Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Very interesting read, thank you for the write-up Alereon. As an aside, the price ranges you quoted are all for ATX motherboards; are those ranges about where you'd expect to find mATX boards to also fall in terms of quality, or is it closer to a 75% to 85% of that value?

For example, the PC Building megathread recommends this set of boards for mATX that are capable of overclocking, and they mostly cluster around $100 to $150 instead of $150 to $225 (though notable that the ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE hits $200 at the top end.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

I figure there's about a $10 discount associated with moving to mATX instead of ATX. In previous generations mATX boards were often positioned as a value alternative to ATX, but with the 9-series boards manufacturers (particularly Asus) have been concentrating on offering a full-sized ATX board for every price point and focusing mATX boards on systems that are actually smaller form factor. In general mATX systems are lower-power so decent channel boards may be appropriate more of the time.

That seems reasonable. I did a side-by-side comparison of the two ASUS boards and noticed that a lot is the same save for PCI-E expansion slots (as expected) and a bit of cost cutting in terms of USB 3.0 controllers and the like.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 21, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Factory Factory posted:

The Sabertooth and Gryphon might be good boards for you to look at next time around. There is literally no feature build-up over a channel board (except for the doofy, possibly unnecessary thermal armor). All the cost difference goes into higher-grade components on the BOM.

I'm pretty tempted by the GRYPHON Z97 mATX board. It's about $50 less than their MAXIMUS mATX offering with basically the same things I wanted out of that more expensive board with a five year warranty.

Going to skip on the weird "armor" thing they got going on for additional purchase, I'm not putting my PC into a destruction derby car or anything. I wish they'd cut that goofy military spec 1337 gamer poo poo out on quality boards, but I'm sure it probably makes huge bank in the same margins as violently bright LEDs covering every surface of a case does so I'm not holding my breath. Marketing is big.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 21, 2014

• Locked thread