Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I wanna do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It is very exciting to be in a game where people are posting. Jon Joe, Jedit, and Grandicap are scum.

Jon Joe posted:

I believe in Tremendous Taste! Let go your paranoia, your distrust, your hobbled hatred and be free!

##vote No Lynch

Jon is immediately down to no-lynch day one for a silly reason. No-lynching is fundamentally anti-town. Giving up the town's best weapon for eliminating scum to help a third party at best or a liar at worst is asinine. I appreciate that JJ is scumhunting as well but I do not like that he is making his cases for tomorrow. There might be another scum on the no-lynch wagon, although it sounds a little obvious.

Jedit is also scum.

Jedit posted:

So you're claiming to be Mr Lazy. Paging Mr Rolecop to the thread, cleanup required on page 4.

Lurker call-out when the game started last night might be some kind of record.

Jedit posted:

Alternately: you said you needed a voted no lynch to win. So, we ignore you completely and you never win. No wasted lynch, no you leaving the game, you just keep the numbers of non-scum up and thereby help Town.

Of course there's absolutely no way you're telling the truth, so tonight you probably draw an investigation from someone and get killed tomorrow.

Jedit posted:

If your win condition doesn't preclude anyone else's, we don't need to kill you. If your win condition supersedes anyone else's, we just need to stop you. Therefore, we should never vote to no lynch; in fact, if it's a choice between there being a no lynch and killing you, we should kill you. This eliminates any chance that you may be lying, either about your win condition or us needing to vote for it.

Does it sound at all like Jedit doesn't believe Taste in the second post? Moreover, what a bizarre thing to disbelieve.

Grandicap posted:

Confirmation post, also Mags is town. TT is 3rd party and I don't care to help him with his wincondition. That is all.

Grandi is also scum. Popping in, calling a player town and saying that you don't care about a 3rd party is probably one of the most meaningless and inoffensive opinions you could put forward. It's some Vintage Scum poo poo, to be sure.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I didn't see that either of you voted to no-lynch. I dunno, I think all these no-lynch votes are fundamentally scummy or silly, but something about Jon bugs me more than either of your votes. I'm not sure whether it's the post where he talks about his scum play, or where he says he'd be down to vote Magnus tomorrow, but Jon gives me bad gut gurgles.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MildManeredManikin posted:

Eh. If TT is telling the truth then voting him is mechanically the same as voting nobody as far as people who aren't TT are concerned.

I'm not sure I understand. Why do we care whether or not TT is telling the truth when it is against our best interests either way?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Alternatively, we could just lynch scum today.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

Oh, is it that easy?

It's a lot easier to lynch scum if we play the game rather than if we give up and make a dumb bullshit baby move today.

You guys can phone it in if you want, or you could comment on Jon, Jedit, or Grandi. All of them are scum so you can't really go wrong.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yes, why lunch anyone when there's a possibility we could lunch a town?

I've seen town lose as a result of an early 3p lynch that gave them no information several times.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

So let's say we lynch someone else today, leaving TT alive. What do we do tomorrow? Ignore him? The day after that? Assuming your grand theory of the three scum isn't right, do you have a solution for the situation I described above if we continue to leave him alive?

Also this is the most hit-the-ground-running D1 I've ever seen so what are you even talking about saying that people are giving up or phoning it in. This isn't a jokephase turbo. People are voting and giving reasons for their vote, which is more than you can say about a lot of D1s. This whole post of yours makes no drat sense.

It's true, if we continually lunch town we would lose! So, let's lunch scum instead of town. I understand that isn't easy, but it doesn't get any easier as a result of no-lynching. I don't think TT is scum, so I don't want to lunch him.

A vote for a no-lunch is not a real vote. "Because it's nice" isn't a real reason.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I'm having trouble thinking of them now, but back in '09 or '10 there was a Cowboy Bebop game I co-modded where town lynched a claimed 3p early on and then struggled with a lack of meaningful information the rest of the game. I could dig them out of the completed games list if you want, but only if you comment on Jon, Jedit, or Grandi.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ah I sure am I fan of ransoming information.

To be honest, your reads are trash.

More specifically, JJ is giving off a pretty town perspective and Grandi and Jedit haven't really done anything warranting a strong read. I particularly don't like your case on grandi, which just feels lazy.

You could have saved yourself the time and just not posted instead of saying "nah." This is what day one scumhunting looks like dude. I don't see you making any better arguments for scum and I'm not going to intentionally lynch someone I do not think is scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I gave you my opinions. JJ is town. I am leaning town for Grandi as well.

Coming to a conclusion without showing your reasoning isn't helpful.

Somber, why wouldn't you lunch 3p?

I want to lunch scum. I understand it's easier to off Taste or give him his win than to go after a scum, but that won't win us the game. Even if we lunch town today, which admittedly is likely, it gives us something to work off of tomorrow. I don't feel like Taste will give us that same benefit.

If Taste is 3p, who wants to lunch him? Both scum and town. It's an easy push for scum that isn't them. It's an easy push for town because it's someone who isn't town. So, if Taste flips 3p, what does that tell us? How do you discern motivations from that flip?

Jedit posted:

So do I, which is why I think TT is outright lying. All my "speculation" in that regard has been to deflect people from believing him.

My personal belief is that he's a Jester; it's consistent with making a claim that will lead to scum not killing him and Town killing him when we find out he lied.

There's not a Jester in this game. Why would you assume there is a Jester in this game? That's a bizarre assumption.

Rarity posted:

Ok so MMM. For starters, I don't like his attempt to force the lynch onto Taste. Like the no lynch bandwagon it's an easy, safe vote. I think his read (or lack of read) on Jedit and Grandi are genuine and it's designed to make Somber look scummy. I did forget he claimed miller though. I've never seen scum try to get away with a miller claim before and it's enough for me to hold off on laying down a vote right now but not to let go of my suspicions.

I think it's important to discard the Miller claim. There's been several times in the recent past where scum have won off of claims when they shouldn't have. I won Arrentia as scum because I was a vig. Fry got through Dwarfia on a bulletproof claim.

punt, thanks for responding. I don't expect anyone to lunch Jon today because he's trying and making pointed insights but I can't shake my gut feeling.

##vote Grandicap

I reread Rarity and I have no idea how Grandi could think she's scum this game. He makes a bad point in a very bad way.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jedit posted:

Please explain how you know the complete setup of the game.

I have played a lot of mafia. I think I have seen one Jester, ever. Everyone yelled at the mod afterwards. I am going to assume there is not a Jester unless there is direct evidence otherwise. I'm also going to guess that no one is a Hypercharger or a Beloved Princess.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

busb posted:

Somber i don't know if you are scum or not yet but you have good opinions on Day 1 so :respek: lets do this.

I'm super glad you're playing this mafia.

Asiina, if that is your real name, explain how Taste remaining alive is going to screw us and negatively impact lunching scum.

Oh hey MMM, I thought of another game. Dwarfia! There was a large 3p faction that was actually completely town, but because town spent days fretting over them, we didn't lunch the scrums. Also, I feel like I owe you a pass after Apocalypse World, but you should tell me now if you're scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Isn't it a multi-day distraction if we're in more or less the same place tomorrow? I dunno Asiina, I'm less worried about mylo and more worried about today. I get it now, I just think this is a way more beneficial course of action.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Grandicap posted:

I think it is mostly this post. She said that a thing was scummy, realized that the real scummy thing is that she didn't vote with what she said was scummy, so because she wanted to seem to uphold her town-thoughts of scum voted punt.

Her stated driver of the vote is the no-lynch being scummy, and Punt was her choice out of the nolynchers because he was low content (less than 24 hours into the game). But when Punt pointed out he was low content because he went to sleep, she unvoted and dropped the no lynch thing being scummy alltogether. It feels like scum manufacturing what a town mind might want to thing without understanding why it would think that.

It's day one and content doesn't generate itself. I don't think she's dropped the no-lunch thing at all, she mentions it pretty recently and I agree with it.

You're coming up short trying to explain away this vote. You're not making a real argument as to why we should lunch Rarity, you're playing defense.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'd be ok with no-lynching, to be honest. TT is good people, I'm fine with him getting his win.

Not down with this post at all.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Grandicap posted:

I disagree?

Well, I guess we're at odds then!

It's a little baffling to me that anyone could read Rarity as scum this game, I've never seen her play more town. I don't like how you framed your response and I'm still happy with my vote. If you don't want my vote then you should make an argument for someone other than Rarity.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Grandicap posted:

I might reframe my case on her at some point, or even case someone else if I see other scummy behavior, but I am not going to switch my case to someone else explicitly because you disagree with me. If you are still happy with your vote on me, I have no problem with that. Vote away.

I'm a bit perplexed by that post. Are you asking me to pander to you and drop a read I think is decent just because you disagree with the read? Just because you are voting me?

Naw, I'm just saying that I'm pushing for your lunch.

Deadline is tomorrow. With all the no-lunch votes we have to start talking now if we want anyone lunched.

Your Personal Muse posted:

I like this post

I dislike this post. Who are the scums, YPM?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey, Grandi's explanation of his vote on Rarity was more defensive than persuasive, and we should lunch him.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Grandicap posted:

I think it is mostly this post.1 She said that a thing was scummy, realized that the real scummy thing is that she didn't vote with what she said was scummy, so because she wanted to seem to uphold her town-thoughts of scum voted punt.2

Her stated driver of the vote is the no-lynch being scummy, and Punt was her choice out of the nolynchers because he was low content (less than 24 hours into the game). But when Punt pointed out he was low content because he went to sleep, she unvoted and dropped the no lynch thing being scummy alltogether. It feels like scum manufacturing what a town mind might want to thing without understanding why it would think that.

1. You seem like you're backing away, albeit softly, from your point. "I think it is mostly this post" is hardly a strong opinion. The whole post feels like you're trying to explain away your reasoning more than it feels like you're making an argument for Rarity to be lunched.

2. Actually I started drinking and the wording here is confusing so I'm going probably going to stop and go to sleep, but this is disingenuous. What do you think about her more recent posts? Specifically, how she goes after MMM? There's some selective reading going on here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Your Personal Muse posted:

It seems that you are only doing this to change the meta of millers. Am I wrong or is there something else

busb is right that MMM is coasting. He won't tell me who the scums are, and that's pretty rude.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
haha, super lame MMM.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Puntification posted:

Hey somb, would you be willing to vote mmm today?

yeah. I feel better about Grandi and I told MMM I'd give him a pass today but I was lying.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hey people voting me, what makes me scummier than the other people who have the same opinions as me? I'm not the only person who wants Taste gone. Is it just that I claimed miller? The thing you're supposed to do?

The other people are still trying to contribute to finding scum and you are not.

Punt and Rarity are spot-on. ##vote MildManeredManikin

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I never really considered it to be discouraging scum hunting, because I thought scum hunting could still be done both this day and the next day. My preference is just to lynch TT now and carry on from there.

Have you actually called anyone scummy yet?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Maybe if you made actual posts where you hunted the scums I wouldn't have to break my promises. Didn't think of that now, did you? Jerk. :colbert:

To be fair, you did self-doublevote last game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Somber, I like your points on Granidcap earlier, but I am not really sure where you are going with this MMM thing. I mean, he could just call anyone scummy even if he's scum, so I don't know why that is so such a big thing to you. He said he wasn't feeling well, give him a chance to do something other than defend himself.

What do you mean? Putting down solid opinions is really important, everyone should have at least one other person in this game that they're pushing. Everything he's posted so far has been wishy-washy.

I get being frustrated, but that's when you need to dig in and, y'know, actually play Mafia.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Does this mean you think he's scum or what?

White noise is a scumtell. If you're around but not actually actively scumhunting then you are, yourself, probably a scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah I get that, but when you constantly attack someone they get put in a bit of a bind. Either defend yourself and then you get attacked for still not putting down opinions, or ignore the attack and call someone scum, but then you get more heat for brushing off the attack and only giving opinions when forced to.

I mean, MMM got himself into this situation, but at some point you have to step back and give people time to form opinions. It's still only D1 here. Once MMM does lay down some opinions then go after them if they look scummy but you aren't going to get much out of going GIVE ME OPINIONS RIGHT NOW OR DIE.

The deadline is in five hours.

I really disagree that ignoring an attack is scummy. I think it's hella townie to dig in and make a better argument.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

Would vote.

Come on Rarity, you have to give him more time :ohdear:

I'm down for Grandi and I'll do anything to not no-lunch/taste-lunch today.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Do you have anything more to offer than a sideline snipe?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
~t~h~i~s~ ~i~s~ ~d~u~m~b~

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##vote no-lynch

If we can't do anything meaningful today I'd rather throw taste a bone than be a dick.

:redhammer:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
:unsmith: Taste was too gentle for this world.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

busb posted:

i'm gonna lynch you somber. gonna do it so hard.
you have betrayed me and my ideals.

Hey busb, I tried super hard to make something happen today, but the No-Lynch voting block was too strong. I'm happy with the call I made, given the options available.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

busb posted:

hi i am super mad at that entire day1 and i hate you all. especiaaly somber who has BETRAYED me in the most insidious fashion.

I think we need to consider if MMMs useless caseposts on the flipee are faked or not. On first read i was incredulous at how dumb it was but it really felt like something that had been written/thought of before the day even opened.
MMM did you create the case during the night then posted it down without reading the flip, or did you do everything post flip without reading it.

everyone else, do you think he faked the case?

ypm: awful case but i guess it's day1 again.
Somber: you're a scum i will nail you.

busbee you are not really doing any scumhunting here! you're asking everyone else to do it for you. c-, I am onto you.

no, I don't think Manikin faked that case. I don't think lunching him today is a smart move, he's driving most of our posting. it is weird that he dismisses Jedit out of hand for making a completely valid point on Magnus that I found more compelling than his case. I would vote Magnus with my brain but not my guts.

I am still feeling Grandi. I don't like his post where he gives up on pushing a real lunch in favor of the Taste vote. That's probably hypocritical but it sounded like he realized there was enough momentum to pull it off and went for it. I don't care for votes that are self-admittedly 'lazy' and I'm wary of letting him coast through this game.

##vote Grandicap

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

It doesn't really read like a joke to me. If it is a joke, it reads as awkward and a little pointless.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hello busb and welcome to you are doom

busb posted:

hi i am super mad at that entire day1 and i hate you all. especiaaly somber who has BETRAYED me in the most insidious fashion.

I think we need to consider if MMMs useless caseposts on the flipee are faked or not. On first read i was incredulous at how dumb it was but it really felt like something that had been written/thought of before the day even opened.
MMM did you create the case during the night then posted it down without reading the flip, or did you do everything post flip without reading it.

everyone else, do you think he faked the case?

ypm: awful case but i guess it's day1 again.
Somber: you're a scum i will nail you.

busb talked a big game yesterday but at the end of the day he was still voting TT. that's not a big deal by itself, but busb is projecting this image that he was crusading for the town yesterday, but actually he never ever did any scumhunting. all of his posts project suspicion but he doesn't push votes or make pointed arguments, he's trying to have his cake and eat it as well by complaining about yesterday's lynch situation whilst not actually working to prevent it.

busb posted:

##vote MMM

Time for a good old policy lynch. I hate the SA meta and i will fight it.

This lame policy lynch is what busb sits on most of the day. not a real case and barely a real vote. the next real post he makes about MMM is two days later and just consists of this.

busb posted:

Friends let's ignore the 3P nonsense and lynch a scum - MMM - who is seeking to coast on a miller claim.

zzz

Here besb comes close to making a point, but then he just says that he "hates" the post. He draws zero alignment inferences from it. That's bizarre, he doesn't even comment on the actual content of the case despite quoting it.

If you go through basb's history, it's nearly all complaining and theorytalk about the Taste situation. Bosb never really works to fix the problem he perceives, yet feels like he deserves credit for his attitude yesterday.

##vote busb

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Well I guess my thoughts on Grandi were all wrong.

yeah, but at least it saves us a lynch.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

I think YPM is a scum for his terrible attempt to turn a one sentence post from aC into something.

it's honestly fine though. i posture to get reactions all the time. ps how else do you expect anyone to scrumhoont if not by examining and talking about small points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

busb posted:

And I am utterly serious about my hate of millers claiming day1

I'd really like to claim as a Miller when I'm not, as town. It would save the cop an investigation!

Whenever I try to have fun I get lynched though.

• Locked thread