Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gosh I hope they have jokes about comics, or Star Wars, or Star Trek this season!!!

You will be disappointed because the first ep had none of that. I think 2 1/2 Men has more tech jokes and nerd references than BBT now.

Kin posted:

We've put this on in the background while we eat dinner, just because it's marginally better than the news being on and it's not as deep or needs as much attention as a show that's actually interesting.

Basically, i'm saying it's background noise.

Who the gently caress are these people providing the laugh track? Have they not seen an actual funny show?

There were a few times, such as Bernadette's "...and you're not his father" that were not even funny, but there was laughter when her line ended. Maybe there's no laugh track and it's a live audience but their responses are juiced in some way.

For a season premiere there was nothing new (besides Penny's haircut and Steven Root's cameo) so I can't even see where the show will be going now.
The only surprise was finding out that Penny landed the job as a pharma rep, which is kinda hard to believe since she has no training, no background, no contacts and no experience relating to that field at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

Sheldon does now not even resemble a human being. If someone acted like that in real life both when they had their stuff stolen and when they were supposed to have a professor/teaching job they would be institutionalized. And his friends keep enabling him.

This was not the first time he's gone pantsless in public. I'm surprised he hasn't already been labelled a sex offender.
This also wasn't even the first time Sheldon was robbed when taking the train. You'd think a "genius" would learn from past mistakes! Or that the writers of a multi-million dollar hit comedy show could come up with new ideas for a new season.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 24, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

TV ones, even. Karen Gillan's character on Selfie is a pharmaceutical sales rep.

Thanks. Thought she was the best part of Doctor Who when she was on it, and had no idea about this new series. It's kinda cute. Look forward to scenes of that character pitching a new medicine to a doctor. "Buy this and your clients will take it and be like, 'this is coolio', smiley gif el oh el ."

sbaldrick posted:

The likelihood of meeting someone that really has autism is fairly low. Lots of kids diagnosted with it are too young to tell and grow out of it. The rest are self described internet weirdos.

For the families of people with real autism, Sheldon emotional growth and social skills is the goal.
I do not believe there is any intention to portray Sheldon as autistic but if he was, his friends are not helping him at all since they are enablers and always give in and do whatever he wants.

Mister Kingdom posted:

She got the job because the HR guy is afraid of Bernadette and he didn't want to piss her off.
This only makes sense in the Chuck Lorre universe.
However it would be funny if Penny turns out to be a drug-peddling savant who somehow outsells Bernadette, the genius research microbiologist who was recruited to be a sales rep.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DrPlump posted:

Where can I take the Berscheid, Snyder, and Omoto's Relationship Test mentioned in tonights episode?

That test must be flawed, since Sheldon and Amy score so high on it and yet have no intimacy nor sexual activity or even physical contact.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gotta say, I thought watching a man mentally batter his girlfriend and friends would get old after so many seasons. Its still just as fun and awesome though! For the life of me I don't know why Leonard didn't bring up their sexless emotionally stagnant relationship..
I was also waiting for Leonard to play the "we have sex" trump card yet he never did. With Leonard and Penny engaged their relationship seems to be taking a more serious turn this season - and that ain't funny.

Omne posted:

Bernadette's a sales rep? Since when? I thought she worked in the lab developing the drugs

Oh, I guess I thought that since she got a big salary and signing bonus. Guess I was wrong. But she's helping Penny learn about being a sales rep now, even though she's a pharma lab geek and not in sales. :confused:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Bernadette probably knows a lot about all the drugs her company manufacturers?
As Josh Lyman pointed out, even Karen Gillan's character on Selfie is a pharmaceutical sales rep.
Bernie would be doing Penny a much bigger favour by introducing her to other sales reps than explaining the chemical formulation for a new product.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

How did they make it through the entire episode without anyone pointing out that the comic store was a terrible business and you'd be insane to put money into it. His whole character was "guy that is comically poor"

They are insane. They didn't really care about the business aspect and just thought it would be cool to be comic book store owners. These are the same group of guys who bought a movie prop Time Machine, and a 3D printer so they could make dolls of themselves.
Of course they would have made Stewart's life even more miserable than before.

This was my favourite ep of the season so far, good jokes, several scenes with 'the girls' and even a little conflict between Penny and Raj's girlfriend. And we had a chance to see how bad Penny is at pitching drugs to doctors.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

I could have sworn this was called out as bullshit in the last thread because people with that level of autism aren't that selfish and sociopathic?

The haircut is great...if you're only looking at it from the shoulders down.

Really, her cheeks are too chubby looking to pull off that haircut.

Anyway, the more I watch this show the more I realize it isn't really going anywhere.
This latest ep was a great example of both those points.
1. The last scene of Penny was mostly to show she looks great 'from the shoulders down' in a bikini.
2. The whole ep felt like scenes from previous episodes frankensteined together into something that was superficially new and different but mostly stuff we've seen before. Although Penny being the nerd who had to do homework instead of drinking, was a switch it didn't really make sense. She could have gone out at night and spent the next day studying instead of laying around by the pool :iiam:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah I thought this thread would blow up! Sheldon told Amy he loves her. Sure it's his weird, emotionally-stunted mysophobic love, but it was a huge revelation.

Nice to see Raj's girlfriend get in some laughs, and Stuart take part also. The writers packed a lot into 22 minutes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I realized there's a way for Howard to get his mother back and forget all about Stuart. Although plot-wise it will have to wait. The way to have Mrs Wolowitz back, interfering with his life and doting on him is: a Bernie baby.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

The show is routinely in the 19 minute range including the theme song and those atom transitions between scenes and to/from commercials. Talk about getting the most from as little content as possible.

and then subtract pauses for laughter, leaving around 15 minutes of scripted dialogue LOL.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

I'm very interested to see how they handle it. Given that she was an off-screen character and there are many people who can do excellent impersonations, it would be incredibly easy for them to replace her and most people wouldn't notice. But it might be considered disrespectful to just have someone impersonate her, so I'm not sure.
The fat jokes are old and not that funny. They should introduce a new actress on-screen and toss off a line about weight-loss surgery or her new diet with thanks to Stuart. I don't expect this to happen but it's kind of weird that "my mother is so fat" jokes are still being used in 2014 when fat shaming is generally seen as crude and derogatory.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 15, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

Fatty spotted.
I might have a few pounds to lose but Mrs Wolowitz is so fat (how fat is she?), she can be picked up by the camera on Comet 67P.

Fetus Tree posted:

So is the rest of the show in my opinion, so it fits right in

Do you think so? I can't even get through more than 10 minutes of 2 Broke Girls because of the crudeness of the humour. BBT is much more mainstream and usually gently mocking of nerd culture and even Penny's (former) promiscuity. But Howard's comments about his mother are often really mean and even vicious.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 17, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

I know she wasn't in the latest episode (or two?), but they've missed an opportunity with Raj's girlfriend. One of the disappointing about Amy and Bernadette is that even though they are smart, they aren't really geeks in the same way that the guys are and so there's always this disconnect between the guys and girls' storylines. Given that nerdy girls obsessed with videogames/sci-fi/superheros/whatever aren't particularly uncommon (especially in the subset of women who would be willing to date the BBT guys), it would be neat to have one of them date someone who, you know, actually shared common interests.

The show seems to make a point of mentioning how Penny and Leonard have nothing in common. But really, none of the characters and their partners (or ANYONE they have ever dated) have ever had much in common in terms of common interests, and it's kind of weird.

Even though Bernadette and Amy are portrayed as smart, it's like the showrunners think only guys can be "real geeks" or something.
The girls did cosplay Cinderella once but you're right, at best they go along or put up with the boys' geek culture. Leonard met a girl who was into comics but that only lasted one or two episodes because of the blonde girl he has no common interests with. To go even further: one episode Penny and a lot of friends were watching a football game on tv. Has her relationship with Leonard caused her to drop that whole circle? We've never seen her with any of them again, or anyone socially except for her boyfriend's friends' girlfriends.
(I think I got that right).

It's fun that Amy is a scientist who actively insults Sheldon about his time-wasting juvenile interests but there's no compelling reason all their girlfriends have zero interest in their hobbies.

That last ep was not enjoyable at all.

Irish Joe posted:

Fatty spotted.
I've done calorie counting and cannot see how it would be confused with abstruse physics calculations.
But the real downer of that episode is that both Stephen Root and Levar Burton were totally underused.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 22, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

dandaman posted:

This week was pretty solid also. I'm just surprised no one managed to look at Sheldon's drivers license in 8 years.

I think it was a recycled plot idea, pretty sure Leonard didn't like celebrating his birthday and Penny planned a surprise party for him a few seasons ago.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

They sound like hell. Group dynamics, having to play "make believe" with grown adults, being forced to solve MENSA-esque brain teasers.. where's the appeal?

Some people like to get off the interweb and find new and intriguing ways to challenge themselves while also having fun.

Windows 98 posted:

Anyone think they are gonna have Sheldon be distraught over Nimoy dying and try and compare it to Howards mom?

End screen on yesterday's show had a photo of Nimoy with the caption, "The impact he had on our show and on our lives is everlasting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Both the latest BBT and the recent first episode of Louie this season dealt with the topic of alien contact.

• Locked thread