Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Claptrap doesn't need oxygen

quote:

Claptrap's point of view is lower than other characters because he is so small. Claptrap doesn't need oxygen so he can use his 0z a lot more than others without fear of suffocating. He does take a deep breath before going out into space because he is imitating the other vault hunters. And YES, Claptrap can go up stairs, climb ladders, jump, and even sprint. When he sprints however, he doesn't jog making the camera bounce around because he has a wheel instead of legs. He can strafe side to side which I imagine his wheel just shifts into a horizontal position.

Which is really cool that he has his own mechanics and his ultimate is just a random mismatch of things to go with his annoying personality.

I never beat Borderlands 2, it seemed like it just dragged on forever, and I was playing multiplayer too so when my brother stopped playing I was kind of just stuck alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

There had better be an explanation as to why he loses the ability to go up stairs. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kaethela posted:

There had better be an explanation as to why he loses the ability to go up stairs. :colbert:

Clearly when Jack murders the rest of his kind he brutally maims Clappy in such a way he loses his ability to navigate stairs.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Higher gravity would do it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
"Carry the robot up the stairs" would be a pretty funny mechanic, but it would lead to some of the most low-effort griefs imaginable and screw over anyone playing solo pretty badly.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Kaethela posted:

Jack changes his tire tread from all terrain to non-stairs.

I'm kinda glad the game isn't going to be as long as BL2. I was so bored of the game after completing three playthroughs with a couple different characters.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

"Man, this game is too long! I could only play it through six times before getting bored of it!"

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

signalnoise posted:

Borderlands Tournament 2K4

Yessss. :allears:

The only thing that comes close to my excitement about low gravity, butt slams and moon buggies is having the PC's talk more. That's also great. Even if BL writing misses pretty heavily from time to time, I have hopes that we get some funny poo poo in this one too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The developers admitted that the whole O2 thing is just a way to manage how often you can gravity butt slam. It's not supposed to be a "make sure you have enough oxygen or you will die!!!!" survival mechanic. Which is cool, I think. It just adds a little more depth to fights (another DoT to worry about, doing butt slams, etc.) without becoming The Most Important Thing.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

In some of the trailer it looks like some of the O2 kits generate O2 bubbles when you buttslam, and said bubbles recharge your O2 like any place with an atmosphere, so it seems like you won't even have to care about that too much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really want to complain about them putting in all these conveniences related to the oxygen, but it seems like they're making it such a non-issue that there's no point in even having it be a mechanic at all.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

CJacobs posted:

I don't really want to complain about them putting in all these conveniences related to the oxygen, but it seems like they're making it such a non-issue that there's no point in even having it be a mechanic at all.

They do seem to give your oxygen count other mechanics too. Like one OZ Kit we've seen in a gameplay video gave +damage% based on how much oxygen is left, etc. Hopefully OZ Kits in general will use the counter in other interesting ways besides.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

For some reason, despite really enjoying Borderlands 1 and then loving 2, I'd been feeling really indifferent towards this one. After watching that Hammerlock and Torgue trailer though I'm feeling pretty hyped for it. Then again, it's hard to not feel hyped for anything after Mr Torgue's been yelling at you for 10 minutes straight.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Higher gravity would do it.

Damnit this is basically the perfect answer to that question

They also explained on one of their twitter accounts that laser weapons and cryo weapons don't work on pandora because of the thicker atmosphere, which is why they're not in BL2.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kaethela posted:

They did mention at some point that there is an explanation for that in the game somewhere. Probably at/near the end.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AirRaid posted:

They did mention at some point that there is an explanation for that in the game somewhere. Probably at/near the end.

Yeah, I assume we're gonna be around to witness first-hand Jack's face accident, too.

Everything I've seen of this game basically screams, "Borderlands 2: Only Better This Time," and I am totally on board with that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
For those of you looking to take advantage of regional price differences, you can buy it on Nuuvem for ~$35 USD (R$84,99). You get a full steam key for it when it is released, and it's not region locked.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2282-borderlands-the-pre-sequel

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Skandranon posted:

For those of you looking to take advantage of regional price differences, you can buy it on Nuuvem for ~$35 USD (R$84,99). You get a full steam key for it when it is released, and it's not region locked.

Tried to do this, but it seems they do prevent you from purchasing if you're not in Brazil (or using a VPN that says you are I guess). Oh well.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Tried to do this, but it seems they do prevent you from purchasing if you're not in Brazil (or using a VPN that says you are I guess). Oh well.

Are you sure? I had no problems at all. Maybe you just need a non-US IP address, mine would have shown up as from Canada.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Are you sure? I had no problems at all. Maybe you just need a non-US IP address, mine would have shown up as from Canada.

Yup. It says "This product is not available for purchase in your region." (in English even) when I attempt to add it to my cart. Guess that's probably it, since I'm in the US.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Oh, boy.

They promise more dialogue while playing in this one, which pretty much eliminates Claptrap as a viable class for me. I never understood the appeal of his "character". Then again, his skill trees look like utter poo poo to me. Especially the middle one, since I mostly play solo. Bad idea to make a third of one classes skills useless to a sizable portion of your playerbase.

As for all the kill skills and stack mechanics... I hated that poo poo in BL2 and I'm pretty disappointed that they are leaning on that as heavily as they are in this one. I've always been more surgical and reliant on reliable high-damage output when it comes to playing FPS's and having all these conditional and situational skills isn't conducive to my playstyle at all. I was really hoping we'd get a fully-fleshed out sniper tree somewhere and the enemy HP didn't scale too badly in the end game so as to render sniper damage obsolete. I know a lot of people didn't like how certain vault hunters were more adept at particular weapons in previous instalments, but that's what I liked, personally. Picking a class of weapon I was comfortable with and becoming as proficient as I could while min-maxing the appropriate skill tree. I know they were trying to get away from that but I feel like with all the on kill skills, a lot of the time players won't be feeling the benefits of their build nearly as much as in the first two games.

The rest of the game looks like what I want, though. Just the skill trees that seem really disappointing to me. Hopefully I can do something fun with a dual-wield Lawbringer, but unless they've made pistols as fun and impactful as they were in BL1 (Please let me wield two mashers at once) I'll probably lose interest. The pistols mostly sucked in BL2.

Sorry about all the negativity, but that's how I feel.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
One of my biggest problems with pistols in BL2 was that they were like 50% of the guns. Open a nice chest? NOPE, FULL OF PISTOLS. Some of them were fun (Anarchists! Grog Nozzle!) but there's such a thing as too many.

Also, yeah, I want mashers. I loved them BL1, and having only the Maggie in BL2 was a huge disappointment.

As for everything else you said... sorry, I guess? Borderlands never struck me as a sniping kind of game. It's hard to have chaotic-fun-number-explosions when you're on the other side of the battle field. There hasn't been a truly good sniping tree since Mordecai in BL1, but in that game snipers sucked. (Below 97% Accuracy? Don't bother using it!) Don't get your hopes up, I guess. Hopefully you can find something else that works for you.

Claptrap is like the big fragmenter among Borderlands fans. The joke is pretty much that everyone hates him, but I think they're going to focus more on the "I was programmed for optimism and happiness, despite the fact that my life is pretty much poo poo!" angle. He can be really annoying, but a lot of that for me was things like the slog that was the opening of BL2.
I completely disagree that his skills trees are poo poo though. Literally every skill in the middle tree is either some bonus for Claptrap or a bonus for Claptrap and his friends. There aren't even any that are "Gain more numbers if you have more friends," which would be annoying. The only one that's the suspect is "Best Buds 4 Life," since the only way you'll get out of FFYL is by killing. Oh wait, look at all those other skills that help you in FFYL! How dandy.
The left tree is pretty much just about dumping as many bullets downrange as you can and also explosions. The right tree is the one that I'm a little leery of; the subroutines could be really cool or just disappointing or annoying.

(No worries, a little negativity is good for reminding us that getting too hyped will just lead to disappointment.)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Yup. It says "This product is not available for purchase in your region." (in English even) when I attempt to add it to my cart. Guess that's probably it, since I'm in the US.

Check out http://www.vpngate.net/en/, they have some Brazil IP VPNs you could use. Slow as gently caress, but will get the job done.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Skandranon posted:

Does this come with the pre-order DLC you get from steam/GMG/etc?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skandranon posted:

Check out http://www.vpngate.net/en/, they have some Brazil IP VPNs you could use. Slow as gently caress, but will get the job done.

Check out the Hola Better Internet plug in for Chrome or Firefox. Does what you want but in browser, per site and much faster.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Going to crossquote this from the BL2 thread because it's worth knowing -

Critical posted:

For what it's worth I just asked Gothalion about the scaling in PreSequel and he confirmed that he talked to the devs and it has been brought back to BL1 levels and is not at all insane. So good news.

This is a very good thing, should make higher levels much less bullet spongy.

E: woops double post

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
My only concern for this game is the environments, when they first announced it my first thought was they'd be really samey but I assumed they would show off more variety in the subsequent trailers if they could, but it's all been gun metal grey corridors or out on the surface of the moon. I know that's kinda what they have to do but I hope they have a bit more variety up their sleeves.

Also you should unlock all four weapon slots way faster than you did in BL2 (and BL1? I can't remember how long it took in that game).

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 23, 2014

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I will buy and play and enjoy this game.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The OZ tanks feel like they wanted resource management, decided it was stupid, and used the pre existing assets and newly freed space to make even more customizable options.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Pre-ordered for Xbox360 looking forward to playing with Goons. I let Gold run out before school started but I will be resubbing before this ships. I like "only found/dropped equipment" runs and duping/trading equipment with goons.

Hambonius 0mega (the '"0" in Omega is a zero)

I will play the poo poo out of this game and I will enjoy it. Who cares if there are memes or catchphrases, I can't hear them over shooting.
The only thing I ask for is skippable cutscenes...Oh crap is you Hyperion! I heard you guys were robots and stuff and ate metal out of garbage cans...

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

The Bee posted:

The OZ tanks feel like they wanted resource management, decided it was stupid, and used the pre existing assets and newly freed space to make even more customizable options.

In the videos they admit the OZ tanks primary purpose was to cap how much you could butt slam. This makes sense, as otherwise its Super Mario FPS in Space edition

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

highmodulus posted:

In the videos they admit the OZ tanks primary purpose was to cap how much you could butt slam. This makes sense, as otherwise its Super Mario FPS in Space edition

Yes. I pointed out, though, that in the videos they also show Oz tanks (as in the equippable item) that generate atmosphere bubbles whenever you buttslam. Entering an atmosphere bubble fully recharges your Oz, so that kind of Oz tank lets you buttslam indefinitely - thus making it Super Mario FPS in Space edition.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Really though it doesn't look like o2 is a particularly rare resource. And there's loads of other cool oz kit effects which will probably be better than some free air.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Yes. I pointed out, though, that in the videos they also show Oz tanks (as in the equippable item) that generate atmosphere bubbles whenever you buttslam. Entering an atmosphere bubble fully recharges your Oz, so that kind of Oz tank lets you buttslam indefinitely - thus making it Super Mario FPS in Space edition.

Well, it's not like they've never made broken builds. Think Zer0 or Krieg with Love Thumper. If you want to make a buttslam build, they've made it an option, but not everyone can do it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

pun pundit posted:

Oz kits that regenerate your oxygen seems op until you realize that the Oz kits replace the relics of BL2 and there are probably many more way more useful effects they can have. It's like the Tediore legendaries of the first game.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
Anthony Burch and Joel Eschler were on Gamespot's The Lobby doing a demo of The Pre-Sequel, and apparently the grinder will spit out special items if you feed it specific combinations of items. Eschler mentioned legendary items, but I'm not sure if that's definite or if he was just speaking off the cuff. Also, there will be a talking gun that is very, very Australian.

Video is here. Pre-Sequel stuff starts about 43 minutes in.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

The last trailer with Hammerlock and Torgue was loving horrible but I still want to buy this game what is wrong with me?

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010
YAY another borderlands where we can run around dying for ten straight hours trying anything plausible but make it through the entire game in 45 minutes if we exploit a gimmick!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Professor Oak posted:

YAY another borderlands where we can run around dying for ten straight hours trying anything plausible but make it through the entire game in 45 minutes if we exploit a gimmick!

I can't tell if this is a good or bad statement. The "YAY" implies sarcasm but that doesn't sound like a sarcastic sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Professor Oak posted:

Have you tried getting good and not being a scrub?

• Locked thread