Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

DutchDupe posted:

I feel like years from now, episodes like this won't hold up at all.

It's pretty drat difficult to make timeless comedy or satire, but it certainly was a time-stamp of American news. They always do at least a few episodes like this every season, and some of them are gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

After the Sarcastiball episode, which I didn't think was that good despite being a football fan, I wasn't expecting this one to be that good either. Thankfully this is one of the best episodes they've done I think.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

bobjr posted:

After the Sarcastiball episode, which I didn't think was that good despite being a football fan, I wasn't expecting this one to be that good either. Thankfully this is one of the best episodes they've done I think.
Same.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

What I want to know, did FX have any merchandise that featured ISIS heavily? If so, they gotta be kicking themselves right now. I don't think many people want to be walking around with a t-shirt that says ISIS at the moment.

I think they had mugs and t-shirts with the spy agency logo. Possibly ball caps too. Neither are in their web store now.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 26, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Oh man I wish I knew a drat thing about football so I got these jokes. I think I laughed once or twice, kind of got bored tbh. But glad to see it was just me not getting it and not a problem with the show!

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 26, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

What I want to know, did FX have any merchandise that featured ISIS heavily? If so, they gotta be kicking themselves right now. I don't think many people want to be walking around with a t-shirt that says ISIS at the moment.

I was going to paste a picture of the band ISIS' shirt range (who were awesome), but instead I found this...

(It's from a site that generates t-shirts for pretty much every girls name, so they also have Property of Anne, Property of Sally etc. Probably get you arrested on sight in current climate!)

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
It might be because I'm not american, but I thought the episode was tame. I thought the kickstarter idea was good, and I got that they made fun of themselves for having told this story many times before (I.e. they do something together, Kyle want out, he takes Stan with him who doesn't feel whole hearted about it, Stan want out of that as well, they all, or just Stan and Kyle, get together in the end), but it just wasn't funny.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jarl posted:

It might be because I'm not american, but I thought the episode was tame. I thought the kickstarter idea was good, and I got that they made fun of themselves for having told this story many times before (I.e. they do something together, Kyle want out, he takes Stan with him who doesn't feel whole hearted about it, Stan want out of that as well, they all, or just Stan and Kyle, get together in the end), but it just wasn't funny.

I hate explaining jokes but maybe it'll make you appreciate it more in hindsight:

We have a football (handegg) team called the Washington redskins, which is such a ridiculously offensive name to our native Americans that the trademark for their name was actually pulled. This has a lot of legal repercussions including other companies basically being able to pretend they're you.

The whole kickstarter-let-me-do-nothing startup gag was a shot at people who abuse those services and at silicon valley startups.

that whole "START UP, CASH IN, SELL OUT, BRO DOWN" thing is something that actually happens in out tech industry quite a lot.

The (actual) Redskins owner fighting fruitlessly against the cowboys was a metaphor for what Americans did to our natives.

the Redskins football team behaving like the people they're named for should be fairly obvious.

God I hate explaining jokes but I hope that shed some light on the basics of why this was funny.

I don't even like football but I know personalities like Jerry Jones and some of the controversies in the NFL right now, which you could justifiably totally ignore if you don't live anywhere the NFL gives a gently caress about.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I got the jokes and the references. It just wasn't particularly funny. Especially not "best episode ever" category like some people are saying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Also Dan Snyder with a lone tear down his face was a reference to this:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Jarl posted:

I'm American, and I thought this episode was easily the weakest of the entire season so far. The entire thing felt like super contrived lip service to football fans. I'm not a football fan, and don't care about the whole Redskins debacle. Hopefully, the rest of the season will hold up. I love the new intro though!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I got the jokes and the references. It just wasn't particularly funny. Especially not "best episode ever" category like some people are saying.

It's just some poo poo that needed to be said, even if other people have said it. Also it was pretty loving funny, let your hair down and enjoy some really crass jokes about how awful the indefensible NFL is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Some nice Archer merchandise:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xarcher+isis&_nkw=archer+isis&_sacat=0

I'd wear the shirt if it were free.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

computer parts posted:

Also Dan Snyder with a lone tear down his face was a reference to this:

Which is doubly funny, 'cause that's a white dude in redface.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's just some poo poo that needed to be said, even if other people have said it. Also it was pretty loving funny, let your hair down and enjoy some really crass jokes about how awful the indefensible NFL is.

What crass jokes?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

*Sicilian

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are you adding to my point, or contradicting it? Because if it's the latter, Sicilians are white. Also, never go in against one when death is on the line.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LividLiquid posted:

Are you adding to my point, or contradicting it? Because if it's the latter, Sicilians are white. Also, never go in against one when death is on the line.

Yeah, we officially admitted the Irish, Italians, and Slavic countries into Club Whitey way back when we had a Department of War.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm American, and I thought this episode was easily the weakest of the entire season so far.

I agree, this is probably the worst episode of season 18 to happen so far

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Babe Magnet posted:

I agree, this is probably the worst episode of season 18 to happen so far

And I say it's the best episode of season 18 so far!

Is it possible that both are true?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The truth must be somewhere in the middle.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

hemophilia posted:

I hate explaining jokes but maybe it'll make you appreciate it more in hindsight:

We have a football (handegg) team called the Washington redskins, which is such a ridiculously offensive name to our native Americans that the trademark for their name was actually pulled. This has a lot of legal repercussions including other companies basically being able to pretend they're you.

The whole kickstarter-let-me-do-nothing startup gag was a shot at people who abuse those services and at silicon valley startups.

that whole "START UP, CASH IN, SELL OUT, BRO DOWN" thing is something that actually happens in out tech industry quite a lot.

The (actual) Redskins owner fighting fruitlessly against the cowboys was a metaphor for what Americans did to our natives.

the Redskins football team behaving like the people they're named for should be fairly obvious.

God I hate explaining jokes but I hope that shed some light on the basics of why this was funny.

I don't even like football but I know personalities like Jerry Jones and some of the controversies in the NFL right now, which you could justifiably totally ignore if you don't live anywhere the NFL gives a gently caress about.

I understood the jokes; I just didn't find it that funny. I thought maybe it would be more funny as an American. Not because an American would have a better chance at understanding the jokes if that makes sense.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LividLiquid posted:

It's mostly funny, but that guy was a pretty big advocate/activist for the rights of Natives.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

My bad. :v:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's mostly funny, but that guy was a pretty big advocate/activist for the rights of Natives.

Who cares what he accomplished, that's racist and I'm better than him because of it. Where have you been, it's 2014!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jarl posted:

I understood the jokes; I just didn't find it that funny.

Sucks duder, maybe next time.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
This week's episode is entitled "Gluten Free Ebola"

South Park Studios posted:

South Park Goes Gluten Free on an all-new episode Wednesday, October 1 at 10:00 P.M. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

——–
All-New Season 18 Episodes will be Available to Stream in HD Exclusively on Hulu And SouthPark.cc.com
——–

NEW YORK, September 29, 2014 – The consequences of eating gluten are dire on an all-new episode of “South Park” titled “Gluten Free Ebola” premiering Wednesday, October 1 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

Mr. Mackey is now gluten free and everyone is annoyed when he won’t quit preaching about how great he feels. But, after witnessing a disturbing demonstration of what happens to your body when you do eat gluten, South Park becomes the first town in America to go gluten free.

The all-new episodes from this season are available in HD exclusively on Hulu and South Park Studios the day after they premiere. The episodes are also available for purchase in SD and HD on Amazon Instant Video, iTunes, XBOX Live, Google Play, Sony Entertainment Network and Vudu.

Named “One of the All-Time Greatest TV Shows” by Entertainment Weekly, Comedy Central’s “South Park” launched on August 13, 1997. The series airs Wednesday nights at 10:00 p.m. and repeats later that night at midnight (all times ET/PT). “South Park” season 18 will begin rolling out on Comedy Central channels internationally in October.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are the co-creators of “South Park.” Parker, Stone, Anne Garefino and Frank C. Agnone II are the Executive Producers of the Emmy® and Peabody® Award-winning “South Park.” Eric Stough, Adrien Beard, Bruce Howell and Vernon Chatman are Producers. “South Park’s” Web site is SouthPark.cc.com.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bull3964 posted:

American Express recently launched a smart debit card tied in with an app which allowed you to make payments by swiping your phone in front of compatible devices. It was called ISIS.

As you might have guessed, it has a new name.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the Wehrmacht is super useful.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

CBJSprague24 posted:

American Express recently launched a smart debit card tied in with an app which allowed you to make payments by swiping your phone in front of compatible devices. It was called ISIS.

As you might have guessed, it has a new name.

There's a parade here in New Orleans with an all women crewe named Isis. It's been around for every Mardi Gras for 40+ years.

Here's what they have to say.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krewe-of-Isis/85829113147

quote:

So my phone and email has been buzzing with messages from The Order of Isis in Mobile and the Media wanting to know if we would be changing our name because of the acronym that the terrorist organization is using. My answer was No!! WE ARE THE KREWE OF ISIS and for 42.years we have represented our name and organization with pride and dignity.

We are proud American women who support our military and are grateful for their service to our country. We have members, family and friends who have and still do serve our country with pride and commitment. To change our name would disrespectful of our troops and perceived as giving up and giving in and "that is not how WE roll". All Hail the Krewe ofIsis!!!.PLEASE SHARE!

Next Mardi Gras is going to be a funny time. I can't wait to see the looks when I say I'm going to go see Isis.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You probably won't get any because dumb enough to believe you're talking about the terrorist organization will have choked on their own lungs long before then.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Preview clip: http://southpark.cc.com/clips/ktabrz/what-about-ice-cream

Funny clip, but the ad is longer. :/

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

WillieWestwood posted:

Preview clip: http://southpark.cc.com/clips/ktabrz/what-about-ice-cream

Funny clip, but the ad is longer. :/

haha this is going to be great.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm American, and I thought this episode was easily the weakest of the entire season so far. The entire thing felt like super contrived lip service to football fans. I'm not a football fan, and don't care about the whole Redskins debacle. Hopefully, the rest of the season will hold up. I love the new intro though!

I agree with you the episode was the weakest of the season so far. It was also the best episode of the season so far... Cause it's the only episode of the season...

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Can gluten make your dick fly off?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152700285899030&set=vb.6096369029&type=2&theater

:D

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

As someone who works at a Whole Foods I am pretty loving excited for this episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

robot roll call posted:

As someone who works at a Whole Foods I am pretty loving excited for this episode.
As somebody who has a dairy allergy, I'm looking forward to a bunch of arguments about how the thing that makes all of my bones and joints hurt and gives me diarrhea is all in my head and isn't real.

I'm pretty worried about this one.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
As someone who lives in Portland I can't wait. Also they already said 'ice cream is healthy for you' in that ad as a joke. And lactose intolerance is a well documented thing with credible evidence.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 30, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

As somebody who has a dairy allergy, I'm looking forward to a bunch of arguments about how the thing that makes all of my bones and joints hurt and gives me diarrhea is all in my head and isn't real.

I'm pretty worried about this one.

I'm fairly certain they're not going to unironically poo poo on allergic people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm fairly certain they're not going to unironically poo poo on allergic people.
It's not about allergies in general so much as some people think that the concept of gluten allergies specifically are overblown and overdiagnosed and the gluten free diet is a fad.

• Locked thread