Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've been thinking about this some more because the power of that ghost seemed way out of line for a vengeful spirit. I mean, he transported not only them but an angel to a fictional reality. Does anyone think somehow Gabriel was juicing the kid up to try and let sam and dean know he was still alive? The power level of the ghost and the fact that they bring the trickster up a few times makes me think they're going to reveal somehow that it was another "trickster" episode, just acting through a ghost instead of himself since he's stuck.

Very well could be something to do with Gabriel. We know he's not dead so he's bound to do something this season.

Vulgar posted:

Anybody else see Scrappy Doo during the multiple doors hallway scene?

Yes. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Very well could be something to do with Gabriel. We know he's not dead so he's bound to do something this season.

Yes. :3:

Scrappy do reminds me a real estate agent.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I've been thinking about this some more because the power of that ghost seemed way out of line for a vengeful spirit. I mean, he transported not only them but an angel to a fictional reality. Does anyone think somehow Gabriel was juicing the kid up to try and let sam and dean know he was still alive? The power level of the ghost and the fact that they bring the trickster up a few times makes me think they're going to reveal somehow that it was another "trickster" episode, just acting through a ghost instead of himself since he's stuck.

Given there's a line in there between them wondering if the Trickster is alive, I half wonder if originally it was a Trickster episode but it added too much heavy plot to such a fun stand alone episode so they just simplified it.

Like if some big plot reveal happened in this one, it'd a little... odd.

Astroman posted:

That was indeed as awesome as I was hoping it would be!

What's funny is I had no idea how the episode was going to go and then thought it was some cross-promotion for a new Scooby Doo series and I braced myself for an epic trainwreck.

Then it turned out to be one of their better comedy episodes, which they've not really rocked in a long time. Better than it had any right to be.

ED: They also handled the fact the studio probably told them no about depicting the Scooby Gang with shotguns and grenade launchers well as they could. In fact it probably kept them from falling into the cheap sight gags.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 31, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Given there's a line in there between them wondering if the Trickster is alive, I half wonder if originally it was a Trickster episode but it added too much heavy plot to such a fun stand alone episode so they just simplified it.

Like if some big plot reveal happened in this one, it'd a little... odd.
Yeah, I could see it originally being one of those episodes that starts really silly and ends with important metaplot drama. But then as it developed they just realized there was no way to straddle that line this time so they just went full stand alone silly. Who knows? But it seems plausible.

Alternatively they just wanted to do this crazy thing and we're all nerds if we care about the excuse they made to make it happen.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, the idea for this episode came way before the trickster reveal was even thought of. I think they started working on it mid season last year (animation takes a while to do). The guys finished the voice acting I think right after the finale of last season.

Just was a "wacky" episode. No overarching plot, no tie ins to anything. Just the general "fun" episodes they try to have about once a season over the last couple years.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Well yeah but i could easily see them having castiel say something like "that was no normal ghost, only one thing could have done that" or something next episode when they are back to serious mode.

e: i just want them to save gabriel ok. Don't give the poor guy the adam treatment.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 1, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/jarpad/status/980881047226171392

S14 is a go.

No news about the spin off though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Holy crap.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Literally until the guy running the CW gets bored of it the show will never die. Isn't there a interview with one of the actors or crew where they talked about how some CW execs just love the show and won't let it get cancelled?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was amazing. I didn't think they would top the school play episode but holy hell was that incredible.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know I think I realized why I'm liking this season alot:

1: No secrets. Everyone says what's on their mind within a loving episode.
2: No secret betrayals. I'm glad Crowley's dead, dumb as his death was.
3: No torture. I don't count Lucifier getting sliced up a bit. I'm talking "long scene of heroes chained to a chair reenacting Lethal Weapon 2."
4: Less focus on the main plot
5: A fairly credible threat in the form of the Angels from the other dimension. They seem fully aware that Col. Sanders is an annoyance at best.
6: Jack: I kind of like him. If they do a 'secret evil' thing it'll be lame. On paper I thought he'd be just the worst, but.. he's been pretty cool.
7: No surprise murder of supporting cast. They did scramble poor Rapheal's soulless brain but I have a feeling that's not over yet. i.e. "Hey let's introduce this cool deaf hunter then kill her for a cheap intro."
8: Castiel's been around a bit more which is nice. It'd still be better to see him as a main more often.
9: Bobby, the best character the show has ever had, in any form.
10: See 9. I thought they were going to make him rear end in a top hat Bobby when he started going off on Jack but thank God they didn't stick with that.

Also Lucifier is trashed as a character but the actor is still fun.

Well yeah but i could easily see them having castiel say something like "that was no normal ghost, only one thing could have done that" or something next episode when they are back to serious mode.

e: i just want them to save gabriel ok. Don't give the poor guy the adam treatment.

All I can say is they better be saving Adam for a rainy day as the primary villain.

They're long past the part I can bitch about them just being assholes and letting him rot without even trying but they are well into "Adam has every reason to want to gently caress them up in a million different ways." Like I couldn't even really fault him for it.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No news about the spin off though.

I'm legitimately surprised. Everybody seemed to like it, and it has some real potential.

The only thing I saw (and felt) overwhelmingly is needing to take the spotlight off Claire, and maybe make things a tiny bit less power ranger with the villains. Claire, written as Dean, just isn't capable of holding the show on her own. The cast overall is good though, with Donna and Jodi being the real draws.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 2, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pentyne posted:

Literally until the guy running the CW gets bored of it the show will never die. Isn't there a interview with one of the actors or crew where they talked about how some CW execs just love the show and won't let it get cancelled?

I know the showrunners (and maybe the network) are pretty much like "as long as Jared and Jensen want to keep doing it, we'll keep it going.

Hopefully the spin off goes through, but now that I think of it I haven't heard a thing since it aired so that's not a great sign.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Astroman posted:

Hopefully the spin off goes through, but now that I think of it I haven't heard a thing since it aired so that's not a great sign.

It has to have done better than the other one they tried, which was pretty much Sam and Dean get stuck in an episode of The Vampire Diaries.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flatscan posted:

It has to have done better than the other one they tried, which was pretty much Sam and Dean get stuck in an episode of The Vampire Diaries.

I remember hitting that episode when I jumped on the show during a Netflix binge and was like "What.. the gently caress.. is this." I kept wondering why were spending the entire episode with unlikable extras, then found out it was a backdoor pilot thing. The whole time I thought "Jesus this sucks, I hope this isn't setting up a new plot arc."

The Wayward Sisters thing at least, you knew, drew from characters we actually cared about and with an understandable context.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Astroman posted:

I know the showrunners (and maybe the network) are pretty much like "as long as Jared and Jensen want to keep doing it, we'll keep it going.

CW seems to always try new shows and seems to have adopted a kind of staggered season policy and a lot of half seasons that could be mini-series. And I haven't heard anything about that. So odds are we'll hear news one way or another about Wayward Sisters the same time we find out what new shows they're throwing at the wall and what their new DC crossover/show is.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
While I think this season is the best it's been in a long, long time (much to my surprise) and this episode was pretty solid, the one thing that irked me is how hilariously no-shits given things were over the two Men of Letters that the Winchsters killed.

I mean I can see why they'd let it go being a misunderstanding, but joking practically over their corpses was ice.. cold..

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Flatscan posted:

I still think they should've made a video game sequel to that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I liked this episode but they do what they always do with stuff like this: they make the super powerful universe-destroying gods seem super weak and lame by putting them in a human host. Like the "destroyer of galaxies" or whatever, all they had was a sucker tentacle that came out of her mouth. Big deal. How are you going to consume a universe with a tentacle?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I liked this episode but they do what they always do with stuff like this: they make the super powerful universe-destroying gods seem super weak and lame by putting them in a human host.
Because they don't have the budget for anything else.

My issue was how ridiculously convenient it was that the tentacle pulled her through the portal. If it hadn't she could have just killed them all and opened another one.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Because they don't have the budget for anything else.

My issue was how ridiculously convenient it was that the tentacle pulled her through the portal. If it hadn't she could have just killed them all and opened another one.

Well yeah I know why they do that, but I can still be bothered by it.

And yeah that was kind of lame but at the same time I'm glad they didn't have her stick around and be the unstoppable big bad (until sam and dean find a spell/weapon that effortlessly kills them).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So Gabriel actually had a decent amount of screentime this week, but he hasn't had a single line yet.

Hopefully, he and Sam will get to chat a little bit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I choose to believe that the male tentacle god just missed his mate after 100 years separated so pulled her back in so he wouldn't be alone again.

Its like a Hallmark movie. With tentacles.

Blazing Ownager posted:

While I think this season is the best it's been in a long, long time (much to my surprise) and this episode was pretty solid, the one thing that irked me is how hilariously no-shits given things were over the two Men of Letters that the Winchsters killed.

I mean I can see why they'd let it go being a misunderstanding, but joking practically over their corpses was ice.. cold..

I kind of gave this one a pass because like the Men of Letters went all culty assassin hit on the diner so it was a pretty understandable move to kill those dudes who seemed intent on killing everyone else. There's a pretty familiar untold story there about those two brother-sister Men of Letter descendants who devoted their lives to trying and protecting poo poo from monsters they only have understand with some really questionable choices and approaches.

I was more bothered that once again the Winchesters passed on an opportunity to build a new Men of Letters just like they do EVERY time they meet a descendant of the Men of Letters or hunters who seem like prime recruits.

And by "bothered" I mean "its something I'd like to see but I've come to accept it isn't happening."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't get the impression that those guys knew much about the world of monsters and hunters, they just knew they had to keep that god contained and that was basically it.

Biggest "Wtf?" moments to me were how the MOL had archangel grace just laying around in their headquarters/chapterhouse/frat house. 2 vials, at the least. That seems like an incredibly hard thing to get, much less find twice.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was mostly joking, but yeah. They had the knowledge of the MoL, the ability to do some complicated magic that the Winchesters only learned from The Demon Tablet, and a whole bunch of rare supplies including archangel grace. I don't imagine they knew who the Winchesters were or hunt vampires on the weekend. They seemed like they just kind of hunkered down with their own touch of evil and locked the doors. But they knew some poo poo and had devoted their lives to the cause.

They were yet another in a long list of people I quietly was hoping Sam would start that whole Men of Letters revival/hunter network thing he's seemed to toss around a few times. Or I just imagine in my head.

I look forward to them calling Sam next season and getting killed.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 9, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

One day they will try to find one of these old chapter houses and find the land was long ago seized for non-payment of taxes and there's a walmart there now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I was mostly joking, but yeah. They had the knowledge of the MoL, the ability to do some complicated magic that the Winchesters only learned from The Demon Tablet, and a whole bunch of rare supplies including archangel grace.

And cool matching robes. Can't forget the robes.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Facebook Aunt posted:

One day they will try to find one of these old chapter houses and find the land was long ago seized for non-payment of taxes and there's a walmart there now.
Assuming they didn't lay the social commentary on thick -- which, granted, would be the temptation, and it would be awful -- this would be entirely appropriate for this show in terms of the working-class Americana vibe they haven't really done a good job addressing the past few seasons. (Stuck-up Brits complaining that "American hunters = hicks" every opportunity doesn't count.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DirtyRobot posted:

Assuming they didn't lay the social commentary on thick -- which, granted, would be the temptation, and it would be awful -- this would be entirely appropriate for this show in terms of the working-class Americana vibe they haven't really done a good job addressing the past few seasons. (Stuck-up Brits complaining that "American hunters = hicks" every opportunity doesn't count.)

It would be a pretty good idea for an episode if shoppers at a big box labyrinth kept disappearing, and it was because one of these packs of idiots had stashed a poorly monitored otherworldly creature in one of their underground clubhouses 100 years ago and it got loose.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

poo poo, that could just be the plot of next season--Sam, Dean, Cas, Mary, Jack, and Ketch ("Can we trust him? Does Mom still like him?") can clean up MoL lairs and descendents across the country. No world ending threat, plenty of space for MOTW episodes too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That reminds me, do Sam and Dean know Ketch banged their mom?

Because like if they needed more reason to want to kill him...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of gave this one a pass because like the Men of Letters went all culty assassin hit on the diner so it was a pretty understandable move to kill those dudes who seemed intent on killing everyone else. There's a pretty familiar untold story there about those two brother-sister Men of Letter descendants who devoted their lives to trying and protecting poo poo from monsters they only have understand with some really questionable choices and approaches.

I was more bothered that once again the Winchesters passed on an opportunity to build a new Men of Letters just like they do EVERY time they meet a descendant of the Men of Letters or hunters who seem like prime recruits.

And by "bothered" I mean "its something I'd like to see but I've come to accept it isn't happening."

Oh I don't think it was remotely questionable they killed the guys at the diner, they were way more than justified. But once it came out what was happening, not even a single "Sorry about your friends" was pretty hilarious, like the writers completely forgot they killed anyone. That said, this season continues to be the best in like 5+ seasons. There's no gaping plot holes, no hair-pulling secret bullshit and Amadeus ended up being EXACTLY the kind of punch line I thought he'd be.

I've almost forgotten about the multiple seasons where every episode was people not telling each other things, people bitching at each other, then people making pained expressions while they get cut tied to a chair. It feels like there's kind of a renewed energy going on with the show and a lighter tone that gels with things a lot better.

It might sound like all I ever do is bitch endlessly but credit where it's due, I've found few serious gripes with this season. I've come to accept Lucifer is just a joke now, but at least he's becoming a funny one. That exorcism scene was hilarious. The plot may be super simple this season but at least it's not riddled with hair-pulling gaping holes.

ED: The callback to Charlie's death was hilarious though. I wish Dean had told Ketch WHAT killed her:
"So let me get this straight. She was an accomplished Hunter but got killed by a guy who's only power was having redundant internal organs and a missing arm?"
"Well later, we had a showdown and he got a new arm off some college pot dealer. He called it an upgrade."
"How did you EVER stop such a monster?"
"I shot him."

The Steins remain my favorite dumb as gently caress faction ever to grace Supernatural. They claimed to do 9/11, repeatedly died from normal injuries and thought having extra organs stuffed in your body made you cool despite not really doing much at all. Their most redeeming quantity was going out like a bitch.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 14, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The Steins remain my favorite dumb as gently caress faction ever to grace Supernatural. They claimed to do 9/11, repeatedly died from normal injuries and thought having extra organs stuffed in your body made you cool despite not really doing much at all. Their most redeeming quantity was going out like a bitch.
I can't even imagine what the writers were thinking with them. They played them up like they were a serious threat but they were basically just some dudes. They weren't even operating on a large scale or anything because it was just one family. They were the kind of bad guy that you'd expect to take up a single episode in season one or two.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I really miss the old Death. The new lady is OK but the original guy had so much more character.

also supernatural: please stop bringing back annoying characters. I don't want/need more Charlie or rowena. Stick to bringing back good characters like Bobby.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kinda dug the arc for Rowena. Was honestly a bit surprised they didn't throw in a possibility of Crowley returning.

Did Lucifer just gently caress off? I've remember him being bitched at last week but not a "I'ma go home!" moment.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I kinda dug the arc for Rowena. Was honestly a bit surprised they didn't throw in a possibility of Crowley returning.

Did Lucifer just gently caress off? I've remember him being bitched at last week but not a "I'ma go home!" moment.

the show has a budget. less actors means less cost. made me think of the off screen rowena death

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bringing Charlie back was enough to get me to quit watching the episode right there.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Charlie is awful but Rowena is great

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CheesyDog posted:

Charlie is awful but Rowena is great

Agreed. I really don't care for Felicia Day at all.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Agreed. I really don't care for Felicia Day at all.

I'm sure she's perfectly nice as a person, but she seems to end up entirely in nerd stuntcasting roles.

Rowena is great because, actresses aside, she's the only human (and definitely the only woman) who can consistently gently caress over both the Winchesters and the demons/angels/gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm fine with Charlie. I was never part of the Felicia Day hate in "genre" fans, which is probably in part that I don't want near as much "genre" stuff she might have appeared in to get tired of her.

I think Rowena's gotten overused the last few seasons and part of me was ready for Sam to kill her. But I'm ok with the story they told. I didn't buy in fully to power mad thing but it worked enough.

And I always appreciate when the Winchesters call friends. Even if they should probably take note that all their truly useful friends are megalomaniacal amoral pricks.