Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Is this the right time to ask folks on this thread to extend the courtesy and refer to Archie Panjabi's surname as Panjabi and not Punjabi? Appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bornbytheriver posted:

Is this the right time to ask folks on this thread to extend the courtesy and refer to Archie Panjabi's surname as Panjabi and not Punjabi? Appreciate it.

I hope we didn't hurt her feelings.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Am I the only one who hated this episode? I love Elsbeth, but the whole distracting her with those images was just stupid. Kalinda somehow tracking down the Russian dude and taking control of his computer, ugh just terrible. And the Kalinda/FBI lady on again, off again stuff is just boring. Probably the worst episode in several years.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Yeah, aside from the Kalina/Cary drama and Alicia/Peter conflict, the rest was just kinda dumb.

David Lee was pretty good though.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
All those eccentric visions had me worried Elsbeth was going to go Dark Swan.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Geno posted:

Yeah, aside from the Kalina/Cary drama and Alicia/Peter conflict, the rest was just kinda dumb.

David Lee was pretty good though.

Pretty much what I was going to post. The cockroach in Diane's drawer, the lack of tension or even much urgency about the computer problem. Cary and everyone in his law firm have lost all their electronic data and he's asking Kalinda if he can come over for a booty call...it was like the writers were trying to lighten the mood of the past couple of episodes with humour but not much of it worked.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 21, 2014

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Last season's finale, remeber when Florrick/Agos were secretly recording LG and Cary found out Kalinda was just playing him to get secrets for LG? Did Cary ever confront her about that? Trying to remember...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geno posted:

Last season's finale, remeber when Florrick/Agos were secretly recording LG and Cary found out Kalinda was just playing him to get secrets for LG? Did Cary ever confront her about that? Trying to remember...

Kinda yes, kinda no. He knew she's not exactly to be trusted but didn't care because he is secretly a chef who just really wanted his sausage in the Pan(jabi).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kalinda and Alicia weren't in any scenes together again...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bass Bottles posted:

All those eccentric visions had me worried Elsbeth was going to go Dark Swan.
Speaking of eccentric what was up with the gigantic earrings Alicia was wearing early in the ep? Anyone get a screen grab of those monstrous things?
Were they part of the 'distract Elsbeth' plan because they sure distracted me.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Does anyone have a link to the S1, S2, or S3 threads?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
They may not have existed. This show was not on the radar here at all until recently.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

Speaking of eccentric what was up with the gigantic earrings Alicia was wearing early in the ep? Anyone get a screen grab of those monstrous things?

Found the answer: the episode was named Shiny Objects

WHERE IS MY COFFEE
Apr 22, 2009

WHO PUT THAT UP THERE
YOU GUYS ARE ASSHOLES

FuriousxGeorge posted:

They may not have existed. This show was not on the radar here at all until recently.

I remember posting in at least one older thread about this show. I don't have a link, though.

I agree the episode was weak, but it was worth it to get a peek into Elsbeth's hilarious psychological dialogues with herself.

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_good_wife/photos/1002618/daniel-lawson-s-top-outfits-from-shiny-objects-/

"OK, it's time to explain those earrings!!!! In the script Alicia decides to put on the very large, sparkling earrings to distract Elsbeth. But in the editing room, all references to the earrings were cut. So suddenly Alicia is in very out of character giant earrings!! Ha! Such is the world of TV!!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Boo they actually managed to evict them. :argh:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Wow, the show has been great with not hamming it up on, "Hey guys, don't you miss Will?"

...because they just saved it up for that one last gut punch. I miss Will. :saddowns:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Somehow this season is just irritating me. Up until last season I was enjoying things. Now it's about a race for office, and Cary drama and I don't really seem to like any of the main characters anymore.

Today's episode had a bunch of rich people avoiding paying for health and safety requirements in the workplace, a privileged guy trying to get away with a pretty blatant parole violation, and Alicia heavily bending her moral convictions (again).

The Elsbeth and ASA romance thing feels really poorly done, which is too bad because they've handled her really well up until now.

I'm edging towards giving up if things don't turn around in a few episodes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ While I still like a lot about this show, I agree that many of the ongoing storylines are far from compelling. Cary seems to not give a gently caress about anything and much of his story is really full of contrivances and coincidences.
I just realized that Will had his own legal problems and was not allowed to practice for 6 months and now they're doing similar plot with Cary Agos but he's not handling it well.

Bellakitty posted:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_good_wife/photos/1002618/daniel-lawson-s-top-outfits-from-shiny-objects-/

"OK, it's time to explain those earrings!!!! In the script Alicia decides to put on the very large, sparkling earrings to distract Elsbeth. But in the editing room, all references to the earrings were cut. So suddenly Alicia is in very out of character giant earrings!! Ha! Such is the world of TV!!"

All righty then, what about this episode! In the early scenes Diane was wearing a necklace that looked like the Halloween chains I saw at a dollar store on the weekend.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Boo they actually managed to evict them. :argh:
Yeah that was so easy and...absurd.
And a season or two back they (Lockhart/Gardner) were having trouble paying the rent, so it seems odd that the new start-up firm can afford the high-rent location. Their CFO is going to be found hanging from a noose LOL.
And after last week's computer virus shenanigans they should find an IT company to set up and manage their servers and network. But nope, that crisis was dealt with so it's all good, let's just grab our laptops and move into the new space today!

Don't know if anyone else mentioned it but it's bizarre to watch on Sunday nights as Kyle MachLachan plays a twisted, sex-obsessed ASA and then on Tuesdays he's an evil alien monster on Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 27, 2014

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Mu Zeta posted:

Kalinda and Alicia weren't in any scenes together again...

And another one!

Sorry, I'll stop until they are actually in a scene together :anasta:

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Binary Logic posted:

All righty then, what about this episode! In the early scenes Diane was wearing a necklace that looked like the Halloween chains I saw at a dollar store on the weekend.

Those necklaces are in style right now. I don't get why, but they are.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010
This might have been one of the worst episodes of the Good Wife.

What that hell was that thing between Elsbeth and the ASA? It was bad when it previously popped up but somehow got exponentially worse.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How can they afford the new office? Are they that well off now, again? That seems like it is several factors of ten dollars higher in price.

I don't like politician Alicia - the stories and conflicts aren't that interesting. It seems like they could've spent all that crap political religious interview/whatever/Eli's daughter time on what would have been a much more interesting plot of them kicking out Michael J Fox's firm.

Is this how they're writing out Kalinda? How weird.

Also, it does seem weird that Cary would have gone to that Harvard thing since he knew it was out of state, or at least would have asked the court for permission or something.

I really felt this was a weak episode.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SubCrid TC posted:

Somehow this season is just irritating me. Up until last season I was enjoying things. Now it's about a race for office, and Cary drama and I don't really seem to like any of the main characters anymore.

Today's episode had a bunch of rich people avoiding paying for health and safety requirements in the workplace, a privileged guy trying to get away with a pretty blatant parole violation, and Alicia heavily bending her moral convictions (again).

The Elsbeth and ASA romance thing feels really poorly done, which is too bad because they've handled her really well up until now.

I'm not sure this is the cause, but the inability to make a continuous arc out of things like Cary's arrest, Alicia's candidacy, and FAL makes the show feel too much like a procedural.

You don't really expect the show to move forward at this point.

I still like the characters and general writing, though, so I'm sticking around.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Ither posted:

This might have been one of the worst episodes of the Good Wife.

Last week's was worse. But yeah, this one wasn't much better.

This show is quickly going off the rails...

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

SubCrid TC posted:

This is a really good comment and is the reason I seem to be losing interest in the show. Who is the sympathetic character right now? At the beginning of the season it was easy to sympathize with Cary as being wrongly accused but as the season goes on it becomes tougher and tougher.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I like the political plotline for Alicia, the conflict it left Grace in at the end of the episode was pretty heartbreaking. The thing is though, I do think she eventually drops out. This level of personal compromise just doesn't fit her. The show will suck if she loses, the show will suck if she is elected, so eventually dropping out is like the only option unless they want to end the series on her winning which seems at least one season premature.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
The criticisms of the recent 2 episodes are legitimate and I broadly agree that the writer's have hit stage stupid.

Still, I appreciate the ridiculousness of this stupid stage.

The judge referred to a witness with a hard to pronounce surname as Mr Chum Hum.

Cary's probation officer said Lemond twice.

Fantasia - is the name of Elsbeth's PA. Seriously.

As for this episodes's fashionable faux pas, don't forget about the Amish/Victorian style blouse worn by Elsbeth and the growing number of the colourful totes she is carrying:

bornbytheriver fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The writers have always been weird when it comes to black folks. I was hoping Taye Diggs would improve their terrible track record but he's been pretty absent from the last 2 episodes. Alicia's inability to tell black people apart is so cringe Worthy I hope it bites her in the rear end during her campaign.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Drifter posted:

How can they afford the new office? Are they that well off now, again? That seems like it is several factors of ten dollars higher in price.

Well you see when the previous week they couldn't even scrap together 50k to pay off the Russian hacker, now they are flush with cash and can move into this prime real estate!

edit: still can't believe the writers would have let someone as conniving as David Lee give Diane what she wanted without getting her signature for the lease right then and there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 28, 2014

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Koalas March posted:

The writers have always been weird when it comes to black folks. I was hoping Taye Diggs would improve their terrible track record but he's been pretty absent from the last 2 episodes. Alicia's inability to tell black people apart is so cringe Worthy I hope it bites her in the rear end during her campaign.

Seriously, what happened to Taye Diggs? New primary lawyer, except *poof* he's just gone.

Kyle MacLachlan just seemed to be channeling too much Agent Cooper for me with his delight in Elsbeth's quirks. Speaking of which, she's barely functional as a lawyer now compared to how she started on the show, scrappy and interesting and with non-linear thinking. I don't remember her freezing up in court before this season. PENGUINS I DON'T EVEN LIKE PENGUINS

Someone mentioned Kalinda and her FBI on/off girlfriend. Come on, they have used that exact device twice a season since the show started. You are the dumbest FBI agent ever coined and you're stupid and desperate and I hate that stupid plotline. Boo hoo, she won't talk about her feelings with me! Gosh darnit I already gave her all the secret insider info that could get me fired.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wouldn't Florrick Agos be hosed if Alicia won? Cary will certainly be pushed out if Alicia wasn't there. And where the gently caress was Robyn that episode?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

bornbytheriver posted:

The criticisms of the recent 2 episodes are legitimate and I broadly agree that the writer's have hit stage stupid.

Still, I appreciate the ridiculousness of this stupid stage.

The judge referred to a witness with a hard to pronounce surname as Mr Chum Hum.

Cary's probation officer said Lemond twice.

Fantasia - is the name of Elsbeth's PA. Seriously.

As for this episodes's fashionable faux pas, don't forget about the Amish/Victorian style blouse worn by Elsbeth and the growing number of the colourful totes she is carrying:

Whenever she appears onscreen I am reminded of a line from X-Files episode, Josie Chung's 'From Outer Space':
"One of them was disguised as a woman, but wasn't pulling it off. Like, her hair was red, but it was a little too red, y'know?"

Mu Zeta posted:

Wouldn't Florrick Agos be hosed if Alicia won? Cary will certainly be pushed out if Alicia wasn't there. And where the gently caress was Robyn that episode?
Alicia wins, Cary ends up in jail leaving Diane and Howard Lyman in charge :eek:

hepscat posted:

Someone mentioned Kalinda and her FBI on/off girlfriend. Come on, they have used that exact device twice a season since the show started. You are the dumbest FBI agent ever coined and you're stupid and desperate and I hate that stupid plotline. Boo hoo, she won't talk about her feelings with me! Gosh darnit I already gave her all the secret insider info that could get me fired.
After all the visions of Elsbeth's internal thoughts I was hoping we'd get a similar peek into Kalinda's mind and see what she is thinking about.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Koalas March posted:

He'll probably come back as the "villain", when he and his diverse partners try to wrest control of the company. :rolleyes:

The main reason I think Alicia won't win the race is because the writers show no interest and particular talent in writing political drama. Unless it's some kind of ticket out of the show for Julianna Margulies, which is hard to believe, since I can't imagine her ever leaving the show.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This season keeps undermining its own stakes, plots, and key character beats, which is why I think it's really hard to get invested. Diane just had a triumphant moment where she Walked Out of Lockhart Gardner Like A Goddamn Boss For The Last Time, but two episodes later she moves back in. Alicia is running for State's Attorney, but we know she isn't really into it because she's simultaneously also moving into prime office space in her firm. Cary goes to jail and is on probation, but he doesn't seem to care about it so why should we. Kalinda is still a boring black box, and Assistant State's Attorney Finn Polmar is basically just background decoration.

I used to be invested in the conflict and relationship between the characters, but there doesn't seem to be any of that that's any fun this season. No LG/FA feud, no David Lee trying to undermine Diane, no Glenn Childs or Wendy Scott-Carr, no Clarke Hayden. Castro is a motherfucker, but I don't really care that much, because he doesn't live or work or interact with the main cast that much. There are no personal stakes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

I don't like politician Alicia - the stories and conflicts aren't that interesting. It seems like they could've spent all that crap political religious interview/whatever/Eli's daughter time on what would have been a much more interesting plot of them kicking out Michael J Fox's firm.

Is this how they're writing out Kalinda? How weird.

Also, it does seem weird that Cary would have gone to that Harvard thing since he knew it was out of state, or at least would have asked the court for permission or something.

I really felt this was a weak episode.

They also can't simply walk away from their current lease so they'll be paying for both office spaces for a while.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Binary Logic posted:

They also can't simply walk away from their current lease so they'll be paying for both office spaces for a while.

They mentioned taking a hit. I think DIane was saying they'd take a breach of contract or whatever in order to get out of there. I twas when she screamed at the cockroach. The ONE cockroach.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

hepscat posted:

Seriously, what happened to Taye Diggs? New primary lawyer, except *poof* he's just gone.

Mu Zeta posted:

And where the gently caress was Robyn that episode?

I'd imagine they'll be back and it's part of huge cast syndrome in order to lower costs per episode.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I think it's a shame that they're moving out of the old factory building. As a set, I much prefer it to to L&G.

However, I suppose it's some sort of larger parable of Florrick / Agos is turning into L&G slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Junior G-man posted:

However, I suppose it's some sort of larger parable of Florrick / Agos is turning into L&G slowly.

Just in time for Alicia to get out. :laugh:

Alicia leaves, Cary gets ousted, goes to prison, Diane in charge now...kid can't catch a break.

• Locked thread