Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Allergies and intolerance are two completely different things. If someone was allergic to gluten like people are allergic to peanuts, they would die very often. That said, making fun of stupid people is always amusing, but not as much as heavy doses of Randy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JT Jag posted:

It's not about allergies in general so much as some people think that the concept of gluten allergies specifically are overblown and overdiagnosed and the gluten free diet is a fad.

Well I mean, gluten intolerances are real and fairly serious, but it's also a fad diet for most people. It can be two things.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jesus Christ, people. They're not going to be making GBS threads on legit conditions. They're going to make fun of the dumbass people who want to pretend to have those conditions because it's "trendy"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jesus Christ, people. They're not going to be making GBS threads on legit conditions.

Yeah, they would never ignorantly poo poo on people with real medical conditions.

e: v But that's a good point.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 30, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If you're worried several days in advance that South Park might make fun of you then you're way too sensitive and probably just shouldn't watch South Park at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jesus Christ, people. They're not going to be making GBS threads on legit conditions.

Ehhh I kinda hope they are. South Park is more fun when there's a ton of people really pissed with them rather than agreeing.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah, they would never ignorantly poo poo on people with real medical conditions.

it wouldn't even take you five minutes to find a real person on the internet who thinks they are a dragon in a human's body.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Miltank posted:

it wouldn't even take you five minutes to find a real person on the internet who thinks they are a dragon in a human's body.
That wasn't really the point. The point of that entire episode was an extended takedown of transgendered people, to the point of directly comparing them to people on the Internet who think they are a dragon dolphin in a human's body, or a black person in a white person's body, and so on. And also the surgery is really gross so they're gross.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, that episode is right there with ManBearPig with me for, "This is loving hilarious but holy crap are Matt and Trey complete morons."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

JT Jag posted:

That wasn't really the point. The point of that entire episode was an extended takedown of transgendered people, to the point of directly comparing them to people on the Internet who think they are a dragon dolphin in a human's body, or a black person in a white person's body, and so on. And also the surgery is really gross so they're gross.

So what's the problem?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super Ninja Fish posted:

So what's the problem?
Ugh.

Anyway, there's a decent chance that it will just be a takedown of pretending to have allergies or intolerances, so I'm gonna' give it a shot, but a LOT of people think allergies are all in your head. So, so many. My dad thinks so, and shellfish will literally kill my brother if he doesn't have his epi-pen on him or can't get to a hospital. So when I tell him I can't have dairy or my brother says he can't just pick the shellfish out of something, we always get the "you're just a picky eater" line.

A lot of line cooks are the same way, unfortunately, so it's tough to eat out.

So it's just a mild concern that Matt and Trey are that kind of person and nothing that really warranted this much discussion. Sorry I brought it up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Mmmm, this milkshake taste soooooooo good.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

You should probably stick to Modern Family.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Give that show with the Bazinga guy a shot

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ariza posted:

You should probably stick to Modern Family.
I've never watched Modern Family, and I like South Park. Not sure what you're getting at here.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I've never watched Modern Family, and I like South Park. Not sure what you're getting at here.

Just a gentle ribbing. Thought you might enjoy the milquetoast show for people who like NPR.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Speaking of NPR

Sensitive To Gluten? A Carb In Wheat May Be The Real Culprit

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah, that episode is right there with ManBearPig with me for, "This is loving hilarious but holy crap are Matt and Trey complete morons."

When I was doing Al Gore's quest in The Stick of Truth it dawned on my that I REALLY don't get the point of Manbearpig. Global Warming is fake? Guys who talk up threats we cant see are dumb? What?

Anyway, I haven't been watching the new season. I think I might have grown out of South Park. And if they really are doing another episode about transgendered people...Ughh.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

That's weird because when I was going through the whole ManBearPig thing in Stick of Truth it dawned on me that it's loving hilarious and who gives a poo poo? Have Matt and Trey ever made it seem like they think global warming is fake?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

And if they really are doing another episode about transgendered people...Ughh.

No they are doing an episode about gluten. If you haven't been offended off watching yet this is probably not the moment. :P

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Southpark had crossed the line this time! !!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ShoogaSlim posted:

That's weird because when I was going through the whole ManBearPig thing in Stick of Truth it dawned on me that it's loving hilarious and who gives a poo poo? Have Matt and Trey ever made it seem like they think global warming is fake?

The commentary for that episode made it more seem that they just thought his documentary was lovely and it was nothing but a powerpoint presentation (it also won for best song apparently). And they basically make that joke in the video game where one of his attacks is literally showing you a power point presentation on global warming. I don't think it's that they think global warming is fake I think they just don't like Al Gore and his documentary.

Also according to the commentary ManBearPig was a A Thing they had for several years but they didn't know what to do with. So it didn't come from the episode originally.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Ugh.

Anyway, there's a decent chance that it will just be a takedown of pretending to have allergies or intolerances, so I'm gonna' give it a shot, but a LOT of people think allergies are all in your head. So, so many. My dad thinks so, and shellfish will literally kill my brother if he doesn't have his epi-pen on him or can't get to a hospital. So when I tell him I can't have dairy or my brother says he can't just pick the shellfish out of something, we always get the "you're just a picky eater" line.

A lot of line cooks are the same way, unfortunately, so it's tough to eat out.

So it's just a mild concern that Matt and Trey are that kind of person and nothing that really warranted this much discussion. Sorry I brought it up.

Sorry your dad is a moron.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ariza posted:

Just a gentle ribbing. Thought you might enjoy the milquetoast show for people who like NPR.

South Park, Modern Family, and NPR are all good! :)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
that so many people are still so salty about the manbearpig episode proves its worth for me tbh

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

When I was doing Al Gore's quest in The Stick of Truth it dawned on my that I REALLY don't get the point of Manbearpig. Global Warming is fake? Guys who talk up threats we cant see are dumb? What?
"Stay away from us, rear end in a top hat! I was nice to you because I felt sorry for you, because you don't have any friends! But now I see WHY you don't have any friends! You just used ManBearPig as a way to get attention for yourself because you're a LOSER!"

Al Gore is an rear end in a top hat and a loser who talks about global warming solely for the attention. That is the thesis statement of the 2006 South Park episode "ManBearPig".

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Who is Al Gore?

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
I thought ManBearPig was clearly just meant as a take down of Al Gore. Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow has a way more "Global warming is overhyped" vibe to it, which is what I think is their position on the matter since they've done more than one episode where global warming is just a made up threat. As long as it's funny though and not too preachy I don't care.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I doubt they'll go after people who have allergies any more than they'd go after anyone with any disease. More than likely, they'll skewer the anti-gluten movement, one which is based on the dumbest pseudo-science farted out by "experts" since that British doctor "discovered" that immunizations cause autism. A major study suggesting that "gluten sensitivity" is psychosomatic came out back in May, and with people who should know better still giving this movement publicity every weekday, it was only a matter of time before South Park got to it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

No, but they made it clear that their show, South Park, believes global warming is fake in the episode "ManBearPig."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sorry your dad is a moron.
Dude loves him some Fox News.

He also has incurable cancer and like, three months to live, so I'll never be able to bring him around to decent opinions. :(

Again, though, I'm very sorry I brought my concerns up, as they're entirely unsubstantiated at the moment and I didn't realize they'd lead to pages of speculative outrage at theoretical outrage that hasn't yet occurred.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

No, but they made it clear that their show, South Park, believes global warming is fake in the episode "ManBearPig."

Dude loves him some Fox News.

He also has incurable cancer and like, three months to live, so I'll never be able to bring him around to decent opinions. :(

Holy hell are you awful

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Are you guys just in denial because you think you won't like the show anymore if you realize Matt and Trey are global warming denying retards? It's okay, I have recognized they are global warming denying retards for many years and still love every episode of this show. It's okay.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Are you guys just in denial because you think you won't like the show anymore if you realize Matt and Trey are global warming denying retards? It's okay, I have recognized they are global warming denying retards for many years and still love every episode of this show. It's okay.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about what they believe. They had one episode where they said that the dangers of second-hand smoke are completely made up by the lying anti-smoking activists who want to scare people into doing what the activists claim is the right thing. The only problem with that, though, is that there is a massive amount of well-documented, peer-reviewed science proving the claims.

That didn't make the show any less funny, though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

echronorian posted:

Holy hell are you awful
Listen to this dude.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I'm not really worried about what they believe. They had one episode where they said that the dangers of second-hand smoke are completely made up by the lying anti-smoking activists who want to scare people into doing what the activists claim is the right thing. The only problem with that, though, is that there is a massive amount of well-documented, peer-reviewed science proving the claims.

That didn't make the show any less funny, though.
And this one.

Calm down.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My regret about my father dying is I won't be able to prove that I'm right and he's wrong. Smdh

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This except I only love 80-90% of the episodes

South Park is a good show, the creators aren't infallible though.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

JT Jag posted:

This except I only love 80-90% of the episodes

South Park is a good show, the creators aren't infallible though.

It's honestly a better show because they bring their own opinions to the table even when they aren't on target. The amount of humor you can deliver when you are wedded to a world view ends up limited to that world view.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

echronorian posted:

My regret about my father dying is I won't be able to prove that I'm right and he's wrong. Smdh
Is that seriously what you got out of that? Are you a serial arguer? I'm trying to forgive my dying dad for having terrible Fox News opinions about poo poo, and this is coming up in a South Park thread because that's basically how I watch South Park.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's honestly a better show because they bring their own opinions to the table even when they aren't on target. The amount of humor you can deliver when you are wedded to a world view ends up limited to that world view.
True, South Park is a very unique show. I kind of liken it to an animated editorial strip: the way South Park is created they can put an entire episode together from the writing room to our TVs in just a week, and that gives them the ability to make much more relevant topical humor than any other animation. If they didn't put their opinions into it they'd honestly be wasting the opportunity the format provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

My dad has stupid Fox News opinions about poo poo so I just direct him to episodes like The F Word because he thinks it's outrageous that you can't call someone a human being.

You're literally killing your dad, man.

• Locked thread