Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm re-watching from S1E01, when do the brothers come out of puberty anyone remember? It's funny to listen to them before the truly gruff voices set in :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's actually something to be said for it happening when John dies. Up until that point they're basically just chasing their father around like kids. After that its all trauma and tragedy and demon conspiracy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I still think it's hilarious they both went :stare: when Cas showed up and started talking in the gravelly voice, like "What the poo poo is wrong with this dude? He's going that route? Ok, let's roll" when they themselves are basically doing the same thing from season 2 onward, Jared a little less so than Jenson.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/cw_spn/status/968547530706432001

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Patrick the Man-Witch is on Jessica Jones!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First look at the Scooby Doo crossover

quote:

The Supernatural/Scooby-Doo crossover starts exactly how you’d expect: Dean wrestling a stuffed dinosaur that’s come to life. What? Didn’t see that one coming?

After a case-of-the-week puts Dean in a wrestling match with the live plushy — not the show’s first — a grateful pawnshop owner offers the guys a free TV to say thanks. Sam’s not too keen on the idea, but Dean’s never one to turn down a gift. So, he takes the TV back to the bunker to create his “Dean Cave.” Only, everything’s not as it seems with the present. Spoiler: The boys are sucked into a Scooby-Doo cartoon. “Once they get over their amazement at being in the cartoon, two things happen,” co-showrunner Robert Singer tells EW. “They say, ’We’ve been in a situation like this before with the Trickster and I think we’re supposed to play this out.’ And then they realize they’re in a Scooby-Doo cartoon, which makes Dean incredibly excited because Scooby-Doo was his favorite cartoon growing up.”

In fact, Dean’s extensive Scooby knowledge will come in handy rather quickly when he recognizes the episode they’re in (which is based on the 1970 Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episode “A Night of Fright Is No Delight”). But this episode isn’t exactly a repeat. This time, there’s a Supernatural-level monster at work, and, as co-showrunner Andrew Dabb puts it, “It gets pretty dark.” Singer adds, “There are things you wouldn’t see in a regular Scooby-Doo cartoon.” In other words, the monster won’t be a man in a mask. “They walk into an old episode of Scooby-Doo,” explains Dabb. “But it may end up being a new episode of Supernatural.”

EW has an exclusive first look at the hour, including a shot of Dean holding hands with Daphne, which is no accident. “Dean came of age in a time before the internet when Daphne wasn’t so bad,” Dabb says. “Dean has very strong opinions on all the Scooby characters, but especially Daphne and Fred.” And he’ll get to share them all when “Scoobynatural” airs on Thursday, March 29, at 8 p.m. ET on the CW.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/08/supernatural-scooby-doo-crossover-first-look/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I vaguely knew that htere was going to be a Scooby Doo Supernatural thing and I kind of assumed it would be like that manga that's just another whatever thing. I had no idea it would be an actual episode where Sam and Dean are pulled into a Scooby Doo cartoon.

My good did this brighten up a really crappy day.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Looks good. Their goofy meta episodes usually come out well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got a pool going.

Dean and Daphne get weird
Dean and Shaggy have a sandwich off.
Dean ribs Fred about his ascot.
Sam out nerds Velma, Velma gets weird.
Shaggy and Cas get high.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rocksicles posted:

i got a pool going.

Shaggy and Cas get high.

Dean eats a Scoobie snack.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQbyra1zKo0

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Extended trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4plYWgWGIjE

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This may be the greatest thing ever shown on television.

Like put a fork in it after this, this is the peak. :allears:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Supernatural is a... very weird cultural artifact.

I mean, it's cool and good. But all the reasons why it's cool and good are different from the reasons it's actually still on TV.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When I heard about this scooby stuff I thought it might be the dumbest thing I ever heard, but I also kind of thought that going in to the supernatural musical episode or the one where they go into the alternate reality tv show one and those ended up being among my favorites so I'm looking forward to it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really thought it was just some side thing like the Japanese manga Supernatural thing and every thing since I learned that it was an actual episode has just made me so much happier than I imagined.

I don't even know how I'd attempt to explain this to people who didn't watch Supernatural. Hell, I know some people who watch Supernatural who are going to be confused as me questions I won't know the answer to. I just love it so much.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/cw_spn/status/978315658994728962

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I am unnaturally excited to see this. Like this is right up there with the return of Pellegrino as Lucifer, and almost as excited as I would get if JDM came back as John--which for me would be Peak Supernatural.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm still kind of pointlessly hoping for a Wynonna Earp crossover.

Although the way CW goes these days it's probably way more likely to have the Waverider crash into a new earth and John Constantine get mad at Castiel for stealing his look.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Supernatural, like Agents of Shield, has a lot of ups and downs, but the overwhelming love that the cast and crew have for each other and for making their ridiculous shows comes through in even the worst episodes. I can't think of Spn or AoS anymore without thinking of the blooper reels and the charity projects, and that earns them a lot of leeway when they throw out a Scooby episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In non-Scooby Doo news, there's a movie coming out for a book I loving LOVED as a kid. It was one of the best supernatural horror kids books I ever read and definitely left a lasting impression on me.

Witches, warlocks, ghosts, the raising of the dead, and the end of the world, sound familiar?

Eli Roth is directing it, which seems to be pissing a lot of people off. I haven't seen anything he's done besides poo poo he's acted in, so whatevs. Jack Black and Cate Blanchett are in it, which seems to be pretty decent casting.

But for me the big deal is the writer--Eric Kripke. :dance:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eli Roth has a... certain filming mindset. You can expect gore and violence and probably some sardonic humor and wit. He's pretty good at what he does. Whether or not that fits what you're hoping for I don't know since I never read it.

His most recent filming decision is making an unironic Death Wish remake in 2018 so you're gonna find a lot of people right now who aren't fans of him and his sense of taste and timing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Roth makes gory, comedic movies that go in and out of heavy satire or absurdism, depending on the movie. He tries to be a lot like Takashi Miike (which is why he put him in a cameo in Hostel), and his movies are generally a mixed bag with preferences determining how much a person likes them. For instance, I liked Hostel 1 because I thought it was absurd and ridiculous but still had enough of a layer of social commentary to talk about, while I didn't like 2 because it was TOO on the nose commentary and not absurd enough. Lots of mileage varying there.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I AM ALL IN FOR SCOOBYNATURAL.

Dibs on Velma.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Omg I loved it. It might be up there with The French Mistake and Mystery Spot episodes for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well that was just delightful.

My favorite part might have been just how excited Dean was to own a big screen TV. Which of course he is. Dude's been homeless most of his life.

And you know what? Cas IS kinda like a talking dog.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jared and Jensen are actually pretty decent voice actors, huh. They should just make the show animated from now on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

McSpanky posted:

Jared and Jensen are actually pretty decent voice actors, huh. They should just make the show animated from now on.

Jensen actually has quite a bit of Voice acting under his belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgW7pBKcU4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYZQqCWIgAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI2rvBa8jM8&t=1482s

Jared has only voiced himself on the Supernatural anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdnamc9SmWc

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I totally forgot Jensen was in Under The Red Hood, he was really good in that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

i got a pool going.

Shaggy and Cas get high.

I'm 10 mins in and this is looking good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No Scooby Snacks? This is a travesty.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psychepath posted:

Supernatural, like Agents of Shield, has a lot of ups and downs

If you were doing a stock graph Agents of Shield is more like a straight uphill climb in quality with some leveling out time to time, where Supernatural looks like an Earthquake graph.

That said I will say it: Season 13 has been the best the show's done in like, 6 seasons. The focus on smaller scale stuff and the big metaplot stuff is decent enough this time around and not making my eyes roll out of my head like the daaaarkness. It seems like they both found out how to lay back and not take things so seriously, and some new energy. Like they seem to be having a lot more fun with the show at this point and it shows through.

ED: Best part of all nobody is keeping loving ssssecrets anymore. Goddamn. I almost forgot how much that was a thing; so a big ol' thumbs up for none of that poo poo!

ED: Also it's nice that both main characters are actually managing to save people from time to time again and are back to being likable with no attempts at making them dark and edgy. There's a lot to like about this season and the Winchesters being likable again is a big plus.

Astroman posted:

I am unnaturally excited to see this. Like this is right up there with the return of Pellegrino as Lucifer, and almost as excited as I would get if JDM came back as John--which for me would be Peak Supernatural.

Not sure if you all have been watching Walking Dead lately but I can say without reservation and objectively that between the two shows, Supernatural has the better writing, more consistent characters and vastly better production values and special effects.

I'm saying that about Supernatural so you should know what dire straights Walking Dead is in, heh. Last episodes battle contained so much stupid in 40 minutes it almost blows Supernaturals worst seasons out of the water on its own.

ED: Think I'm joking? https://youtu.be/KPxTVJWkbX4?t=24s. I am 100% convinced that Supernatural's producers would say "gently caress no, this shot is unusable." Not Walking Dead!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 30, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Think I'm joking? https://youtu.be/KPxTVJWkbX4?t=24s. I am 100% convinced that Supernatural's producers would say "gently caress no, this shot is unusable." Not Walking Dead!

No way that's a real scene that aired on real actual television. I refuse to believe it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

No way that's a real scene that aired on real actual television. I refuse to believe it.

There was a scene in the Expanse where someone gets sucked out an airlock. Just as bad, if not worse.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That was really good, much better than it has any right to be considering how silly it sounds on paper. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but I enjoyed it and lolled hard when Dean had the ascot on in the end. It was a bit of a letdown I guess that it ended up being just a run of the mill vengeful spirit considering he at first seemed to have trickster-level reality altering power, but at the same time it's nice to go back to dealing with things that aren't actual gods/archangels etc once in a while.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was indeed as awesome as I was hoping it would be!

The VA cast was impressive as well, they went all out:

-Frank Motherfuckin' Welker as Fred/Scooby-dude is THE VA legend, and original voice of Fred, as well as Megatron, Soundwave, Jabberjaw, and basically everything else since the 60s

-Matthew Lillard as Shaggy-played Shaggy in the live action movie and does a lot of the current Shaggy roles since Kasem died

-Grey DeLisle as Daphne-current VA of Daphne for almost 20 years

-Kate Micucci as Velma-from Scrubs, Garfunkel and Oates, and seems to be the newest VA for Velma

They did it right, thats for sure!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The only issue I had with this episode was that Dean didn't look much like Dean to me. Sam was great, Cas was fine, but Dean just looked like... some guy?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

He looked pretty Sammeh to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've been thinking about this some more because the power of that ghost seemed way out of line for a vengeful spirit. I mean, he transported not only them but an angel to a fictional reality. Does anyone think somehow Gabriel was juicing the kid up to try and let sam and dean know he was still alive? The power level of the ghost and the fact that they bring the trickster up a few times makes me think they're going to reveal somehow that it was another "trickster" episode, just acting through a ghost instead of himself since he's stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Anybody else see Scrappy Doo during the multiple doors hallway scene?