Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geno posted:

Is Taye Diggs gone or what? I'd figure he'd at least be like the old dude from Sopranos that shows up every now and then but he's been MIA for like 5 episodes.

The whole show has been MIA for 5 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I still don't like the season, but someone on the tweets made a good point that Prady is there to be a better candidate - and in some way human - than Alicia to show the bad sides of her we haven't really been exposed to.

Or a way for the writers to confront a potential Mary Sue.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

About a month ago I decided I needed a break during a particularly dull plotline in the 6th season of The West Wing and thought I'd spend a few days seeing what The Good Wife was all about since zoux and Mu Zeta kept talking it up in Couch Chat.

Now here I am, with Leo McGarry still lying dead(?) in the forests of Maryland and 5 and a half seasons of Alicia Florrick being awesome under my belt. Holy poo poo you guys weren't joking when you talked up how good this show is. Season 5 in particular was just unbelievable, as you may have gathered by me popping in to express my outrage over Will's death.

There's so much I could rave about how good this show is. I don't think Season 6 has been too bad, although I do hope that the campaign storyline doesn't last too much longer, regardless of how it ends up. The show's biggest strength is its variety, and focusing solely on Cary's case and Alicia's campaign is what's making this season feel a bit like it's dragging. I'm confident it will pick up though - it's not like the other seasons didn't have a couple rough patches (like the whole Kalinda's husband story, yikes).

I'll just conclude by stating that Colin Sweeny is the loving best and he better be back again this season.

Regy Rusty posted:

"You like manga? I find the style bracingly visceral." - Dylan Baker

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 21, 2014

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Yea, I just binged the entire show as well, and have pretty much the same thoughts as you. Kalinda's husband was the goddamn worst. Holy gently caress. I really wish they had done more with Walter from Fringe's character, too. But yea, Sweeney is great. Eli is still solid, though he's gotten a bit...boring?

This show really needs a Will. :(

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like Finn, but he feels so separate from the rest of the cast; unlike Will where his relationship with Alicia was a big part of the character but not the only one, Finn is pretty much Alicia's friend/romantic interest and nothing else.

Anyway, I do think this season is not as good as the previous one, but it is still very good. I want Niles to win the election.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

radlum posted:

I like Finn, but he feels so separate from the rest of the cast; unlike Will where his relationship with Alicia was a big part of the character but not the only one, Finn is pretty much Alicia's friend/romantic interest and nothing else.

Anyway, I do think this season is not as good as the previous one, but it is still very good. I want Niles to win the election.

Kelsey Grammer should be one of his commercial voice overs saying all that blah blah "Vote for this guy" stuff.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Looks like Alicia is over Will's murder since she can make a jokes about someone bleeding out and dying.
Seems very uncharacteristic for her esp while running for State Attorney but maybe it was funny at the time.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
Allright that episode was amazing and I'm feeling angry emotions towards Bishop :argh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:byewhore: later Cary

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Some people think David Lee is someone to avoid. But Alicia's former "partner" was suspended from practicing law for 6 months and then killed. And her current partner ain't faring much better!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is why we watch the show: the legal, not the political stuff.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Kalinda threatening Bishop in his own home was incredibly intense.

Poor Cary. They've pulled wins out of their asses so many times on this show I really thought they were going to do it again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Former prosecutor spending 2 years in jail sounds like a fun time for all.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

While that was a good episode, I feel pretty dissatisfied with the way the Cary situation was resolved. Why have his trial dominate this season and then just limp in with the plea bargain. They could have gotten to that point much earlier without dragging it out for half the season.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I probably missed it, but when was the 30 foot restraining order between Kalinda and Cary lifted? They spent nearly the entire episode together.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bass Bottles posted:

I probably missed it, but when was the 30 foot restraining order between Kalinda and Cary lifted? They spent nearly the entire episode together.

DOes it still apply if it's directly supervised?

Chances are the writers either forgot or it just was no longer applicable and that scene had to be imaginary due to the focus of Alicia's further slide down into depravity and questionable moral ethics as a result of exposure to the political beast.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Drifter posted:

DOes it still apply if it's directly supervised?

Chances are the writers either forgot or it just was no longer applicable and that scene had to be imaginary due to the focus of Alicia's further slide down into depravity and questionable moral ethics as a result of exposure to the political beast.

I think it was 24/7, because I remember when it first started Kalinda had to sit in the back of the court room and text Cary to communicate with him. Though I'm not sure what the point of it ever was if they were allowed to communicate by cell phone.

When she hired the bodyguard in the last episode they made a big deal about her breaking the rules by being in Cary's apartment with him, but in this episode she was seated right behind him in court and they even stood together in the court hallway talking.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 25, 2014

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I have no doubt at all that Kalinda will somehow 'sacrifice' herself to get Kerry out of prison in some kind of weird redemption final act.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Junior G-man posted:

I have no doubt at all that Kalinda will somehow 'sacrifice' herself to get Kerry out of prison in some kind of weird redemption final act.

She'll flirt with the now emotionally unstable prosecutor and get her to drop the charges.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
What was happening to ASA Geneva Pine? What was the purpose of alluding to her romantic liason with the detective? Is this some kind of an ironic reference to Cary & Kalinda's relationship? Then why did they show Pine's husband who never set foot in the series before? Just WTF? What's that for?

And what about that idiotic story line with judge trying to buy concert tickets, it's so lame. They have clerks for that!

In one of the previous episodes Alicia said 'Lawyers make bad witnesses'. This one line says all about the season so far. In some way it almost feels like some kind of a piss take on the part of the writers. They know that they are deliberately dragging the audience through the lawyer trying to get out of jail drama and that poo poo makes boring TV but they still show it to you because it's easy TV.

Honestly, I had more interest watching 2 Christians reaching an agreement over which way the wind blows.

And another rant: what was the deal with that girl who was accusing a fellow student of sexually harassing her and all she wanted is to get him excluded from university. They showed Owen taking part in this case. I thought he wasn't talking to Alicia. They brushed this case aside so quickly.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I think the business with the judge and the juror was to show the kind of random poo poo (judge in a good mood, a sympathetic juror suddenly bounced) that can happen in real life to screw up someone's trial. Bit heavyhanded for me.

This season, I agree, is just a bit messy. I wish they'd just kept the plotlines to Florick & Agos, rather than add in all this election poo poo, which does not work at all with the rest of the stories.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They also made the guy with the disability the gooniest looking gently caress on the show.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

I think the business with the judge and the juror was to show the kind of random poo poo (judge in a good mood, a sympathetic juror suddenly bounced) that can happen in real life to screw up someone's trial. Bit heavyhanded for me.

This season, I agree, is just a bit messy. I wish they'd just kept the plotlines to Florick & Agos, rather than add in all this election poo poo, which does not work at all with the rest of the stories.
The judge, the juror, the ADA, Bishop, Alicia. It was sorta weird that they took the theme outside of the courtroom, though.

I think it was a fine point, when it's not trying to be clever about how it telegraphs the theme like Matt Weiner has had a bad penchant for doing for the past ~two seasons.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Ochowie posted:

While that was a good episode, I feel pretty dissatisfied with the way the Cary situation was resolved. Why have his trial dominate this season and then just limp in with the plea bargain. They could have gotten to that point much earlier without dragging it out for half the season.

Something last minute is still gonna save him, right? :( I don't like sad TV.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Well unless they want to dramatically reduce his role in the show they can't really have him be in jail for two years. Unless they do a time jump. But even then, he won't be able to practice law ever again when he gets out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cary's going to get out of jail and immediately get elected President.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

Well unless they want to dramatically reduce his role in the show they can't really have him be in jail for two years. Unless they do a time jump. But even then, he won't be able to practice law ever again when he gets out.

Time jump 2 years and now Cary is a investigator like Kalinda. Also Alicia lost the election to Niles :colbert:

Robin and Taye Diggs died on the way back to their home planets

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Stay away from the news about Ferguson then, that is a true miscarriage of justice. Cary deserves to go to jail. Whatever editing was done that tape is still incriminating, and he has made so many terrible decisions he shouldn't be practising law or running the firm.
Of course he hasn't actually had a case or made any corporate decisions about his law firm in months so he won't be missed anyway :derp:

bornbytheriver posted:

And what about that idiotic story line with judge trying to buy concert tickets, it's so lame. They have clerks for that!

A 60+ year old judge who can't find someone to physically go and pick up tickets for him during the day should just hang up his robe.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 26, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Having caught back up, I just wanted to say that Mr Universe was making Alicia's propaganda commercials.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yay. Cary is so hosed.

quote:

“Hail Mary” – Cary hires a prison consultant to prepare him for incarceration while the team at Florrick/Agos/Lockhart does everything in its power to help him. Meanwhile, Alicia practices for the State’s Attorney candidates’ debate, on THE GOOD WIFE, Sunday, Jan. 4 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. Chris Elliott guest stars as Adrian Fluke, an English professor brought in for Alicia’s debate prep. Domenick Lombardozzi guest stars as Bill Kroft, Cary’s Prison Consultant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTwYyqE0bJc

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 4, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEqrpuU9fYI

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:stare:

Also prison consultant sounds interesting.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Orange Is The New Pinstripe

Regy Rusty posted:

:stare:

Also prison consultant sounds interesting.

"Don't drop the soap" :butt:

But I expect Cary is going to have Bishop's crew protecting him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still expect there to be a last second reveal or whatever that keeps Carrie from going to prison. Like him being murdered :twisted:

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just rewatched the first season and I really appreciate the worldbuilding of the series. I was surprised to see Lemond Bishop in an episode. Also, I like Cary a bit more now that I remember he was fired from the firm and then got revenge at them in the fifth season

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Did they say how long he was sentenced for? They might do a time skip or something for next season.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Did they say how long he was sentenced for? They might do a time skip or something for next season.
The time served in prison would be something like 2-3 years, if I recall correctly.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The episode is titled "Hail Marry" which probably will be the move that keeps Cary out of prison (and might kill Kalinda)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Leave the poor guy alone!" man I love Cuesta.

Kalinda is in for a world of trouble now from so many fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So that's the new Will

• Locked thread