Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Betty posted:

So I'm thinking of replacing a defective motherboard with new one with the same chip set and cpu socket as the old one and I just want to confirm a couple observations. From what I've read I shouldn't have to bother with re-installing windows. There might be a few drivers I might need to install from the new MB disk or let windows detect and install. Also since my copy of Windows 8.1 is OEM, I'm probably going to have to call MS and have them reactivate the license key since it's tied to the old MB, which shouldn't be an issue because I'm dealing with a defective motherboard. Is there anything else critical I'm missing?
Also whats the main advantage you're getting with an ASUS Maxiumus XII Hero vs. an ASUS Z97-A?

ASUS has a pretty good comparision chart for their motherboards. It's a list of features, so some of the more subtle differences discussed in this thread won't be listed, but it's a good starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread