Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jenny and Ian :h::h::h:

Some of the best characters in the book and they're amazing translated to screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Jenny and Ian :h::h::h:

Some of the best characters in the book and they're amazing translated to screen.

Yes! I loved Ian almost immediately, they captured his character's humor really well.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

hollylolly posted:

Yes! I loved Ian almost immediately, they captured his character's humor really well.

Yep. We were laughing out loud at the scenes with the 4 of them. They're doing really well with their dynamic and constantly showing Ian being like "welp" about everything lol

Also man there was a lot of dick in that episode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Okay I'm not too familiar with the history here. Or agriculture. But did she just tell them to get more potatoes? Isn't the famine because of relying on potatoes?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The potato famine in Scotland doesn't happen for another 100 years. I think she was just trying to get her to grow a hearty stable food because the coming war is about to make things pretty bad all around? Not sure. But the potato famine is still quite a ways out.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Potatoes are a new world food, indigenous to the Andes. So as of the current time frame of the show, they barely know what to do with potatoes or how to cook them. My sense is they don't have many, and thrawn is right, the potato famine doesn't happen for quite a while. Claire said she knew of some other famine coming in a couple years, so I assume that affects wheat or grain crops or something.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Jackard posted:

Okay I'm not too familiar with the history here. Or agriculture. But did she just tell them to get more potatoes? Isn't the famine because of relying on potatoes?

She told them to plant potatoes rather than wheat because the yield is much better and they store much longer. Claire is referring to a coming famine because of the looming Jacobite rising and war in 1745 - not the giant potato famine in 1846.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

:stare:

This episode is difficult to watch.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

thrawn527 posted:

the finale won't be much better!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I cringed so hard and turned away from the screen when Randall was about to nail Jamie's hand.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
Binged this show after being at a party and people were pointing out that they could only focus on someone there during the burning scene. He was slightly embarrassed and hadn't watched his scenes in the show yet.

Finding it to be quite an amusing watch, great to see some genuine Scots accents on TV, which occasionally happens - mixed with some horribly bad ones (Geillis the worst). Some phrases are totally mangled too - someone said "Mind yer wheesht" instead of "haud yer wheesht" etc. Giggled to hear people speak about "tossle" in last issue - it's the word my nephew uses :)

I was slightly confused when they first mentioned the Watch. I assumed they had meant the Black Watch - I hadn't heard of the sort of vigilante protection racket described in the show.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

After that episide I am now incapable of ever feeling happiness ever again.

Goodbye world. :suicide:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 20, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'm guessing from reactions that it's best to wait for the next episode and watch them both in one go?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jackard posted:

I'm guessing from reactions that it's best to wait for the next episode and watch them both in one go?

I'd say yes, if there's any 2 episodes that would be "to be continued"s, it's these two.

Though keep in mind that they will both be really, really intense and hard to watch, so if you're worried, then maybe give yourself a break in between.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wait, the finale is next week and not tonight? What the hell, Stars?! You show an episode like that, then take a week off before we get the resolution?

Assholes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like vindication.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, the finale is next week and not tonight? What the hell, Stars?! You show an episode like that, then take a week off before we get the resolution?

Assholes.

I thought this couldn't be right, but it is. :( Still a week until the finale!

In other news, if you're in Orange County, CA, The Block is hosting a display of some of the costumes for the series. I'm too far away, but I'd love to go and get some detailed pictures.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

thrawn527 posted:

Assholes.

Yeah. I'm thinking the reasoning might be because the series is picking up steam a little, and they're doing a series marathon today, so perhaps they're hoping to pick up new viewers before the finale.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
I just watched the penultimate episode of the series and feel a bit sick. That poo poo with Jack Randall and Jamie in the cell was ultra hard to watch. I'm gonna watch some Game of Thrones brutality to cool down a bit.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ZeroDays posted:

I just watched the penultimate episode of the series and feel a bit sick. That poo poo with Jack Randall and Jamie in the cell was ultra hard to watch. I'm gonna watch some Game of Thrones brutality to cool down a bit.

The season finale, which hasn't aired yet, is mostly likely the penultimate episode. If you're thinking that the last one that aired is the hardest to watch... it's not

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The season finale, which hasn't aired yet, is mostly likely the penultimate episode. If you're thinking that the last one that aired is the hardest to watch... it's not

I'm confused. Doesn't penultimate mean second to last? Meaning the season finale can't possibly be the penultimate?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

welp color me schooled, yes apparently it does. hurf durf.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

hollylolly posted:

I thought this couldn't be right, but it is. :( Still a week until the finale!
In other news, if you're in Orange County, CA, The Block is hosting a display of some of the costumes for the series. I'm too far away, but I'd love to go and get some detailed pictures.

I live 3 blocks from this.... do you know if this is still going on? If so, when does it end? I'd grab pictures for the thread.

/goesbacktolurking

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jack Randall's giving Ramsay Bolton a run for his money.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

courtney_beth posted:

I live 3 blocks from this.... do you know if this is still going on? If so, when does it end? I'd grab pictures for the thread.

/goesbacktolurking

http://www.laweekly.com/event/a-tartan-affair-outlander-costume-exhibit-5593306

It runs through the 31st of May! Go! See!

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

We sent some friends to get costume reference photos for us due to being on the opposite side of the country and they said it was definitely worth seeing if you are nearby.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

TLo put up pictures from the exhibition (I'm assuming this is the same one). They aren't super high res, but its enough to get an idea of some of the embroidery work and the felting they did on the witch lady's costume.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Watched the episode tonight cause I have a wedding tomorrow. Not really spoilers, just reaction:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhlsfkhjerhjoseirjgkjdfnhksejrhoserjhnsejnhksjf

I knew what was going to happen and it was still terrrrible ugh. I mean, great television, but ugh.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Just starting it. And there's something I've never seen before.

A viewer discretion warning. On Stars.

I'm scared.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boobs, scottish dudes gently caress muscles... some 18th century rapers. You'll be right

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I feel like this show goes to the rape well so much more often and gratuitously than GoT does.

This ep was really tough to watch. Not really sure I want to watch S2 after that.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That finale apparently made the Hitfix reviewer for the show declare that she's done with it for good:

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/recap-outlander-what-did-i-just-watch

She makes some good points, and exposes a lot of the flaws of the episode. I'll be back for the next season, but only because I feel it's likely to return to form.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

qbert posted:

I feel like this show goes to the rape well so much more often and gratuitously than GoT does.

This ep was really tough to watch. Not really sure I want to watch S2 after that.

Agreed. I feel like I'm pretty tough skinned, and aside from maybe one or two scenes, I have no trouble watching GoT, but I ended up fast forwarding through three (THREE!) rape scenes with the same two characters. WTF?

The writing wasn't all that good to begin with, but it was nice to have a show that felt like it was written for women and of better calibre than the loving lifetime network. I don't know if they're doing it for press/shock value or if the showrunner is some kind of sadist but there doesn't seem to be any justification for it story-wise besides titillation.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

whalesteak posted:

Agreed. I feel like I'm pretty tough skinned, and aside from maybe one or two scenes, I have no trouble watching GoT, but I ended up fast forwarding through three (THREE!) rape scenes with the same two characters. WTF?

The writing wasn't all that good to begin with, but it was nice to have a show that felt like it was written for women and of better calibre than the loving lifetime network. I don't know if they're doing it for press/shock value or if the showrunner is some kind of sadist but there doesn't seem to be any justification for it story-wise besides titillation.

I'm not sure you can pin this on the showrunner, considering this was all in the book.

I was actually really impressed with the episode. Difficult to watch, highly disturbing, but, well, rape usually is. They depicted rape against a man in a way you almost never see in media. I thought it was some drat fine television.

That being said, I completely understand someone not coming back after that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Glad they're getting the gently caress out of Scotland. What a depressing shithole

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not sure you can pin this on the showrunner, considering this was all in the book.

I was actually really impressed with the episode. Difficult to watch, highly disturbing, but, well, rape usually is. They depicted rape against a man in a way you almost never see in media. I thought it was some drat fine television.

That being said, I completely understand someone not coming back after that.

Oh yeah, I figured it was probably in the book, but assumed the showrunner was in charge of how it was portrayed on-screen. To me, it just didn't feel like the camera was being unflinching to better depict the horror of the scene (like Irreversible or something) it just felt prurient.

I also totally agree with you that the show (almost) did a good job of showing how a character is impacted and/or changed when they experience sexual violence (particularly since most media treats male rape as some kind of joke) instead using it as shorthand for a character in peril.

At the start of the ep, I guess i just assumed this was meant to be a bookend to the first episodes- and just as Claire found herself on the battlefield, experiencing the sort of trauma had previously been the province of men, now her husband is recovering from a trauma that was typically associated with women, and from there you might have some interesting character growth for season 2. On the boat though it seemed like the writers were showing that they were both back to normal, so all is well. Maybe I'm overreacting because I'm not accustomed to seeing men in that sort of scene and in a few days I'll reconsider my feelings, but my gut reaction is that the scene felt lurid and overtly sexual.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Disclaimer: book reader

I didn't feel like it was overtly sexual, or just to shock value or something. There's much much more going on in those rape/torture scenes than just physically getting your rocks off. Yes, there's a ton of rape in this first book, yes the show stayed relatively close to the book. The recovery period in the monestery was much longer in the book though, and I felt it was too rushed in the show.

In the books, Jamie is not all right at this point, realistically, the effects of this ordeal last forever. I agree that it seemed too back to normal on the boat, especially after what seemed like a fast recovery.

I hope that people continue to watch the next season. This was by far the most anticipated/feared episode of the books and I personally think they did it justice.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
As a non-book reader, how many attempted rape/actual rape scenes can I expect in Season 2?

Because if someone told me that Season 1 would feature around a dozen, I'd have probably found that a tad high for my tastes.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

qbert posted:

As a non-book reader, how many attempted rape/actual rape scenes can I expect in Season 2?

Because if someone told me that Season 1 would feature around a dozen, I'd have probably found that a tad high for my tastes.

Not nearly as many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
The final episode wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (the torture and other "trigger warning"-type stuff I mean). I think I'd mentally prepared for it by inoculating myself with the previous episode. All that said, I'm as surprised by people's reactions as I was to the whole GoT-Sansa-Consummation-Guest-Starring-Reek thing, that is those who state that any depiction of any sexual violence that is more than a momentary recap is somehow gratuitous and exists only to fulfil sadistic needs of either the audience or the crew. I suppose it's natural to lash out after such a strong emotional reaction and when adrenaline's pumping through you. It's testament to a job well done, I think. Only for shock value? loving right it should shock, you just witnessed someone get raped and branded.

Sorry if my comments are obtuse or offensive, I'm an actual male who has ended up watching this show, so am quite unsophisticated in my tastes. I just see "man get raped, he sad, escape, he better, yay! boat! Pregant".

• Locked thread