Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's the Forbidden Tome in the back of the magic library in the third town. During the daytime he sells random crap IIRC, but at night he'll respec your stats for 30K a pop.

Oh right, I saw him during the day and he told me about his night deal but I forgot to go back. I had a hunch.

In other news, I mastered my first Life (Blacksmith) and am going to do a few more before grinding out level 50 and unlocking the DLC content. Goddamn the skinner box is working well in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Corridor posted:

It's at around dragon quest level I'd say, maybe toned down a touch for little kids

Dragon Quest level was pretty much what I was hoping for! Thanks for the screenshots.

Can't wait for this game to come out in the states. Next Friday, oh man. :ohdear:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

question about expert skills - is there a list for these anywhere? for a while, npcs were telling me about various skills i acquired, what they were and what they did, but now it just says U GOT DIS SKILL when i rank up, and there's no explanation of what it does. there's no place ingame to check afaik, and the english wiki for this game is very sparse atm. i figured out that the expert paladin skill lets you shoot out murder bolts when you build up the gauge and press X, and after some googling i learned that the expert blacksmith lets me add stat bonus items to the equips i forge. the others i have no idea, is there a list anywhere?

dmboogie posted:

Dragon Quest level was pretty much what I was hoping for! Thanks for the screenshots.

Can't wait for this game to come out in the states. Next Friday, oh man. :ohdear:

bear in mind that as i said, it is a bit more silly and less 'scary' for a younger audience, and there's a lot of handholding. i'm ok with it but dq vets might find it p annoying.

with that said, i hate flutter, and want her dead at my feet, or at the very least mute for the rest of the game, her role in the story be hosed

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
If you talk to the profession master, they will give you a rundown of what each skill is. They are all pretty simple though. Crafting ones will automatically complete 3/5 steps with a GREAT depending on what level you are. You can also add materials to them to give them elemental properties or higher damage to enemies or trees/fish/ore. The gathering and combat classes get a skill that you can charge up to do extra damage and then do a big hit when the bar is filled up.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
You can flick to weapon tutorials in your mail box too.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Anyone got any suggestions for making the grind to Legend ranks less tedious for Cook/Tailor? Crafting the items is fine enough but getting all the skills up to 15 seems like it could take a while when mine are all sitting at 10.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Either get the Lunares coin item that boosts skill exp for them or find a cheap recipe and crank it out with Auto + forever.

I grinded some Royal Carpets for Dosh to get the DLC holiday home and got about 3-4 levels in overall sewing and furniture sewing.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Becklespinax posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for making the grind to Legend ranks less tedious for Cook/Tailor? Crafting the items is fine enough but getting all the skills up to 15 seems like it could take a while when mine are all sitting at 10.

Those are the worst two Lifes in the game to get to Legend for exactly that reason. Pick a difficult recipe with easily-attainable materials, and auto like mad. You get less skill experience for Autoing than doing it manually, but the difference in speed makes up for it, especially when you get to Auto+.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Have just seen the requirements for the God rank Blacksmith challenges and I think i'm done for a while again.

This game is a weird mix of fun grinding busy work and some of the most tedious busy work i've experienced in a long time.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I really wish you could just accept every quest instead of having an arbitrary limit of 30.

I just got Master rank in Paladin and all my other jobs are all at either the level or two below that. I do a lot of exploring before continuing the plot...

The upside of this is that with all my Happiness I mostly expanded storage limits and store contents before I needed to, so since I got to the desert town and I don't even have to be there yet, I can stock up on new items.

My go-to money maker recipe right now is the pirate bench, easy materials and they're all for sale right in the port town. are there any others you guys have found?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I used the ones recommended here: http://wikiwiki.jp/fantasylife/?%B9%B6%CE%AC%BE%F0%CA%F3
Warning, the site is in Japanese, so you have to rely on Google Translate.
If you're not sure where to find the materials, this Google Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aj0RtE0MMwctxt7xicKtFnr3FFlNHJ3Rvm6lsBNK2AA/edit#gid=359053928 isn't bad.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Japanese is no problem, thanks for the link.
I was actually looking at that very wiki for something yesterday but I hadn't seen that page yet, thanks! Looks like royal rugs or designer needles (or bombs when I get to the sand town proper) are the way to go.

I'm dreading grinding out these crafting jobs, blah.

Oh and having gone up against the sleeping dragon, I'll definitely take the advice Genpei Turtle has regarding bows, as bosses get big close attacks when you whittle them down enough.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Have just seen the requirements for the God rank Blacksmith challenges and I think i'm done for a while again.

This game is a weird mix of fun grinding busy work and some of the most tedious busy work i've experienced in a long time.

God rank blacksmith isn't actually that bad when you realize there's a catch to the requirements. You know those quests that say "Create 4 Rune Series equipment" and the like? You don't actually have to make the full set. 5 Rune Helms will fulfill the requirement just as much as the full series of armor.

But all of the God crafting quests are going to require you to find ingredients that aren't easily accessible, which makes them tough.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Elec posted:

Oh and having gone up against the sleeping dragon, I'll definitely take the advice Genpei Turtle has regarding bows, as bosses get big close attacks when you whittle them down enough.

Went up against a dragon with a hopelessly underpowered sword, and somehow managed to get him perfectly stuck in a corner of the screen, with me right under his neck, so that neither his tail whip move nor his fire could hit me, and basically just papercut him to death, a few points at a time.

Took a while, but I did it!

I beat the Napdragon too, but I felt awfully bad about that. The Napdragon is adorable :3:

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Do I get any immediate benefit from buying the big Origin Island DLC day one when it releases in NA next week? It seems from what I've heard it's late game stuff, but I have a feeling I'm in for the long run on this game anyway.

If this is basically what I'm hoping for (DQ9 meets Rune Factory 4) then I'm in huge trouble.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Irisi posted:

I beat the Napdragon too, but I felt awfully bad about that. The Napdragon is adorable :3:

lol at the 'fight the napdragon' quest. i literally just did the story chapter to save its dopey rear end, at all costs, from getting beat by a bunch of paladins. then i finish up and suddenly i get the quest to defeat the napdragon as a paladin. make up your mind, game!

also lol if i can have laura in my party while doing so.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

also is there any point to leveling the lower tier party members? i mean at that point i can just solo everything anyway

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Fancy Hat! posted:

Do I get any immediate benefit from buying the big Origin Island DLC day one when it releases in NA next week? It seems from what I've heard it's late game stuff, but I have a feeling I'm in for the long run on this game anyway.

If this is basically what I'm hoping for (DQ9 meets Rune Factory 4) then I'm in huge trouble.

You'll have access to added character customization options and a change to how friendly NPCs react in your party via the friendship system, which allows them to level up. If I'm not mistaken you'll also be able to have a pet bird early on, instead of just a cat or dog. The remainder of the DLC is end-game content.

Be aware that you can only connect to multiplayer with players who have the same version of the game as you. If you have the DLC, you can't multiplay with people who don't have it, and vice versa. Multiplayer is more of an add-on where you can fool around with friends and beat up monsters more than anything else, though, because you can't complete quests in multiplayer mode.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Fancy Hat! posted:

You get some stuff such as new hair styles right away, although you can change your hair style later in the game. I bought it when I was about five hours into the game and didn't notice any obvious changes, and I have yet to unlock the "actual" DLC content because I haven't reached the minimum level yet.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I'm currently completing my God ranks and I'm really burning out on the crafting :sigh:.
Having to do the same minigame over and over again is getting really annoying.

I've done pretty much everything else, so it's not like I can go do another task; I even did two of the God quests (with copious amounts of potions).
Are there any tips on how to make this less tedious?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

I'm currently completing my God ranks and I'm really burning out on the crafting :sigh:.
Having to do the same minigame over and over again is getting really annoying.

I've done pretty much everything else, so it's not like I can go do another task; I even did two of the God quests (with copious amounts of potions).
Are there any tips on how to make this less tedious?

With the exception of the handful of quests that require you to be "get level 15 in X crafting skill" which admittedly is awful, generally you shouldn't need to grind too much when Godding the crafting skills. Ususally you only have to craft a handful of items to advance, and it's finding the materials that's the hard part. I mostly used the wiki for that though since wandering around Origin Isle in frustration searching vainly for the rare items I was looking for got old quickly.

One of the things about the endgame is that respeccing your character all the time will be burning a hole in your pocket so just by crafting stuff to sell in the course of normal gameplay, you can get your skills up pretty high. Buying the rare crystals and the like in the moon shop will cost a lot of cash too.

What I did is go on lots of bonus dungeon runs to collect ingredients and do a chunk of crafting in between runs to sell the stuff I made to get money to fund additional runs. I would usually change jobs in between runs--Mercenary one time, Hunter the next, and so forth so a respec was in order too. Do that enough and you'll not only have decent skills, but also a huge pile of rare materials you can use to blast through the final crafting quests with no problem.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Corridor posted:

lol at the 'fight the napdragon' quest. i literally just did the story chapter to save its dopey rear end, at all costs, from getting beat by a bunch of paladins. then i finish up and suddenly i get the quest to defeat the napdragon as a paladin. make up your mind, game!

also lol if i can have laura in my party while doing so.

lmao not only will princess laura happily murder her childhood friend the napdragon, but if you go near it with swords drawn she will initiate combat with it, and also help to murder its hapless fleeing children

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, ok, I think I'm done.
I've put 135 hours into the game and done everything except get the two last god ranks (alchemist up to god-in-training, carpenter only up to master).
Overall I really enjoyed my time with it and I definitely recommend it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

Yeah, ok, I think I'm done.
I've put 135 hours into the game and done everything except get the two last god ranks (alchemist up to god-in-training, carpenter only up to master).
Overall I really enjoyed my time with it and I definitely recommend it.

What would you say were your favourite and least favourite parts of the game? Spoiler-free, of course.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Leofish posted:

What would you say were your favourite and least favourite parts of the game? Spoiler-free, of course.

My favorite is definitely the quest system, which always gives you something to do; it also ensures that you experience the sheer amount of content included in the game instead of just running through it to complete the story.

My least favorite thing is a tossup between the end-game bosses - even with proper equipment it's just a tedious routine of dodging/enduring bullshit attacks and whittling them down - and the lack of variety in the crafting minigame.
After a while it just gets old, especially because they don't change it up, just make it longer.
If you're planning to go all the way to God rank in every job, I'd recommend following Genpei Turtle's advice and do the crafting in short intervals between other activities.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

scissorman posted:

My favorite is definitely the quest system, which always gives you something to do; it also ensures that you experience the sheer amount of content included in the game instead of just running through it to complete the story.

My least favorite thing is a tossup between the end-game bosses - even with proper equipment it's just a tedious routine of dodging/enduring bullshit attacks and whittling them down - and the lack of variety in the crafting minigame.
After a while it just gets old, especially because they don't change it up, just make it longer.
If you're planning to go all the way to God rank in every job, I'd recommend following Genpei Turtle's advice and do the crafting in short intervals between other activities.

I can't remember the last time I got 100% on a game before getting bored or moving on to something else, but I guess I'll have to see with this one.

It might have been cool if the crafting mini games were different for each life and used the touch screen more, like swirling the stylus around like you're stirring a pot for the cooking minigame, or tapping a touch screen anvil as a blacksmith. Though I suppose if you have to do it 1000 times it'll get dry eventually anyway.

Still, I'm excited to see where I end up.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Leofish posted:

It might have been cool if the crafting mini games were different for each life and used the touch screen more, like swirling the stylus around like you're stirring a pot for the cooking minigame, or tapping a touch screen anvil as a blacksmith.

that sounds horrible

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Corridor posted:

that sounds horrible

Shut your mouth, Weapon Shop de Omasse and Cooking Mama are fun!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

King Crab posted:

If you talk to the profession master, they will give you a rundown of what each skill is. They are all pretty simple though. Crafting ones will automatically complete 3/5 steps with a GREAT depending on what level you are. You can also add materials to them to give them elemental properties or higher damage to enemies or trees/fish/ore. The gathering and combat classes get a skill that you can charge up to do extra damage and then do a big hit when the bar is filled up.

okay, so it seems i have a skill that's not listed in the stuff the master told me about. as a hunter i can do this thing where i shoot four times, then do an air floaty spin and arrow the gently caress out of anything in front of me, and it owns.

except every now and then i'll try to pull off the floaty spin shoot, and accidentally do... some other thing... where i shoot out a single flaming-looking arrow. it's happened across several weapons now, but i can't replicate it deliberately. what the gently caress even is it?

this is NOT the skill that unleashes when your gauge is full, and it's not a supercharged thing. it happens just when i mash A sometimes.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Corridor posted:

okay, so it seems i have a skill that's not listed in the stuff the master told me about. as a hunter i can do this thing where i shoot four times, then do an air floaty spin and arrow the gently caress out of anything in front of me, and it owns.

except every now and then i'll try to pull off the floaty spin shoot, and accidentally do... some other thing... where i shoot out a single flaming-looking arrow. it's happened across several weapons now, but i can't replicate it deliberately. what the gently caress even is it?

this is NOT the skill that unleashes when your gauge is full, and it's not a supercharged thing. it happens just when i mash A sometimes.

There's a bunch of funny moves that happen if you hit A/X in the right pattern, especially with a bow. If you go to Licenses in your Menu screen, choose Hunter and page through it tells you all the different button combinations you can use with a bow. You could see if you can replicate it with one of them?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Irisi posted:

There's a bunch of funny moves that happen if you hit A/X in the right pattern, especially with a bow. If you go to Licenses in your Menu screen, choose Hunter and page through it tells you all the different button combinations you can use with a bow. You could see if you can replicate it with one of them?

That's exactly what it is. For all the combat classes, just mashing attack will work but it's not ideal. Every weapon has quite a few different combos that go off when you tap attack with just the right timing. The aforementioned jump-spin attack (is it the one where you fire a quick volley of arrows or one huge arrow? Both are special Hunter combos) is just one such combo finisher. If you get the timing right you can pull off that combo every time you shoot.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Irisi posted:

what the fuuuuuuu

this list has been here the WHOLE TIME? why didn't the game tell me this poo poo!!

yeah i've been doing the jump spin regularly, but would accidentally do a hero shot without realising why. mother of gently caress!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

According to the official US site, they changed "Magician" to "Wizard" for no reason when porting from EU to US.

Huh.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Grilox posted:

According to the official US site, they changed "Magician" to "Wizard" for no reason when porting from EU to US.

Huh.

So that's why it took an extra month! :doh:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Leofish posted:

So that's why it took an extra month! :doh:

If localization is as much of a bitch as people claim it to be that one change probably caused some poor employee an endless amount of problems.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

nutranurse posted:

If localization is as much of a bitch as people claim it to be that one change probably caused some poor employee an endless amount of problems.

No doubt. There's something like 21,000 pages of text in this game, I think I read. With code being what it is I imagine it's probably not as simple as find+replace all in MS Word.

It looks like the butterfly is named Butterfly in the NA version as well, instead of Flutter like in the EU.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Grilox posted:

Huh.

one could be kinda associated with harry potter, the other less so

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Corridor posted:

what the fuuuuuuu

this list has been here the WHOLE TIME? why didn't the game tell me this poo poo!!

yeah i've been doing the jump spin regularly, but would accidentally do a hero shot without realising why. mother of gently caress!

It did, though, back when you learned it. Either that, or your master will explain it to you. Talk to everyone, Fantasy Life is still an RPG.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I think he means the combo lists in the license section, though the mail probably explains that it is a thing at some point, since the mail is the tutorial book of the game.

The late game NPC party members are ridiculously OP. I couldn't beat any of the Hero or Legend quest monsters, but partnering up with the king and queen let me God rank all of the fighting life classes i've tried so far.

Also someone datamined the game and got all 40 something of the passwords. Including the EU regional versions and the US versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
1) How does the story play out if you choose a non-combat Life, e.g. chef or fishing? Is it still the same the world is in great peril, go to distant lands getting support, kill bitches on the way? Cos that doesn't quite make sense to me.

2) Are dragons as pets rly all that amazing? AKA does the DLC offer much more?

edit: I mean I know you can swap Lives, but I figure they should all have equal playability, right?

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread