Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SynthOrange posted:

Aaaargh some of these maps are completely bullshit. One way walls leading from deep inside the maze into another part that you've already visited, fuckkkk!
The swamp in Elimnage Original had one-way passages that threw you deeper into it, and to get out you had to navigate the alternative map of the same place with more dangerous enemies and the passages working in different directions.

Does Gothic have anything on the level of ridiculous matching the bird dungeon from Original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, oh man, those dungeons. Swamp was such a drat deathtrap. The bird dungeon was pretty hilarious too.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

nftyw posted:

I liked the first Etrian Odyssey but pretty much burnt out on them after II, though III's ship sailing stuff was really neat. Never picked up anything after those. Cute art.

Wizardry 8 was the bomb, I grinded like nuts in Wiz 7, did some endgame stuff, and was promptly mad that all this sweet stuff doesn't carry over and you are better off importing a few moderate items and strange one-offs like the Salted Munkmeat or Moser's Mojo Tea over.

I bought a copy of it but didn't really get into Tales of the Forsaken Land, I played a bit of LoLS though. I honestly completely forgot I had that on the PS3, haha. Not sure if I even finished it...

Class of Heroes is like if you mashed a cutesy anime artstyle with one of the Elminage games, except with stupendously uninteresting plot and annoying dungeons. Not really recommended.

I also liked the old Might and Magic games from II through V, though I didn't get III until much later.

I played a bit of Demise, something about the Ku'Tan or whatever? Didn't really get far in that, I'd die and then it'd take someone 5454359 days to pull out my corpse and then I'd get revived as some slobbering ancient zombie that keeled over instantly. Definite learning curve to that game as well.

Oh yeah, Legend of Grimrock, which had actiony combat that meant move-and-attack pattern abuse replaced grinding, as well as puzzles that only sometimes decide to make sense (classic RPG logic!). Still managed to enjoy myself playing through it though. There's a sequel that should be coming out soon too.

Demise is the best game ever. The graphics are a crime against humanity, but man. It gets so deep the further down you get. Its one of the few dungeon diver games I've found that really gets more interesting in addition to more difficult as you progress. It also has like 1-2 thousand hours worth of content. I play off an on every couple years, still leveling up my troll mushpot. There was a goon server a while back when Demise:Ascension got released, but I think its gone now. Would love to play with Goons again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah without that xp boost mod I dont know if I'd still be playing. Without it this game is brutally old-school.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010
So, more exploring hex editing stuff. This time I've got pretty much everything related to how the game stores inventory, including all Alchemy stuff: http://pastebin.com/YUJBPJv2

Now that I know that stuff, I might again be able to add the monster equipment from the 3DS. Turns out that while I can't just create a million new items, I *can* manipulate the monster data to give their items Alchemy Enhancements:

And the effects:

It's not exactly the same thing (you couldn't forge the items to remove the curses and such), but it's at least mostly possible. 'Mostly' possible because I have no idea where this data is stored in the data files (or if it even is). The above was done via memory editing. Which... isn't exactly the best way to go about making a mod...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
I like the idea of these types of games but haven't really played one for a significant amount of time. I started mapping with graph paper then got considerably lost so I used a magic map which made it obvious I am terrible at hand making maps so I think I'll cheat and use that edited infinite map mod.

I think I chose poorly on my starting group. I have a Fighter, a Valkyrie, a Bishop, a Mage, a Cleric and an Alchemist which isn't bad but it would be nice to replace the Bishop in the front row with another melee.

I'm also glad there isn't a complete wiki so I can actually try and figure out what I'm doing rather than spending half my time online.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Woodburger posted:

I think I chose poorly on my starting group. I have a Fighter, a Valkyrie, a Bishop, a Mage, a Cleric and an Alchemist which isn't bad but it would be nice to replace the Bishop in the front row with another melee.
Grind up until you know 7th level spells and then turn that Cleric into a Samurai :getin:

Has anyone found the item that lets me turn a dude into a ninja yet or am I poo poo outta luck?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZarquonHigardi posted:

So, more exploring hex editing stuff. This time I've got pretty much everything related to how the game stores inventory, including all Alchemy stuff: http://pastebin.com/YUJBPJv2

Now that I know that stuff, I might again be able to add the monster equipment from the 3DS. Turns out that while I can't just create a million new items, I *can* manipulate the monster data to give their items Alchemy Enhancements:

And the effects:

It's not exactly the same thing (you couldn't forge the items to remove the curses and such), but it's at least mostly possible. 'Mostly' possible because I have no idea where this data is stored in the data files (or if it even is). The above was done via memory editing. Which... isn't exactly the best way to go about making a mod...

Not for nothing, but you're doing good work here. It seems like you've given the mechanics more thought than Ghostlight did! :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Grind up until you know 7th level spells and then turn that Cleric into a Samurai :getin:

Has anyone found the item that lets me turn a dude into a ninja yet or am I poo poo outta luck?

If it's like Original, it's probably a quest reward. But you could always just kidnap a monster ninja and use that!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that it would be good to link all of the patches and utilities that have been posted in thread back in the OP, if not already done so.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Woodburger posted:

I like the idea of these types of games but haven't really played one for a significant amount of time. I started mapping with graph paper then got considerably lost so I used a magic map which made it obvious I am terrible at hand making maps so I think I'll cheat and use that edited infinite map mod.

I'm also glad there isn't a complete wiki so I can actually try and figure out what I'm doing rather than spending half my time online.

This definitely looks like a game you should skip then. It appears to be a pretty generic dungeon slog without much in the way of interesting environments and a plethora of kawaii as gently caress character and monster designs. If you enjoy tedious grinding and repetitive button mashing then go for it. I gave it a shot and really wish I could have my money back. (This, coming from someone who really enjoyed the hell out of beating the gold-box Pool of Radiance last month.)

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 7, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Im enjoying it but the environment is the biggest letdown of the game.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'd have bought it day one if they hadn't stripped the customization options the console versions had. Imagine that, a game where the (portable!) console versions had more modding customization available!

I wager someone will eventually hack a way to manually edit the in game files though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wouldn't mind the bland visuals of the dungeons if not for how drat empty they are. A tiny room hidden in one corner of the map, what could be inside? Oh, a battle. I wonder what this special encounter will drop? Oh, standard items for this area.

Actually, let me rephrase that. I wouldn't mind that part now that infinite readable maps are available.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The no custom portraits thing is suuuuch bullshit. I wouldn't have bought it knowing that was stripped, isn't that like a core thing in Elminage? Fuckin' Ghostlight.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Million Ghosts posted:

The no custom portraits thing is suuuuch bullshit. I wouldn't have bought it knowing that was stripped, isn't that like a core thing in Elminage? Fuckin' Ghostlight.

Yeah, it was part of the PSP Elminage Original and they later added music import. Seems really strange they didn't include even some basic level of editing, but I guess the kind of programming they had to get that working on a locked-down console was just too much headaches to disassemble and reimplement.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Million Ghosts posted:

It really is a shame. I wanted to like Gothic so much but it's such a barebones step back from Original. You can hack portraits in but who has the time for that?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If it wasn't $8 I'd feel kind of ripped off, as it is I'm laughing at Ghostlight's incompetence.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Million Ghosts posted:

If it wasn't $8 I'd feel kind of ripped off, as it is I'm laughing at Ghostlight's incompetence.

Same... I've tinkered with this and I have Origin, which I paid the full $25 for, on PSP. Original is much more polished. Had I payed that much for this, I'd be furious. The initial localisation of Original was bad, but apart from that it was well done. I'm disappointed, quite a bit actually, with this port, but the low cost keeps me from really getting narked off.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
This is a little off topic but I think this is the only Elminage thread: Is it possible to use the custom portrait/music feature of Elminage Original on a Vita? I'm getting a Playstation TV this week and I'd like to redownload it there but it's my understanding Vita memory cards have some proprietary stuff going on and can't be browsed like PSP memory can.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

This is a little off topic but I think this is the only Elminage thread: Is it possible to use the custom portrait/music feature of Elminage Original on a Vita? I'm getting a Playstation TV this week and I'd like to redownload it there but it's my understanding Vita memory cards have some proprietary stuff going on and can't be browsed like PSP memory can.

I tried once but couldn't figure out how to get it to work. It might be possible, but it wasn't intuitive enough for me to figure out how to.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

nftyw posted:

I tried once but couldn't figure out how to get it to work. It might be possible, but it wasn't intuitive enough for me to figure out how to.

I wonder if this will work: http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/mac/gb/index.html

I'll give it a try tomorrow if I can.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I just got to Dezaporlia Tunnels and I'm stuck. I just got in and there's a door I can't open or interact with at all and a guy who sells me junk for 800 gold a pop. How do I progress?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Walk up to the door you can't open and hit F. The game never tells you how to do this, but that's the "search the wall I'm facing" key. You'll need it to find hidden doors starting basically immediately after that, so get used to it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, that's basically the part which makes sure you know how to examine walls before letting you move on to the dungeons where the doors aren't visible.

Also, the guy there who sells you junk is actually selling you discarded items. Which means they mostly will be junk, but is their way of making sure you can't permanently lose a key item.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I've been spending time with other crawlers lately (finally beat Grimrock and put some time into Etrian Odyssey 1), but I think today is gonna be marathon EG day. :axe:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

spider wisdom posted:

I've been spending time with other crawlers lately (finally beat Grimrock and put some time into Etrian Odyssey 1), but I think today is gonna be marathon EG day. :axe:

Yeah, I keep getting sidetracked my more feature-rich crawlers. Etrian Odyssey IV is on sale for 14.99 and I couldn't pass that up. Demon Gaze is a bit anime (and pervy) but feels more solid than EG. I really want to like it but it just feels like a lowest-effort port.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I decided all I wanted out of this was weird monster bros, so I'll just go look through the artbook instead of playing this torture simulator. :v:

Jack Burton Windu
Oct 4, 2004
It's all in the Jedi Reflexes...
Really glad this was on sale this week. Super easy to remap the controls and use my PS2 controller from the couch. My sweet tactic from Original to save up for the flamberge and steamroll the first few floors blew up in my face when it broke after 2 uses. Nice 11k repair bill waiting for me.
Is there a way to donate gold for xp besides the chance given when you change classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jack Burton Windu posted:

Really glad this was on sale this week. Super easy to remap the controls and use my PS2 controller from the couch. My sweet tactic from Original to save up for the flamberge and steamroll the first few floors blew up in my face when it broke after 2 uses. Nice 11k repair bill waiting for me.
Is there a way to donate gold for xp besides the chance given when you change classes?

Nope. Which means you may be better off just making a new spellcasting character or whatever rather than destroying your Fighter's stats with a class change.

Pro tip: summoners can convert other summoners' monsters into PCs, so you will benefit from keeping a lv1 summoner around for that purpose. Go get some ghosts and become immune to damage!

• Locked thread