smoking them in a blunt.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - 600AD :megadeath:

However, because they are mindless peons, they cannot be coerced into following you. They will either attack you or flee in terror. They scream something about "Lord MAGS", it doesn't really make any sense to you.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Light'em up with a good ol' KMHMHA.

GorfZaplen posted:

Aww, who am I kidding? KMHMHA TIME

Your attack takes care of all the imps in one swift blow. It also leaves a massive crater at the base of Mt. Erebor. The noise attracts a guard from Lean--only, it's not any guard you recognize.

It's some fellow in ancient Lean armour. The Blue Portal must've taken you back in time to the past! Back to Lean's medieval age! Goodness!

The guard sees your handiwork and proclaims you to be some sort of wizard of light sent to defeat the Dark Lord MAGS. There seems to be some sort of problem at the castle involving Queen LEAN and he begs you follow him.

Well, what does GOKU think?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

C. Everett Koop posted:

We need to Cuck the King.

You look around. There isn't actually any princess or queen nearby. Heck, you don't even see a king around, just some dead imps and this guy in the armour suit.

Gonna have to put this one on the back-burner, you suppose.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Get your money back from this Ren Faire motherfucker. GOKU got to get paid.

Xenav posted:

You know something Goku, This *gentleman* in front of you kinda looks like the person who made you lose all your money because he sucked at running. Kick his rear end, maybe he has some of it on him.

You're still riding high, and this fellow does look an awful lot like the Steel Runner. You give him a beat down for losing the race.

Unfortunately, you only find a couple bucks on him.

Krad posted:

Tell the guard that you come from the future and that you need his clothes. Then take them by force.

You take some of his armour as payment. He won't be needing it.

Cosmic Afro posted:

Skip all that dialogue garbage and go straight for that Cathedral over that, it looks fancy.

This is actually a great idea. You're all about efficiency. Also, you're super baked. A baked GOKU is a lazy GOKU. You don't want to help out any people in some castle. That cathedral looks as good a place as any to be. You know, just sneak into the back during a service and take a nap in the crowd. It's the perfect plan.

You step into the cathedral just in time to see a sentient frog person behead a giant snake. You wonder if that Green Imp you smoked was laced with something.

The frog person looks at you. LOOKS AT YOU. Oh god. What are you gonna do--

Might be that Imp, but you have no idea what the frog-man is saying to you. You think he wants help? You're not sure.

You tell him your name is GOKU, and he introduces himself:

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Frog's Theme :megadeath:

What happens next on Dragon Ball?

Also, what shall FROG's name be?

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 27, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Call him FRANK

Again, in NG+++++++ it should let you go over the character limit.

You're thinking of Chrono Cross.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You follow your new found friend deeper into the cathedral, using a trap door unlocked by mashing your potato hands on the organ. It's more treacherous going than you expect. Well, PCLO takes care of most things in the way, GOKU just kind of watches. Only, PCLO dispatches enemies in the most horrific and gruesome ways possible.

I mean, seriously, you thought murdering and Imp and smoking it in front of its friends was hardcore. But no, PCLO is moreso. PCLO is--OH GODS, DID A CHUNK OF NAGA JUST GET STUCK TO YOUR FACE?!

You plod on, deeper and darker into this nightmare you go, becoming more drenched with the entrails of your foes. PCLO seems to be having fun. Right? Your high or buzz or whatever is definitely gone. This horror show has done more to sober you up than any amount of coffee or nap time in a Lean lock-up could ever hope to do--AHHHHHHHH WHAT IS THAT!?!?

Your mind has shut off by the time you reach the bottom level. You have found Queen Lean, captured by the chancellor who was actually a giant bug, YKRA, in disguise--or so the monster monologes before PCLO grabs hold of him. You see what PCLO does to the being--it is slow, and violent, and evil--but none of it registers. It sort of just washes over you.

You go stand with the Queen in the other room to wait while PCLO does his thing. She is grateful you rescued her. She calls you a great warrior and thanks you.

You mumble something, but it's half-hearted. She asks if there is anything she could do to help ease your apparent suffering.

What next?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

I noticed a distinct lack of cucking the King in the last update. :colbert: I demand satisfaction. I demand we pork the Queen. :catbert:

:negative: goddamnit, crow.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

C. Everett Koop posted:

We need to Cuck the King.

If it's one thing GOKU is good at, it's doing what people tell him to do. You, uh, acquiesce to the Queen's demand.

IPvSH6T posted:

STEAL THE QUEEN'S DRESS. YOU'RE THE QUEEN NOW.

Afterwards, you get dressed. You feel you deserve it, so you put on cleaner clothes than what you were wearing. The Queen isn't too impressed by this, having to wear your dirty drawers in exchange. With the Queen's hair done up in a ponytail, it strikes you how similar she and CHCH look.

Uh--

Uh oh. Well, at least you look fabulous.

PCLO looks on in confusion, but the Queen is safe, so he is ultimately happy. The three of you make your way back to Guardia Castle, cutting through Guardia Woods to do so.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Secret Of The Forest :megadeath:

As you near the exit, you see CHCH coming from the direction of the castle. She is surprised to see you and runs over.

Uh--

Here is comes--

Uh, uh, crap, uh--

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GoatLord posted:

Scold CHCH for cursing in front of you, her grandfathermother.

Shinjobi posted:

Tell CHCH that any relationship between the two of you wouldn't be proper now, and just isn't worth it anymore. Make sure to look as huffy as possible in your dress.

You remind CHCH that you are now her great-something-grandfather, and that it's impolite to curse in front of you. You also remind her that any adolescent school-girl crush she once had on you must be set aside, because it would be improper. Beside, you are the queen now, and she is but a traveller displaced from time. CHCH is not impressed.

Rexides posted:

Who gives a gently caress about these nobodies, We are the Queen now, let's go to the castle to introduce ourselves to our new husband (the king (who we cucked)).

Mantis42 posted:

Use your authority as Queen to have CHCH and Queen Lean LOCKED UP for impersonating you.

You enter the castle and introduce yourself to the king. The simpering old fool is basically blind, and accepts you as the Queen. You have CHCH and the Queen locked up to avoid any potential future embarrassment.

It's good to be queen.

Congrats, you have unlocked the "Queen Cron" Ending! 27 more to go!

Back to the playthrough--

Geemer posted:

And I guess go see what this MAGS idiot is up to.

You can't actually get to the southern continent at this point. The bridge to Poor has been destroyed in a MAGS attack. It won't be until your return visit to 420AD that you'll be able to check it out.

EllEssDee posted:

At this point, mild sequence-breaking, you pull out the murasame, e.g your chrono trigger, and show her how you're going to fix her (time) period.

Ah, yes! You remember this is a New Game+++++++! You look through your gear to find something that will appease CHCH. Most of the crap doesn't satisfy her, but you find the Gate Key made by Glasses-GOKU in another playthrough. With it, you can open any Blue Portal, potentially go back in time, and undo the colossal mistake you've made.

You return to the Mt. Erebor gate and transport yourself back to the Millennial Fair. Only, there are a crap-load of Guardia Knights waiting for you. They believe you kidnapped the princess--wait, CHCH is Princess NADA? Ah crud. It all makes sense!

CHCH doesn't seem to much care that you've been arrested. "Yeah, whatever, arrest grandpa. I don't even care anymore," you hear her say as you are dragged away.

You are now in jail awaiting execution. Worst of all, the Steel Runner, the REAL Steel Runner, who lost you all your money, is your prison guard.

Ho, hum, what will GOKU do?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Starve to death and go LP something else.

This will only happen when you finish editing the videos. :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kavak posted:

--then switch to Glasses Goku.

You wonder what GOKU would do at a time like this. She'd probably bust in at the last moment and rescue you or something.

Uhh, you decide to never think about GOKU ever again.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Having traveled through time thousands of times, lived a thousand lifetimes' worth of lives, and seen and experienced all there is, there is but one thing left to do: Allow yourself to be executed.

You have--seen things other people wouldn't believe--Azala on fire off the shoulder of a Black Tyranno. You've watched buckets glitter in the dark near the End Of Time. All those--moments--will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears--in--rain. Time--to die--

You've unlocked one of the darker endings, "Cron Is Dead"! 26 to go!

AJ_Impy posted:

This is NG+++++++++++++: We have the key. Unlock the cell and pimpslap the guard until the bitch has your money.

Geemer posted:

Just loving KMHMHA out of the cell and tell that Steel Runner rear end in a top hat to fork over your money if he doesn't want to suffer the same fate.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Also, pick up the bench and smack him around if he tries to get smart with you.

You almost feel sorry for the Steel Runner as you get ready to give him a shakedown.

But you are interrupted--

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Prison Break! :megadeath:

It's CHCH. Against her better judgement, she has come to break you out of prison. It seems the Chancellor in this time is also an evil bug monster and is planning to stage a kangaroo trial where you will be found guilty of treason. You're already up for execution, so you don't see the point, but the sandwich guy from the Millennial Fair is apparently going to testify against you. The fiend!

Anyways, CHCH begrudgingly admits that you're family, so she offers to help you escape from the jail. There's a Blue Portal outside of the castle you can escape through.

Hmmm... what to do?

Sally fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 28, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

laplace posted:

Wait for your alternate timeline self to appear and spring yourself out of Jail. Continue to multiply until you hit the party limit and pull the best prison break in history.

Congratulations, you've unlocked the best possible ending!

"Cron-Land" Ending unlocked! 35 to go!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Slick your hair back into spikes and dye it black.

Krad posted:

Allow them to take you to court. Hire Phoenix Wright for the trial.

GoatLord posted:

Take the Steel Runner as a hostage and go through that portal.

Unfortunately, there is no one by that name practicing law in this Kingdom at this time. However, you do get the overwhelming desire to dye your hair black. With no dye present, you rub soot and dirt into your hair, making a terrible mess. You also decide to force Steel Runner into your party as punishment for being a lousy sprinter.

CHCH is dubious of your plan, you brush her aside and go to the courtroom to defend yourself against accusations of kidnapping and sandwich thievery.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Calamitous Judgement :megadeath:

Thus follows a court transcript of the proceedings:

quote:

The Court: Do you have anything to say?

GOKU: The Defendant, myself, GOKU, is now afforded an opportunity to argue the case, if you will, but I'm not going to argue with you, ladies and gentlemen. What I'm going to do is to try and discuss the reasonable inferences which I feel can be drawn from this evidence.

Ultimately, it's what you determine to be the facts is what's going to be important, and all of us can live with that. You are empowered to do justice. You are empowered to ensure that this great system of ours works. Listen for a moment, will you, please. One of my favorite people in history is the great Azala. She said shortly after Nizbel was killed, quote, "Th... the apes beat Nizbel!" This marvelous statement was made more than 100 years ago. It's an ideal worth striving for and one that we still strive for. We haven't reached this goal yet, defeating Nizbel, but certainly in this great country of ours, we're trying to find the correct Time Gate. With a jury such as this, we hope we can do that in this particular case.

I'd like to comment and to compliment the Bug Chancellor and Sandwich Guy on what I thought were fine arguments. I don't agree with much of what they said, but I listened intently, as I hope you'll do with me. And together, hopefully these discussions are going to be helpful to you in trying to arrive at a decision in this case where you don't compromise, where you don't do violence to your conscious, but you do the right thing. And you are the ones who are empowered to determine what is the right thing. Let me ask each of you a question. Have you ever in your life been falsely accused of something? Have you ever been falsely accused? Ever had to sit there and take it and watch the proceedings and wait and wait and wait, all the while knowing that you didn't do it? All you could do during such a process is to really maintain your dignity; isn't that correct? Knowing that you were innocent, but maintaining your dignity and remembering always that all you're left with after a crisis is your conduct during. So that's another reason why I am proud to represent myself, me, who has maintained my innocence and who has conducted myself with dignity throughout these proceedings. Now, last night, as I thought about the arguments of my colleagues, two words came to mind. And I want to--I asked my great-something-granddaughter CHCH this morning to get the dictionary out and look up two words. The two words were "Speculative" and "Cynical." Let me see if I can get those words that she got for me.

And I want you to tell me what does it mean to speculate, what does it mean to be cynical, as I thought about my colleagues' arguments and their approach to this case and their view of this case. "Cynical" is described as contemptuously distrustful of human nature and motives, gloomy distrustful view of life. And to speculate--to speculate, to engage in conjecture and to surmise or--is to take to be the truth on the basis of insufficient evidence. I mention those two definitions to you because I felt that much of what we heard yesterday and again this morning was mere speculation.

People see things that are totally cynical. Maybe that's their view of the world. Not everybody shares that view. Now, in this case--and this is a kidnapping case and a very, very, very serious sandwich theft case. And of course, it's important for us to understand that. It is a sad fact that in Lean society, a large number of people are hurt each year. Violence unfortunately has become a way of life in Lean. And so when this sort of tragedy does in fact happen, it becomes the business of the guards to step up and step in and to take charge of the matter. A good efficient, competent, non-corrupt guard force will carefully set about the business of investigating kidnappings and theft. They won't rush to judgment. They won't be bound by an obsession to win at all costs. They will set about trying to apprehend the thieves or kidnappers and trying to protect the innocent from suspicion.

In this case, the victims' families had an absolute right to demand exactly just that in this case. But it was clear unfortunately that in this case, there was another agenda. From the very first orders issued by the Guardia Knights so-called brass, they were more concerned with their own images, the publicity that might be generated from this case than they were in doing professional investigation work. That's why this case has become such a hallmark and that's why GOKU, me, is the one on trial. But your verdict in this case will go far beyond the walls of Guardia Castle because your verdict talks about justice in Lean and it talks about the guards and whether they're above the law and it looks at the guards perhaps as though they haven't been looked at very recently. Remember, I told you this is not for the naive, the faint of heart or the timid. So it seems to us that the evidence shows that professional investigation work took a backseat right at the beginning. Untrained guards trampled--remember, I used the word in opening statement--they traipsed through the evidence.

Because of their bungling, they ignored the obvious clues. They didn't pick up paper at the scene with prints on it. Because of their vanity, they very soon pretended to solve this crime and we think implicated an innocent man, and they never, they never ever looked for anyone else. We think if they had done their job as we have done, GOKU, that's me, would have been eliminated early on.

Now, at the outset, let's talk about this time line for the Defense. I said earlier that the Sandwich Guy did a good job in his argument, but one thing he tended to trip over and stumble over was when he started to talk about our case. He doesn't know our case like we know our case. It was interesting, wasn't it, because first he stood up and started talking about the time line being at 10:15. Then he said, well, they didn't prove anything, but, "Golly, well, it may have been as late as 10:30." That's interesting, isn't it? Never heard that before.

And so as we look then at the time line and the importance of this time line, I want you to remember these words. Like the defining moment in this trial, the day the Sandwich Guy asked me to try a bite of his sandwich and it didn't fit in my mouth, remember these words; if it doesn't fit, you must acquit. And we are going to be talking about that throughout. So to summarize, if you take the witnesses that we presented who stand unimpeached, unimpeached, and if you are left with dogs starting to bark at 10:35 or 10:40, 10:40 let's say--and we know from the most qualified individuals, Gato and Mlcr the Rapping Weapon-Smith, this was a struggle that took from five to 15 minutes. It's already 10:55. And remember, the thumps were at 10:40 or 10:45--GOKU could not be guilty. He is then entitled to an acquittal

And when you are back there deliberating on this case, you're never going to be ever able to reconcile this time line and the fact there's no crumbs back there and GOKU would run into a circus tent in the Millennial Fair and then under that scenario, he still has the pendant and the sandwich cloth. But what does the Sandwich Man tell you yesterday? Well, he still has the pendant and he's in these crumb-covered clothes and presumably in crumb-covered shoes, and what does he do? He goes in the Telepod. Now, thank heaven, Judge took us on a jury view. You've seen this Telepod. You've seen this Portal. If he went in that Telepod with crumby shoes, with crumby clothes, with his crumby hands as they say, where's the crumbs on the Telepod platform, where's the crumbs on the gate switch, where's the crumbs on the Gate Key, where's the crumbs on the cobblestone? That's like almost white cobblestone going up those pathways. Where is all that crumb trail they've been banting about in this mountain of evidence? You will see it's little more than a river or a stream. They don't have any mountain or ocean of evidence. It's not so because they say so. That's just rhetoric. We this afternoon are talking about the facts. And so it doesn't make any sense. It just doesn't fit. If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

And--

Judge: Excuse me, but this has gone on long enough. Is there a point to this? Is this line of thought going anywhere?

GOKU: I think so, your honour, but to be honest, I'm not to sure anymore.

Judge: Right, that's it. I've heard enough. I'm ready to pass judgement.

You waited with baited breath while the Judge spoke your sentence.

Oh no! The Judge has been watching a lot of A Game Of Thrones lately, so he sentences you to trial-by-combat. Gleefully, the Bug Chancellor leads you out of the court onto the walkways of Guardia Castle and brings out his champion: a Robot Dragon Tank Thing.

:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Boss Theme 1 :megadeath:

Whoa, a boss fight! How do you want to do this?

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 29, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gologle posted:

Also, wtf Steel Runner? Why is his stats so poo poo-tier in NG+++++++? Are you telling me you never leveled up mah nigga Steel Runner in the whole of your adventures?

I didn't use him in my earlier playthroughs very often. I preferred DLTN.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shinjobi posted:

Use "Summon" to summon Lady Goku from the future to eradicate the boss briefly before dismissing her back to her fate

You have vowed never to acknowledge GOKU ever again. You don't want to think about that anymore.

Ratoslov posted:

Ask the clockwork robot dragon if it wants to get high and make out. :v:

You start flirting with the Robot Dragon.

CHCH reminds you that it isn't sentient, questions your logical facilities, and calls you a rude name. Harumph. Kids these days have no respect for their elders!

RotationSurgeon posted:

I think what everyone is posting is the only obvious option but I think I need to make a correction here:

SPLX SRNR into DRGN

Aw yiss. It's time for payback. Steel Runner is gonna get his. And so it this dumb dragon!

HELL YEAH!

Unsatisfied with this conclusion, the Bug Chancellor sends a swarm of guards after you. CHCH leads you to the clearing in Guardia Forest that houses the Blue Portal. She seems to be more in control than you are, so you give her the Gate Key for safe keeping.

You wonder where the Portal will take you this time--

Meanwhile, in Lahan Village:

FEI steps out into the beautiful day, ready to confront all the challenges of a small town life.

WHAT THE--

Some dude in a bad outfit with a worse haircut than GOKU confronts you. He asks you what just happened.

What shall we name this goober, and how shall we answer his ridiculous question?

(Due to real-life needs, I will be taking a brief hiatus from this LP. Have no fear, I have found a guest LPer to take the reigns in my absence. I trust that they will adequately guide the thread through 2300AD)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gologle posted:

OK, this just became too silly.

I know. Suplexes are more of a thing AYLA does, but New Game+++++++ unlocks some pretty bizarre cross-class abilities.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Get every character from a classic JRPG to come in for a HUGE party.

Lahan is about to get thrashed anyway. Might as well burn it down in the funnest way possible.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CowboyAndy posted:

Suplex GOKU on to it. That'll teach her!

Actually, I change my mind. Do this too. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Widestancer posted:

They should stop and all have a tall glass of orange juice to make sure that they get their daily supply of vitamin C.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

CowboyAndy posted:

Stop posting.

Fine.

Real update in progress

Congratulations! You've unlocked the "Rage Quit" ending! 24 more to go.

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 3, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dude, we have power coming out of our ears. Offer him a pile of PWRTABs

We have tonnes of these from previous playthroughs. I, too, recommend tgat we offer Garf some.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gildiss posted:

Mecha-Shiva
Mecha-Shiva
Mecha-Shiva

http://youtu.be/uRRY8UWJEUg?t=2m23s

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

Blind Sally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRRY8UWJEUg
Blind Sally: MECHA-SHIVA!
nine-gear crow: oh goddamnit
Blind Sally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:megadeath: Chrono Trigger OST - Seinfeld Trigger :megadeath:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

You decide to wager your limited edition Final Fantasy XIII Shiva Eidolon Play Arts Action Figure, a literal mecha Shiva, if you will.

EAT IT NERDS!

You monster. I knew I should've sold that figurine before beginning New Game+++++++.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Geemer posted:

Eat the pilot as emergency rations.

AJ_Impy posted:

Eat it, nerds. The mecha, the pilot, every last delicious morsel.

ultrafilter posted:

Eat the pilot's corpse to gain his or her powers.

You don't know why--you feel compelled, by, by forces you don't fully understand. Perhaps you just have the munchies from smoking' those dank imps still, you don't know, but you take advantage of the meal that has been provided you.

One of the deceased's arms was severed when the giant blue robot fell on her. You help yourself, much to the surprise of your companions.

CHCH moves to stop you, but KRLN stops her.

Just as you finish your meal, you hear screaming. It appears that aside from a bit of dismemberment in the accident, the pilot survived the robot crash. Hmm.

Between her screams and curses in a strange language, you think you catch her name--

What is this pilot's name, and what shall we do with our captive foe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Tie-break this, someone. Two votes for BLMA, two votes for ARMS. I kinda like ARMS myself. It's, uh, "descriptive".

• Locked thread