Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good backdoor pilot. A bit heavy on the overacting, but all in all, I'd give the series a chance.

Loved the giant Godzilla thing :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Wow, there is a significant drop-off in post-per-week quotient, pretty sure, since I haven't been on here in a month or two. BUT:

Xealot posted:

She's the Dean of the show, definitely. But they have like 5 significant characters, so there's always the option.

THIS specifically has been irritating me in all of the recaps or judgements or whatever you want to call anyone who talks about supernatural anymore. There is literally nothing the same about Dean and Claire. I LOVE this show (as much as you can still love it and be irritated at the last 15+ episode decline) and I HATE CLAIRE.

There are numerous sensible reasons for her to be the annoying shitbag that she is, but it's not FUN ANYMORE. She's literally the worst person out of all 6 girls that were left in this episode.

Jodi has been fleshed out beautifully and is awesome.
Donna is a loveable dork!
Older sister had a pretty good story and still acts within those boundaries and is an acceptable backup and does what she does
The Psychic chick is new at this but just drove cross country to save a life, and I like her actress
Kaia is understandably reluctant but give her like 2 more episodes before you draw a conclusion..(lol)
Claire is ALWAYS A PAIN IN THE rear end. PLEASE KILL HER.

And they're intending to build a show around Claire and her diary?? Good luck. They should have kept Kaia, made a diary for Jodi (or the oldest daughter .. yeah I can't remember her name, is it that obvious?) and killed Claire in this episode and had Mirror Clair come back as a bad guy. It would have had a lot more meaning for mirror Claire to be fighting half the rest of the cast than for Mirror Kaia who everyone met like a minute ago?? Even mirror Charlie was more compelling in arguable one of the worst episodes ever.

Plus there are the genuinely dumbassary moments of the episode. I REALLY love seeing all chicks mount up! Because both all team-ups and specifically my gender team ups are cool, but wow, such bad scenes in general, and then:

#1 Claire and Kaiya find the boys in 1 minute from the space-crack when they've been looking for days?? It's just BAD WRITING
#2 They stand around in front of the quickly-closing way to go home for like a solid minute, for no reason!, long enough to get someone killed? This is spectacular bad writing and editing.
#3 I have read some other forums and stuff, but nobody seemed to be even chuffed that they just left her body there when it was like 3 feet from the butt-crack, and they spent like 10 times more time watching her get killed then it would have taken them to bring her body home. It just felt really gross and out of character and out of universe in the way they have created it.

Honestly, it might not seem like it, but this is a show I really wait for all week still, but I have been constantly disappointed in the writing of the last ~20 episodes. There's just a *factor* missing. It doesn't mean that I hate it. I'm just disappointed every week?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Pretty good backdoor pilot. A bit heavy on the overacting, but all in all, I'd give the series a chance.

I hope it makes it through the portal

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know...I haven't been watching this show since season 7, and not to be a fat dick here, but every time I check back into what Supernatural has been doing lately, I find myself reliably dropping in on another round of this thread being really disappointed about one thing or another that the show has done. It ain't always something super dire, but the topic of any given day always seems to be something about "well that didn't make sense" or "this should've happened instead" or "why are they just dropping that plot" or...something like that. I never see any posts about one episode or another being really badass or satisfying or how any seasons are upping their game a bit.

So like.......
I dunno...what even is the draw of this anymore? The production clearly isn't going to be fixing any of the issues that people have with it, because people clearly keep on having these issues. Is the show somehow really worthwhile in spite of those issues? Has it somehow, like, bottomed out in terms of just how far it can fall, and that basal rung is just okay enough to somehow keep people engaged for the thirteenth season? What exactly...is the viewers' relationship with this show anymore?

It's much like X-Files, where there are some good/great individual episodes in each season but the season arc is utter trash.

That said, I think most people here will agree that the season arcs have been serviceable enough over the last few seasons to keep it worthwhile. I think the absolute nadirs have been the Leviathan season and the season where Dean had the mark of Cain.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Was the backdoor pilot picked up for a full series yet or no?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DoggPickle posted:

THIS specifically has been irritating me in all of the recaps or judgements or whatever you want to call anyone who talks about supernatural anymore. There is literally nothing the same about Dean and Claire. I LOVE this show (as much as you can still love it and be irritated at the last 15+ episode decline) and I HATE CLAIRE.

You may not like Claire, but she is extremely similar to Dean. The flippant, rear end in a top hat demeanor, disdain for authority, tendency to jump into dangerous situations without a plan, the weird lone wolf poo poo where she refuses help, the martyr complex where she invites death or injury...it’s all right out of Dean’s playbook.

I mostly find it funny that Kathryn Newton plays the same bratty, rebellious teenage daughter in *everything*. She’s done this in Halt and Catch Fire and Big Little Lies...I’m pretty sure she’s that in Three Billboards prior to getting murdered, and I’m sure there are other examples.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
We skipped ahead a few seasons of our normal podcast coverage (we're about to finish season 6: CASPLZ) to do an episode on Wayward Sisters. If you want to hear two dudes that love Supernatural talk about the new pilot, here's the link for you.

Also, Claire is 100% what Dean was like when he was younger, except with less training and tragedy in her life (which is saying something, Claire's backstory is filled with a lot of tragedy). The big difference between the two of them is that at the end of the episode, she had already acknowledged her need to be supported by other people, and to not run into situations without some sort of plan. The show never showed Dean losing someone he was responsible for until he had been a hunter for years, but Claire is going to already have learned that lesson by the time the show starts (hopefully it starts, anyway).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EC posted:

We skipped ahead a few seasons of our normal podcast coverage (we're about to finish season 6: CASPLZ) to do an episode on Wayward Sisters. If you want to hear two dudes that love Supernatural talk about the new pilot, here's the link for you.
I don't know if I said this before, but I started listening to your podcast when you first posted it in this thread and it's become one of my favourites.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks! We have a ton of fun doing it.

We're gonna start covering the comics soon (tyvm patrons) me OH BOY this first series is hilarious and bad. It really, really leans into John being a terrible father.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DoggPickle posted:

Wow, there is a significant drop-off in post-per-week quotient, pretty sure, since I haven't been on here in a month or two. BUT:

There are numerous sensible reasons for her to be the annoying shitbag that she is, but it's not FUN ANYMORE. She's literally the worst person out of all 6 girls that were left in this episode.

Jodi has been fleshed out beautifully and is awesome.
Donna is a loveable dork!
Older sister had a pretty good story and still acts within those boundaries and is an acceptable backup and does what she does
The Psychic chick is new at this but just drove cross country to save a life, and I like her actress
Kaia is understandably reluctant but give her like 2 more episodes before you draw a conclusion..(lol)
Claire is ALWAYS A PAIN IN THE rear end. PLEASE KILL HER.

And they're intending to build a show around Claire and her diary?? Good luck. They should have kept Kaia, made a diary for Jodi (or the oldest daughter .. yeah I can't remember her name, is it that obvious?) and killed Claire in this episode and had Mirror Clair come back as a bad guy. It would have had a lot more meaning for mirror Claire to be fighting half the rest of the cast than for Mirror Kaia who everyone met like a minute ago?? Even mirror Charlie was more compelling in arguable one of the worst episodes ever.

Plus there are the genuinely dumbassary moments of the episode. I REALLY love seeing all chicks mount up! Because both all team-ups and specifically my gender team ups are cool, but wow, such bad scenes in general, and then:

Yep I was going to say. I liked all the characters there except for the one they focus on the most, who is the worst actor by a league and the least interesting character to boot. It's like they're scared to focus it on the older women in the set, when they are the real draw.

Also I can't be the only one who wanted the soundtrack to start screaming "GO GO POWER SISSSSTERSSSS" every single time those monsters showed up? The way they jumped around and moved making those sounds made me laugh every time.

Xealot posted:

You may not like Claire, but she is extremely similar to Dean. The flippant, rear end in a top hat demeanor, disdain for authority, tendency to jump into dangerous situations without a plan, the weird lone wolf poo poo where she refuses help, the martyr complex where she invites death or injury...it’s all right out of Dean’s playbook.

Actually that irked me a bit because I felt like the writers literally were just writing Dean and shoving it into her mouth. Like literally it could have been a body switching episode.

Plus she can't pull off the cocky thing well, like at all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep I was going to say. I liked all the characters there except for the one they focus on the most, who is the worst actor by a league and the least interesting character to boot. It's like they're scared to focus it on the older women in the set, when they are the real draw.

Also I can't be the only one who wanted the soundtrack to start screaming "GO GO POWER SISSSSTERSSSS" every single time those monsters showed up? The way they jumped around and moved making those sounds made me laugh every time.

Actually that irked me a bit because I felt like the writers literally were just writing Dean and shoving it into her mouth. Like literally it could have been a body switching episode.

Plus she can't pull off the cocky thing well, like at all.

I never don't want the soundtrack to go GO GO POWER X where X is the name of the thing I'm watching.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Over editing too. The literal stop-and-show-you-flashbacks every 5 seconds to drive every single plot point home like otherwise you'd be too loving stupid to get it drove me a little nuts. When you're clip showing the same episode to explain things you've basically just said "I am a lazy loving editor, or a bad one"

I know it was a backdoor pilot but it's still part of a serialized show, it doesn't need to flashback to one episode ago like it was a different series yet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blazing Ownager posted:

Over editing too. The literal stop-and-show-you-flashbacks every 5 seconds to drive every single plot point home like otherwise you'd be too loving stupid to get it drove me a little nuts. When you're clip showing the same episode to explain things you've basically just said "I am a lazy loving editor, or a bad one"

I know it was a backdoor pilot but it's still part of a serialized show, it doesn't need to flashback to one episode ago like it was a different series yet.

That was strange. Maybe they thought some people who don't usually watch the pretty boys stabbing things show might tune in for a pretty girls stabbing things episode?

e: or for studio execs who don't usually watch the show.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 24, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yeah, but how do you pitch this to CW executives?

My god, just look at those nasio labial folds! You expect the CW to make a show about women with wrinkles??? So they went the other way with her character, and had her greying this episode. Have we seen her with grey hairs before?

Still she gets off better than Claire. Now in addition to being badass hunter chick, Claire is a glamour girl who must spend hours a day maintaining her perfect curls and eye makeup even in the middle of poo poo going down.

Old Claire:

Now maybe there's a good in-character reason for that. Maybe to make money to support her hunting she does Youtube hair and makeup tutorials. :newlol:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Donna is all the reason I will need to watch Wayward Sisters because Donna loving rules.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Xealot posted:

I mostly find it funny that Kathryn Newton plays the same bratty, rebellious teenage daughter in *everything*. She’s done this in Halt and Catch Fire and Big Little Lies...I’m pretty sure she’s that in Three Billboards prior to getting murdered, and I’m sure there are other examples.

I like Kathryn Newton but even I've noticed that she seems typecast in almost everything. Though I saw her in the Lady Bird trailer and after her other Bad Grrl roles it's hilarious:

If her other characters saw this they'd all be like

NEEERRRRRD

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/TheJimMichaels/status/955502957105053697

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

January 22nd? :confused:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's the day he announced it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BreakAtmo posted:

I like Kathryn Newton but even I've noticed that she seems typecast in almost everything. Though I saw her in the Lady Bird trailer and after her other Bad Grrl roles it's hilarious:

If her other characters saw this they'd all be like

NEEERRRRRD

I was actually kind of surprised when I looked her up and realized she was in one of the Paranormal Activity sequels. She actually stood out to me as one of the saving graces of the diminishing sequels and she's nothing like "bratty" or "bad grrl".

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I was actually kind of surprised when I looked her up and realized she was in one of the Paranormal Activity sequels. She actually stood out to me as one of the saving graces of the diminishing sequels and she's nothing like "bratty" or "bad grrl".

I can only hope if they pick up the series they won't just write Dean and then name swap them in the script.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I understand the Dean comparisons, but I just don't really agree with them. Yeah, she's a snarky rude rear end who jumps into fights without thinking and doesn't want to settle down. Which she's been for awhile well before this episode. But she actually listened to Jody and stayed behind, she bonded with Kaia, she felt her failure/loss more than Dean has most random people he just met, and she opted to stay home. Some of that stuff took a decade for Dean to learn and he still isn't too consistent about it.

Like, there's obvious tonal similarities with them and to a certain extent that's to be expected given it was Supernatural writers writing a Supernatural episode (and specifically trying to make it FEEL like a Supernatural episode after that Bloodlines debacle). if it gets picked up to series it will have its own writing team and given time Claire has a shot to become a fully formed character of her own.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

that's to be expected given it was Supernatural writers writing a Supernatural episode

Another random thing that drives me nuts in later day Supernatural: Whenever the Winchesters come up with some silly slang for something supernatural like "Did you get your mojo back?" or whatnot, every single powerful entity, when among themselves, use the same slang.

This always has been a thing with the show but in the old days they'd spit out slang, Castiel would slowly pick up on it, and nobody else would really use it unless throwing it back at them. Now it's instant meme the second they say it.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

STAC Goat posted:

I understand the Dean comparisons, but I just don't really agree with them. Yeah, she's a snarky rude rear end who jumps into fights without thinking and doesn't want to settle down. Which she's been for awhile well before this episode. But she actually listened to Jody and stayed behind, she bonded with Kaia, she felt her failure/loss more than Dean has most random people he just met, and she opted to stay home. Some of that stuff took a decade for Dean to learn and he still isn't too consistent about it.

Like, there's obvious tonal similarities with them and to a certain extent that's to be expected given it was Supernatural writers writing a Supernatural episode (and specifically trying to make it FEEL like a Supernatural episode after that Bloodlines debacle). if it gets picked up to series it will have its own writing team and given time Claire has a shot to become a fully formed character of her own.

Its funny that I can disagree with you entirely and still hate the comparisons. Dean was always a hot-head, but name more than 2 times in 200 episodes where he genuinely put himself in knowing danger by being a too-fast-dick. (hot-head lol).

Like I said, I think Claire is just a huge annoying dumbass wet blanket, and if they're trying to base a new show off of her, they've already lost. I give it 13 episodes max.

Maybe it's because I am slowly becoming an older lady but Claire really was the least interesting of all 6 women (and I had no idea about any of those other things that the actress was in.. she just sucks)

Was it just me, or did they stop putting the fat pads on Donna in this last episode? Also, drat Facebook Aunt], those are some sexy pictures of these two ladies who aren't even very old lol!! :black101:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoggPickle posted:

Was it just me, or did they stop putting the fat pads on Donna in this last episode? Also, drat Facebook Aunt], those are some sexy pictures of these two ladies who aren't even very old lol!! :black101:

It's not you. They definitely quit trying to make her look so fat and dumpy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoggPickle posted:

Its funny that I can disagree with you entirely and still hate the comparisons. Dean was always a hot-head, but name more than 2 times in 200 episodes where he genuinely put himself in knowing danger by being a too-fast-dick. (hot-head lol).

Like I said, I think Claire is just a huge annoying dumbass wet blanket, and if they're trying to base a new show off of her, they've already lost. I give it 13 episodes max.

Maybe it's because I am slowly becoming an older lady but Claire really was the least interesting of all 6 women (and I had no idea about any of those other things that the actress was in.. she just sucks)

Why do you hate America?

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 28, 2018

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Rocksicles posted:

Why do you hate America?

LOL you're killin' me. Craigy is my besty. I CRIED his last night on tv.

But I am, in then end,

A girl.

:lol:

CraigyFerg would have HATED CLAIRE. Why do you hate Craigyferg?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoggPickle posted:

LOL you're killin' me. Craigy is my besty. I CRIED his last night on tv.

But I am, in then end,

A girl.

:lol:

CraigyFerg would have HATED CLAIRE. Why do you hate Craigyferg?

I'm English, we have history.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Rocksicles posted:

I'm English, we have history.

Hah right on. Have a good (claire-free) night. :black101:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Love the pilot, hope it's picked up and they run it in the off time like TWD and FTWD so we have more weeks of Supernatural all year..

Was surprised they went there and actually showed the giant dinosaur King Kong thing, and yeah its cheesy as hell.

One question--how did humans even evolve on Monster World?? How do they live and have a day to day society? Also if the little momster guys are just crazed killers that run around with claw hands, how do THEY have clothes?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Astroman posted:

Love the pilot, hope it's picked up and they run it in the off time like TWD and FTWD so we have more weeks of Supernatural all year..

Was surprised they went there and actually showed the giant dinosaur King Kong thing, and yeah its cheesy as hell.

One question--how did humans even evolve on Monster World?? How do they live and have a day to day society? Also if the little momster guys are just crazed killers that run around with claw hands, how do THEY have clothes?

We have zero idea of what the history of that world is. Its entirely possible that in the same way the world Mary and Jack are evolved because the Winchesters didn't stop the Angel Apocalypse that the monster world evolved because of some other thing that didn't get stopped. Maybe on that planet the Winchesters failed to stop Eve from raising her children or the Leviathons or something else. Or maybe its a world where the hunters died wiping out all the angels and demons leaving things vulnerable for all the monsters. Or where Dean opened a door from Purgatory where he got back and it stayed open. Or something entirely unrelated to the Winchesters before they were born? Who knows?

But also, did we even see humans aside from evil Kaia, who could have been dimenions jumping like her counterpart? And who says monsters can't operate sewing machines? That seems racist towards evil blood sucking monsters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watched it again, the Kaia reveal had no weight at all since she was basically nobody. Hooded girl should have been an evil Claire.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It fell kind of flat as a Supernatural reveal because, yeah Kaia was a nobody who had just been introduced.

But if you're able to view it in the context of a pilot for Wayward Sisters then "just introduced" doesn't mean much and it theoretically works better as a setup for the season's main antagonist and storyline.

That just falls kind of flat when you toss a pilot for a show that might not exist in the middle of another show's season that probably doesn't intend to address it again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

At first I thought they were going to shut the door, and we'd never know anything about that world. It would forever be a mystery about the monsters and who the hooded figure was. That would have actually been kinda cool.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was hoping the person would fly around murdering poo poo and then the hood reveal would be Bobby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

I was hoping the person would fly around murdering poo poo and then the hood reveal would be Bobby.

My heart couldn't take that.

Please bring Bobby back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

I think that's kind of the "Supernatural vs Wayward Sisters" problem. We could probably think of dozens of reveals that would have been more interesting as Supernatural fans as an antagonist for the Winchesters. But if you're writing the pilot for Wayward Sisters Bobby makes no sense at all for that moment and its pretty clear the entire Claire/Kaia thing was to set up that reveal.

Well, he does have history with Jody so I guess "no sense" is a bit much.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Well, he does have history with Jody so I guess "no sense" is a bit much.
It's actually worse in that sense because of that. Then you've got to spend time in Wayward Sisters explaining who he is and how Jody knows him, because even though it's a spin-off you can't assume that everyone who watches it saw the original show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Agreed. Like I said, while the Kaia reveal was an underwhelming choice for Supernatural S13E10 it was the most logical one for Wayward Sisters S1E01.

Also I liked Kaia so I was happy to see her staying around in some form. It also meant she wasn't exactly another meaningless guilt death Supernatural does so many of, but at least serves a broader plot purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I know it's pretty lame to keep saying "I wish it was THIS", but I kind of KNEW it was Kaila from the beginning just from her size and shape and how she moved, but I kept wishing the whole time that they would be bold enough to kill Claire and make it a Claire clone, because that would have so much more impact in the future. Claire has background with all the other ladies and Kaia was basically brand new. They could have kept real Kaia and only killed real-Claire, and there would have been lots of baggage to work with and also a cool new actress on the team. Instead we have whiny-rear end real Claire and a villain that everyone met for what, .. a day?

Plus I HATE Claire. I don't know if I'm the real intended audience since I'm old as balls, but I can't help but guess. Tons of girls watch Supernatural. We're probably older than the average CW viewer because it's been on for so drat long. Changing (making a new) the show to all women and focusing on the least popular girl with women, seems like a straight up bad choice. Go ahead though CW and prove me wrong, but I'll be watching for Jody and Donna. As soon as it's all Claire and Alex, I'm done.