Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win season 25?
This poll is closed.
#SoulSurfers 8 15.09%
#TeamNashville 1 1.89%
#TheWrestlers 9 16.98%
#TheDatingCouple 1 1.89%
#TheCyclists 2 3.77%
#MiamiRealtors 1 1.89%
#MomDaughter 3 5.66%
#TheFirefighters 6 11.32%
#SweetScientists 9 16.98%
#CollegeSweethearts 5 9.43%
#TheDentists 8 15.09%
Total: 53 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Wow, to think that the only thing keeping them from completing that challenge, twice, was the flowerpot facing the wrong way.

Edit: Man, I want to go to Copenhagen again.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I don't like the way teams are just edited to spontaneously appear at the pit stop. How did Amy & Maya leave 2nd and show up 4th?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Man, the hubris is delicious.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
#MatMeltdown!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Oh come on. They gave it to you before you said it was non-elim, just take it.

There were some great quotes this episode but man it's been a frustrating one.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
That's some bullshit. It should be like using an immunity idol on Survivor, you don't get that poo poo back.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Liked that the car kinda forced them to go slow. Didn't turn into a factor though.

Nice to see the dentists get humbled.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's some bullshit. It should be like using an immunity idol on Survivor, you don't get that poo poo back.

Yes.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah I like this idea better than what they did.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Robbie getting through the sandwich challenge by cutting a promo on his order was hilarious, at least there's that.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

SteveVizsla posted:

I love that they're featuring so many dogs this season but Great Danes are from Germany.

What other dogs have been shown? I don't remember seeing any.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Good to see the Cyclists blow everyone out of the water. They probably still would have come first if they hadn't had that 3 hour lead.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
The Save is a garbage game mechanic. I have no idea why they decided to remove the Fast-Forward. Budget/time cut to avoid constructing an additional challenge? They either didn't think this through, or realized how broken it was and bet on the beloved Team Jesus getting it to give them an advantage, with the disability and all (though to be honest, that pair growing on me a bit, so despite my snark I'd rather they had it than Team Teeth.)

Conspiracy theory aside, the dentists are the most boring team left, and it's going to get more and more irritating knowing that they've got at least another two episodes at the end of each week til they lose it.

Cyclists are really great and I hope they win.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 18, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Huge Liability posted:

The Save is a garbage game mechanic. I have no idea why they decided to remove the Fast-Forward. Budget/time cut to avoid constructing an additional challenge? They either didn't think this through, or realized how broken it was and bet on the beloved Team Jesus getting it to give them an advantage, with the disability and all (though to be honest, that pair growing on me a bit, so despite my snark I'd rather they had it than Team Teeth.)

Conspiracy theory aside, the dentists are the most boring team left, and it's going to get more and more irritating knowing that they've got at least another two episodes at the end of each week til they lose it.

Cyclists are really great and I hope they win.

What's surprising is they used precisely this same mechanic on the previous season of Survivor; they introduced a "special immunity idol" and never actually told everyone what it did, only the person who found it got that info on a note along with it. It basically said, "This is an immunity idol you can play AFTER the votes have been cast." In essence, it's a green 1UP mushroom. It added NOTHING interesting to the game, and it doesn't impact strategy at all when it isn't revealed. There is absolutely zero reason to tell anyone, even an ally, that you have it, because it cannot be given to anyone else or played on their behalf. Revealing it just tells everyone "ok we need to force a tie to make him play it (since you can't during tie-breaker votes) but still control who goes home, then we need to vote him out again when he clearly knows we're targeting him". It's the ONLY way to defeat it if it's a known factor, and it makes for boring action when the strategy is written for you.

It didn't go over well with viewers and they stopped using it. The producers admitted it was a horrible mistake before the season even ended.

That's exactly what this Save has become: it's just an extra life. It adds NOTHING interesting to the game if it's only used if you're absolutely going home on that leg. All they had to do to make this viable was make the team play it as they arrive at the mat and gamble if they're actually the last ones to arrive (or it's actually an elimination leg) or not. Same effect, but that mechanic would add a bit of drama and strategy to the idea and allow it to be potentially wasted.

I also feel like the producers use non-elimination legs at their discretion to save teams they want to keep around. I haven't watched the show for a while, but I felt like a few times a fan favorite team had some lovely luck that dropped them to last place and SURPRISE it wasn't an elimination leg. I vaguely remember two hippies having to surrender their pants because they had already surrendered their packs as a penalty on their first non-elimination last-place finish. I loved that team, but I was suspicious that the two times they came in last just HAPPENED to be non-elimination legs.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
Watching the cyclists race is so much fun. I love them getting some cookies from the bakery and then trying to get a sandwich after the waitress challenge. Also, it was really smart of them to grad the icing bag and keep their cake in two pieces before arriving and then re-icing the cake before delivering it.

The most aggravating part of this episode was no one knowing the countries or capitals on the map. Thank god for T&T at the end who just answered right away.

And I hate to admit it, but the wrestlers are growing on me.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

The save is broken, OP and lovely, I'll admit that. But at the same time I get why they didn't have to give it up during this non-elimination round. Go ahead and post your theories that these are post-determined, but the show is presenting us with the fact that this is not the case (that they are pre-determined) and I choose to believe it. No matter who came in last tonight would stay in the game.

Barring this perspective, it would be wrong for the dentists to have to give up their save when another team without the save wouldn't suffer the same loss of advantage just from not having said advantage in the first place. This would amount to a team NOT having the Save resulting in their own disadvantage working out in their advantage.......VANTAGE!!!

On top of that I'm assuming the dentists have to perform a task next leg that the other teams don't have to perform... what do they call it? A Speedbump? It would be extra lovely if they lost their save and STILL had to do a Speed Bump, so it makes sense that they get to keep the save.

All of that being said, I reiterate my first point that the save is broken, OP and lovely. It's a 1up shroom, a game genie code, practically a cheating device that the show runners willingly put into the game and I don't really get why. The speed pass is a nice caveot, skip a challenge if you think you'll suck at it. The Save's no consequences free shot at trying again just because you won leg 1 is super rigged and cheap and I disagree with its implementation. I think it reduces entertainment value, gives one team too much of a boost, and furthermore might even result in the final results of the game being something I don't agree with simply due to the show maker's decisions, and nothing to do with the competitor's performances.

Hope you all enjoyed my post. Thank you.

edited for grammar and punctuation.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 18, 2014

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Andorra posted:

What other dogs have been shown? I don't remember seeing any.

Scottish Deerhound last week, with the guy standing in the dark in the castle. I know there was one before that too, I remember being excited about it, but I'm blanking on what it was.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Maybe the final leg will feature a "match the doggie to the right location" task. Here's hoping!

I was disappointed when last year's finale didn't feature a memory challenge like that. On the surface, they aren't as exciting as running around or jumping out of an airplane, but I think they're a good equalizer (no physicality or luck involved, no excuse not to do well) and they can be pretty tense if they're edited well.

The second Canadian finale had all three teams on the memory task at the same time, and all stuck on the exact same thing. It was great.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah I didn't understand what the Save was before the end of the episode. I thought it was basically an Express Pass and thought the Dentists were going to be the second team eliminated while holding one. At least there's a choice involved with an Express Pass. To just be able to hold it and use if you come in last, and not even be forced to make a guess whether to burn it for a non elimination leg is stupid as hell.

Cyclists and Food Scientists are easily my favorite rooting interests at this point, they're just cool. The Cyclists won me over going pub hunting the episode before last, plus they are just a good team and seem to have great chemistry and attitude. I loved the reaction of the Food Scientist doing the sandwich memory challenge when she got it right, that was awesome.

It was nice to see the Dentists get humbled, I will give them credit for having a decent attitude and not sniping at each other when they were doing badly.

I like the last couple of legs, lots of failure potential in the tasks. I especially enjoyed the two ornery animal tasks last week with the ponies and sheep. I really hope they don't screw up with a lousy final leg like last season. And there BETTER be a memory challenge.

There should be a type of pass that you can ONLY give to another team, you can't use it yourself, but you can bargain with them so they have to help you through a challenge you are having trouble with in return for giving it to them. It could have some feature like if you reneg on the arrangement then the pass disappears and doesn't exist anymore.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I'm glad they weren't actually serving those cakes. The dentist lady keeping the flag toothpicks in her mouth and then putting them in the cake was gross.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Celery Face posted:

I'm glad they weren't actually serving those cakes. The dentist lady keeping the flag toothpicks in her mouth and then putting them in the cake was gross.

I think missing a flag was the reason for their first cake being rejected too, so that bit them in the rear end.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Don't contest shows in the US have to have the rules laid out in a very specific way that they must follow or risk getting into trouble? A cursory search tells me that the FCC still has the power to fine game shows for shenanigans. Maybe that portion of the contract was worded strangely or something and they had to stick with it. Either way I'm still pulling for the dentists because I fear that guy would murder his family and commit suicide if he lost. The rest: Shark girl's movie was dumb so I hope they lose soon, cyclists are rad, wrestler guy is funny, and I forget all of the rest of the cast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was enjoying the Dentists' fall so much and it was so deflating when they didn't even lose that pass. This is the first season I've watched so I really have no idea if it was fair or consistent or precedeted or whatever. I just know it FELT convenient and completely negated the edit of the episode.

I love the Cyclists. They just have fun and it's fun to watch. I'm really starting to love the Wrestlers. They're just so goofy and comical. And the Scientists are cool. All three teams make it really fun to watch.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I don't get the hate for the Dentist's. They don't have the classic rudeness and mean attitude of past seasons' alpha teams. They aren't saying "Ugh how did THEY beat us," when people are passing them, they just get frustrated that they aren't doing well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't hate them for the reason you say. They aren't rude. Still, they just seem to carry an air of smugness to them. Maybe now that they've been humbled they'll get better but I have my doubts. But it's not a hate thing. There's just nothing I love to see in reality TV more than someone who declares themselves the best to be knocked down a few pegs. It's a big part of why I watch these reality game shows. In what other area of life can you root for the failure of people who without it actually negatively impacting their lives? I would never want the dentists to lose business or something that hurt their lives. But I'm all for watching them lose a race because they thought they were the best.

I really don't hate anyone on this show. The smug dentists and mother and daughter with issues are the closest and I wish no ill will on them.

Actually I kind of hate the host. But that's just because for some reason I hate his accent.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I don't hate them for the reason you say. They aren't rude. Still, they just seem to carry an air of smugness to them. Maybe now that they've been humbled they'll get better but I have my doubts. But it's not a hate thing. There's just nothing I love to see in reality TV more than someone who declares themselves the best to be knocked down a few pegs. It's a big part of why I watch these reality game shows. In what other area of life can you root for the failure of people who without it actually negatively impacting their lives? I would never want the dentists to lose business or something that hurt their lives. But I'm all for watching them lose a race because they thought they were the best.

I really don't hate anyone on this show. The smug dentists and mother and daughter with issues are the closest and I wish no ill will on them.

Actually I kind of hate the host. But that's just because for some reason I hate his accent.

Y-you hate Phil? The Brow? :stonk:

As for the Mother/Daughter team, I was really pulling for them up to about now. The daughter is a petulant brat. Her behavior is something you'd expect from an adolescent, not someone in their mid-20's.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Zwabu posted:

I loved the reaction of the Food Scientist doing the sandwich memory challenge when she got it right, that was awesome.

You loved the "I'm on TV so I need to do something super exaggerated" reaction? This is the Amazing Race, not Maury Povich.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Ghostpilot posted:

Y-you hate Phil? The Brow? :stonk:

As for the Mother/Daughter team, I was really pulling for them up to about now. The daughter is a petulant brat. Her behavior is something you'd expect from an adolescent, not someone in their mid-20's.

I'm not feeling the mother/daughter team right now but for the opposite reason. No matter how mad you are with your teammate I can't imagine not pointing out when you see the pit stop to prove some sort of point. The daughter is def not handling the stress of the game well but the mom comes across like she's self sabotaging.

Otherwise I'm liking the season so far. There's several teams I like and no one I really dislike. I'm just a bit bummed out by the time move. Def doesn't seem like as many people watching.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I love the Cyclists. They just have fun and it's fun to watch.

So do I! My initial reaction was "ugh, not another generic eXtreme Grrrls team," but they're having a blast and now I want to hang out with them.

It cracked me up this week when they turned the challenges into snack breaks. It's nice to see a team having genuine fun with the race again.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The wrestler guy repeatedly asking if he could eat the cakes was pretty hilarious.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I don't get the hate for the Dentist's. They don't have the classic rudeness and mean attitude of past seasons' alpha teams. They aren't saying "Ugh how did THEY beat us," when people are passing them, they just get frustrated that they aren't doing well.

I agree. I understand finding them the worst of the cast, not that I agree with that statement, but even then they're still waaay better than any of the teams from last season.

I guess we could have Jim going around saying "I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF" and punching Misti. Not that it'd really surprise me if that did happen- look at his eyes!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zwabu posted:

The wrestler guy repeatedly asking if he could eat the cakes was pretty hilarious.

For some reason I like the wrestlers because they are so OK with being the dumb team. They know how they will be played and have rolled with it. I'm digging them so far.

Maybe I just like seeing teams have fun on the race. The cyclist are in that category too.

On the other end of the fence I want to see that dentist get so mad that his eyelid starts twitching. I'm off to work. Someone gif an eye twitch onto that guy for the thread. :)

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
For the other Aussie's here, "The Big Adventure" was on channel 7 tonight, it's basically a mix of big brother and survivor. (Challenges, but the beach front accommodation is shared and provided). It wasn't too bad, looks like a pretty high budget and the challenges were pretty good.

There's a strange way to get eliminated as well, whoever wins the reward challenge picks someone to come to the reward, and then the next day both of you are team captains for the next challenge. The captains "pick teams" for the challenge and the last person who isn't picked goes home. Basically gives the complete power to the guy who wins the "reward" challenge and whoever he picks to come with him on his reward.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-big-adventure/#page1 if anyone's interested, possibly available to stream if you have the right IP.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

xelfer posted:

The captains "pick teams" for the challenge and the last person who isn't picked goes home.

That's going to give a lot of internet people flashbacks to childhood trauma.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

flynt posted:

I'm not feeling the mother/daughter team right now but for the opposite reason. No matter how mad you are with your teammate I can't imagine not pointing out when you see the pit stop to prove some sort of point. The daughter is def not handling the stress of the game well but the mom comes across like she's self sabotaging.

This. After that I completely want them to lose. If you're willing to give up a million dollars to prove a point like that, you shouldn't be in the race. Yeah, the daughter was being stupid, but it clearly doesn't mean as much to the mom as she says.

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!

SteveVizsla posted:

This. After that I completely want them to lose. If you're willing to give up a million dollars to prove a point like that, you shouldn't be in the race. Yeah, the daughter was being stupid, but it clearly doesn't mean as much to the mom as she says.

This to your this.

SteveVizsla posted:

Oh come on. They gave it to you before you said it was non-elim, just take it.

There were some great quotes this episode but man it's been a frustrating one.

The extra BS part of it all, is they have a speed bump which is meant to even things out after a non-elimination round, but they can just come in last and use the save now which negates the point of all the above.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I also feel like the producers use non-elimination legs at their discretion to save teams they want to keep around. I haven't watched the show for a while, but I felt like a few times a fan favorite team had some lovely luck that dropped them to last place and SURPRISE it wasn't an elimination leg. I vaguely remember two hippies having to surrender their pants because they had already surrendered their packs as a penalty on their first non-elimination last-place finish. I loved that team, but I was suspicious that the two times they came in last just HAPPENED to be non-elimination legs.

While non-elim legs do seem to happen at convenient times for certain teams, there's no way for this sort of thing to be rigged and the show to still be on. I'm pretty sure TAR has to follow the rules that were set up after the quiz show scandals from the 1950s.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Save. It's not a bad concept, exactly, but I think I like the idea of an express pass or some other advantage that has to be given to another team by a certain leg. I do know that if I won the Save, I'd spend the entire 9th leg dicking around in whatever country we happened to be in and come in last just so I could have some fun in the race.

SteveVizsla posted:

So very this. At this point the mother/daughter team is the only ones I'd be quite happy to see gone. Everyone else I'm rooting for, or I'm pretty neutral about.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

thedaian posted:

While non-elim legs do seem to happen at convenient times for certain teams, there's no way for this sort of thing to be rigged and the show to still be on. I'm pretty sure TAR has to follow the rules that were set up after the quiz show scandals from the 1950s.

In addition to this, most of the roadblocks/speed bumps/etc. have to be planned a fair bit in advance, so following that logic the non-elims would have to be pre-planned as well.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water
Do we know what happens when the save is used? Will the next-to-last team be eliminated or will that leg become a non-elim?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Wow. This week's episode ended 12 mins ago and zero posts here?

Talk about an abandoned show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It's the move to Friday. I keep forgetting it, and a lot of people are busy Friday nights anyway. The move is probably murdering this show, which is a drat shame. :sigh:

• Locked thread