Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

I kind of buy your Opop thing, since I felt that, too, but the Mills case reads a lot like a defensive OMGUS-y thing. And if you're scum, actually claiming your buddy is one of the scum would be a decent way to give you credibility, should the Opop lynch take off (and Opop actually turn out to be scum). But that's a big logical mess that I can't really use for a case. I'm mostly just thinking out loud.

Convince me why you declaring Thunderdome wasn't anti-town.

I am just incredibly sure of my read on Mills. Really though, he's a good enough player to know better than to make a case that bad. There's a difference between OMGUS and dishonesty. That he didn't even back it up with a vote until the bandwagon was in motion is just icing on the cake. In my experience it's largely scum who use emoticons like that.

I am sure. I want Mills to get lynched. Thunderdome sounded cool but Mills was too babby.

Sorry I said you were being willfully obtuse. I didn't mean that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Somberbrero posted:

Several other people said no to an extension, it's silly and it's unfair to the scum team. I know how that probably sounds but I want to win the right way.

I have already talked about the lurker lynch and honestly if you can't see the merit in it when we're struggling to put anything together, then you're being willfully obtuse.

I have a strong gut read on Mills and I'm confident he's scum.

Explain the context that makes my "don't lynch someone day one in their first game" position look scummy? I think you're town but the way you're pushing this is legitimately baffling, it's like you're on a buzzword scavenger hunt.
Okay. I get the sportsmanship thing, that makes sense. But I also trust Bowmore as a mod to make the right decisions, especially after everyone jumped on HIM for TTaste's ridiculous JOAT Witch claim in Miller's Hollow.

Policy-lynching as a whole is a kind of long-term thing. If it becomes policy over time, it encourages people to not lurk if they want to live. But within the single game, it's only going to hit two types: The unmotivated player (who is almost always VT), and the rare lucky hit on a lurker scum. That's way too much of a gamble for D1, when almost any other lynch would give us more information.

As for the lynch context, it could possibly be seen as not wanting to get on a vote for someone you know is town. So if the vote on EP did go through, and he did come up as lynched and town, you'd look better for it.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Mills posted:

That is a gross characterization of the facts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I never know how to read Mills. He's just bafflingly alien to me.

Mills, who do you think is least scummy, aside from yourself, based on gut and posting? And why?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Somberbrero (2): fiery_valkyrie, Poison Mushroom, Magnus Gallant, Poison Mushroom, fiery_valkyrie, Poison Mushroom, Mills, fiery_valkyrie, Poison Mushroom, fiery_valkyrie
Tremendous Taste (1): Epsilon Plus
Magnus Gallant (1): Epsilon Plus, CapitalistPig, Epsilon Plus
Mills (1): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig, Somberbrero
Epsilon Plus (0): Mills, Mills
Poison Mushroom (0): Somberbrero, Somberbrero
Opopanax (0): Somberbrero, Somberbrero, Poison Mushroom, Poison Mushroom

Not Voting (4): fiery_valkyrie, Opopanax, Poison Mushroom, Tremendous Taste

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 25th, 2014 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 18 minutes.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Excuse me, random joat vampire

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Excuse me, random joat vampire
That was a hell of a first game to play in, though. :allears:

Somberbrero posted:

Sorry I said you were being willfully obtuse. I didn't mean that.
I know you didn't. You're good people. Usually. Right now, you might be scum people.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

Why are you referring to the town in third person? :crossarms:

My question necessitated me also doing so.

What facts, Mills?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Somb is pushing this concept of me 'casing him with grammar' because I made a single throwaway line. It's his response to this throwaway line, and subsequent posting, that condemns him to the noose. He's doubled down on an argument no town player could possibly believe in, and padded it out with a terrible anecdotal argument that I made use of an emoticon that scum use - this kind of reasoning does nothing but associate unprovable negative concepts to me and is not a legitimate form of scum hunting. This is not real content or a real thought process. It's a glut of words designed to swing opinion through quantity not quality.

Unfortunately for Somb, I am in and out of this thread enough to point out the bullshit.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

Somb is pushing this concept of me 'casing him with grammar' because I made a single throwaway line. It's his response to this throwaway line, and subsequent posting, that condemns him to the noose. He's doubled down on an argument no town player could possibly believe in, and padded it out with a terrible anecdotal argument that I made use of an emoticon that scum use - this kind of reasoning does nothing but associate unprovable negative concepts to me and is not a legitimate form of scum hunting. This is not real content or a real thought process. It's a glut of words designed to swing opinion through quantity not quality.

Unfortunately for Somb, I am in and out of this thread enough to point out the bullshit.

This is a lot of words to say that your grammar case was a joke and I am scum for taking it seriously.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

I never know how to read Mills. He's just bafflingly alien to me.

Mills, who do you think is least scummy, aside from yourself, based on gut and posting? And why?

I think Taste is pretty solid town. I read him as less engaged when playing town. In both Aladdin Mafia and Budapest Mafia he was town and not very useful. In both games he was happy to let me take the lead. I see the same from him here, and I don't see him willfully manipulating that into a meta to fool me in Beard Mafia of all places.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

I think Taste is pretty solid town. I read him as less engaged when playing town. In both Aladdin Mafia and Budapest Mafia he was town and not very useful. In both games he was happy to let me take the lead. I see the same from him here, and I don't see him willfully manipulating that into a meta to fool me in Beard Mafia of all places.

This is the most active I've ever seen Taste, especially on day one.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Mills posted:

Why are you referring to the town in third person? :crossarms:

My question necessitated me also doing so.

this was def a joke.

somber's response is disproportionate to the post he reacted to.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm hoping to do more than Aladdin, I just hate D1

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

this was def a joke.

somber's response is disproportionate to the post he reacted to.

It was like two hours from deadline dude.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

active != engaged

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mills posted:

This is a Good Post.

Mills posted:

This is a Big Post that uses more words than is strictly necessary, but it's not strictly wrong.

Would not vote Mills except to avoid a no-lynch.

And on that note:

##vote Somberbrero

Hour and change until deadline and I have dinner to eat.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
PM Mills is blustering you here arghhhhh.

Elohim, Elohim, why have you forsaken me?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Mills, who are you going to vote tomorrow after I flip town?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

PM Mills is blustering you here arghhhhh.

Elohim, Elohim, why have you forsaken me?
Have you tried engraving Elbereth?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Mills, who are you going to vote tomorrow after I flip town?

I'll vote myself if that happens. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mills posted:

I'll vote myself if that happens. :allears:
I'll do you one better.

If Somberbrero flips town, I will case myself tomorrow to the best of my ability.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Mills posted:

It's a glut of words designed to swing opinion through quantity not quality.

This is really hypocritical.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Also, all of you saying you will case yourselves are idiots.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Also, all of you saying you will case yourselves are idiots.
I appreciate you trying to soften the blow by not calling me out by name.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

Unless we want to lynch Somb first. This is hilarious.

Mills posted:

look at these posts

look at them

Mills is completely manufacturing his reasoning after the fact. It's silly to his post a ~throwaway line~ when we were two hours out from deadline with no candidates.

Mills believes that I can't honestly believe in my case, which is based on Mills terrible reasoning, when he is voting me for making a case that he perceives as having terrible reasoning. What's worse is that he's making this case in the most overwrought way possible, trying to bluster through with phrases like "associate unprovable negative concepts to me and is not a legitimate form of scum hunting." That is not real content and that is not a real thought process.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This is really hypocritical.

I hate this criticism because I wrote 5 sentences and each sentence was its own important point. I am sorry that sometimes I use expressive language!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Actually read that second post out loud to yourselves and tell me what you think.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

##vote meezy

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Actually read that second post out loud to yourselves and tell me what you think.

To be fair, your meta case on Mills is terrible.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Pretend that post was the movie entitled "Somb's gross misrepresentation of the facts" and this is the commentary overlay.

1. True characterization of facts

2. The reason that I am voting him

3. a. Somb unreasonable and difficult

b. Somb deliberately attaching anecdotal negative concepts to me (for what purpose???)

4. Summary: not town

5. More summary

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Votecount for Day 1

Somberbrero (3): fiery_valkyrie, Poison Mushroom, Magnus Gallant, Poison Mushroom, fiery_valkyrie, Poison Mushroom, Mills, fiery_valkyrie, Poison Mushroom, fiery_valkyrie, Poison Mushroom
Mills (2): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig, Somberbrero, Tremendous Taste
Tremendous Taste (1): Epsilon Plus
Magnus Gallant (1): Epsilon Plus, CapitalistPig, Epsilon Plus
Epsilon Plus (0): Mills, Mills
Poison Mushroom (0): Somberbrero, Somberbrero
Opopanax (0): Somberbrero, Somberbrero, Poison Mushroom, Poison Mushroom

Not Voting (2): fiery_valkyrie, Opopanax

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 25th, 2014 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 51 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

To be fair, your meta case on Mills is terrible.

His case on me is worse though, he's just smarter than I am.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm hoping to do more than Aladdin, I just hate D1

You and me both.

---

I think Poison Mushroom's analysis of Mills' posts is good, but I really think the excessive wordery in post 2 is less than convincing. Really, it's the last line that makes me cautious. "Unfortunately for Somb, I am in and out of this thread enough to point out the bullshit" feels overly forceful given the content it's based on.

##unvote

##vote Mills

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

jesus

do you have an opinion on the summary?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

na you dont, you just dont want your scum buddy lynched. np

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I, personally, think that labeling anything as factual (in this case, "true") in a game all about reading other people and figuring out their intent feels pushy. I mean, you've stated your case, but just because your interpretation of the events makes you label something as "true" does not automatically make it true. Both of you are doing it to an extent, but your case feels less believable.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I deeply apologize for rereading the last few pages of posts compulsively

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

is anyone that is not scum still around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yep.

• Locked thread