Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

This will be a 5-player game, following the standard rules with a few major changes to objectives as described below. Please read the changes (and offer feedback before the game starts) if you would like to take part.
If you’re not familiar with the game, you can read up on the rules here. They’re pretty straightforward.

Here’s the basic run-down on how PBF works:

1) Whenever you are playing any cards that are not revealed to the other players (e.g. searching, playing into a crisis) this will be done via PM. You must have this to play.
2) Rather than players reading crossroad cards, I will manage these during player turns and will let you know if the effect has been triggered.
3) At the start of player turns, I will roll all dice and post the results in the thread. Players take turns consecutively, but on your turn you can post all actions that you wish to take simultaneously using the following format:

<character><dice><action> OR
<character><action> OR
Play <card> OR
Play X cards into crisis (and send me a PM of the actual cards) OR
<Other action>

For example, your turn might look something like

quote:

Ashley - move to Library
Ashley (5) Search at Library
Ashley – Special action barricade at library
Buddy (3) Kill zombie at colony, entrance 1
Buddy (1) Clean waste
Play Medicine card on Buddy to remove frostbite
Play 2 cards into crisis
4) Whenever you search with a character, if you are searching for a particular type of item and don’t mind making additional noise, please send me a PM along with your turn actions to let me know how many additional searches you are willing to make to try and find that type of item. E.g. you could send me a PM when you search at the hospital stating “I wish to make up to 2 extra noise in order to find a medicine card”. This will speed up the back and forth that can take place over searching.
5) You can specify conditional actions if necessary. For example, if on your turn you intend to move a character and then attack a zombie at the new location, you might wish to make this conditional on not taking damage on the exposure die. If so, post something like:

quote:

Edward – move to Police Station
Edward (4) Attack zombie if no damage taken this turn

You can see how this generally runs by reading the last games here and here.

If you've been following the board game thread, you'll have seen that there's a lot of critique around the game's balance, and so this will be a somewhat experimental game attempting to address some of these issues. If you're not up for experimenting a bit, please move on to the next game - I certainly can't guarantee how well this is going to work out, but it's not massively changed from the base rules so I'm hoping it will be an improvement.

The changes are as follows:

1. Player objectives no longer have binary pass/fail conditions. Instead, in addition to achieving the main objective (survivors) or reducing morale to 0 (betrayers), players must obtain 5 or more points during the game in order to win. Players achieve points in different ways, and some objectives also have ways that players can lose points. As long as you achieve the main objective (or reduce morale to 0 if you're a betrayer) and have 5 or more points at the end of the game, you win. Otherwise you lose. There is no 'I won because I was a survivor and the survivors won even though I didn't get 5 points' - this is important, as you must be focused on achieving your personal objective.
2. There will be 4 survivors and 1 betrayer. No uncertainty about it.
3. When players request cards from one another, the player receiving the card may add it to his/her hand rather than play it. If they do so, the card must be revealed to all players. This is in contrast to the base rules where cards that are given must be played immediately.
4. Votes will last 24 hours from when they are triggered, or until a majority is reached.
5. Exile has been changed as follows:

a) When exiled, a player must move all their survivors from the colony to non-colony locations. The player must then state whether they were a survivor or a betrayer, but reveal no other details of their objective.
b) If the player was a survivor, morale decreases by 1 and 1 card is removed at random from the current crisis contributions.
c) If the player was a betrayer, the game continues as normal. The betrayer's objective remains unchanged, but they can no longer influence the colony through crisis contributions or manipulating the colony/food/waste.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
These are the possible survivor objectives you could receive. I invite feedback on balancing these before the game starts, and I will edit this post with any final changes before we begin:

Loyalist: +4 points if betrayer has been exiled; -1 point if a survivor has been exiled; +1/2 point for every crisis that was passed successfully (round up); +2 points if there are no starvation tokens
Hoarder: +1 point for every 2 cards in your hand (round down); +1 point for every item equipped to a survivor you control beyond the first
Child of Cheiron: +1 point for every wound on a survivor you control; +1 point for every two Medicine cards in your hand
The Way Back Home: +1 point for each Fuel, Food or Weapon card in your hand; -2 points if you do not have at least two Fuel cards in your hand
Repopulate: +1 point for every 2 player controlled survivors on the board (round down); +1 point for every 3 helpless survivors on the board (round down); +1 point if you have a male and female survivor in your following
Historian: +2 points for every book card in your hand.; +1 point for every book card equipped to a survivor you control
Zombie Killing Robot: +1 point for every Tool, Fuel or Weapon card in your hand.; -2 points if you do not have at least 1 Fuel and 1 Tool card in your hand
Safety: +1 point for every barricade at the colony; +1/2 point for every barricade at a non-colony location (round down); -1 point for every survivor you controlled that has died
Well Equipped: +1 points for every card equipped to a survivor you control; -1 point for every two cards in your hand (round down); +2 points if all of your equipped cards are on a single survivor you control
Junkie: +1 point for every Medicine card in your hand; +2 points if all of your survivors are at the colony
Burn it All Down: +1 point for each Fuel card in your hand; +1 point for each barricade at the colony; -2 points if you do not have at least 2 Fuel cards in your hand
Leader: +1 point for each survivor in your following; +2 points if you have the most survivors in your following
Sadist: +1 point for every wound token on a survivor you do not control; +1 point for every survivor you do not control that has been removed from the game
Neat Freak: +1 point if waste is less than 10, +2 if less than 6, + 3 if less than 3; +2 points if there is no more than 1 barricade and 1 zombie at each colony entrance; +1 point if you have 1 card in your hand, +2 if you have no cards
Hunger: +2 points for every food card in your hand (starter items do not count); -1 point for every starvation token at the colony

These are the possible betrayer objectives:

Serial Killers: +1 point for every 2 survivors that have been removed from the game (round up); +1 point for every survivor you have equipped with a weapon
Gluttony: +1 for each 2 points worth of food cards in your hand; +1 point for each starvation token at the colony
Saboteur: +2 points for each failed crisis; +2 points if there are no barricades at the colony; +1 point if there are more than 10 cards in the waste pile
Cult Leader: +1 point for every survivor in your following; +1 point for every other player that has only 1 survivor in their following
Hole Up: +3 points if a location is completely occupied by your survivors; +1 point for every weapon equipped to a survivor you control; +1/2 point for every barricade at the location of a survivor you control (round down)
Mad Scientist: +1 point for every Medicine or Tool card in your hand (Starter items do not count).; +1 point for every failed crisis
Herald of the Dead: +1 point for every 3 zombies on the board; -1 point for every location or colony entrance that does not contain at least one zombie

Edit: Dammit, thread tag.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 20, 2014

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Happy to Test

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Happy to fail and die

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Just to add as well, the exile rules will be changed for this game (I'll add to the first post as well). At the moment, getting exiled gives you a new objective card which can range in difficulty from 'already accomplished' to 'literally impossible'. Further, exiling survivor players doesn't particularly disadvantage the colony unless the exiled survivor happens to draw a new opposed objective card, and most of the impact of the exile is felt by the person being exiled. As a consequence, these changes are designed to create a more predictable outcome from exiling, while reducing the penalty for the person exiled if they happened to have already mostly achieved their objective. Exile is a lot more simple now too, and works as follows:

1) When exiled, a player must move all their survivors from the colony to non-colony locations. The player must then state whether they were a survivor or a betrayer, but reveal no other details of their objective.
2) If the player was a survivor, morale decreases by 1 and 1 card is removed at random from the current crisis contributions.
3) If the player was a betrayer, the game continues as normal. The betrayer's objective remains unchanged, but they can no longer influence the colony through crisis contributions or manipulating the colony/food/waste.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Sign me up

I've not played the game before, but I've heard good things mostly and I'd really like to try it.

Do you feel like you've got all the objectives balanced, or are they more of a first cut?

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 20, 2014

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Sign me up too.

I've played the game in person a couple of times, and posted about it in the BG thread the other day.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

tarbrush posted:

Do you feel like you've got all the objectives balanced, or are they more of a first cut?

I've gone over them a few times so feel that they should be reasonably good, but without having tried it in practice it's hard to know for sure which is why anyone does have any feedback I'd appreciate it.

I've tried to balance it around the existing objectives, but these ranged from things that were incredibly binary and often dead easy to achieve (e.g. have no wounds on any survivors you control) to quite specific and often challenging (have 4 specific cards in your hand). From the number of times I've played the game now, none of the objectives I've proposed jump out at me as being particularly difficult to achieve, though some will likely be more difficult than others depending on the scenario chosen and the crises drawn. As I've mentioned in the board game thread, I think that some imbalance between survivor objectives is not necessarily a problem since survivors need to be working together anyway.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

One more person and we can get started!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hope this isn't dead.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

I'd still be very happy to run this if we can get one (or possibly more depending on whether other people are still around) more people. Join us!

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
The changes you've made seem interesting and worthwhile and I'd be happy to give this a shot.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Well looks like we might have enough players then. I've PMed the people who signed up some time ago to see if they're still keen, and if so we can get started!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I'm still in.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright, we have the numbers to go!

Everyone can vote for a preferred main objective out of the following:

1. Leave It All Behind

Morale: 6
Rounds: 5
Setup: 12 zombies at the colony, 2 zombies at all other locations.

Victory: All non-exiled players must have 1 weapon equipped to a survivor they control. Players have placed 2 food cards under this objective cards for each player that started the game (starter food items do not count). Players may place 2 non-starter food cards under this objective at any time during their turn.

2. Stockpile

Rounds: 6
Setup: 18 zombies at the colony

Victory: 2 food tokens in the supply for each non-exiled player, 1 barricade at each colony entrance, and 2 medicine, 2 tool and 2 fuel cards discarded towards the objective (starter items do not count).

3. Find a Cure

Morale: 5
Rounds: 6
Setup: None

Victory: 2 medicine cards per player discarded towards the objective.

Vote for objective 1, 2 or 3

Starting survivors and objectives will be sent in a moment. Choose 2 survivors to keep.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Starting survivors and objectives have now been sent. Please vote on the main objective you want to do, and choose 2 survivors to begin the game with.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Vote for Scenario 1

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Vote for Scenario 1

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Vote for Scenario 1

*edit* Oh yeah:

Starting with:
Gabriel Diaz: Fireman, 60 2 3; Anywhere: Once per round when Gabriel is at a location with an item deck, you may reveal the top 4 cards of that item deck. If you revealed any outsider cards you may place 1 into your hand. Shuffle the remaining cards back into the item deck
Harman Brooks: Park Ranger, 32 3 3; Anywhere: If Harman would receive a frostbite wound, he received a wound instead.

Locus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 6, 2014

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

I guess that makes it pretty clear, but sure, Vote for Scenario 1.

Starting with:
Brian Lee: Mayor, 68 3 4; Anywhere: Once per round you may increase an unused action die you control by 1.
Arthur Thurston: Principal, 62 4 2; School: Once per round when performing a search at the school you may look at and keep 1 additional card.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Oh, yes, and

David Garcia: Accountant, 50 4 3; Anywhere: When performing a search with David you may look at 1 additional card.
Talia Jones: Fortune Teller, 28 3 1; Anywhere: Once per round you may look at the top 2 cards of the crisis deck and place them back in any order. Then you may say exactly 2 words to all players about the crisis cards, nothing more.

I look forward to Talia being first against the wall when the revolution zombies come.

I take it we're using Werewolf/BSG editing rules? Or does it not matter for this?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It seems pretty unanimous so...

Vote scenario 1

BSG also sometimes has a "don't quote anyone past the previous page" rule because perfect memories make undercover toasters' job much harder. I think that makes sense here too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, my dudes:

Daniel Smith: Sheriff, 66 2 5; Anywhere: (4+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at Daniel's current location. Only roll for exposure once.
Brandon Kane: Janitor, 26 2 4; Colony: Once per round you may remove 5 cards instead of 3 from the waste pile when taking the clean waste action.

Killin' zambos and cleanin' poop. Aw yeah.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I Choose you!
Carla Thompson: Police Dispatcher, 22 4 2; Police Station: Once per round when performing a search at the police station you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Andrew Evans: Farmer, 12 3 3; Grocery Store: Once per round when performing a search at the grocery store you may look at and keep 1 additional card.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Mm, seems to me we might be a little too search-oriented, but I guess since we all need to be armed for the objective it'll sort itself out eventually.

On the other hand, if we're all out searching food's going to be easy :v:

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

quote:

Leave It All Behind
February 21st

It's us or them now. I hate that it's come to this - I really do. But our species isn't going to survive without staring down some hard truths. There's a core group of us, and then there are the tagalongs. The core group makes all the tough calls. It does all the hard work. The tagalongs seem to just be there to eat our food and complain about their inconveniences. Screw them. I say when it's time to go we leave behind the bickering fools who think every decision deserves a debate and a vote. I say we ditch the moaners who don't appreciate the concept of a meritocracy. Of course they don't like the idea - they don't do anything. Well my mind is made up, and I know the others will agree. We just need to make sure we act quickly when the opportunity presents itself.

Rounds: 5
Food: 0
Crisis cards: 0
Waste: 0

Players

Max Peck

Brian Lee: Mayor, 68 3 4; Anywhere: Once per round you may increase an unused action die you control by 1.
Arthur Thurston: Principal, 62 4 2; School: Once per round when performing a search at the school you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Cards: 5
Dice: 6 2 1

Poison Mushroom

Daniel Smith: Sheriff, 66 2 5; Anywhere: (4+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at Daniel's current location. Only roll for exposure once.
Brandon Kane: Janitor, 26 2 4; Colony: Once per round you may remove 5 cards instead of 3 from the waste pile when taking the clean waste action.
Dice: 2 1 4

Locus

Gabriel Diaz: Fireman, 60 2 3; Anywhere: Once per round when Gabriel is at a location with an item deck, you may reveal the top 4 cards of that item deck. If you revealed any outsider cards you may place 1 into your hand. Shuffle the remaining cards back into the item deck
Harman Brooks: Park Ranger, 32 3 3; Anywhere: If Harman would receive a frostbite wound, he received a wound instead.
Dice: 6 2 3

tarbrush

David Garcia: Accountant, 50 4 3; Anywhere: When performing a search with David you may look at 1 additional card.
Talia Jones: Fortune Teller, 28 3 1; Anywhere: Once per round you may look at the top 2 cards of the crisis deck and place them back in any order. Then you may say exactly 2 words to all players about the crisis cards, nothing more.
Dice: 6 6 6

Gravy Train Robber

Carla Thompson: Police Dispatcher, 22 4 2; Police Station: Once per round when performing a search at the police station you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Andrew Evans: Farmer, 12 3 3; Grocery Store: Once per round when performing a search at the grocery store you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Dice: 3 2 4

New Crisis: Illness

Pass: Contribute 5 medicine, or 7 to gain +1 morale
Fail: Place 1 wound on all non-exiled survivors. Lose 1 morale.

Action queue: Max Peck's turn

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Starting hands have now been sent.

As far as secrecy rules go, I'm going with:

1) Don't quote anyone past the previous page
2) Don't edit your posts
3) You may not reveal or say anything which would strongly implicate any part of your objective. Parts of it may become obvious through your gameplay decisions, but you must not state anything in your posts which would give it away.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jesus Christ, tarbrush.

So, what's the big picture here? We need medicine, but we're good at searching everything except the places to get it?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Arthur: move to School (using a starter Fuel to not roll for exposure)
Arthur 2: search School

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I could pop the Sheriff down to make some noisy searching for medicine, since I can get rid of zombies a little easier? Would that work?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I could pop the Sheriff down to make some noisy searching for medicine, since I can get rid of zombies a little easier? Would that work?

I'll have an opinion for you here shortly :) My guess is we'll be able to handle it from starter cards and lower-probability searches, and if that's the case you might be better off clearing out the police station so people can get armed more quickly.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Make noise.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Arthur makes his way to the school, burning a fuel to do so.

Arthur searches the school. Two cards sent. Keep or make noise?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Arthur noisily rummages around in his office. Another card sent. Keep?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Feh, lame. Keep 2 of those.
Play: 3 Outsiders: (Outsiders, School) Event: Add the top card of the survivor deck to your following and place their matching standee at the colony. Add 2 helpless survivor tokens to the colony.

I'll be paying my food tax for the helpless survivors shortly.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Olivia Brown joins Max's following:

Olivia Brown: Doctor, 56 4 3; Anywhere: Once per round you may remove any type of wound token from a survivor that shares a location with Olivia. Olivia may use this ability on herself.

2 helpless survivors added to the colony

1 other card kept by Arthur

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

... well, it's like finding medicine.

Brian: use ability to turn 1 into 2
Arthur 2: search, make no noise, keep 1 card

Dunno what I want to do with the 6 yet, and I'm guessing I ought to move either Brian or Olivia out of the colony. Thoughts, anyone who's around?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Arthur searches and keeps 1 card from the school

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Brian: equip 1, 2, 3 Barricades: (Book, School) Equip: Once per round, during your turn, you may build a barricade without spending an action die if this survivor is at the colony.
Brian: use above to barricade entrance 1
Olivia: move to Hospital, rolling for exposure
Olivia: use ability on self if wounded or frostbitten
Olivia 6: search Hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Brian equips a barricade-building-book

Brian barricades entrance 1

Olivia moves to the hospital. Olivia receives frostbite, but quickly jams her extremities under warm water (or whatever you do for frostbite, I don't know) and is healed.

Olivia searches at the hospital. Card sent. Keep?

• Locked thread