Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Can someone tell me where the library in Al Maajik is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

bubblelubble posted:

Can someone tell me where the library in Al Maajik is?

Not sure what Al Maajik is--I'm guessing it's the third town? (Darthmolth in the Japanese version) If so it's the giant building smack in the middle of the Demonlord district (or whatever they're calling it, the furthest in district of the town) If you're looking for the hidden Forbidden Tome that allows you to reset your stat allocation, that's only open at night, and you have to teleport from the magic circle at the back of the shop. I think there's a level restriction and plot restriction to get in there too--you can't get in there until towards the end of the game--maybe even after finishing the main story.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Irisi posted:

Jesus god, this thing is the most addictive parts of The Sims, Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest 9 all wrapped up in an adorable pink bow.

The thing about names being only 8 letters long is a bit craptastic though. My tiny warrior/blacksmith called Hiccup needs a pet called Toothless!

Also, I've taken on so many quests at once that when I complete them I'm having serious trouble remembering who gave them to me, given that the map only shows the general area the requestor is in, and pretty much everybody in that area has a quest flag on them.

Other than that, it's a lovely game to play in short burst while travelling, or on lunch breaks.

Wait, you get eight letters for your name? I had read it was only six. Eight would be so much better. Or is the eight just for pets?

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013
Edit: Ahahaha, I got so used to the thing saying "explore freely" between quests that when the sun to moon bar expanded I thought it was a bug, making this a useless post. But anyway, a different post-game spoiler:

Why can't I make the butterfly get her own drat place?

Fast Track fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 4, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man this game is stupid long. Finally unlocked DLC island and DLC stat cap rises around the 70 hours in mark.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Now you say "finally", but the game has only been out for a week and you already put 70 hours in. :stare:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

In the middle of moving. For the last week, and for a few days, we have nothing on us outside this laptop, our carry on luggage and some flimsy mattresses.

Besides doing some last minute rental cleaning and sleeping, I've had poo poo all to do for the past week.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my god, the musical scene you get when you become Master of a Life class is ridiculously precious and a little bit cringeworthy at the same time. :3: The song for Paladin is delightfully awful.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I have only gotten a few (Carpenter, Paladin, Mercenary and Hunter) but I so far like the Mercenary one the best.
It switches between a very sad, lamenting part and a very upbeat part with crazy lyrics, basically 'oh woe is me' and 'just kidding!'.

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.
I started playing this on the weekend and as someone who loves the mindless grind of simulation games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, Fantasy Life is basically crack to me.

I found the artwork in the cutscenes to be highly reminiscent of the Professor Layton series which I had not expected (but makes total sense since that was also developed by Level 5).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I have this game now, and it is a very cute little kids' game that I will spend way too much time on. the multiplayer thing sounds like it'd not be much problem so long as u play with friends and are reasonable about it

oh yeah, I wanted to know if u can buy and wear cute clothes like acnl or something, this will be the deciding factor on me going with a boy or girl

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

You can buy and wear cute clothes, and also make your own through the tailor Life. I don't think there's as many customisation options as ACNL but there is a decent variety of clothing available.

Not as much furniture variation though.

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013
You can. Armour is gender neutral but quite a few other clothes (and, for some reason, a snorkelling mask) can only be worn by one gender. A boy, for example, cannot dress up like a pretty princess like you could do in Animal Crossing, and a girl character won't be allowed to rock a tuxedo.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Finally got to god rank with my first class, which is paladin.
Now I have a quest to fight the ancient napdragon but at level 71 it is basically killing me and my allies in one hit, so that's not going to happen.
Does anyone have some advice on what I should do to improve my chances?
I figure I'll grind my way to level 90-100 and try again (I already got the 2xXP shoes using lunares coins) but maybe there's something else?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

Finally got to god rank with my first class, which is paladin.
Now I have a quest to fight the ancient napdragon but at level 71 it is basically killing me and my allies in one hit, so that's not going to happen.
Does anyone have some advice on what I should do to improve my chances?
I figure I'll grind my way to level 90-100 and try again (I already got the 2xXP shoes using lunares coins) but maybe there's something else?

At level 71 you're nowhere near ready to fight any of the post-God Life quest bosses, especially the combat class bosses. They're bar none the hardest fights in the game, even harder than the stuff in the final bonus dungeon, which you can't even enter until you're level 100. I'd say level 100 is an absolute bare minimum to start fighting those things, and you'll probably need to be significantly higher than that before it stops becoming tedious.

Realistically to have the easiest go of it you'll want to God-rank everything. Once you do that all equipment restrictions are lifted, so you can kit yourself out in whatever you want regardless of your current Life, which makes those fights a lot easier. At the very least you'll probably want to God-rank Smith and/or Carpenter before trying, so that you can make the top-tier equipment that you'll need to survive. A bunch of levels in Alchemist will also help so you can make lots of potions.

Honestly if you're at level 71, I'd suggest going back and Godding a few more Lives, maybe tackle the first few bonus dungeons while you're at it for the rare items. Once the bonus dungeons are no big deal you can start looking at the God bosses.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Thanks for this thread; Genpei Turtle's posts about this game elsewhere first put this game on my map despite seeing second-hand copies all over for awhile now. I've gotten a few levels in a few lives without having started much of the main story besides the very first part, and I'm afraid I'm going to do a lot of that before I move on because I'm worried about not being well-rounded. I'm really surprised at how fun this is.

I bought the 'old' version at Bookoff and only heard about the Link expansion before I was ready to play it; luckily the upgrade was available as a DLC expansion kit.

Extremely charming, not that hard, nothing too obtuse, easy-to-understand quests/resources, it's great.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Fast Track posted:

You can. Armour is gender neutral but quite a few other clothes (and, for some reason, a snorkelling mask) can only be worn by one gender. A boy, for example, cannot dress up like a pretty princess like you could do in Animal Crossing, and a girl character won't be allowed to rock a tuxedo.

wtf... I just... I can't even...

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Now that I'm pretty much in the endgame, I want to ask what kind of equipment you're using.
Which is better, the lunares coin stuff or the things you forge yourself?

Also, what companions do you take along?
My party currently consists of Ophelia as melee tank and Jinx as ranged attacker; before unlocking Jinx I used Yuella as ranged and occasional healer.

Finally, what combat style do you prefer?
I think I like sword and shield the most since it is a good mix between defense and offense.
I initially wanted to use magic but the need to level up so many different skills and sp dependence mean it's just not very good.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

Now that I'm pretty much in the endgame, I want to ask what kind of equipment you're using.
Which is better, the lunares coin stuff or the things you forge yourself?

Also, what companions do you take along?
My party currently consists of Ophelia as melee tank and Jinx as ranged attacker; before unlocking Jinx I used Yuella as ranged and occasional healer.

Finally, what combat style do you prefer?
I think I like sword and shield the most since it is a good mix between defense and offense.
I initially wanted to use magic but the need to level up so many different skills and sp dependence mean it's just not very good.

The top-class forged stuff made by a God-level smith/tailor is better than the top-class coin stuff, and is more customizable since you can add God Items into the mix. However if you can't make the God-level equipment the best coin stuff is better. I'd save the coins for better stuff than the equipment personally but YMMV. Coins were really rare in the Japanese version so I dunno how it works.

As for companions, whoever Ophelia and Jinx are, they're named differently than the Japanese version (so is Yuella, though I can guess who she probably is) so I dunno how they stack up. Once you hit God in a Life that Life's master can join you, and all of them are fantastically good. I'm partial to the Magician, because having a nigh-immortal two-tailed cat nuking the hell out of your enemies never gets old.

Outside of the Life Masters, the best companion IMO is Stella, who you unlock by beating the final bonus dungeon. Barring that Eric (the king) and Lucer (the demon lord) are pretty good too. Dragonslayer (the lone dude with a giant sword who hangs out by the grave near the second town) is a decent melee guy. Yuella and Nora (her sister) are both good as well.

Combat style I prefer bows, since the post-game bosses are so stupidly deadly up close. Magic is amazing once you beef up all your skills, but it requires a lot of grinding to get to that point. Daggers are surprisingly good at high levels too, plus you can use a shield with them.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ophelia is the queen and Jinx is the cat you mentioned.
Who is Stella?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

Ophelia is the queen and Jinx is the cat you mentioned.
Who is Stella?

Makes sense with Ophelia, (Felia is her Japanese name) and then Jinx must be Crone. (which is kind of appropriate when you learn exactly what she is)

Stella is the goddess that the Origin Island story revolves around. She's a super-magic user; she uses light/dark magic, can cure status ailments and has the best heal of all the companions. Her and Crone/Jinx are my go-to team for most of the post-game.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

scissorman posted:

I have only gotten a few (Carpenter, Paladin, Mercenary and Hunter) but I so far like the Mercenary one the best.
It switches between a very sad, lamenting part and a very upbeat part with crazy lyrics, basically 'oh woe is me' and 'just kidding!'.

I've got Master Status in 8 lives now, and the best song by several million miles is Woodcutter. So catchy,with it's little "bom-bom-pom" beat!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Irisi posted:

I've got Master Status in 8 lives now, and the best song by several million miles is Woodcutter. So catchy,with it's little "bom-bom-pom" beat!

I wonder if they rewrote those songs from scratch--I don't remember Woodcutter having much of a beat. Doing the master songs was probably one of the toughest parts of the game to localize.

I'm partial to the Tailor song, but that's mostly because the singer has a really nice voice, so that's not going to be the same.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Genpei Turtle posted:

I wonder if they rewrote those songs from scratch--I don't remember Woodcutter having much of a beat. Doing the master songs was probably one of the toughest parts of the game to localize.

I'm partial to the Tailor song, but that's mostly because the singer has a really nice voice, so that's not going to be the same.

I don't think they have since the songs are still in Japanese, just with subtitles.

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
I've finished the main story and done the two 500 bliss quests, is there anything I need to do next or is it just open ended now?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is there a lot of grinding for things in this game ? Thinking of getting this but I'm still undecided.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Is there a lot of grinding for things in this game ? Thinking of getting this but I'm still undecided.

Grinding is basically the whole game. But it's a "good" grind, for lack of a better term. Instead of having to do the same thing over and over again to advance, you're having to do lots and lots of short, simple quests instead. Outside of a small handful of bad quests that require you to do the same thing over and over, you're always doing something different so you're less liable to get bored.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

Grinding is basically the whole game.

i am rapidly discovering this. dunno why people are comparing this to animal crossing when it's basically 'grind every class, forever'. i like it tho.

do the npcs level up too? do you have to level them up to get them good?

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Corridor posted:

do the npcs level up too? do you have to level them up to get them good?

They do level up as you do, yeah, but I think if you have had someone in your party for ages to make them level up you have to kick them out of your party.

The DLC adds some friendship stuff to the Allies but I don't have it so I don't know.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lol, you mean the dlc adds mechanics to the overall game? or just the dlc parts?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

This is a Numbers Go Up game. What is your opinion on games about making numbers go up?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Corridor posted:

lol, you mean the dlc adds mechanics to the overall game? or just the dlc parts?

The whole thing. The DLC is more than just DLC--it's more of an expansion. In Japan there were two versions of Fantasy Life--a "base" version and then an "enhanced" version that came out a year later. For the EU/NA version, rather than give you the enhanced version, you get the base version and can pay via DLC to get the enhanced version. So the DLC changes a whole lot of stuff throughout the entire game.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Bongo Bill posted:

This is a Numbers Go Up game. What is your opinion on games about making numbers go up?

They are ok. Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll wait for a price drop before I buy this :)

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I've been trying to find out what buying Origin Isle does to the game before finishing the story and can't find any info on it. What are the changes? Besides haircuts and pets, that is.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

are the insects used for recipes or anything at all? i have a whole bunch of them but as far as i can tell they're useless except to sell or hand over for occasional quests

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ledenko posted:

I've been trying to find out what buying Origin Isle does to the game before finishing the story and can't find any info on it. What are the changes? Besides haircuts and pets, that is.

you can respec your character (i dunno if you could do this before) and allies/pets gain friendship levels. some other stuff probably but that's all i've noticed so far on my noob.

oh yeah does anyone know of any passwords besides 'Reveria'? someone on another forum said they might not have been actually put into the game yet.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I know that this isn't the sort of game you play for the plot, but how is the game's writing? Like, is the flavor text and quest dialogue especially interesting or witty? I like watching numbers go up as much as the next guy, but I don't think I'd enjoy this game much if that's all there is to it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

dmboogie posted:

I know that this isn't the sort of game you play for the plot, but how is the game's writing? Like, is the flavor text and quest dialogue especially interesting or witty? I like watching numbers go up as much as the next guy, but I don't think I'd enjoy this game much if that's all there is to it.

It's at around dragon quest level I'd say, maybe toned down a touch for little kids

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Corridor posted:

you can respec your character (i dunno if you could do this before)

I have beaten the story and still haven't found this NPC. Where is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

I have beaten the story and still haven't found this NPC. Where is it?

It's the Forbidden Tome in the back of the magic library in the third town. During the daytime he sells random crap IIRC, but at night he'll respec your stats for 30K a pop.

• Locked thread