Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Selfie airs Tuesday nights at 8pm, starting September 30th on ABC.

Selfie is the brand new ABC comedy created by Emily Kapnek (Suburgatory), starring Karen Gillan (NTSF:SD:SUV) as a hippy dippy social media-ite who falls on hard times and John Cho (Go On) as the curmudgeonly old man who teaches her how to be a better person. The pilot's been floating around the internet for awhile. You've probably seen it already. Its abysmal, but so was Suburgatory's, and Kapnek managed to turn that steaming pile of Red Bull and Stepford Wives jokes around for a somewhat successful three season run. I have similar hopes for Selfie, excepting Gillan's terrible American accent.

What's the show about? This video will explain everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIn8365jJ9I

Still with us? Follow Eliza and the show on social networking.

Latest Tweets from The_Doolio:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Bumping because the premiere everybody's already seen and hated is on tonight.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This wasn't that bad. It had some of the same elements I found intriguing in "Your'e the Worst". I don't know how far they can take the show. I'd imagine the ploy of trying to rehabilitate a self absorbed narcissist could get old fast. But, it could have some entertainment potential. I'll give it a chance.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure I reacted to this the way the show "wanted" me to reacted to it. I didn't really think the whole vomit/shame airplane sequence was all that funny. I mostly just felt bad for Eliza, who was having a really awful day. Part of that is an affection for Karen Gillan from her time on Doctor Who and NTSF:SD:SUV. The other part is that Eliza doesn't really seem to be all that bad. Sure, she's self-absorbed, shallow and a bit clueless, but she doesn't seem actively malicious or evil. She might use her sex appeal to get a promotion, but she doesn't seem like she'd use it to have someone demoted on purpose.

Meanwhile, I kind of loathe John Cho's Henry Higgs. He seems to be smugly self-righteous as well as manipulative and to be enjoying his power over another person's life a little bit too much. That's not down to Cho for my part so much as it is the Pygmalian/My Fair Lady story itself. I despise that story with its assumption that Eliza Doolittle is some kind of inferior clay to be molded and shaped into something worthy of men of quality. Plus, the Cho character seems unnecessary given that Eliza informs us in the first scenes of the show that she's already accomplished this kind of total physical/personality transformation once before when she decided she no long wanted to be "butt."

Mostly, this concept seems underthought. There's not enough reason for these two people to be together for any length of time. Really, I'd like to see this show pulled and re-tooled as something a little less dated and misogynist. Maybe something like "Angel on my Iphone." On that show recently deceased marketing executive, John Cho, will only get into Heaven if he helps his vapid Scottish former assistant, Karen Gillan, awake to the world around her and become a better person. He helps her become self-aware and she helps him learn to pull the stick out of his butt and whip a party's rear end with it.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 1, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
There is some decent talent in this show. If they don't hold the writers strictly to the premise this could develop into something.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

No one has complimented it yet but the header image is funnier than the first episode was.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I really wanted to like this and I didn't even get half way through the first episode. I'll keep it on the DVR for the actors but I so hope it gets better.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'll give this another try tonight. Sometimes pilots are weirdly off-kilter. I really want to like this because Karen Gillan is adorable to me but last week's episode did not make it easy.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
This is going to be a one-season-wonder and rightly so, based on the ratings. It might get a back nine, but that's a pretty big "might". I guess enjoy Karen while you can?

Also Lt. Sulu deserves better.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
This is a little better than the pilot. I like that things are more mutual with them taking halting steps into each others' worlds.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Yeah, the second episode was much better than the first. It's still not great, but I won't feel guilty for tuning into Gillan and Cho.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

That green screen in the office environment was horrible. And the other girls in Eliza's apartment building liked her in the pilot, and now they completely hate her, despite very little time going by? Seemed strange. And I am thinking WAY too hard about a show that won't make it to the back half of its season.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Omne posted:

That green screen in the office environment was horrible. And the other girls in Eliza's apartment building liked her in the pilot, and now they completely hate her, despite very little time going by? Seemed strange. And I am thinking WAY too hard about a show that won't make it to the back half of its season.

They didn't like her in the pilot. They only liked giving her a make-under.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

How adorable was Eliza in her book club outfit? :allears:

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Very. This show depends on Gillan and Cho's considerable charisma and timing getting past the horrible premise and writing.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BarbarousBertha posted:

They didn't like her in the pilot. They only liked giving her a make-under.

Huh, I must have missed a scene or two. I thought Eliza talks to her in the elevator about her problem, the neighbor says that she didn't know Eliza knew who she was or was surprised she was talking to her, and then the neighbor and her friends give her a make-over for the wedding.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Omne posted:

Huh, I must have missed a scene or two. I thought Eliza talks to her in the elevator about her problem, the neighbor says that she didn't know Eliza knew who she was or was surprised she was talking to her, and then the neighbor and her friends give her a make-over for the wedding.

Doesn't sound like you missed a scene, actually. In the elevator Eliza bargains for Bryn's help by offering to never anonymously complain about the book club again. Bryn replies, "That was you? You're lucky make unders are my everything."

They just got a kick out of using Eliza as a My size Barbie.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yeah the show seems kind of inherently sexist. Not to mention it's clear the writers think that people overusing social medial is a personal problem when it's probably indicative of a more macro "problem" with society.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My biggest issue with the show is that it feels like there are some smart writers forcing themselves to write too broadly. The best scene was the one where Cho is talking with his ex. And the worst part of that scene was when they kept trying to push the lactation joke. They need to trust the audience a bit more. The conflict and comedy in that scene was that tagging himself made him look creepy. Everyone knows that illicit thrill in looks my up old flames, and the fear of them finding out you might still be attached. That's where that joke should have been.

And they just miss so many opportunities and are so lazy sometimes. I loved how Cho went "tappity tap tap" and had a full profile with picture. If you're gonna make fun of making a Facebook profile this late, make it him agonizing over which pic to use, or whether he needs to put his religion or something. But overall, when she drops the "you're facebooking on your desktop? That's so 2011" joke, I was just thinking "making Facebook jokes? That's so 2011."

Both episodes have only had one laugh out loud moment for me. The last one was "you smell like dead people." "We all do."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This show fills the hole that Suburgatory left in my heart when it was cancelled, and as much as I didn't think Karen Gillan was a good actress coming into it, she's done alright. Consider me on board for the 11 episodes we end up getting before ABC realizes they gave another sitcom to that twee lady who writes songs and makes shows that are weird.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Xibanya posted:

Yeah the show seems kind of inherently sexist. Not to mention it's clear the writers think that people overusing social medial is a personal problem when it's probably indicative of a more macro "problem" with society.

I think the problem is that Eliza is a broader archetype than Tessa was, making the show seem more inherently sexist despite being structured like Suburgatory. Like Eliza in Selfie, Tessa was saved and instructed by a male authority figure (her father) and taught the wrongness of her beliefs by sympathetic women (Dallas and Dahlia). Tessa was both the show's protagonist, and its main villain, and it never hid the fact that her beliefs about conformity in the suburbs were inherently wrong-minded. The reason it didn't come off as sexist was because Tessa's counter-culture attitude gave her an air of intelligence and sophistication. She was wrong not because she was stupid, but because she embraced a different cultural norm. On the other hand, we assume Eliza is shallow and stupid (even though she's not) because those are qualities we associate with people who engage in social media. Thus, we're inclined to be less sympathetic towards Eliza than we were towards Tessa, and view her portrayal as seemingly more sexist despite, as I said, being virtually the same.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 14, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
About to eat a bowl of banana peppers

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Husbands, right? The old ball and...

penis

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
WHO SHE BEEEEEEE WITH

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Twitter quitter, facebook ghost

(She also went on myspace. Who the gently caress goes on myspace?)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Postal Parcel posted:

Twitter quitter, facebook ghost

(She also went on myspace. Who the gently caress goes on myspace?)

People looking for slightly older people.

Also, that dance scene was adorable.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

People looking for slightly older people.
So a shittier version of cougarlife.com?

quote:

Also, that dance scene was adorable.
Dance like nobody's watching

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Please. Please. A-please-please.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Yelp-stalking.
Is that a real thing?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love Charlie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
My family owns a Buca di Beppo, but...

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I was wrong Karen Gillan is not a bad actress. She really sells this character in a way that I don't think too many other actresses could.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

Alright, I was wrong Karen Gillan is not a bad actress. She really sells this character in a way that I don't think too many other actresses could.

There's still something missing, but it seems like it's not the leads

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Karen Gillan's outfit game makes Gossip Girl look like a Macy's catalog.

John Cho wearing a suit under his tearaway suit made me laugh out loud. The second tearaway suit wasn't funny though.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 15, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I like that they're keeping the Suburgatory dynamic of having the two main characters interact, but also have their own lives and storylines in the show where there's often only the minimum of interaction between them. Suburgatory did this with Tessa and her father George, and I'm glad they're doing it again with Eliza and Henry.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
This show is entertaining enough. I guess my bar is pretty low (I watch the Mindy project so yes.)

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Basically my exact thoughts, TMP and all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fewer than 10,000 followers. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I thought I'd make AND enjoy a BIG salad.

• Locked thread